RTP: Start fining drunk drivers up to 200,000 baht!

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Reading comprehension not your strength. 

Your comment can very easily be misconstrued:

"yes unfortunately, the one who will be in the position of having to pay will be the ones least able to afford pay"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"He wants to see this increased to at least 100,000 baht and possibly even 200,000 baht in serious cases."

Sounds like an easy way for police to increase their bribes to 50,000 baht. That is, if it were a corrupt country, and not an honorable and honest nation like Thailand.

Name me one honest country or politicians. I have traveled many places and still looking for one. ?

2 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Can you please help us to understand how law is applied so that we do not think about the law in Thai society incorrectly? Please, do tell

Take you about 3 years to look, listen, and take onboard...:stoner:

20 minutes ago, transam said:

If you don't understand my post then perhaps you will not understand anything regarding LOS well after 3 years...:stoner:

I understand it pretty dang well for a person who is not born in Thailand. My post was specific to the guy who stated that a foreigner did not understand the Thai law; although, the foreigner is just upset with what us westerners view as an unfair system. I'm not going to say what I presume to be the case, which is why I asked him to explain more. Do you understand exactly what the person said? How often have you got into an argument solely because you did not understand the other person's point. Often in life we hear what we want to hear based on where we are in life, where we have been and where we think we are going or where we want to be going. Thus, I wanted the poster to explain himself better since "you and I" do not understand Thai law well enough. I can presume what he means, which sounds like what you are doing, but are you sure you are right that you know exactly what the poster meant?

18 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"He wants to see this increased to at least 100,000 baht and possibly even 200,000 baht in serious cases."

Sounds like an easy way for police to increase their bribes to 50,000 baht. That is, if it were a corrupt country, and not an honorable and honest nation like Thailand.

You're going to need to pop to the ATM to get the tea money now at those rates...I'm sure that they'll let you drive there intoxicated if you leave your driver's licence behind as a guarantee. 

2 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

I understand it pretty dang well for a person who is not born in Thailand. My post was specific to the guy who stated that a foreigner did not understand the Thai law; although, the foreigner is just upset with what us westerners view as an unfair system. I'm not going to say what I presume to be the case, which is why I asked him to explain more. Do you understand exactly what the person said? How often have you got into an argument solely because you did not understand the other person's point. Often in life we hear what we want to hear based on where we are in life, where we have been and where we think we are going or where we want to be going. Thus, I wanted the poster to explain himself better since "you and I" do not understand Thai law well enough. I can presume what he means, which sounds like what you are doing, but are you sure you are right that you know exactly what the poster meant?

3 years +....

7 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

0.5 grams per litre of blood.

I believe it should be 0.05g (50mg) but the insurance company might have 0.02g (20mg) so if there is an accident and you below the legal limit you might ending up paying for everything out of your own pocket.  0.05 g per liter is equal to 0.5‰ if I'm not misstaken.

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes i did.

Its was a joke,    just like the police force of Thailand,  when it comes to

road safety.

Sorry so many old grumpy people  have a regular sense of humour failure on Tv. :coffee1: 

Ps,  100,000 - 200,000 is not realistic. :crazy:

I don't know about you, but when I read the same 'joke' 10 times a day, every day, it doesn't seem very funny anymore. At least you didn't mention brown envelopes.

8 hours ago, helloagain said:

I agree stanleycoin. I get so pissed at the 2 tier price. Its the same crime. Thais are obsessed with the word farang. My thai wife has been to many countries now and not once has she heard somebody say that asian over there.

What the most peoples (farangs) don't like is to say that word farang is an offense. For me is it!

Have you guys every had a weird experience with the police breathalyzer test?

Last week I was stopped in Pattaya (around 11pm) and asked to blow the thing. I had no drinks at all and the device showed so. However the cop asked me: "did you drink today?" - I said no, but he insisted "not even one beer?" - I said I had no drinks again and then he told I could go.

What was he trying to do? Make me confess a drink that I didn't have and didn't beep the machine?

8 minutes ago, Lunchbob said:

I hope they will, but what to do if the dude does not have the money?

What about Corporal punishment.  ( no pay,  we whack away )

5 whacks with the bat,  at the side of the road, no if's or buts, 

and vehicle confiscated. 

Maybe just use a small paddle for the ladies. :giggle:

New Slogan.

5 Whacks a day,  keep the Drunks at bay   :jap:

Bht 200,000 fine for a lot of Thai drivers is a jail sentence anyway, How the hell are they going to pay

unless they have a pretty young daughter.

The problem is endemic, in that the normal rules of the road have not been enforced  in many years

by the police or the Transport Department . Now, all of a sudden you want them to obey,

It's not gonna happen

1 hour ago, transam said:

3 years +....

Ha...lol., I see now where you got your 3 years from, but you're way off the mark. I understand why though. It seems you're not too keen on asking questions, but just thinking you know it all. No wonder Thailand's laws and mores seem dark to you.

20 hours ago, jaltsc said:

My thoughts exactly. It's a start, but they need to improve the cash-handling. With this much cash in play, the cases should go to a magistrate, not fines collected on the street by cops.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

My thoughts exactly. It's a start, but they need to improve the cash-handling. With this much cash in play, the cases should go to a magistrate, not fines collected on the street by cops.

Your forgetting where you are "magistrate" you mean an uncorrupted one or one who got the position due to he knows the right people? 

The whole system needs a massive overhaul!

9 hours ago, glennb6 said:

I'm going to waste a minute making an argument that cannot be won...

1. Say I have a few drinks, drive my scooter from the bar back home. Done. No dents, no accidents, no problems.

What foul have I committed?

Should I have been stopped by the popo and fined for

a) eating a ham and cheese sandwich before driving home?

b) not tipping the bartender?

c) committing anti-social behavior that harmed nobody?

d) none of the above?

None good point this time?  it is only a problem if you are over the limit,  if the over the limit is apply all the time and evenly?

You got a rule or law, drinking limit?  You have few drinks bar to home each time no dents, accident etc..  this time while you are going through a intersection with green light a vehicle runs the light while you going through it found later after all the pieces are pick up the guy tells the police "  I had a few drinks bar to home never had a problem dents, accident "  if you were still alive would this excuse be o.k. with you?  Not everyone is you and not everyone using this line will ever admit they had too many?

50 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Ha...lol., I see now where you got your 3 years from, but you're way off the mark. I understand why though. It seems you're not too keen on asking questions, but just thinking you know it all. No wonder Thailand's laws and mores seem dark to you.

I don't need to ask questions, I am well past he 3 years mark regarding a few LOS subjects....

BUT, if you spot Garners Pickled Onions anywhere in LOS I would be delighted to know...:stoner:

Well, you can live your whole life in thailand and listen again & again & again to this sort of story. Corruption is so well established that it has become an institution. When communists took over China(1949) the first thing they did was to execute corrupted officials(all the Nationalist government officials). The executions were publicly done so a lot of people realized communists were serious when they said they wanted no corruption. They got the fright of their lives, they dared not accepted any gifts or any favours.

Things in China came to a standstill, nobody moved everyone was so careful, everyone watching everyone.

So how's Thailand going to get its people to obey the laws without public executions. Just execute about 30 or so people who drink and drive (at same time ignore the International human rights group-they noisy, busybody), then things will start to look up. Cheers

Ask the average thais are not all these big fines just gimmick ? Public execution is no gimmick it saves lives in the long run. This is the only medicine for a stubborn disease.

50 minutes ago, madusa said:

Well, you can live your whole life in thailand and listen again & again & again to this sort of story. Corruption is so well established that it has become an institution. When communists took over China(1949) the first thing they did was to execute corrupted officials(all the Nationalist government officials). The executions were publicly done so a lot of people realized communists were serious when they said they wanted no corruption. They got the fright of their lives, they dared not accepted any gifts or any favours.

Things in China came to a standstill, nobody moved everyone was so careful, everyone watching everyone.

So how's Thailand going to get its people to obey the laws without public executions. Just execute about 30 or so people who drink and drive (at same time ignore the International human rights group-they noisy, busybody), then things will start to look up. Cheers

Ask the average thais are not all these big fines just gimmick ? Public execution is no gimmick it saves lives in the long run. This is the only medicine for a stubborn disease.

Do what the Vietnamese government dictated when the made it compulsory for driver and passengers to wear and buckle up motor cycle helmets.

From day one of the new  anybody caught not complying with either point their motor cycle was confiscated forever and no chance of retrieval for any reason.

It worked.

Archived