Ride on mower transaxle

CGW

This is a long shot! Transaxle has gone on Murray ride on mower, trying to source new appears to be impossible?

If anyone knows of who or where a "Spicer 4360-195 (or 148), John Deere part #AM131576" may be available, please let me know.

Looking like a new mower is on the horizon!

Thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a couple of photos of the mower and the transaxle on here. There will be lots of different transaxles that will fit...

The more photos the better....What horsepower Engine?

Tell me whats happening with the transaxle...

Is it Manual or Hydrastatic?

1 minute ago, CGW said:

"Claimed HP = 13" pictures below, from what I can make out the 4360-195 was superseded by the 148?

20180519_152728.jpg

20180525_123700.jpg

20180525_123758.jpg

Hang on a few minutes....I'll get back to you...

Tell me exactly whats happening with the Transaxle...They can be repaired quite easily sometimes...

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm assuming there is no drive. Have you had it apart?  Might not be stripped gears might just be lack of engagement?

Drive "locks up" when a gear is selected, the "input shaft" has excessive play, from what I can make out on the drawing, there are only shims to hold it, no bearings, which I suspect will have created wear in the housing also.

No haven't had it apart as don't have a puller for the pulley.

Just now, CGW said:

Drive "locks up" when a gear is selected, the "input shaft" has excessive play, from what I can make out on the drawing, there are only shims to hold it, no bearings, which I suspect will have created wear in the housing also.

No haven't had it apart as don't have a puller for the pulley.

OK...The diff needs to come apart as i suspect the drive plate inside has broken one or more studs off...

NOT a big job...Check also that the bushes (Bronze) on either side where the axle comes out of housing aren't worn badly. this misaligns everthing inside and hence the broken stud (s)...You dont want a puller for that pulley, they come off easy with a little tap with a hammer all around...

On 5/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, weegee said:

OK...The diff needs to come apart as i suspect the drive plate inside has broken one or more studs off...

NOT a big job...Check also that the bushes (Bronze) on either side where the axle comes out of housing aren't worn badly. this misaligns everthing inside and hence the broken stud (s)...You dont want a puller for that pulley, they come off easy with a little tap with a hammer all around...

The pulley eventually pulled off! so opened it up! - now I need an industrial degreaser to try and figure it out, can't see anything broken, massive wear on the input shaft and housing.

Ok...just use diesel and clean out the excess grease inside...

The input shaft...Has it got bearings?...If not they are held in place with a bush. if the bush is worn and you can lift the shaft up and down more than say a couple of mil....Theres the problem. It is falling down too tight on the crown (drive) wheel.

My guess without seeing is, you need to have a new bush turned and replace that first. This is a stupid idea, and we looked at putting bearings there but it's too hard to do....While open try to spin it by hand in different positions...you will see what i mean. That input has to be in the right place and everything turns easy when you hit the sweet spot...

If thats ok....then go for the spacers (Shims) inside between the gears, and make sure when you take them out, if you do, that you put them exactly in the same place as you took from....although they may look the same thickness they are not! If you need to get these made somewhere, first check online for the size they need to be, but you can buy them in USA off the shelf....Have a look also at the Bronze bushes where the drive shafts leave the housing on each side...like before they can also be turned up easily....If worn they will throw out the aligment inside.

SEND PHOTOS of opened up...

25 minutes ago, weegee said:

Just read your posts again....I see where you said no bearings on the input shaft....

When you have had a look....we will go from there.

The only problem appears to be with the input shaft & bevel gear, really it all needs to be replaced, nothing is going to seal on it anymore! There is no bearing, there is no shim either, gone - worn away! looks like at one time you could get a kit that replaced the shim with a needle bearing, but - not available anymore.

If the parts were available its "fairly" straightforward to replace - given that I don't have access to a machine shop - may be difficult to press out the old shim, problem is looks like there are no spare parts available!

20180526_200604.jpg

20180526_200511.jpg

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

The only problem appears to be with the input shaft & bevel gear, really it all needs to be replaced, nothing is going to seal on it anymore! There is no bearing, there is no shim either, gone - worn away! looks like at one time you could get a kit that replaced the shim with a needle bearing, but - not available anymore.

If the parts were available its "fairly" straightforward to replace - given that I don't have access to a machine shop - may be difficult to press out the old shim, problem is looks like there are no spare parts available!

20180526_200604.jpg

20180526_200511.jpg

Has that input shaft got any teeth left on it....it doesnt look like it in the photo....

Honest...that housing can be rebushed....but the bevel Gear looks well and truly stuffed. I can get it done here, for you.

Contact in US is looking for parts for you....I just have to wait until he contacts me....

16 minutes ago, weegee said:

Honest...that housing can be rebushed....but the bevel Gear looks well and truly stuffed. I can get it done here, for you.

Contact in US is looking for parts for you....I just have to wait until he contacts me....

For sure the housing can be re-bushed, I have a working halftime of "southern engineering" behind me! Be better with a needle bearing as you said, from what I read while looking for parts a "SCE 108" bearing will work - don't quote me on that though!

Hope your contact is able to come up with some leads for parts.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

16 hours ago, weegee said:

Has that input shaft got any teeth left on it....it doesn't look like it in the photo....

It still has a little "meat" left - not much!

Having just made an attempt to push the "other" lawn mower around 2 1/2 rai its all probably going to be inconsequential as near killed me! :ohmy: 

Cheers

20180527_122419.jpg

It would have been a simpler proposition ordering weapons of mass destruction from North Korea and getting them hand carried by Thacksin, than finding and ordering the parts required for this Transaxle!

I know far more than I ever wanted too about the process involved! "Most" of the ride on mowers use the same parts!

Transaxles go under various names, Tecumseh, Dana, Peerless, Spicer, John Deere etc, these are all the same parts, the company that now owns the rights to manufacture appears to be Husqvarna.

Eventually ............ found the parts I need using a John Deere part #, also ordered a couple of bearings of the shelf (# SCE108) as they should work better than the shims supplied with the replacement kit, removed the old shim, casing still in good shape, which was a concern, hopefully new parts don't take too long to arrive & the grass doesn't continue growing at the rapid rate it currently is!

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

There’s a husky dealer in Lat Krabang near the ring road

Theres a John Deere dealer in Bangkok also, trying to navigate their websites is beyond me! I exhausted getting parts in Thailand - I think :ohmy:

Ordered from US via ebay, if you try getting direct from a dealer in the USA they wont/cant post international!

7 hours ago, CGW said:

It would have been a simpler proposition ordering weapons of mass destruction from North Korea and getting them hand carried by Thacksin, than finding and ordering the parts required for this Transaxle!

I know far more than I ever wanted too about the process involved! "Most" of the ride on mowers use the same parts!

Transaxles go under various names, Tecumseh, Dana, Peerless, Spicer, John Deere etc, these are all the same parts, the company that now owns the rights to manufacture appears to be Husqvarna.

Eventually ............ found the parts I need using a John Deere part #, also ordered a couple of bearings of the shelf (# SCE108) as they should work better than the shims supplied with the replacement kit, removed the old shim, casing still in good shape, which was a concern, hopefully new parts don't take too long to arrive & the grass doesn't continue growing at the rapid rate it currently is!

It's just coming on Daylight Monday for my contact in US....Do you want me to tell him not to worry looking anymore? He will probably email me tonight when i am asleep, if he has a lead for your parts....

7 minutes ago, weegee said:

It's just coming on Daylight Monday for my contact in US....Do you want me to tell him not to worry looking anymore? He will probably email me tonight when i am asleep, if he has a lead for your parts....

Yes, tell him, thanks for looking & thanks for your help, parts kit on the way from US & the bearings coming from China - hopefully!

Cheers

You are a lucky man....a company I use in the states had, would you believe, 37 new ones for sale. They were snapped up in a couple of days....Said on their site,  they wont be stocked anymore. So one thing sounds for sure, that they are not making anymore New Ones....

2 hours ago, weegee said:

You are a lucky man...

Not so sure about that! determined yes, it helped that I have a lot of experience searching for spare parts from my years as a wage slave! These parts were hard to find due to the companies involved being bought and sold so many times, I ended up with pages of part numbers and notes.

I would guess that "someone" is trying to be the sole provider of these units which explains all the buying and selling, from what I could fathom that "someone" is Husqvarna, I bet in the near future parts and availability will be controlled and their will be steep price increases as they have cornered the market? I really didn't want to start this job, gut feeling?  all I want to do is cut the bloody grass! ? (watch the wife to be accurate!)

Cheers

Archived