Ride on mower transaxle

CGW

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weegee said:

Wife's Birthday soon....I have decided to buy her a New hat, so she doesnt get sick while in the hot sun, and doesnt finish the mowing....?

Now theres a thought! with all the work I have done to keep this machine running I could go ahead and fit a fan in the "machine" for her, remember the 12v fans that we used to put in cars before AC became available! wonder if they still sell them? I don't want to spoil her though so will have to think this through ...................... ?

Now theres a thought! with all the work I have done to keep this machine running I could go ahead and fit a fan in the "machine" for her, remember the 12v fans that we used to put in cars before AC became available! wonder if they still sell them? I don't want to spoil her though so will have to think this through ...................... [emoji848]

Better to just fit an umbrella....without a fan she needs to keep moving...

Learning point!

If anyone else has a similar "machine" and you have an hour to spare, (try) pull off the rear wheels and coat axle with Never-Seez or grease, mine had never been greased when assembled, difficult to dissemble would be an understatement! Needed an abundance of heat and manual persuasion before they decided to move!

21 minutes ago, CGW said:

Learning point!

If anyone else has a similar "machine" and you have an hour to spare, (try) pull off the rear wheels and coat axle with Never-Seez or grease, mine had never been greased when assembled, difficult to dissemble would be an understatement! Needed an abundance of heat and manual persuasion before they decided to move!

tee hee....good fun hey?

41 minutes ago, weegee said:

tee hee....good fun hey?

Wild times indeed! ? 

My retirement is turning out to be different to the "Plan", agricultural machinery mechanic was not in the plan, I would have built a better workshop if I'd had the foresight, instead of a well stocked bar & pool! ? 

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Wild times indeed! ? 

My retirement is turning out to be different to the "Plan", agricultural machinery mechanic was not in the plan, I would have built a better workshop if I'd had the foresight, instead of a well stocked bar & pool! ? 

Me too....But I have a reasonable size workshop for playgroup...The Pool was a waste of time here, now i realize that i spend most of my time in the shed or mowing lawns....Never get time to swim in the pool.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:58 PM, CGW said:

"SCE 108" bearing will work - don't quote me on that though!

These are the correct bearings, they came in today (USD 3.00 for two.) and should give better service than the bushing, ideally should put a grease nipple into the housing in-between the two bearings, but as I don't have a grease nipple or a tap or even a grease gun, will pass on that and rely on a splash of gear oil occasionally!

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Can you drill a small hole in the housing to drop oil in the center?

Plug it with a match-stick when not in use...

The housing & bearings are vertical so no, the bearings are not sealed so will be able to lubricate from the top. It's a poor piece of design on these units as the original bushing is not lubricated in any way, they will always be the first point of failure. IMO 

The housing & bearings are vertical so no, the bearings are not sealed so will be able to lubricate from the top. It's a poor piece of design on these units as the original bushing is not lubricated in any way, they will always be the first point of failure. IMO 

The bushings were likely oil-impregnated powder bronze (like pilot bearings).

55 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Believe you are correct, will see when the new shaft and bushing finally arrive? believe bearings and grease would give a lot longer service life, may cut the bushing and put a  piece in-between the two bearings as there will be a ~ 1/2" gap.

58 minutes ago, weegee said:

Photos?????....And an update.

Still waiting on the shaft kit, will take some photos when I assemble it, I'm going to use gear oil when assembling also, not packing it with grease, don't think much of that idea, though for sure there will be a few drips!

On 6/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, mogandave said:

The "kit" arrived this evening, there was no breakdown of what it contained when I ordered, surprised it also has new bevel gear, plus what is required to adjust backlash plus washers etc.

There is no bushing, they have "upgraded" to bearings (the same as I had bought! wasted $3!) they also include a small bag of grease & instructions, there are seals for the pinion shaft to keep grease in place, kit is well done. (tempting fate?)

Will put the bearings in the freezer tonight and hopefully get it back together in the morning?

This is the "kit" unpacked, highlight of my day ? (the gearing is different, now is 12 x 36 tooth, previously was 14 x 42 tooth)

The low-light of the day was when they bought my car back from repairs with a bill for 13k Baht after rats had made a home under the bonnet of car and decided to tuck into whatever was tasty, which included two x rad hoses, bonnet insulation and assorted wiring looms!

20180609_193242[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I would guess grease too, doesn't seem to be much of it ?

Agree on the cutters ?

Actually, when I opened mine I was very surprised how little grease is used inside the Transaxle....

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I would guess grease too, doesn't seem to be much of it ?

It's grease! to be used for packing the new bearings and the gap in-between, then you install the seal on the gearbox side to keep grease in place.

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Actually, when I opened mine I was very surprised how little grease is used inside the Transaxle....

Going to use 90w oil, don't think much of the grease idea!

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Agree on the cutters ?

Thanks, theres a story behind them!

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Any chance of a photo of the Bearings they sent to convert from using Bush on the pinion?

The bearings were chilling! they are the same as previously mentioned, I will use the ones they sent as German, "mine" are Chinese, special guest in picture due to popularity! ?

20180610_111809[1].jpg

Archived