Ride on mower transaxle

CGW

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulley installed, all seems to work as it should! Now for the painful bit, putting it back on the machine, my old bones don't like bending too much!

In foreground old parts and parts excess!

20180610_143433[1].jpg

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Pulley installed, all seems to work as it should! Now for the painful bit, putting it back on the machine, my old bones don't like bending too much!

In foreground old parts and parts excess!

20180610_143433[1].jpg

No parts or tools forgotten inside? 

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Wondered where the 2½ pound ball pein hammer was! I hope there is nothing inside, its just about all back together, seriously - there really isn't enough room inside to leave anything - I hope! :shock1: 

I forgot to add that 1 litre of oil is more than enough to fill the internals.

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

And how much of that is actually doing anything?
Most of it just makes a mess...

This was why I used oil, a lot of the grease does nothing, quite a few rusty areas inside when I first opened it up as no lubrication, & lots of messy grease doing nothing apart from holding metal filings! 

17 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Hang on to those spacers left over...They are like gold here....and besides, I know where to get one in a hurry...?

Top job, and i hope the first test mowing was fun again...

14 hours ago, CGW said:

The end. it works, (some!) grass cut, dam sight easier than pushing the other thing ?

What next?

Boy , you didnt muck around with the repairs....

Next job, a cold beer and a rest...we are getting old you know.

9 hours ago, weegee said:

Next job, a cold beer and a rest...we are getting old you know.

Yep, enjoyed a few cold ones last night, caught up on the grass cutting today. "Getting old" my knees are telling me I am old! ?

One thing (hindsight!!) I should have done was drill a hole in the top casing so can top up with gear oil occasionally, it was always going to seep a little oil from around the axle's as no oil seal, could have drilled a hole and used "liquid steel" or similar to stick on a collar with a blind plug in top, probably not a big deal as the rest of the machine will most likely have fallen to pieces before it needs any more oil.

17 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yep, enjoyed a few cold ones last night, caught up on the grass cutting today. "Getting old" my knees are telling me I am old! ?

One thing (hindsight!!) I should have done was drill a hole in the top casing so can top up with gear oil occasionally, it was always going to seep a little oil from around the axle's as no oil seal, could have drilled a hole and used "liquid steel" or similar to stick on a collar with a blind plug in top, probably not a big deal as the rest of the machine will most likely have fallen to pieces before it needs any more oil.

Yep a small reservoir where you can see when it's empty, would be good,...Glad all turned out well for you...

Photo above was my project from scratch, as i couldnt find parts available for gear you can buy here....

Little ripper of a machine, powered by Kubota diesel, geared to produce 60HP at the front of the gearbox....

Photo above was my project from scratch, as i couldnt find parts available for gear you can buy here....
Little ripper of a machine, powered by Kubota diesel, geared to produce 60HP at the front of the gearbox....

Looks like fun..,

When I was a kid, our vertical-shaft rotary mower had a PITA wind-up starter rather than a pull-start.

When the starter finally went south, my dad just took it off and we started it with a 1/2” drill-motor equipped with a socket and an extension.

4 hours ago, weegee said:

Has anyone heard from CGW?....or has he ridden of into the sunset on his mighty machine....?

Hope he hasnt end up in a ditch somewhere.

Worry not, still enjoying the freedom the industrial age brings :shock1:

Neighbors doubtless cursing me as the exhaust has fallen of yet again! so much for Red loctite holding the bolts! liquid steel next time ?

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Neighbors doubtless cursing me as the exhaust has fallen of yet again! so much for Red loctite holding the bolts! liquid steel next time ?

Studs with brass nuts may cure that stuff...:stoner:

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Studs with brass nuts may cure that stuff...:stoner:

Be worth a try if I had studs and nuts, no idea where I would get "imperial" studs and nuts up here in the sticks, believe they are 5/16" UNF, I have a box full of old bolts but there all metric ?

Ideally the engine casing threads need a helicoil as in poor shape, trying to avoid the hassle of doing things correctly ?

Will try hi temp liquid steel, see if that will hold the bolts in place?

1 hour ago, CGW said:

OR...fabricate a new exhaust !!!

If it's a Briggs & Stratton Engine, the exhausts are cheap as chips....

Ride it like you hate it...Full throttle, no exhaust....would not even come close to the noise from the music volume played around here....?

22 hours ago, weegee said:

Ride it like you hate it

That wont be difficult, don't think there is a Murray ride on mower appreciation club! ?

Shall tell the wife to drive it like its stolen! while I get around to bodging the exhaust yet again! 

Do NOT tell weegee about this...He will never let it go....

As some may know I fooled around with V8 engines and raced them too...

So I bought an old Qualcast petrol mower with a ploblem....Spent many hours trying to sort it...I even gave it a severe thrashing with a tree branch but it still told me to bugger off..

I eventually fixed the ploblem....Cost me about 300 quid for a new one....bored.gif.f91ae0509f46479635cf38c289a79457.gif

3 hours ago, transam said:

Do NOT tell weegee about this...He will never let it go....

As some may know I fooled around with V8 engines and raced them too...

So I bought an old Qualcast petrol mower with a ploblem....Spent many hours trying to sort it...I even gave it a severe thrashing with a tree branch but it still told me to bugger off..

I eventually fixed the ploblem....Cost me about 300 quid for a new one....bored.gif.f91ae0509f46479635cf38c289a79457.gif

I will bet....You didnt put fuel in it did ya....?

All you had to do was probably reset the gap for the Mag to the flywheel....job done.

4 hours ago, CGW said:

That wont be difficult, don't think there is a Murray ride on mower appreciation club! ?

Shall tell the wife to drive it like its stolen! while I get around to bodging the exhaust yet again! 

All jokes aside....go to a pharmacy and buy a Plaster cast wrap that you put on broken bones and just rub water into it to make it go off....Put that around the exhaust as good as you can....VROOOM...shes a goer. Surely they are available here.

It's in a roll, so easy to apply.

19 minutes ago, weegee said:

All jokes aside....go to a pharmacy and buy a Plaster cast wrap that you put on broken bones and just rub water into it to make it go off....Put that around the exhaust as good as you can....VROOOM...shes a goer. Surely they are available here.

It's in a roll, so easy to apply.

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/gun-gum-silencer-repair-bandage/

GG8RA_Gun-Gum-Bandage_GBPL-271x640.png

Never seen them here.

Archived