Ride on mower transaxle

CGW

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weegee said:

Me either....Thats why i suggested the Plaster bandage wrap....surely they are.

The exhaust is in good condition, not seen much action as keeps falling off! first time was about a week after I bought it! The problem is the two bolts that hold it onto the cylinder head keep falling out - the threads in the head are in poor condition and need a "helicoil", my solution will be liquid steel if I can find any High Temp stuff, plenty of low temp available but it just melts, same as red loctite, I really don't want to take engine out to repair stud holes.

11 hours ago, CGW said:

The exhaust is in good condition, not seen much action as keeps falling off! first time was about a week after I bought it! The problem is the two bolts that hold it onto the cylinder head keep falling out - the threads in the head are in poor condition and need a "helicoil", my solution will be liquid steel if I can find any High Temp stuff, plenty of low temp available but it just melts, same as red loctite, I really don't want to take engine out to repair stud holes.

tee hee....Think of all this experience you are gaining...?

Now I get what problem you have...why not go one size bigger with the bolt and thread, if it's easy to get at...Helicoil is probably the way to go.

tee hee....Think of all this experience you are gaining...[emoji16]
Now I get what problem you have...why not go one size bigger with the bolt and thread, if it's easy to get at...Helicoil is probably the way to go.

Assuming the head is aluminum, the Helicoil is (IMO) a better long term fix.

I would use new lock-washers in conjunction with the high-temp Loctite. What is the temp range for the Loctite anyway? Exhausts get pretty dang hot...

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Assuming the head is aluminum, the Helicoil is (IMO) a better long term fix.

I agree Helicoil is better, problem is I sold my taps and Helicoil set in 1989 thinking I would never need them again, last use of them was barrel studs on a Triumph Bonneville.

What is the temp range for the Loctite anyway? Exhausts get pretty dang hot...

Temp range for loctite is max ~260°c, exhaust port is probably around ~ 700°c, explains why that didn't work!

3 hours ago, weegee said:

if it's easy to get at.

Not, if you are of normal proportions! ?

Like most things on the "Mighty Mower" the exhaust design is not "optimised" (to be polite) too much "flex" in the bolts when it is flanged up.

20180617_110215[1].jpg

Not, if you are of normal proportions! [emoji846]

Like most things on the "Mighty Mower" the exhaust design is not "optimised" (to be polite) too much "flex" in the bolts when it is flanged up.

1964905690_20180617_1102151.thumb.jpg.788ba72ce13c3e6d54bcdafd6ad2b6db.jpg

Maybe you could use stripper/shoulder bolts to get them tight enough.

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Maybe you could use stripper/shoulder bolts to get them tight enough.

I can get them tight, but with the wear in the head threads and the flex on the exhaust they just pop out ? Basically tightening them up against a piece of tin!

Not so easy to get new bolts as they are Imperial, they also need to be a reasonable grade, 5 or up due to the heat I reckon?

I can get them tight, but with the wear in the head threads and the flex on the exhaust they just pop out [emoji20] Basically tightening them up against a piece of tin!
Not so easy to get new bolts as they are Imperial, they also need to be a reasonable grade, 5 or up due to the heat I reckon?

With a shoulder-bolt it would tighten against the head rather than the “tin”

You could also drill out the “tin” and use a sleeve.

Lazada has some cheap Helicoil kits...

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You could also drill out the “tin” and use a sleeve.

I was thinking about this option this morning, be fairly simple - if I have any material to use as a sleeve?

Cheers

I was thinking about this option this morning, be fairly simple - if I have any material to use as a sleeve?
Cheers

Finding tubing that small might be though without buying a full length.

If you have a decent machine shop around they could probably help you if you’re not fussy about material.

23 hours ago, CGW said:

Not so easy to get new bolts as they are Imperial,

Easy. Any decent nut and bolt shop. I could go for a walk tomorrow.

How many ? what size? 

Edit: You say 5/16 UNF. Have you tried a 8mm fine pitch They are almost identical Core dia, pitch etc.  8mm being a gnat's cock bigger

If all else fails use Permatex high temp epoxy and install studs in the block then use nuts to secure the exhaust?

Thanks for the ideas, as below I have taken a slightly less technical approach, somehow don't think it will last, but worth a try! I was thinking of tack welding the heads, but not having a welding machine shut down that idea!

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

How many ? what size? 

Can't measure until they fall out again ? not sure of the thread? tried to look up but appears to be top secret! 

15 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I’m guessing those are SAE threads, not fine...

Your most likely correct, mine was a guess !

20180618_132207[1].jpg

27 minutes ago, weegee said:

CGW....While you have everybody's attention, what else needs to be fixed on the mower?...?

I hate to say this, but for now!! - all is well, I have new battery, new battery leads, new ignition switches, rewired, new starter relay, new belts and fly pulleys for both drives, oil changed, air filter changed, numerous loose bolts tightened, carb cleaned out, new petrol tank, cutting blade sharpened and balanced, front tires filled with expanding foam..........

What else can go wrong? :shock1:

1 minute ago, CGW said:

I hate to say this, but for now!! - all is well, I have new battery, new battery leads, new ignition switches, rewired, new starter relay, new belts and fly pulleys for both drives, oil changed, air filter changed, numerous loose bolts tightened, carb cleaned out, new petrol tank, cutting blade sharpened and balanced, front tires filled with expanding foam..........

What else can go wrong? :shock1:

Someone will sell you Fuel that's got a lot of water in it....?

Could be wrong (fist time for everything) but I’m guessing those are SAE threads, not fine...

Never leave home without one's ZEUS book?

SAE? 5/16 -24 same as Whitworth or UNC. 5/16 - 24 same as UNF and 8mm fine

But it is all gooped up now until next time.

Archived