multi parametric mri

Negita43

No do not know any. I know of ones that have MRI's and use them but no one at the hospital can interpret them.

I went to a large private hospital in muang Petchebun. They did an MRI cost me 18,000 baht.I did not get any paper work nothing. just the bill. Not even a verbal explanation. Nothing for 18,000 baht.

After they did the MRI the urologist wanted to do xrays also. He could not even see on the MRI that I had an enlarged bladder. I needed an empty bladder for xray they put in catheter attached to a bag. I filled the bag. The doctor was shocked. They emptied the bag I filled it again.The doctor came to xray room and saw the bag was full again and got angry. He pulled out the catheter and  used a large syringe to get rest of urine out. No one in the hospital could look at the MRI and see my huge,huge baldder.

MRi's are a waste of money here.

I'm inclined to agree. I had a scan to identify a kidney stone location. The operator also wanted to put in a catheter - I refused.

I got no report on the scan just a hand written diagram of where the stone was.

Thank you Sheryl

I had previously looked at this thread  and contacted by email Dr. Viroj Chodchoy at Bumrungrad. "He has treated several TV members for prostate cancer. https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Viroj-Chodchoy, and got this answer"

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Regarding your inquiry, we regret to informed you that the multinparametric MRI of the prostrate is not available in our facility yet.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best regards,

Kris 

I notice that the posts in the link you give are from 2016 but I will certainly contact the 3 hospitals listed in your post.on that thread.

Thanks again

• 8 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, Negita43 said:

Thank you Sheryl

I had previously looked at this thread  and contacted by email Dr. Viroj Chodchoy at Bumrungrad. "He has treated several TV members for prostate cancer. https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Viroj-Chodchoy, and got this answer"

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Regarding your inquiry, we regret to informed you that the multinparametric MRI of the prostrate is not available in our facility yet.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Best regards,

Kris 

I notice that the posts in the link you give are from 2016 but I will certainly contact the 3 hospitals listed in your post.on that thread.

Thanks again

For what it is worth, I had an MP MRI (3T) done a Bumrungrad last week, for about 51000 THB.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

In the UK it's about £750 but I guess if you add the airfare it works ou about the same!

Anyway my view is at my age it's not worth it.

Current opinion seems to be that over 75s are more likely to die of something else before the prostrate gets them.

Better to leave the money to the girlfriend!!! (or spend it on enjoying myself before I go)!

17 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks

In the UK it's about £750 but I guess if you add the airfare it works ou about the same!

Current opinion seems to be that over 75s are more likely to die of something else before the prostrate gets them.

Better to leave the money to the girlfriend!!! (or spend it on enjoying myself before I go)!

It very much depends on whether it is a slow growing or aggressive cancer. What you say is true only of slow growing ones.

36 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks

I am 66 and I'll get my yearly MRIs; so far Cigna paid as day surgery at 100%. I am under active surveillance, with a large (100cc) prostate and chronic prostatitis, keen cyclist and sexually active, so MRI is the best option to monitor cancer progress. I'll do probably targeted biopsies when the cancer becomes visible again on the MRI.

I wanted an MPMRI in autumn of last year. I was quoted about ฿50k in Thailand - couldn't find cheaper.

A private hospital in London quoted me £1000 (฿40k). Since I had planned a trip back to the UK anyway I decided to have it done in London - a bit more confident about their abilities.  Brand new 3T Siemens machine and the report was ready within 24 hours.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:16 AM, Sheryl said:

It very much depends on whether it is a slow growing or aggressive cancer. What you say is true only of slow growing ones.

"Aggessive" depends on what aggressive means in terms of time.

If it's "aggressive" then paying 50K thai Baht to find out isn't worth it becaause most treatments for this would only give a short extra time and the treatment often is worse than the disease.

(my PSA has been around 6 for over a year now). And another thing, the ralationship between PSA and prostrate cancer, is it a causal or indicative one)

When you gotta go you gotta go. If I were 40 then I might have a different view!

22 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

And another thing, the ralationship between PSA and prostrate cancer, is it a causal or indicative one)

Sensitivity is 86%, this means that 86% of men who have a prostate cancer will have a PSA over 4.

Selectivity is 33%, this means that (only?) 33% of men with a PSA over 4 will have a prostate cancer.

Sensitivity and selectivity interesting and many articles say that as you age PSA becomes higher.

"Even without any prostate problems, your PSA level can go up gradually as you age. At age 40, a PSA of 2.5 is the normal limit, says John Milner, MD, a urologist in the Chicago area. "By age 60, the limit is up to 4.5; by age 70, a PSA of 6.5 could be considered normal."

Many similar articles on the net.

It's not that I'm burying my head in the sand, I'm trying to be realistic because apart from this PSA level I seem pretty healthy - resting BP 117/75

treadmill walking, minimum 4 kilometers at 6Kph, a day.

Spending money is easy - spending it wisely is more difficult

That is specificity not selectibity.

PSA rises with age because almost all older men have some degree of BPH and this also increases PSA.

The specificity of PSA is considerably higher for values over 10.most men with values that high, unless they have prostatitis, will turn out to have prostate cancer.

Besides absolute value the PSA velicity (how fast it rises) is important esoecially in identifying aggressive cancers which for older men is what really matters. Finding very slow growing prostate cancer in men aged 70+ is of debatable value.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Sensitivity and selectivity interesting and many articles say that as you age PSA becomes higher.

"Even without any prostate problems, your PSA level can go up gradually as you age. At age 40, a PSA of 2.5 is the normal limit, says John Milner, MD, a urologist in the Chicago area. "By age 60, the limit is up to 4.5; by age 70, a PSA of 6.5 could be considered normal."

Many similar articles on the net.

It's not that I'm burying my head in the sand, I'm trying to be realistic because apart from this PSA level I seem pretty healthy - resting BP 117/75

treadmill walking, minimum 4 kilometers at 6Kph, a day.

Spending money is easy - spending it wisely is more difficult

If I was you, I'd do the following:

Get your PSA/Free PSA done every 6 months. The PSA/Free PSA ratio as well as the PSA rise if any being more important the PSA value at instant t.

If you don't want the MRI get an ultrasound to establish the actual volume of your prostate so your doctor can factor that into his assessment.

On 2/16/2019 at 5:09 AM, KiChakayan said:

If I was you, I'd do the following:

Get your PSA/Free PSA done every 6 months. The PSA/Free PSA ratio as well as the PSA rise if any being more important the PSA value at instant t.

If you don't want the MRI get an ultrasound to establish the actual volume of your prostate so your doctor can factor that into his assessment. 

Thanks,

Yes I have followed very much followed that route

1. Ultrasound 1 year ago in annual checkup (that's what triggered the attention) mildly enlarged prostrate about 32.2 Ml PSA 6.6

2. Free PSA/PSA (in Spain about 2 months after the above)   6.392  free psa 0.314 Ratio 0.05- not good I believe (my doctor here says they do not do free PSA otherwise I would have rechecked it).

3. Quarterly PSA over 1 year (in Thailand) after this annual check up - first -5.65/5.06/6.62/6.4 - latest (all in same hospital as annual checkup).

Next annual checkup in 1 month! (so that will give prostrate volume change if any).

Thanks again

Archived