BANGKOK 19 March 2019 21:39
Negita43

multi parametric mri

Sensitivity and selectivity interesting and many articles say that as you age PSA becomes higher.

"Even without any prostate problems, your PSA level can go up gradually as you age. At age 40, a PSA of 2.5 is the normal limit, says John Milner, MD, a urologist in the Chicago area. "By age 60, the limit is up to 4.5; by age 70, a PSA of 6.5 could be considered normal."

Many similar articles on the net.

It's not that I'm burying my head in the sand, I'm trying to be realistic because apart from this PSA level I seem pretty healthy - resting BP 117/75

treadmill walking, minimum 4 kilometers at 6Kph, a day.

Spending money is easy - spending it wisely is more difficult

That is specificity not selectibity.

PSA rises with age because almost all older men have some degree of BPH and this also increases PSA.

The specificity of PSA is considerably higher for values over 10.most men with values that high, unless they have prostatitis, will turn out to have prostate cancer.

Besides absolute value the PSA velicity (how fast it rises) is important esoecially in identifying aggressive cancers which for older men is what really matters. Finding very slow growing prostate cancer in men aged 70+ is of debatable value.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Sensitivity and selectivity interesting and many articles say that as you age PSA becomes higher.

"Even without any prostate problems, your PSA level can go up gradually as you age. At age 40, a PSA of 2.5 is the normal limit, says John Milner, MD, a urologist in the Chicago area. "By age 60, the limit is up to 4.5; by age 70, a PSA of 6.5 could be considered normal."

Many similar articles on the net.

It's not that I'm burying my head in the sand, I'm trying to be realistic because apart from this PSA level I seem pretty healthy - resting BP 117/75

treadmill walking, minimum 4 kilometers at 6Kph, a day.

Spending money is easy - spending it wisely is more difficult

If I was you, I'd do the following:

Get your PSA/Free PSA done every 6 months. The PSA/Free PSA ratio as well as the PSA rise if any being more important the PSA value at instant t.

If you don't want the MRI get an ultrasound to establish the actual volume of your prostate so your doctor can factor that into his assessment.

On 2/16/2019 at 5:09 AM, KiChakayan said:

If I was you, I'd do the following:

Get your PSA/Free PSA done every 6 months. The PSA/Free PSA ratio as well as the PSA rise if any being more important the PSA value at instant t.

If you don't want the MRI get an ultrasound to establish the actual volume of your prostate so your doctor can factor that into his assessment. 

Thanks,

Yes I have followed very much followed that route

1. Ultrasound 1 year ago in annual checkup (that's what triggered the attention) mildly enlarged prostrate about 32.2 Ml PSA 6.6

2. Free PSA/PSA (in Spain about 2 months after the above)   6.392  free psa 0.314 Ratio 0.05- not good I believe (my doctor here says they do not do free PSA otherwise I would have rechecked it).

3. Quarterly PSA over 1 year (in Thailand) after this annual check up - first -5.65/5.06/6.62/6.4 - latest (all in same hospital as annual checkup).

Next annual checkup in 1 month! (so that will give prostrate volume change if any).

Thanks again