Man Beaten And Stabbed In Marine Plaza..........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: January 30th 2007

Attack in Marine Plaza Area

On 30th January at 4 am, the police were informed that a foreigner was attacked in Marine Plaza area. He was in a serious condition, and many people were crowding around him since he lost a lot of blood.

At the scene the team found Mr. Wasantaeng, a 33 year old Thai-American lying in pain on the ground. He was immediately taken to the hospital.

It was found that earlier, Mr. Wasantaeng came out with a friend to get something to drink. On arrival, he unintentionally parked his CBR motorbike in front of a motorbike taxi stand and they told him to remove it since it was blocking their exit and entrance. Both parties got into an argument and then a fight started and Mr. Wasantaeng was beaten up by the gang of bike drivers.

About 10 minutes later, the hospital informed the police that Mr. Wasantaeng had also been stabbed in the chest. Not long after, three other men were brought into the hospital with serious injuries. The motorbike taxi that brought the men in told the police that they came from Marine Plaza area.

The police think that this group is the other party involved in the fight with Mr. Wasantaeng, but more questioning will be made once they recover.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: January 30th 2007

A bit more information in this report:

4 injured including American National in chaotic scuffle at motorbike taxi rank.

A case of assault now which got completely out of control and led to four men becoming injured as the result of a chaotic fight which occurred at around 5am on Tuesday at the front of the Marine Plaza Hotel on the Pratamnuk Road in South Pattaya.

Police Captain Sureeyar from Pattaya Police Station took up the case and received word of a foreigner who had become injured during a scuffle involving motorbike taxi drivers and others. Due to the seriousness of the case, Police Colonel Sutin, the Chief of Pattaya Police joined the investigation and heard from Khun Pisadree aged 33, the girlfriend of Mr. Watsan aged 23 who was originally born in Thailand but is now an American National.

He had sustained knife wounds to his face and an injury caused by a blow to the head. The other three injured men are motorbike taxi drivers and received various stab wounds to their upper body. Khun Pisadree told Police that the pair had parked their motorbike in a space normally taken by motorbike taxi drivers and were told to move their vehicle immediately. They initially refused and were allegedly set-upon by the motorbike taxi drivers.

Other Thai men joined the fracas but clearly were not able to distinguish between the victim and the attackers leading to the injuries sustained by the motorbike taxi drivers. Witness statements are now being collated by Police who are piecing together the chain of events leading to this chaotic fight

A couple of months back a friend of mine parked his bike in the taxi stand in front of the Royal Plaza Mall. One of the drivers told him to move his bike as that area was for motor bike taxis. My friend told him anybody could park there. Needless to say when he came back his tires were flat. This was during the day. Guess would have been a lot worse if at night.

A couple of months back a friend of mine parked his bike in the taxi stand in front of the Royal Plaza Mall. One of the drivers told him to move his bike as that area was for motor bike taxis. My friend told him anybody could park there. Needless to say when he came back his tires were flat. This was during the day. Guess would have been a lot worse if at night.

You mean Royal Garden, right?

I really don't understand the management of RG don't clear out that scum, it can't possible be good for business having them hanging around in front of the mall, bullying potential customers away.

More good news out of Pattaya.

I wont be visiting anytime soon....what a hel_l hole it's becoming.

Pretty stupid to park in their space!! These lads are nutters when pissed off.

Pretty stupid to visit Pattaya in the first place. :o

No offense intended to residents.Britmaverick, I know you are a defender of the realm.....Please don't take it personally.

I'm just amazed at the constant barrage of horrible news out of Pattaya.

I hope it can be saved.

You mean Royal Garden, right?

I really don't understand the management of RG don't clear out that scum, it can't possible be good for business having them hanging around in front of the mall, bullying potential customers away.

Not to mention the ladyboy RG carpark attendants that take 20bht fee from Patrons who have not spent 20 mins in the Car park (Should be free). Probably on a cut! :o

Pretty stupid to visit Pattaya in the first place. :o

This is a silly comment pumpuiman. You try parking on a taxi stand in Sydney, not only would you get a 6,000 baht fine but the taxi drivers will let your tyres down too. I ride my MC all over the place in Pattaya, if some taxi boys say I'm in their spot I simply move it, pretty simple really. Pattaya is a good place to visit but it's the same as anywhere else in the world, "Don't piss off the Locals" and you will have no problem.

Pretty stupid to visit Pattaya in the first place. :D

No offense intended to residents.Britmaverick, I know you are a defender of the realm.....Please don't take it personally.

I hope it can be saved.

Its not exactly the only place in Thailand that has incidents like this.

As for the stories that come out :o Some are true and some are dramatised a bit.

so why bother going into the pattaya section? nothing to talk about in Issan? it makes me laugh when people make comments and are not here.

Afraid its no worse than many English towns nowadays pumpuiman, I'm still here in UK and the stories I read on ThaiVisa are everyday occurances here too, probably very few places as quiet as Isaan I imagine (never been there but its next on my list)

Sort of weird hearing two replies referencing similarities to England and Australia. I'm from the US and can't imagine anything like this happening. I find it quite hard to believe this would happen in England or Australia either. Usually any kind of transportation service in the West is government regulated. But of course, I'm not from those countries so I could be wrong. Also, in the US, if there is a problem involving a taxi, it is usually the taxi driver being assaulted not the customer.

Anyways, this is quite pathetic that this happens here. Not only in Pattaya but also in Phuket it is a problem. Why can't the government start regulating the transportation industry and hold them accountable for the way they act. I guess that wouldn't work cause if they did stab someone they would probably just be moved to an inactive motorcycle post.

I'll give you a tip, park in a taxi zone in most countries and you will get a less than friendly reception from the local cabbies. The escalation of this seems to happen a bit in places where there is a high consumption of drugs (legal or otherwise). In some of the more "civilised"parts of the world the level of reporting in the press does not happen that happens in Pattaya, they have journalists that can research news and items of local interest to fill the paper.

I live in city labelled Dullsville we get regular tales of drug and alcohol fueled violence in the media. Someone being king hit in the "entertainment" areas of the city is almost a weekly event, unfortunately a few of them are falling over and hitting their head on the pavement and adding the sensationalism by ending up in hospital as vegetables or dead. The sensationalism attracts viewers / readers and keeps advertisers happy.

What you are seeing here is a monument to the work ethic of the local press rather than an accurate picture of the Pattaya area.

A gang of riders from a motorcycle taxi rank outside the Marine Plaza Hotel on Pratamnak Road attacked and injured a Thai-American hip-hop singer who had blocked their queue with his own motorcycle

Police led by Pattaya superintendent Pol Col Sutin Suppuang were called out to the scene at 4 a.m. on January 30 where they found 32-year-old Wasan Tengtrakul with his face severely cut and bruised. Wasan, a tourist who was residing at rented accommodation in the LC Apartment on Soi Khaonoi, was rushed to Pattaya Memorial Hospital, where he was placed in the intensive care unit.

Officers discovered a 1-meter piece of wood with traces of blood on it, which eyewitnesses stated was the attackers’ weapon.

Ms Satitree Pantawa, 21, a friend of the injured man, said that at least 10 motorcycle taxi riders wearing red jackets marked “Marine Plaza” had set upon Wasan, using a knife and the length of wood. They were angry that Wasan had parked his motorcycle so that it blocked their own bikes.

Later on that evening, Pattaya Memorial Hospital notified the police that three men suffering serious knife wounds had come in for treatment. Police believed them to be the attackers of Wasan, the attackers also having been injured in the melee. They were identified as Jakkrit Khaosamut, 19, whose left arm was so badly cut it was almost severed; Manop Rattana, 19, who had serious stab wounds to his back and stomach; and Chamnan Thipsuwan, 36, who had a stab wound close to his heart. All of them had immediately undergone operations. Jakkrit, however, managed to escape from the hospital, despite the presence of police guards.

Somsak Rodkaew, 44, a motorcycle taxi driver from the Marina Plaza rank, said that when he came back from dropping off a passenger he saw a great commotion amongst his fellow riders at the head of the queue. He said he didn’t dare to go closer to the scene. Then his three injured friends asked him to take them to hospital. He agreed, and planned at first to take them to Banglamung, but their injuries were serious so he took them instead to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Somsak told police he didn’t know what had caused the fight because he wasn’t there at the time, but police didn’t believe him and took him in for further questioning.

Ms Satitree said that Wasan had collected her on his motorcycle to see his show at the Marine Pub. He and his group were to start their first probationary night, but his friends hadn’t arrived yet. So he took her to wait for his group at a food shop, and parked his motorcycle in front of the taxi queue, which made them unhappy. They insulted the singer’s parents and demanded that he park somewhere else. But the Thai-American was able to understand what they said in Thai and was insulted, which made him react unpleasantly.

While he was trying to move the motorbike away from the taxi rank, about 10 riders attacked him.

Pol Col Sutin has ordered all the injured to be detained during investigations. Those who fled and have yet to be found must be tracked down. He said that the injured man had been a tourist, and that committing a crime against a tourist is a serious crime under Thai law. Suthin has threatened to close the Marine Plaza taxi rank if any other disturbance is reported.

Welcome to Pattaya, city of peace

A gang of riders from a motorcycle taxi rank outside the Marine Plaza Hotel on Pratamnak Road attacked and injured a Thai-American hip-hop singer who had blocked their queue with his own motorcycle

Another sign of the quality reporting we expect from the Pattaya press :D . Putting singer and hip-hop in the same sentence. :o