Use of old parts

I have recently had work done on my Toyota truck which included a new timing belt, new water pump and a new turbo because the old one although working was leaking oil all over my yard! I got the work done at Toyota so as per usual they gave me all the old parts when the job was finished!

I'm jumping the gun here as before they started the work, when I was telling them what I wanted doing, they were grinning at me and when I asked for an explanation they said most people do not fit a new turbo, they go around the corner to a cheap place and get it repaired!

Anyway, my truck is 15 years old but in very good nick, less than 100,000 on the clock so I thought it was worth paying extra for the new turbo!

As it seems people get their turbos fixed on the cheap I was wondering if I could sell my old turbo and who might want to buy it?

I welcome any genuine ideas!

Thanks.

Maybe transam... after he wakes up?

But that is an interesting insight into a facet of car repair and maintenance in Thailand  that I wasn't aware of, turbo rebuilds. In the US and elsewhere, there were transmission shops where engine mechanics always sent you if they suspected that was the issue. AFAIK, turbo work was a similarly a high-tolerance, clean-room type job maybe for the enthusiast or sports-related driver? Since there's a huge amount of auto transmission vehicles in Thailand and not too many (visible) transmission-only shops, maybe transmissions and turbos are easier to strip down and repair than before?

I know very little about turbo stuff but I do know in most cases they can be repaired regarding oil leaks..

A main dealer will probably just say the turbo is stuffed cos all they want to do is unbolt it and fit a new one to get the ride out the shop and earn easy dosh..

Turbo longevity is all down to constant "good" oil and taking note of idling times before turning the engine off..:stoner:

What TA said + good air.  Dirty air filter or induction leaks are very bad for turbo's.  

Some turbo problems can be repaired, wastegates or VG actuators etc.  Seals and bearings tend to go as a set. 

Car & light truck turbo's are small and relatively cheap so rebuilding them is feasible in low labour countries like Thailand as long as the housings are OK.  

Transmissions and turbo repairs are no easier now than in the past.  There are more swap shops in LOS than actual repair shops for components like these.  

The mechanics did not try to fob me off with a new turbo, they gave me the chance of taking it somewhere else to get it "fixed!"

I told them that a "fix" in Thailand would probably mean a few weeks grace and then another trip to Toyota to get a new turbo anyway!

I just wondered if there might be a market for the old part and if so "where?"

We repair - new seals and bearings - our turbos all the time, if the vane clearance is OK

Not hard, and way cheaper than buying a rebuilt one, where they do the exact same thing we do.

Trucks and heavy equipment. They are not rocket science.

Archived