Hua Hin taxi wars: Angry taxi driver makes online threats against all Grab drivers, woman assaulted

5 hours ago, AccidentalTourist said:

Grab, Uber you will find all over the world; there is hardly a issue with this in Europe; which of course are mostly civilized countries... which makes the difference

Not many civilized countries left in Europe, only a few like Denmark,Switzerland and the Eastern European countries.

countries like France,Uk, Sweden,Germany, Belgium aren’t civilized countries, all the problems and lack of freedom of speak etc etc.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grab is fantastic. I live in Khon Kaen & haven't used a meter taxi for 12 months, only use Grab. Ive been coming to Thailand as a tourist for 20 years & been ripped-off, been left on the roadside for refusing to travel without the meter on, flagging taxi after taxi to be told they don't want to go there etc. Nothing lasts forever & as frustrated as the meter taxi drivers are, you can't provide a shoddy service & overcharge without alienating your customers. If the taxi drivers were doing a great job in the first place, Grab would never have taken hold.

We have been allowed by a succession of incredibly weak, and toothless administrations, including the current one, to get away with charging whatever we want to charge, without regard to the laws. Now, the conditions that we have created have encouraged fair competition, in the form of these new alternative taxi services. We do not like that at all. The government needs to protect us, as they have up to now. We do not want competition. It will lead to lower rates. Lower rates are bad! We want more money. This is bad. We will misbehave! Nobody will punish us, especially not the weak army! 

Look at the time.  Gotta "grab" a timely clean ride with no harassment included.    

Couldn't be any better for consumers.  When your performance is monitored, you have to do that which you're supposed to do.  The real world you pay little attention to is fast upon you.    

My sympathy for the young woman who was assaulted. That "Joker's smile" of hers is hopefully nothing more than "just blood." Regardless, I see no excuse for any man to do that to a woman. It appears that "standard" Hua Hin taxis should be avoided at all costs. Until there's some evidence that they've reformed themselves, let them starve.

Ultimately this is yet another example of the lack of law enforcement here.

Local taxis don't follow the rules and nobody does anything about it.

The "app" taxis are not legal so insurance companies are unlikely to pay out.

Traveling on the roads in Thailand is dangerous whatever you are in, some worse than others.

Until the "police" are paid properly and heavily monitored by an uncorrupt authority nothing will change.

But I am whistling in the wind again.

:jap:

38 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Ultimately this is yet another example of the lack of law enforcement here.

Local taxis don't follow the rules and nobody does anything about it.

The "app" taxis are not legal so insurance companies are unlikely to pay out.

Traveling on the roads in Thailand is dangerous whatever you are in, some worse than others.

Until the "police" are paid properly and heavily monitored by an uncorrupt authority nothing will change.

But I am whistling in the wind again.

:jap:

Grab covers passenger and driver. https://www.grab.com/th/en/insurance/

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

In reality if they operate illegally the insurance will be void.

Not if the insurance is tailored and paid for to specifically cover grab drivers and passengers.

Of course, I don't trust insurance companies etc. But this insurance should cover any grab passenger in Thailand, according to grab. Of course it's possible that grab wants people to believe they are covered while actually not covering... 

Grab,  love it !!  since lauch i use 5 time more  a driver than before.

before i avoid all taxis as lonfg as i can, not only in thailand

Grab drivers are friendly and good people , i even give sometime a tip

Sorry, but the 20% of shit taxi drivers makes Grab the sucess

last week a shit driver arrives at my condo with 2 friends  riding 1,4 km !!!!

they gave him 200... and than he want more , they gave him 100, and still angry and wants more 100 ..all 400  for 1,4km !!!

ahhhh forgot to tell , that after they installed the Grab app and was happy too !!

the taxi mafia makes the sucess of uber and grab by them selfs, and now asking goverment to help

a shame

Last time I was in Sydney a lot of the taxi drivers were also taking jobs from Uber -playing both sides of the coin. Juggling phones and the radio together. Also, Uber drivers have to register their cars in the car hire category which I presume has extra insurance costs and extra safety checks for the cars etc.  The Government always gets its cut but it solves a lot of potential problems.You also take your chances withUber as with taxis how good and safe the driver is. ( Been a few rapes and assaults with both types of drivers)

It is a bit too complicated for Thailand to implement measures like these and too many toes trodden on no doubt.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, Darcula said:

Only if your livelihood depends on being rude and ripping-off your customers.

No money left for the family.
Mia noi is too expensive, but he needs her...

On 5/27/2018 at 11:46 AM, rooster59 said:

that people in Hua Hin should continue to use the local taxi drivers who are properly registered.

and armed and are taxi mafia! Break their balls! :post-4641-1156693976:

SERVICE at a reasonable price is all that users want.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:56 AM, IamNoone88 said:

The old taxi ranks will go the way of the dinosaurs. A change in climate, a brief and desperate struggle to survive and then certain extinction. Grab first, autonomous vehicles next. Like the dinosaur's, large creatures with a brain the size of a pea, the taxi drivers demise is already cast in fossil stone. They don't even have the imagination to join the App can could save their immediate future. If you ain't busy being born, your busy dying ......  

Grab is a scam. Same price as taxi with no meter

On 5/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, car720 said:

Ok.  These guys will get what they deserve.

But as an aside there is a blacker note to all of this Grab/Uber/whatever thing.

In Australia for example taxi plates cost well in excess of $500,000 and are restricted by the government and are heavily monitored for the tax grab.  They also face a myriad of legal issues and training etc..

Along come these other guys and it is good bye to everything and the other guys have no regulation.  Anyway, just a  thought.

That's  really good point car720, Uber drivers (and other ride sharing schemes) in Oz aso now have to have their backgrounds checked and qualifications verified.  It all adds to the cost.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Usual Thai reaction to any competition... instead of getting up to date & provide what the customer really wants

they get violent & try to get it stopped!!!

And One day a more capable man will remove Somchai head

19 hours ago, hobz said:

Not if the insurance is tailored and paid for to specifically cover grab drivers and passengers.

Of course, I don't trust insurance companies etc. But this insurance should cover any grab passenger in Thailand, according to grab. Of course it's possible that grab wants people to believe they are covered while actually not covering... 

Yes, they tell you anything. You need to read the fine print...

Holiday insurance might but usually has restrictions.

If Grab drivers, while working illegally in Thailand, have full cover I would be amazed once again.

:crying:

Some of my experiences in "registered taxi ".

1.Speeding along the highway at 120 k whilst chatting about dinner on the phone. 

2.On several occasions, having to stop taxi and get out as the driver falls asleep. My son and I have to constantly check the mirror to see if driver is awake. 

3.Driver had a cloth covering his lower parts with hand underneath. 

You can make your own assumptions. 

4.Driver watches tv on phone whilst driving .

Several of these cases.

5. Another driver was watching a show of a dog being boiled alive. 

6. Drivers texting. About half the taxis I get in to. 

7. Drivers stop to piss at the side of the road. 

8. Driver stops halfway to destination and tells me he can't finish the journey. 

9. Driver is just plain rude. Mostly. 

10. Drivers don't give back the change unless asked. 

Or drivers don't have any change. 

I'm just grateful to be alive everytime I get out of one. 

On 5/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, Darcula said:

Only if your livelihood depends on being rude and ripping-off your customers.

You forgot to mention "beating up customers" 

On 5/27/2018 at 6:29 PM, observer90210 said:

Another disgusting taxi crook.

In fact, even if Grab gets more expensive then the regular taxis, I will stick to GRAB/UBER as I do not wish to give the regular taxi mafia, 1 single penny, any more.

What can you do. Just scum.

Archived