Moving to Thailand, working online - what do I do?

I don't believe a word of this. If "freelancers" could get work permits thousands of us would have done so over the years.
Well, did anyone tried it first hand, that's what I wonder?

It's a case by case decission, so maybe people just don't know about it.

Anyway worth some investigation time imo. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:
7 hours ago, elviajero said:
I don't believe a word of this. If "freelancers" could get work permits thousands of us would have done so over the years.

Anyway worth some investigation time imo. ?

I'd be more concerned that I've shown my hand if my application were rejected.

Sure, it's worth investigating.  But actually applying seems a little risky.  As easy as it is to stay under the radar working online (today- who knows what tomorrow will bring?), why take the chance?

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, phuketrichard said:

keep ur mouth shut, dont post on forums ur working as a digital nomad..

why not. as long as ones user name is not the OPs name then one is completely anonymous. Do you agree... there is no risk

Its not legal.. End of. 

It is also unenforced, like so much here. 

The fact is a very simple fully legal alternative is presented, one where the social contributions not only benefit the country you are residing in but also can be offset against a home country tax bill (you are paying taxes I guess), and the instant expat reaction is to reject it out of hand, too expensive, too this, too that.. This tells you a lot about the expat community. They would rather sit on busses, worry about visa runs, go begging around the region to try to obtain another stamp, etc etc. 

If you are a successful online worker, life can be very easy and fully legal by using the services of a BOI registered umbrella company. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Its not legal.. End of. 

It is also unenforced, like so much here. 

The fact is a very simple fully legal alternative is presented, one where the social contributions not only benefit the country you are residing in but also can be offset against a home country tax bill (you are paying taxes I guess), and the instant expat reaction is to reject it out of hand, too expensive, too this, too that.. This tells you a lot about the expat community. They would rather sit on busses, worry about visa runs, go begging around the region to try to obtain another stamp, etc etc. 

If you are a successful online worker, life can be very easy and fully legal by using the services of a BOI registered umbrella company. 

BOI requires  a LOT of administration and regular business reports to tax department, labor department and BOI.

I'm not sure I would have started off with a BOI company until I knew I would stay. 

It's also more costly to start, more legal issues, hence higher lawyer/accountant cost. 

The benefits if staying are great though but he's an american and can already own a (American treaty) Ltd company 100% so I wouldn't recommend a BOI. 

A Ltd.,Co. on the other hand sounds like a viable option even if he has to send money to Thailand for his income and company costs like accountant, taxes and whatnot.

Edited by KamalaRider

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Boy Wonder said:

Thank you VERY much. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I was completely unaware that working remote was unorthodox, and I tend to overshare at times... definitely avoided some potential issues by reading this. I will go in with a tourist visa and renew it every 3 months (I can't be bothered flying every month to renew the monthly visa upon arrival), and I'll be sure to keep my head down about how I make my money.

Again, thanks a bunch.

If you read more on this Visa forum, you will find that flying in and out monthly has limits as do many of the other visas, tourist included.  There are some written and some not so written usage limits, number of visas in a 12 month period, total number of visas, etc.  Keep some cash on hand and be ready for some changes that may pop up if you start stretching things.

21 hours ago, KamalaRider said:

BOI requires  a LOT of administration and regular business reports to tax department, labor department and BOI.

I'm not sure I would have started off with a BOI company until I knew I would stay. 

It's also more costly to start, more legal issues, hence higher lawyer/accountant cost. 

The benefits if staying are great though but he's an american and can already own a (American treaty) Ltd company 100% so I wouldn't recommend a BOI. 

A Ltd.,Co. on the other hand sounds like a viable option even if he has to send money to Thailand for his income and company costs like accountant, taxes and whatnot.

You are not understanding what I wrote. 

BOI companies are free to engage workers in sectors like tech, without 4 (or whatever) thais per work permit. That results in multiple umbrella companies operating totally legally and with the express permission of the business plan by the BOI. 

iglu.net being one.. 

I am not in any way suggesting a online worker set up his own BOI. I am suggesting he uses the services of a BOI who pays his taxes and social costs, sorts out his visa etc etc for a very modest fee. 

An LTD company offshore will never be fully legal here.. May as well simply break the law. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fully legal. ?

Get a TIN (Tax Number) from the Thai Revenue Department and pay yer taxes here.

Can do this on a Tourist Visa as remote workers, stock traders, etc etc don't come under the Alien Worker's Act.

As it's so popular nowadays, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Co-Working Spaces for remote workers to legally work from while here as a tourist/for study etc. etc.

https://www.coworker.com/thailand

Enjoy your trip. ?

19 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You are not understanding what I wrote. 

BOI companies are free to engage workers in sectors like tech, without 4 (or whatever) thais per work permit. That results in multiple umbrella companies operating totally legally and with the express permission of the business plan by the BOI. 

iglu.net being one.. 

I am not in any way suggesting a online worker set up his own BOI. I am suggesting he uses the services of a BOI who pays his taxes and social costs, sorts out his visa etc etc for a very modest fee. 

An LTD company offshore will never be fully legal here.. May as well simply break the law. 

You call 750 USD per month a modest fee? With 2 years Iglu you could buy 5 years thai elite visa

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

You call 750 USD per month a modest fee? With 2 years Iglu you could buy 5 years thai elite visa

Yeah, that's steep. Especially if you don't need/use their co-working spaces.

Any alternative umbrella company you know?

As I've mentioned before in other threads, isn't it great that the DoI and MoL actually know the laws. ?

Fully legal.

No need for a WP when working remotely online for a non-Thai company or company in Thailand. 

Just as Pol. Col. of Immigration has declared at a public seminar on such matters.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
baiting comment removed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

As I've mentioned before in other threads, isn't it great that the DoI and MoL actually know the laws. ?

Fully legal.

No need for a WP when working remotely online for a non-Thai company or company in Thailand. 

Just as Pol. Col. of Immigration has declared at a public seminar on such matters.

<removed>

Would you like some actual facts?

The actual quote was;

"What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are a ‘digital nomad’ running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa."

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-visa-rules-explained/

There are few important points:-

• They don't say it's legal but that you can do it.
  • No definition exists as to who immigration qualify as a 'digital nomad'.
  • They only represent Chiang Mai Immigration.
  • This statement does not change the law.
  • The Immigration Bureau have never made a public statement exempting any remote workers from the law.

It is completely reasonable for any nation to allow a tourist to keep up with his work/business whilst on holiday, and Thailand treats all 'tourists' the same way. Basically they have to allow all tourist visa holders this pass or prosecute all tourists, which would be impractical, impossible and not worth the effort. They have not singled out DN's/remote workers for special treatment.

Thailand will probably do what they have always done and wait until a problem gets out of hand before clamping down. The fact that they tolerate remote work does not make it legal. I doubt they will ever exempt 'digital nomads/remote workers', but if they decide to clamp down they will make it harder still for perpetual tourism to stop long stays as a tourist. I don't see them ever prosecuting remote work because it wouldn't be practical.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 1:57 AM, ExpatDraco said:

Anyway worth some investigation time imo. ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

No one has tried because it’s not possible. If it was there would be evidence/reports all over the internet.

Whoever the “knowledgeable person” is they are clearly just speculating.

No “freelance” foreigner can walk into any labour office and get work permit without the backing of a Thai based business who are taking them on as an employee or consultant.

On 5/28/2018 at 2:31 PM, JLCrab said:

If the authorities at some point crack down, they will likely crack down on visas, not a raid on persons sitting in a shared work space. But that will likely involve persons on visas for much longer term than the OP.

But if you are in a shared work space, I would keep another browser window open so you could quickly switch over and say that you are just writing a letter to your mother.

i never did understand the concept of these workspaces. just a silly waste of money really.

on the legality of it, i would not trust it here.

My understanding in Thailand is,  you only have to be present (in the company of) of wrongdoers and you can be charged the same crime as them.

and then a possibilitu of a raid at any time. Thai police probably think they are raiding a boiler room operation.

and most farangs like to stay here xx years and cant be assed learning the language..

so good luck explaining to the cops on the way to prison.

as for the OP, if you do this in your own room then who will know?

strange such a silly question thread have 4 pages already

On 5/28/2018 at 6:44 AM, donnacha said:

Certain expats have a huge bee in their bonnets about digital nomads because they don't, themselves, have the necessary skills or education to be able to work online and have to scrape by on teaching English or other low-paid work.

Funny, I should have thought that a SW engineer with the great skills that you attribute to digital nomads would have been able to find all the information he needs with some search on the internet and in previous similar posts on this forum.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:44 AM, donnacha said:

Just keep your head down and do your work, like tens of thousands of others doing exactly the same thing. There is no permit for doing remote work in Thailand. There should be but the authorities don't understand the concept.

Au contraire I think they understand the concept quite well and what they understand is that the digital nomad as referenced above does not create jobs for Thai persons nor facilitate any technology transfer. That has long been the stated goal of the Thai government across several ministries for non-Thai IT involvement.

As long as the digital nomad remains the lone wolf remote worker, don't expect any time soon for MoFA or IMM or Labour to create any special provisions for the DN. They are quite content for now to let them get as many Tourist visas as they can under the present 60/30 regime.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Funny, I should have thought that a SW engineer with the great skills that you attribute to digital nomads would have been able to find all the information he needs with some search on the internet and in previous similar posts on this forum.

Who said anything about "great skills"?

What I said, right there in the exact line you quoted, was that digital nomads have "the necessary skills or education to work online".

That is no high bar but, clearly, that makes their success all the more maddening for chaps such as yourself who, sadly, lack even the ability to parse the English language ? 

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, donnacha said:

My observation, after two decades of watching Thai governments <snip>

Really -- watching from where? BTW the thing about writing a letter to your mother was humor as I don't expect any Thai authority will be raiding a shared work-space. 

(Link to BOI database search "software")

https://tinyurl.com/yaglsa59

But that new Elite Visa is a good idea -- with your 20 years' of observation you must have some high level input. If not you can go to the MoFA HQ in Bangkok and look for this:

Image result for suggestion box

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

The actual quote was;

If you are a ‘digital nomad’ running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa."

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-visa-rules-explained/

No it wasn't, you purposefully left out the part that explains it:

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type B) visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

Pol. Col. of Immigration.

?

The above was not a direct quote from the Pol. Col -- from the article:

"Please remember also that Chiang Mai immigration officers merely enforce policy that is decided by politicians and at headquarters in Bangkok. ..."

"We hope the information below will be of help to our readers. It is true to the best of our knowledge and based on information given by immigration officers at the seminar and in subsequent interviews with CityNews."

However even if that was a direct quote, that is one official's opinion as regards his jurisdiction and not an official policy statement from the legal department (if there actually is one) of the Immigration Bureau HQ in Bangkok.

And the determining factor may not at some point be what you can do on a tourist visa, but on what basis one may continue to obtain tourist visas.

Edited by JLCrab

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

on what basis one may continue to obtain tourist visas.

Why would remote workers only be on Tourist Visas? :huh:

Lots of people legally work remotely from Thailand while here to study full-time , be it a 4 year degree or Thai Language (Ed Visa), or to be with their spouse/kids (Non-O). Of the remote workers I know, none of them are here on Tourist Visas. All are fully legal, have their Thai Tax Number (TIN) and pay their tax to the Thai Revenue Department on the income that they bring to Thailand. ?

Lord only knows why this upsets so many of the Thai Visa Clueless, but I suspect it's because they're stuck working onsite for a Thai company while being legally obliged to jump through the Thai redtape because they're unfortunate enough to work for a Thai company, and come under the Alien Worker's Act. ?