Troubled British tourist falls to death from Chiang Mai condo

webfact

Depression is very difficult to understand unless you have been there yourself.  It's easy to say that you wouldn't take your own life and that anyone that does is somehow weak or wrong.

Some people are clinically depressed.  Others become depressed after losing a loved one or a job.  Sometimes life does not seem worth living.  I lost a loved one several years ago, and facing life without her was unbearable.  I thought about suicide as I could not imagine life without her.  It was tough, but I stayed strong as others were dependent on me.  Even though people have their opinions, they cannot understand how you are feeling. 

So please, I hope you are never in a situation in your life where death is the best option.  And please don't judge anyone - you just don't know what people are going through.  I remember once many years ago, in a restaurant with my granddad.  The waiter was being really rude and grumpy, but my granddad just remained polite and friendly.  I asked him why it didn't bother him, and he just said.  'You never know what people have going on in their lives'. And he was right.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

maybe get caught buying and land in a Cambodian hell prison for 25 years, anyway Mr. average like myself wouldn't even know where to go to buy an exit pill, so jumping seems the only way out.

In Cambodia, real opiates are very easy to come by and police are few and far between

Pharmaceutical grade or street level powder, take your pick

The US averages about 5 suicides per day, Australia about 1 per day and the UK about 2 per day. As other posters have said, most western countries do not report suicides to discourage copycats.

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

The US averages about 5 suicides per day, Australia about 1 per day and the UK about 2 per day. As other posters have said, most western countries do not report suicides to discourage copycats.

70 per day in Japan. About 3 every hour.

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

In the UK , it's more like 12 per day

Some assume on fleeing a country,  is fleeing their inner issues and problems. Perhaps to some extent (the weather maybe). But if the psychological issues are serious, no matter where you go, you will carry them with you.

Many should first get help for their mental health issues at home, before seeking to exile in a land with sunshine, beaches,  cheap pussy or booze, because these will not solve everything.

Getting help won't solve the issues that are anchored for ages. Getting help is just a way to learn to live and cope with such issues...to put up with life in other words !!

RIP to the victim. 

According to the World Health Organisation, Thailand ranks 46 out of 183 in suicide death rates. The US 48th and the UK 123rd. Interestingly Thailand ranks equally with Sweden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

When you look at the UK's rate of male suicides at 16 per 100,000 (2016) according to the office for National Statistics (11.7 according to WHO) and Thailand's rate of 18.2 per 100,000 according to WHO then Thailand doesn't stand out as a particularly bad place to reside regarding suicide risk. What is more stand out is the apparent chosen method to do it - hanging in the UK, and going by the TV sleuths, balcony jumping in Thailand.

I`m not suggesting this isn`t another case of suicide, but if does seem if anyone in Thailand wants to commit murder and get away with it, is to just throw someone off a high building and walk away, because unless there is any obvious evidence of foul play, the police will simply assume it`s a suicide or the person fell because they were high on drink or drugs.

The numbers of foreigners in Thailand that fall from high buildings each year is a worrying trend.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

He probably wanted a quick death, drugs, especially over the counter drugs, aren't quick or painless, you would need opiates for that, good luck getting that at a pharmacy. A Thai man in my village tried it with an overdose of paracetamol and alcohol, he was found after 24 hours and died in agony after 4 days in the hospital.

I was thinking tramadol or some form of barbiturates.

So many have committed suicide. People seem to forget you are dead for a long time. Well, it was not over a woman taking all the money this time. People in the pool must have been in shock. Probably thought it was Superman leaping off a tall building. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

People who make fun of others who have serious mental/depression are the lowest of the low.

Until you have been there you have no idea what that person is going through.

WELL I HAVE BEEN THERE, yes after my accident being told you will never walk again, never make love with your wife again, i went into the depths of depression.

Yes i was under a psychiatrist at the hspital.

I was going crazy, i hit my wife, hit a nurse, was then strapped down on my bed, for my own safety, and the safety of others.

I was fortunate, my wife helped me through it, a good friend (member on here) spent 8 weeks at my bedside, all day every day when my wife was at work.

He told me 1 day, pull yourself together, only you can fix this, at the time i was angry with him, but hey he was 100% correct, i got through it with a lot of help.

So all you inconsiderate people making snide comments think, but for the grace of GOD go i.

You certainly had/have a true friend there,Colin.

Whilst it may be true in some cases that people bring their problems here in other cases it may develop here thru the aging process,physical illness,loneliness,car accidents,divorce,alienation from the culture etc etc.

Excessive usage of alcohol can also be a major contributive factor.

I urge everyone to keep the Samaritans number handy.I never had to use the service but I knew it was there.

Those who think that they are flame proof might find themselves in for a nasty shock, for who really knows what the future has in store for any of us?

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

He probably wanted a quick death, drugs, especially over the counter drugs, aren't quick or painless, you would need opiates for that, good luck getting that at a pharmacy. A Thai man in my village tried it with an overdose of paracetamol and alcohol, he was found after 24 hours and died in agony after 4 days in the hospital.

I once had to "special" a patient that took an intentional paracetamol overdose. It takes days to die.

4 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I woke up this morning feeling troubled. I’m also a Brit on a tourist visa and an LFC fan. But I could never work out how someone could come to the conclusion that suicide is their only way out.  And in the manner of throwing oneself off a balcony. A very selfish act in my opinion, not just for loved ones left behind but anyone who may be unfortunate enough to be under you when you land.  Just go to a pharmacy fcs , plenty of choices for a peaceful delivery into the after life . 

You've obviously never been in a state of mind like that. Till one has, one has no idea.

The reason for jumping is that it's actually very difficult to successfully kill yourself by other means. Many survive, but in a physically bad state as well as the mental state they had before trying.

Perhaps the "loved ones" aren't as loving as they think they are, or the victim hasn't got any.

There are no over the counter drugs that will kill one painlessly.

Till governments see the light and allow voluntary suicide with the right medication, people will continue to jump.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I once had to "special" a patient that took an intentional paracetamol overdose. It takes days to die.

Yes-generally about 5 days and the worst thing is that after about 3 the patient knows that the condition is irreversible.So..please don't do it.

18 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I was thinking tramadol or some form of barbiturates.

tramadol is not a good idea unless you like seizures vomiting and feelings of suffocation, this man went out quickly and painlessly, I doubt he had sufficient consciousness to register pain. It is a terrible decision to make but it is a private, personal one. If he was in pain and terminally ill he didn't need any help or advice, good luck to him but if this was one of life's dark hours he probably wouldn't seek help himself but would need someone who cared enough to help him, it's a cold world out there.

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-generally about 5 days and the worst thing is that after about 3 the patient knows that the condition is irreversible.So..please don't do it.

I don't think anyone takes paracetamol as a 'cry for help". They just don't realise how slowly it works.

4 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

But I could never work out how someone could come to the conclusion that suicide is their only way out.

Logical or rational thinking is not a consideration (as a rule) for those who have mental issues and by that I mean anything from depression to being unable to "find a way out" of their current or supposed predicament.

And IMO I don't believe "selfish" comes into it either...……...just a way to end the pain, hurt, confusion or blackness, whatever it may be.

Sad all the same.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think anyone takes paracetamol as a 'cry for help". They just don't realise how slowly it works.

I did not state that it was a cry for help.Furthest thing from my mind actually.Just supporting your post about a Paracetamol overdose being a long and painful way to die if not treated within 24-48 hours.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

tramadol is not a good idea unless you like seizures vomiting and feelings of suffocation, this man went out quickly and painlessly, I doubt he had sufficient consciousness to register pain. It is a terrible decision to make but it is a private, personal one. If he was in pain and terminally ill he didn't need any help or advice, good luck to him but if this was one of life's dark hours he probably wouldn't seek help himself but would need someone who cared enough to help him, it's a cold world out there.

it's a cold world out there.

Certainly is. 

Often, farang's wives are the only friends they have, and if the relationship goes sour they have no one.

Plus, in LOS, one does not want to end up in hospital after an unsuccessful attempt. Jumping from high enough is probably the only guaranteed way out in LOS.

Are people really this ignorant, as in bereft of common sense and a grip on reality?  People kill themselves. Sometimes  it is because they are mentally ill and other times it is because they  have a chronic illness or life crisis that seems hopeless to them. That's all. Nothing more. All these nonsensical claims of murders of conspiracies just say that the  person making the claim is a sick individual trying to stir the pot or is truly a mentally ill case himself.

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When I leave my property I lock the door from the inside and my locks are British Yale not some cheap Chinese rubbish so just because the door was locked from the inside proves nothing RIP the deceased only he knows what really happened it amazes me how many times we read about people falling from their balconies in the Kingdom.

Who knows what really happened? The man jumped off his balcony. There were witnesses. What more do you want, a live camera?

4 hours ago, balo said:

Before we can conclude with anything we need to know more about his past activities. But he wrote a diary so maybe the police can conclude with suicide after reading it. 

R.I.P. 

What is there to conclude. The deceased was seen to  leave his balcony and land on the ground. I conclude that he jumped off his balcony.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I`m not suggesting this isn`t another case of suicide, but if does seem if anyone in Thailand wants to commit murder and get away with it, is to just throw someone off a high building and walk away, because unless there is any obvious evidence of foul play, the police will simply assume it`s a suicide or the person fell because they were high on drink or drugs.

The numbers of foreigners in Thailand that fall from high buildings each year is a worrying trend.

Oh stop it. Your assertion has absolutely nothing to do with this case. It just muddies the waters and confuses the easily confused and terrifies the old men on here. No one was seen throwing anyone off a balcony here. What was seen was an older mail  throwing himself off the balcony and landing with a thud. That event in itself traumatized the witnesses and will haunt some for a long time. The victims are those who had to watch this public display. Have a kind thought for the poor Thais who had to clean the mess up.

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Maybe one of the most untrue unimformed posts I have ever read.

The US had over 44,000 suicides in 2016.

That is over 120 a day........

8 hours ago, fantom said:

I can help reduce your sense of amazement. We read almost every report of suicide, particularly within our demographic on tv. In countries such as Australia  and the UK, media deliberately underplays such reporting to discourage so called copycat events.

No need to imply some sort of conspiracy theory.

Isn't that in itself a conspiracy theory? ?

Archived