Currency Exchange Shame At Don Mueang

I don't like to complain about anything in the land of smiles as so many things tick all the boxes. However, after a flight from Bali with a lay off in Jakarta that took all day I went to the Kasikorn till on the ground floor of DM airport to exchange 4.9 million Indonesian  Rphs. After all airports I imagined are the one place you can  rely on to give you a fair rate. I was wrong. The lady behind the till pulled out a long tape with numbers penned on it. She counted out 5760 Baht. I was very tired but it did not look right to me. "Do you want it or not?" she asked. I must have my maths wrong I thought and in my weariness took it and got my taxi. It came back to me in a fit when while I was in the taxi that this figure had to be wrong. Yes! XE said I should have received over 11000 Baht! I phoned Kasikorn bank whom promised to look into it. Two days later a lady called me back and said "Solly Mr, Kasikorn at Don Mueang puts a 40% charge on all transactions!!" Painful and unlike Thailand! Be warned!

The currency of local ASEAN countries is worth nothing to their neighbours, you'll get a similarly bad xe for Baht if you try to change it in the region.

And airports are always the worst place to change money, although in some cases they may be the only option available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when at swampy go down to where you catch the train and when you get to where you buy your tickets go to the left the money exchange there is as good as you will get in pattaya, and in bangkok ,have a look around because the rate changes for different country  ie us is better at the kasikorn and the aus is better at the others don't go to the two at the top of the walkway because they are the same as upstairs

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 2:59 AM, Henryford said:

I didn't think the exchange bureaus charged ANY commission. I thought they earned their money by giving a reduced exchange rate. I suspect this lady ripped you off and kept the difference.

definately no question about it

Archived