Good Thai Food In Cm

Johpa

I see plenty of postings regarding eating foreign foods on CM but I am curious where you go out for a dinner with friends for decent traditional Thai food today?

Now some of you here know me a bit and some see me as a newbie here and in today's CM I feel like a newbie although I did spend most of the 1980s and into the early 1990s in the region. But I have been very disappointed by the Thai food to be found in the big city during my visits over the past several years.

Once upon a time you could find great affordable Thai eateries, like Wiralaappaet along the north moat, that were always packed with Thais. And even Anusorn Market, at one time, and I know this is difficult to believe was packed with local Thai families and had great, what I call, Thai fast food.

But when we venture into the big city these days, usually in order to keep the kids happy with a movie or a night in a hotel with air-con and a swimming pool, the Thai food simply sucks wherever we go.

I know I can find good Thai food outside the city but what about in the big city. My Thai Achaan friends from CMU always liked to go to the Thaa Naam. Is that still around?

And what about Khon Muang dishes? Are there any places where you can get fresh laap dip and wash it down with Mae Khong while listening to luuk tung music?

> Once upon a time you could find great affordable Thai eateries, like

> Wiralaappaet along the north moat, that were always packed with

> Thais. And even Anusorn Market, at one time, and I know this is

> difficult to believe was packed with local Thai families and had

> great, what I call, Thai fast food.

Well, I think the Laap Ped place is still there. As is Anusarn of course, but it is strictly tourists-only now, very much including Thai tourists of course. Things change, always in motion eating is. Other old icons that went seriously down the drain would include Aroon Rai and probably many others.

But, quit pining for the old days: today Chiang Mai has FAR more and FAR more varied foods then ever in it's 700-something year history! You may have to re-acquaint yourself with the city and with some good eateries, but there definitely are LOTS. I have to say for myself I have a MUCH easier time finding good and good-value restaurants here than I do in Bangkok. You've probably checked the food reviews I'm doing (see sig line) they're all over the place, from 10 baht street vendor snacks to an upmarket Chinese Pattakarn just yesterday (didn't post on that yet, but it's definitely interesting. Most interesting strangely was the Chinese tea, with 8 different herbs and spices in them. Some guy with a HUGE brass teapot (more something you'd use for spraying the garden) serves a cup full for you at your table.

Upmarket Chinese hi-so gigs aren't usually my cup of tea (ha ha ho ho, pun indended), but I have to say this one made a lot of sense at just 20 baht for unlimited re-fills of this tea, and I haven't seen dim sum like this outside of Hong Kong either at 30 baht for 3-4 pieces.

I'm getting carried away.. the point is, if there is one, that there are LOADS of eateries and exploring them is great fun. Chiang Mai people seem really enterprising at the moment, and places are springing up all over the place. Drive around the middle ring road and count how many places are mushrooming there. or even in very unlikely locations, like "The Milk Garden" in a sub-soi down a soi off the Canal Road south of Wat Umong. Very arty places, doubles as a little gallery with pottery and some scupltures and things.

I think Chiang Mai is more interesting than ever, and food is a big part of it!

> Thaa Naam. Is that still around?

Yes. And that whole stretch along the river from Aom Muang all the way to the Westin bridge is all restaurants now. Kitamond, the Japanese restaurant moved to close to Tha Nam, will definitely give that one a try soon. One place to miss I wouild say in that area would be "The Ping" pub and restaurant. Thought it sucked and the music was too loud.

Anyway, also follow my site, I'm getting more and more into the proper restaurants, not just reviewing weird kinds of khanom and street food though the focus is still more or less on cheaper places. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

But, quit pining for the old days: today Chiang Mai has FAR more and FAR more varied foods then ever in it's 700-something year history! You may have to re-acquaint yourself with the city and with some good eateries, but there definitely are LOTS.

Well it is hard not to reflect back on what once was Chiang Mai for those of us who were fortunate enough to experience it. (You should have seen Samui around 1980!) But I guess I should try to reacquaint myself with the city. But as seldom as I get into town, that is a bit hard to do. When I do get into town I am usually stuck with the family at Central or some other horrendous place to keep the wife and kids happy. I still end up eating lunch at the Stube because it is the only place I am likely to be greeted by name and encounter people I know. And what I also know is that the food there is not what it once was.

On the other hand, many of the local eateries in my local neighborhood along the highway and in town in Mae Rim, the nearest town to our home, have great food, both fast food lunch fare and dinner fare. Not to mention my favorite rural roadside night time cantina with girls in short skirts, fishnet stockings, and high boots who take turns singing while I enjoy both the company and the appetizers. Of course me and my fellow village mates are out of there before 11:00PM with our tails between our legs heading back to the wives before the hard core late shifters start imbibing.

When I get back in-country this summer I'll treat and you can pick out the eatery. Then you can come up and try the wife's home cooking.

I will say again-90% of resturants i have eaten in around Maerim i would never go back to again. In the tourist places they dont care because they figure you are not coming back again anyways and at the couple of resturants popular with the Thais on the main road the food was a joke and that is my Thai wifes opinion also not just mine.Food is usually served cold,portions are small,rice comes 10 minutes after the rest of the food.In fact if i consider the food edilble i think i am doing pretty good,and it is not because i cant eat spicy food i eat at my mother in law,s quite often and i dont know what the ###### is on the plate but i like almost all of it! I just bought a farang type oven last week and have yet to eat at any place here that is as good as the roast chicken with potatoes and sweet potatoes roasted around it that i made on sunday! Well i am glad i got that off my chest!

> Well it is hard not to reflect back on what once was Chiang Mai for those

> of us who were fortunate enough to experience it. (You should have

> seen Samui around 1980!)

:-))))))))))))))) LOL.. MAN you should have seen Ayudthaya in 1753!! Now THAT was something else!

You know what, today's fresh residents of Chiang Mai will be saying exactly what you're saying 20 years down the line.

Of course Samui is totally, utterly, major-leage F\/CKED right now, and Ko Chang is following rapidly in it's foodsteps.. So go to Ko Lipe or something, but it will be F'd too in a couple of years. There will always be cool spots in our lifetime though. Keep in mind that Samui actually took 'work' to get there in 1980. It was an out of the way place, now you just fly in there to Samui Airport.. If you want a similar experience from 1980, you will have to go somewhere that takes work. (Ko Lipe/Adang/Tarutao still do) Samui is a different place now, aircon resorts being the norm. In 1980 I bet finding electricity was already something! (Ko Lipe still doesn't have electricity most of the time, at least not last year)

Chiang Mai fared better than Samui of course, just because it's a much bigger place than Samui with relatively fewer tourists, especially fewer of the kind of people who go on package tours to Samui.

> When I do get into town I am usually stuck with the family

> at Central or some other horrendous place to keep the wife

> and kids happy.

Yuck.. I seriously dislike anything shopping related as well. But.. 10 years ago there was only Tantraphan Dept Store, S.3 (Sor Kan Khaa).. With Central being brand new then. Right now you have Carrefour & Tesco.. And... Tesco is open until 2AM in the morning!!! Thats TWO hours after the Nannies in Brown have closed down all the bars. Perfect time to go shopping at midnight. So fast, no kids, no BS, just grab all the stuff you need and be out of there in no-time. Park right next to the entrance, no wait at check-out, wonderful. Don't do this after having had too much to drink though, or you'll be amazed the next morning with the stuff you find out you bought. :-)

> I still end up eating lunch at the Stube because it is the only

> place I am likely to be greeted by name and encounter people

> I know. And what I also know is that the food there is not what

> it once was.

I'm beginning to worry a little.. So you're going to be in town fairly soon then.. When you do, let's definitely meet again at one of the meetings. (Also I'll tell everyone to greet you by name when you walk in. :D )

Besides Mango Tree, other bar/restaurant places for Western food that come to mind would be O'Malleys Irish-American pub at Anusarn market, Kafe Restaurant, NOT Red Lion anymore but maybe they'll get it together again soon, even Mad Dog bar. (Just cheapo-bar-food there, but I think Stube was never truly Haute Cuisine either, and Mad Dog resembles an easy-going bar the most, of the type that does not offer bargirls). Other people have mentioned Fillmore East, and then there's the CHiang Mai Saloon further down Loi Kroh. Liked it better when the original owner was there I think, but they still do OK US Bar food. (Wings, skins, philly cheese stake, etc.) The list goes on much longer probably. Maybe even 'The Pub' on Huay Kaew, which has been there pretty much forever too, under varying ownership.

> Not to mention my favorite rural roadside night time cantina with

> girls in short skirts, fishnet stockings, and high boots who take turns

> singing while I enjoy both the company and the appetizers.

On second thought, lets make THAT place the venue for the next meeting. :o (any directions, please? I still want to do a review of one of those places, just to show what's out there.) You don't have to pick your top favorite home-bar spot if you're worried that tourists will flock there by the dozens, any similar place that's relatively friendly will do.

> When I get back in-country this summer I'll treat and you

> can pick out the eatery. Then you can come up and try the

> wife's home cooking.

Sounds wonderful!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

I just bought a farang type oven last week and have yet to eat at any place here that is as good as the roast chicken with potatoes and sweet potatoes roasted around it that i made on sunday!

... My friend!! :o

That would be another good one for a future meeting.. Just bring some straw mats and eat your roast chicken (as well as other foods prepared by other members..)

I think this option actually came up before.

Ob Khan is looking nicer all the time by the way. Was there again last Sunday. Nice clean grassy areas, hardly need the mat anymore.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I will say again-90% of resturants i have eaten in around Maerim i would never go back to again.

As of a year ago:

For Thai fast food there are a few good places in Mae Rim in town. Just a bit past the three-way intersection leading to Mae Jo on your left (west) entering town is, I think the name is, Saam Rot, favored by local bureaucrats. Then across from the school is a decent khao man kai place favored by the school staff. And then a bit further north past Wat Mae Rim and the convenience store, again on your left, in a hole in the wall food spot on the corner of a soi that leads up to the canal is a very good khao soi place, favored by local military pilots.

For dinner with traditional Khon Muang fare try the open air restaurant on the east side of the road just past the Mae Jo 3-way intersection. There are two places adjacent to each other. The good place is north of the one you can drive down into, closer to the highway. Sorry I do not remember the name at the moment. Tables are basic wood picnic tables, nothing fancy here. But go with a Thai who knows how to order. The only down side is that they have had the same guitar player/singer for eons and they do not serve laap dip.

Choices along the Mae Sa valley highway itself are limited and not normally frequented by the locals. The one exception was a roadside noodle place that is now closed due to the death of the owner. One could be sitting at this non-descript noodle stall and be chatting with local officials, teachers, and of course the guys who handle the snakes down the road.

Local night time cantinas include several decent spots with live music along the Mae Rim-Mae Jo road as well as a funky spot just north of Mae Rim past the turn off to the Mae Sa highway. Do not attempt fate with the small spot on the north side of the Mae Sa road close to that same intersection if still open. And avoid the cantinas across from the military base unless you are in the company of several Thai pals, preferably rural types.

There are also usually several decent eating spots between the military base and Mae Rim town catering to the local populace which in Mae Rim town is dominated by both civilian and military bureaucrats. These places seem to change each year and I am not familiar with any at the moment. But if you see locals stopped to eat or pick up food chances are there is good food available.

> The only down side is that [...] they do not serve laap dip.

:-))))))))))))))))) That's a downside? ;-)

Anyways, I've been thinking a little about the 'Chiang Mai in the 80's' sentiment.. If you prefer that kind of place then perhaps don't try finding it back in Chiang Mai, because it has moved on, but perhaps better in a place like Phrae or Nan? Both are old, small Northern towns that perhaps have the look and feel of Chiang Mai before. (Especially Phrae) ?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks for the info Johpa. I have been to a couple of the places you mentioned and they are not bad.I think the cantina north of maerim just closed last month. There is also a place that used to just sell bbq chicken that moved to a bigger spot and now sells very good bbq pork .On the west side of the road just after maerim market.Very friendly owners too. I will try to get to a few of the other places .Thanks

[quote name=chanchao' date='Wed 2004-05-19, 02:17:39

Anyways, I've been thinking a little about the 'Chiang Mai in the 80's' sentiment.. If you prefer that kind of place then perhaps don't try finding it back in Chiang Mai, because it has moved on, but perhaps better in a place like Phrae or Nan? Both are old, small Northern towns that perhaps have the look and feel of Chiang Mai before. (Especially Phrae) ?

Cheers,

Chanchao[/quote]

Life in the past....

Many old places in CM have moved on. This is life- in CM or anywhere else in the world. Lamenting old places is pointless.

Frankly, I don't feel CM has changed much for me, except for the traffic and air pollution.

Moon Muang road is basically the same as it has been the last 20 years. Very few even cosmetic changes to the street that I can see. Only the names and faces have changed, and few of those, I think. I still go to many shops and businesses along Moon Muang, and other streets, just as I have since the eighties...Admittedly, the bar/street scene is not for me, so I'm not referring the changing beer bars and such. This is not Chiang Mai, to me.

To me, what signifies significant change in any area are the people. Have the people of Chiang Mai changed?

I can only speak from my own limited perspective... Yes, there have been changes in names and places, and these memories are now relegated to 'dinosaur stories' that we dinosaurs share with others, and remember fondly to ourselves...

But, I don't feel that the overall reasons for living here have changed much...The people here are still great to me, as they've always been, and now, some years down the road, these people are mostly still around, and more cherished than ever...

Mae Kasem has been like a mom to me since I first started shopping there. Over the years, I've become closer to her, and her family. I've felt privileged that Mae Kasem opened her heart and her family to me, allowing me to be a part of her life. Her personal support has been very valuable, too.

Judge Wiboon's family owned Nat GH on Prapoglao road. When I first came here, I stayed at their GH. In the evenings, Wiboon and Nat used to hang with the guests and chat... They took a shine to me, and when I was looking for a house, housekeeper, furniture- whatever, they were always there, offering to drive me around to places, and trying to find things for me.... I even went to Nan with Wiboon, who was the Head Judge in Nan Province at that time. I stayed with him in his house in back of the court, and during the day, he took me around the courthouse and taught me much about the Thai judicial system. He also took me to the museum, and because of him being an expert in Thai history also, he gave me a special view of Thailand's past. Since that time, I've watched their kids grow up and start their careers (One doctor, one lawyer, one wannabe playboy), and watched Wiboon move up the ladder, where he is now on the Supreme Court of Thailand (Dika). They made me feel like a valued friend and member of their family, just like Mae Kasem.

And there are MANY other examples...

For me, it's ALL about people, and Chiang Mai hasn't changed much in that way for me...It's only matured, and it continues to be the source of some of the best people I've ever known in my life.

Life here is has been great for me, from the past, to the present, and hopefully, the future. I have never ever thought of moving permanently to any other place since I settled here in 1986.

When you've found your Home, it's wonderful. I just can't see moving away to Phrae or Nan, losing what I've gained from here, and starting all over again.

Yeah, Chiang Mai has changed. So have we. Living in the past, as some try to do, is fruitless, and maybe just a way to keep one's self from dealing with their present..?

The smaller provincial towns had little to offer in the 1980s and still have little to offer today apart from a brief overnight stop. I've had fun one nighters in places like Phrae, Khun Yuam, and even Fang. But frankly they are still just small towns with little to offer to a hapless Farang who lives in rural Thailand and who gets that village fever, akin to island fever, every few weeks where I get this need to get out and meet some fellow native English speakers and share some drinks and conversation.

Chiang Mai has changed, both for better and for worse, as I too have changed. But Chiang Mai has always been a fairly large city with much to offer, even in the more laid back days before tuk-tuks.

Anyways, I've been thinking a little about the 'Chiang Mai in the 80's' sentiment..  If you prefer that kind of place then perhaps don't try finding it back in Chiang Mai, because it has moved on, but perhaps better in a place like Phrae or Nan?  Both are old, small Northern towns that perhaps have the look and feel of Chiang Mai before. (Especially Phrae) ?

The smaller provincial towns had little to offer in the 1980s and still have little to offer today apart from a brief overnight stop. I've had fun one nighters in places like Phrae, Khun Yuam, and even Fang. But frankly they are still just small towns with little to offer to a hapless Farang who lives in rural Thailand and who gets that village fever, akin to island fever, every few weeks where I get this need to get out and meet some fellow native English speakers and share some drinks and conversation.

Chiang Mai has changed, both for better and for worse, as I too have changed. But Chiang Mai has always been a fairly large city with much to offer, even in the more laid back days before tuk-tuks.

I agree. Still pretty much the same experience, except for the additions of 7-11's in every nook and cranny now. A change I was quite happy to accept when biking around Thailand...Those slurpies do hit the spot, a spot of food quality control was welcome, when encountered :o

If they keep opening 7-Elevens at this rate, I predict that by 2009 every single road-side store will be a 7-eleven.

Cheers,

Chanchao

And with better curb-side service, one hopes! :o

I have to agree with Johpa, in general, that although the variety of Thai eateries in Ch Mai may have increased (and that's debatable) over the years, the quality has not.

But then whether you see Chiang Mai as great for Thai food or dismal will depend a lot on how experienced and how picky your palate is. When I first started dining here oh-so-many years ago I didn't really know a lot about Thai cuisine and thought it all tasted pretty dandy. Fortunately? or unfortunately? my knowledge of the cuisine has exapnded and my tastes have grown more complex. I now would say that Chiang Mai, on average, does Central and Northeastern Thai cuisine rather poorly (there are a couple exceptions on the Central front, and I hope to find exceptions on the Northeastern front with help from the fine folks here at thaivisa.com/chiangmai), Northern Thai fairly well (I should hope so) and farang food passably well. I've only found one Chinese resto I like, the long-running Yunnanese spot Mit Mai.

Wira Laap Pet ain't around anymore, I'm pretty sure. The last shining Isan light, Rot Saep Ubon, has sadly gone way downhill over the last year. I do hope to try Ruam Jai Kai Yaang soon, on a reco from a thaivisa poster.

In most standard sorts of dishes, Chiang Mai suffers mightily by comparison with Bangkok, quality-wise. I've never found really good johk (rice congee) in the CM, for example -- Johk Somphet is horrible, as any johk lover will, I think, agree -- and even good phat bai ka-phrao is very hit and miss.

Still, like Ajarn, I would never choose Bangkok over Chiang Mai as a place to live, for many of the same reasons others participating in this forum have chosen CM. I go to BKK at least once a month anyway, so have plenty of opportunity to savour all the good stuff down there. In fact that's one reason I feel strongly about the quality of CM cuisine, because I'm regularly exposed to Bangkok's higher quality. And I'm not talking about BKK's fancy spots, I mean the run-of-the-mill street stalls, market stands and mom-and-pop restos.

For Northern Thai, the best I've had is the takeaway at the little joint near Suriwong Plaza near Thaphae Gate -- if it's still there that is. And of course the legendary Si Kaew (or is it Si Phloi? I forget) out in Saraphi. Si Phen isn't bad either. Heuan Phen and Heuan Soontaree are both pretty touristy, but are good introductions to northern cuisine for those with uniniated palates. And despite the many lashings I've seen given here on thaivisa.com, if you visit Aroon (Rai) -- not 'Aroon Rai' -- in the evening (rather than the daytime), seat yourselves upstairs (where the serious Thai eaters go), preferable with Thais in your party, and order from the Thai menu, you may find the aahaan meuang there holds its own against Heuan P and Heuan S at the very least. The best Northern Thai food I've had, though, has been in local folks' homes, not in restaurants.

Edited by sabaijai

The best Northern Thai food I've had, though, has been in local folks' homes, not in restaurants.

Amen. I am darn happy eating laap dip, khao niow, and plaa tuu khem all washed down with the assitance of Mother Khong and accompanied by traditional Khon Muang conviviality. And if there is some bai salee in season all the better. And there are dishes in the village whose names I do not know which I never see in restaurants and I am not even talking about crossing the insect barrier or the eating of endangered species like pangolin.

In the villages, every meal is an open invitation for socializing. A walk in the evening is often a never ending invitation to sit and dine and chat and gossip and of course drink with the guys. Despite the enormous changes even in rural villages over the past decades, the standard greeting to freinds remains "kin khao laew ruu yang?"

I think Huean Phen is going down the drain as wel speak. Not necessarily becuase of touristyness either, it's just from resting on their laurels and selling basically pre-prepared food (like at Kad Luang market) at regular restaurant prices.

Huean Soontaree I like, but they do far more than mueang food. I'd say they even focus on Chinese and Central dishes these days.. Filled squid rings with brown mushrooms in a Chinese gravy anyone? And then there's the owner who performs there nightly............................. Nice lady.... but her singing is an acquired taste... For ordinary mortals, listening to cats giving birth is easier on the ear. :-)

Actually music anywhere is mostly hit and miss and mostly miss. You can't even rely on big flash restaurants having good (or even 'appropriate') music. On the other hand, you may grab a small bite to eat in a bamboo shack recently erected along one of the ring roads and find a dude with a guitar there who's completely brilliant.

Interesting you say that about Aroon (Rai). (What's with the parentheses anyway).. It's always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine that place. Horrid service, stale food, backpackers-only.. I fear the Thais you see may be those holidaying in Chiang Mai going there for past fame? (Feel free to correct me on this though, I haven't been there in years)

Speaking of famous Muang Restaurants, funny that nobody mentioned that place in San Phee Sua.. Forgot the name, but it's seriously famous. Been on TV and all the Thai magazines. Big place, far out of the way but gets very crowded on weekends. It's a soi on the right when going North along the river on the Eastern river bank, north of the superhighway. Bit far away for me, but definitely famous. The car park attendant is hilarious, never seen any attendant run so fast from car to car. He's the Chinese Juggler of cars. ;-)

Also there's Khrua Doi Ngam (or was it Khrua Phet Ngam) on Aom Muang road, southern superhighway before you get to the river, coming from Airport Plaza.

Finally, I do relate to what you say about your palate getting pickier. I think that's actually the case, not so much food quality declining, but your standards getting higher: On a first visit you order phad thai, sweet & sour and chicken & cashew nuts and it's mostly great. They're probably still great, but also boring as ###### and finding really nice Thai food takes work.

Cheers,

Chanchao

RE Aroon/Rai, the two are alternate names for the same place, which is why they place Rai in parens on the sign. The locals call it either Aroon or Rai, not 'Aroon Rai'. Give it another try, go at night as I said, preferable with Thais. Don't order from the bilingual menu, ask for the Thai one. Not all the Thais eating there are tourists, the place gets regular biz upstairs in the expanded area. It's not the greatest aahaan meuang in town but far from the worst. Try the aw laam for example -- it's prepared fresh per order. In fact the only pre-made dishes I know of are those in the pans on the ground floor.

I hope to get down that way again soon to see if the takeway joint near Suriwong Plaza is still open. Seriously good aahaan meuang. With H Phen going downhill -- haven't been there in nearly a year -- I'd guess the only good places left inside city limits are the takeway joing (if it's still there) and Si Phen, which is also mostly takeway.

Yes H Soontaree has many other dishes besides Northern Thai but it's still one of the only restos in Chiang Mai offering Northern Thai. As for Soontaree's voice, I'm quite fond of it and of phleng meuang in general. With Jaran Manophet having departed this world, she's practically the last of the last generation of phleng meuang singers.

Just a side note, if a place gets tourist business it really doesn't bother me as long as the food's good. I don't typically get mistaken for a tourist anymore, for some reason (my wife says Thais can tell by the body language more than anything), so I know longer feel phobic about being in the same room with them! :o

:-) Thais who have lots of experience with both tourists and expats can most likely see the difference easily, I mean, so can we after all. But for a Thai who rarely meets a foreigner, I bet it would be difficult. (Until you speak Thai of course)

I just checked the northern thai place near Suriwong Plaza/Tha Phae Gate yesterday, and it's still there, still good. Name (signed in thai only) is Si Jan ?????????

Thais who have lots of experience with both tourists and expats can most likely see the difference easily ...

Agreed, and I'd say this description fits most of the Thai residents of Chiang Mai, particularly anyone with a restaurant or foodstand within thetsabaan limits. :o

Especially for Johpa I've been doing a mini survey of all the new places that are springing up along the ring roads and roads out of town. It's incredible how many new fly-by-night (most likely) places have sprung up. I tried one of them, and it was rather nice.. yet I bet most of them will fail or change hands, change formats, turn into office buildings, etc..

See: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=117105

Cheers,

Chanchao

[quote name=chanchao' date='Wed 2004-05-19, 02:17:39

Mae Kasem has been like a mom to me since I first started shopping there. Over the years, I've become closer to her, and her family. I've felt privileged that Mae Kasem opened her heart and her family to me, allowing me to be a part of her life. Her personal support has been very valuable, too.[/quote]

On Mae Kasem and her store (here sister's store in actual fact) I have ceased going there.

It is very much over rated and whilst she says that she will get something in for you (readily available in the big mango) she never has for me at least.

People and shops do get past their "use by date" and Kasem's is definately one of them.

Anything you can get in Kasems and in much greater variety can be found in Tops and Rim Ping

And is is almost impossible to get a park close to Kasems.

On the subject of her persona I make no comment. You obviously know here better than me.

=john b good,Fri 2004-05-28, 21:38:17]

Mae Kasem has been like a mom to me since I first started shopping there. Over the years, I've become closer to her, and her family. I've felt privileged that Mae Kasem opened her heart and her family to me, allowing me to be a part of her life. Her personal support has been very valuable, too.

On Mae Kasem and her store (here sister's store in actual fact) I have ceased going there.

It is very much over rated and whilst she says that she will get something in for you (readily available in the big mango) she never has for me at least.

People and shops do get past their "use by date" and Kasem's is definately one of them.

Anything you can get in Kasems and in much greater variety can be found in Tops and Rim Ping

And is is almost impossible to get a park close to Kasems.

On the subject of her persona I make no comment. You obviously know here better than me.

Yeah, plenty of reasons not to go to Kasem Store. Higher prices, poorer selection than the Super Stores, difficult parking sometimes, no wheeled shopping carts...

But, the other reasons I mentioned earlier are more important to me. They will always have my loyalty and kind regards. :o

I also am the kind of person who prefers to maybe pay a couple of baht more to the small business person trying to survive against the onslaught of the Super Stores...Surely, I must be nuts, huh?

I've gone to Kasems with some unusual requests, and if she didn't have what i was looking for hidden away somewhere in the depths (rarely did she not), then she either pointed me in the right direction or ordered it for me.

There may be some places where the prices are better, but hers are competitive and she earns my business through her knowledge, great service, kindness and lots of free baked goods gifts to take home to my wife and kids.

Her store is one of a kind and a great resource in CM

I've gone to Kasems with some unusual requests, and if she didn't have what i was looking for hidden away somewhere in the depths (rarely did she not), then she either pointed me in the right direction or ordered it for me.

There may be some places where the prices are better, but hers are competitive and she earns my business through her knowledge, great service, kindness and lots of free baked goods gifts to take home to my wife and kids.

Her store is one of a kind and a great resource in CM

".....and lots of free baked goods gifts to take home to my wife and kids."

And now y'all know how I got so fat :o

• 5 weeks later...

We think "Kaeng - Ron Baan Suan Restaurant" has the great Northern Thai food. We usually order Northern Pork Salad (#01-025 - grilled pork on a bed of shredded cabbage and garlic on a sauce; it comes with a dish or raw Thai broccoli) and Northern Curry (#10-001-002 (pork or chicken) this is the soupy curry and has lots of vegetables). Also, we recently ended up ordering the Tom Yum Kung because our guests wanted it. It was quite good also. The menu is quite extensive. We haven't tried anything exotic like wasps, etc. The restaurant is large and has outdoor seating and some covered areas and there is no air conditioning. Also, there are cats hanging around to keep you company. Regular dishes range from 30 to 60 baht.

To get there, on Canal Road from the Huay Kaew Road intersection, go 1.9 km following the canal towards Chiang Mai Sports Complex and turn left. This is about a 100 meters before the stop light. If you miss the turn, and we often do, turn left at the light and then an immediate left after crossing the canel. This is a little dirt path and go for about 100 meters (you will pass a French car graveyard on your right) and then turn right that goes to the road to Kaeng Ron Baan Suan Restaurant. There is a sign for the restaurant here. Go for about 100 meters until the road turns right, but go straight into the parking lot instead.

• 2 years later...

QUOTE: <<<<You've probably checked the food reviews I'm doing (see sig line)>>>>>

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand about the "sig line". Looking desperately for really excellent non-touristy Thai food in CM. Can one access a Thai food site of yours? Or go to somewhere here on this forum?

Looking desperately for really excellent non-touristy Thai food in CM.

OK, here's the best place, that I've never told anyone about. Turn east on the road between the "21" Karaeoke club and the Thai Mint (you'll see a red and white sign for the restaurant on that corner, but I don't know what it says). Go about 1km till you cross over a small canal bridge and take an immediate right (ther'll be another sign ther). Proceed down this road to the end, where it turns left, and the restaurant is about 75 meters up on the right hand side. The tastiest Thai food ever.

The propitor is called "ajarn saiyud" by everyone (in fact that might be the name of the restaurant) and she is a fantastic Thai chef and food artist too.

Edited by lannarebirth