Good Thai Food In Cm

Johpa

I will say again-90% of resturants i have eaten in around Maerim i would never go back to again.

As of a year ago:

For Thai fast food there are a few good places in Mae Rim in town. Just a bit past the three-way intersection leading to Mae Jo on your left (west) entering town is, I think the name is, Saam Rot, favored by local bureaucrats. Then across from the school is a decent khao man kai place favored by the school staff. And then a bit further north past Wat Mae Rim and the convenience store, again on your left, in a hole in the wall food spot on the corner of a soi that leads up to the canal is a very good khao soi place, favored by local military pilots.

For dinner with traditional Khon Muang fare try the open air restaurant on the east side of the road just past the Mae Jo 3-way intersection. There are two places adjacent to each other. The good place is north of the one you can drive down into, closer to the highway. Sorry I do not remember the name at the moment. Tables are basic wood picnic tables, nothing fancy here. But go with a Thai who knows how to order. The only down side is that they have had the same guitar player/singer for eons and they do not serve laap dip.

Choices along the Mae Sa valley highway itself are limited and not normally frequented by the locals. The one exception was a roadside noodle place that is now closed due to the death of the owner. One could be sitting at this non-descript noodle stall and be chatting with local officials, teachers, and of course the guys who handle the snakes down the road.

Local night time cantinas include several decent spots with live music along the Mae Rim-Mae Jo road as well as a funky spot just north of Mae Rim past the turn off to the Mae Sa highway. Do not attempt fate with the small spot on the north side of the Mae Sa road close to that same intersection if still open. And avoid the cantinas across from the military base unless you are in the company of several Thai pals, preferably rural types.

There are also usually several decent eating spots between the military base and Mae Rim town catering to the local populace which in Mae Rim town is dominated by both civilian and military bureaucrats. These places seem to change each year and I am not familiar with any at the moment. But if you see locals stopped to eat or pick up food chances are there is good food available.

If you find yourself near the Prem Tinsulanonda Int. School just NW of Mae Rim, the resatuarant just across from it (Tub Usa) has pretty tasty Thai dishes.

=john b good,Fri 2004-05-28, 21:38:17]

Mae Kasem has been like a mom to me since I first started shopping there. Over the years, I've become closer to her, and her family. I've felt privileged that Mae Kasem opened her heart and her family to me, allowing me to be a part of her life. Her personal support has been very valuable, too.

On Mae Kasem and her store (here sister's store in actual fact) I have ceased going there.

It is very much over rated and whilst she says that she will get something in for you (readily available in the big mango) she never has for me at least.

People and shops do get past their "use by date" and Kasem's is definately one of them.

Anything you can get in Kasems and in much greater variety can be found in Tops and Rim Ping

And is is almost impossible to get a park close to Kasems.

On the subject of her persona I make no comment. You obviously know here better than me.

Yeah, plenty of reasons not to go to Kasem Store. Higher prices, poorer selection than the Super Stores, difficult parking sometimes, no wheeled shopping carts...

But, the other reasons I mentioned earlier are more important to me. They will always have my loyalty and kind regards. :o

I also am the kind of person who prefers to maybe pay a couple of baht more to the small business person trying to survive against the onslaught of the Super Stores...Surely, I must be nuts, huh?

While we are on the kasem store subject.. Apart from having pretty good baguettes, the store on Nimmenhaemin rd is a downright disgrace. The guy who runs that branch is downright RUDE to either my Thai nanny or my wifes nephew who goes in there for us.. My nephew asked whether they had any Gardenia white bread, only to be told "why do you come to a toyota shop when you are looking for a mazda", my wife was furious (and rightly so ).. she called Kasems main store to make a complaint only to fall on deaf ears (as per usual).. Boycott this chain if you can.. Rimping have everything and more than Kasems, and service with a smile... (Free delivery too).. Back on the main subject... Hong Tauw on Nimmenheamin is turning out great Thai food...

OK, here's the best place, that I've never told anyone about. Turn east on the road between the "21" Karaeoke club and the Thai Mint (you'll see a red and white sign for the restaurant on that corner, but I don't know what it says). Go about 1km till you cross over a small canal bridge and take an immediate right (ther'll be another sign ther). Proceed down this road to the end, where it turns left, and the restaurant is about 75 meters up on the right hand side. The tastiest Thai food ever.

The propitor is called "ajarn saiyud" by everyone (in fact that might be the name of the restaurant) and she is a fantastic Thai chef and food artist too.

Thanks a lot, but, sorry, I don't know my way about CM. Where do I find the 21 Karaoke Club and the Thai Mint?

Thanks a lot, but, sorry, I don't know my way about CM. Where do I find the 21 Karaoke Club and the Thai Mint?

Sorry Ormgard, I didn't see you down here. Go north from Chang Puak Gate on Chang Puak Road (chiang Mai / Mae Rim Rd.) about 5 km (there will be a detour on the superhighway, take it, but U turn so you get back travelling north on Chang Puak). about 1-2 km from the construction intersection you'll come to the Lanna Golf Course on your left. You just went a block too far so do a U turn a the next available place. After the U you're travelling south now, and a few hundred meters up on your left will be the "21 Karaoke Club". Turn left there just past it, but before the Thai Mint which is a big inverted pyramid looking building with a glass facade. then follow thye directions from the other post. bon apetit