Is there demand for Native Chinese Teachers? seeking information

Hey everyone,

I have two main questions: 

1) Is there much demand for Chinese teachers in Chiang Mai? Does anyone have any personal experience with this or know a Chinese teacher who lives there?

2) Does anyone have recommendations for finding a job before going, OR do you think it would be easy to find one once there?

I am currently an English teacher (from USA) living in China. My girlfriend and I plan to move to Chiang Mai in September. She is native Chinese and would like to find a job teaching Chinese in Chiang Mai. She has a bachelor's degree and will have completed certifications for teaching Chinese by that time. Her English is also good although she has not taken the IELTS or similar exams. I plan to spend about three months studying Thai massage and have the funds to cover my accommodation. I will also likely find some private tutoring work.

From our research thus far its been difficult to find websites or listings looking for Chinese teachers, as most as for English teaching. Is there much demand for Chinese teachers in Chiang Mai? Does anyone have any personal experience with this or know a Chinese teacher who lives there?

My girlfriend has heard that, although China will grant her a 3 month tourist visa for Thailand, Thai immigration will only permit a 15-day tourist visa (for Chinese citizens) upon arrival. This doesn't sound true to me but maybe it is. From my position I would just go there and I feel like she could definitely find a job. However, because the tourist visa is so short she wants to get a job and work visa before we leave China. Also, it sounds like she needs to already have a flight booked to leave the country.  This seems excessive to me since I have just flown into Thailand before and they gave me the 30 day visa with no questions asked. I guess there are different policies for our home countries but still..

Does anyone have experiences or resources that could help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

Alex

In Samui there are a lot of the high end hotels looking for Chinese translators / guest relations . There seems to be a high demand for them due to amount of recent Chinese guests but not many people able to fill the position.

Yes there is high demand, like another poster said, many Thais want private chinese teachers and do pay well especially those that are well off. Hotels are always looking for chinese / english speakers as well, there are a couple of high end resorts in Chiang Mai which would be worth a try.

Lots of schools employ Chinese teachers, my school is just in a small town yet we used to always have 2 Chinese teachers (Until the last batch both left in the middle of the term without giving any notice, so the school got sick of them and got Thai Chinese teachers instead).

I have no idea about Chiang Mai, but assume it'll be a similar situation there, perhaps even more of a focus as a friend who used to teach in Lampang (Also in the north), told me that there was a much greater focus on Chinese than elsewhere while he was teaching there.  However, bear in mind the following:

- Salary for Chinese teachers is usually only about 20,000 THB per month, give or take a little (I think ours were on 18,000).
- Chinese Teachers need to apply for B visas while in China, I don't think that they can apply for one while in Thailand.  So if she doesn't get one prior to her arrival in Thailand, she may need to return to China to get her visa (And I doubt the school will pay for her return ticket, so essentially half a month's salary just to get the visa).
- Thai schools are often pretty slack when it comes to visas etc, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about getting a visa prior to your arrival in Thailand (Although in Chiang Mai, due to so many foreigners, they may have more experience with foreigners than where I live).
-  The academic year usually starts in May, so you may find it difficult to find a position mid-term.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived