BANGKOK 23 March 2019 09:26
Nepal4me

Bangkok Patana for smart kids - good?

It's nice that your son has some normality in his life. My kids have no life outside as and its a bit sad. But the top 10 schools have great extracurricular activities.

If he's doing anything that will require professional licensing such as mediocre, law or engineering he should do that in Thailand and go to grad school abroad. If it's sciences or business, liberal arts he can go abroad. Regardless, better education is overseas but it's the licensing issues.

Good luck with it

On 10/20/2018 at 8:18 PM, Number 6 said:

they are better off studying in top Thai secondary schools. Mahidol Wittayasorn, Triam Udom Suksa and Suankularb Wittayalsi all teach high math all are prestigious.

I don't know about their Math but sorry to say their English is a disaster. I know teachers from Triam Udom and I will certainly not have my kids go there based on what I've heard.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, Nepal4me said:

Your route would give him the best pathway for success in Thailand but possibly less so internationally.

Very true.

4 hours ago, XGM said:

I don't know about their Math but sorry to say their English is a disaster. I know teachers from Triam Udom and I will certainly not have my kids go there based on what I've heard.

If they have come up from regular Thai schools, that doesn't surprise me. A few of my better students in my EP have moved to these Thai schools in M4. All of them say it is HARD - students are often asked to study on their own - rather than being "taught", as you would need to teach regular students. The learning style is typically Thai, and the focus turns to passing university entrance (multiple choice tests). "If I get into XX school, I can get into Chula and study medicine", you will heat them say. These schools may well have smart kids but I personally don't think that is a good learning environment. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, my wife and I have decided to do nothing.  He is really happy in his int'l school. Playing sports and music and the homework load is minimal.

I spoke with the Patana lady and she was really helpful, and I spoke with the guidence lady at our school.  We decided to not get an IQ test because it really wouldn't be of any use.  If he scored north of 130 then it would be in his face that he's in the top 5%.  What good would that be?  

There are other schools that offer academic scholorships for the last 2 years in an IB environment.  Maybe I'll apply for that in 3 years time.

My wife is Thai and doesn't want him to go the Thai school route.  Better stay on the international program to create better "life opportunities" in future.

He is really happy where he is now so it's all good.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 4:18 AM, Number 6 said:

Unless the child is returning 'home' for university and life, they are better off studying in top Thai secondary schools. Mahidol Wittayasorn, Triam Udom Suksa and Suankularb Wittayalsi all teach high math all are prestigious. Pathumwan Demonstration is also a very solid school. He will need to take the entrance exams in M4 but if he can get into PDS prior, it has the best M1-3 in the country.If that can't happen for him,  Pathumwan, Samsen Wittayalai and Bodindecha. If he's good enough, there are gifted math programs. Stay well clear of any EP program. Your son should also seek tutoring outside as they all do. I teach English to a gifted math class at one of the above schools, very smart, diligent kids. Great atmosphere. Feel free to contact me. See pic one of my students just posted on FB.

Pattana is a great school to be sure.

I'm not so sure about that....  My Wife went to Triam Udom Suksa, then a Degree at Rangsit, then a Masters a Thammarsat....  All top tier as far as the Thai system goes and because of this her connections are excellent...  and thats how she knows how hard some of her friends are trying to get their kids into Pattana. 

In much the same way 'some' people have been at an advantage in Thailand through the connections they have made in high-school (Triam Udom Suksa) in generations past, the next phases is underway and these same connections at similar levels are likely to be made at the Top Tier International Schools such as Patana, NIST, ISB, Harrow, Shrewsbury...

Thai would also need additional attention when attending one of these International schools with either extra curricular or external classes. 

Additionally, Those who have studied at University overseas show the significant advantages they have been afforded when compared to those having graduated from Thai universities.

With regards to Bangkok Patana itself and the 'gifted' programs, I have no idea... but my Son has been accepted to go there next year - I have every confidence of what an excellent school it is, I hope I won't be disappointed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure about that....  My Wife went to Triam Udom Suksa, then a Degree at Rangsit, then a Masters a Thammarsat....  All top tier as far as the Thai system goes and because of this her connections are excellent...  and thats how she knows how hard some of her friends are trying to get their kids into Pattana. 

In much the same way 'some' people have been at an advantage in Thailand through the connections they have made in high-school (Triam Udom Suksa) in generations past, the next phases is underway and these same connections at similar levels are likely to be made at the Top Tier International Schools such as Patana, NIST, ISB, Harrow, Shrewsbury...

Thai would also need additional attention when attending one of these International schools with either extra curricular or external classes. 

Additionally, Those who have studied at University overseas show the significant advantages they have been afforded when compared to those having graduated from Thai universities.

With regards to Bangkok Patana itself and the 'gifted' programs, I have no idea... but my Son has been accepted to go there next year - I have every confidence of what an excellent school it is, I hope I won't be disappointed. 

Very good post.