Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another metaphor from Matichon:

"คุณสมัครย่อมอาจจะต้องตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่งที่ต้องเลือกพิทักษ์รักษาผลประโยชน์ของคุณทักษิณกับผลประโยชน์ของประชาชน"

"Khun Samak seems to be _____________ . He must choose between taking care of Thaksin's interests and the interest of the people."

How can we best translate, " . . . ตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่ง . . . "? " . . caught on the horns of a dilemma . . ."? " . . . forced to decide between two paths . . . "?

I've seen เเพร่ง used before suggesting a fork in the road as in reaching a point where one must choose one path, in English we might say crossroads too,' his life was at a crossroads, which way would he go?'etc. But would you agree that fork and crossroads both imply some time has passed, perhaps years, whilst in Samak's case it's only been a few weeks regarding PP party leadership.

I don't think we can use dilemma as that suggests it's very hard to choose betwen the options, rather the writer is emphasizing Samak must choose one exclusive route which precludes the other. Thus your second phrase about paths sounds better. But to my ears 'path' suggests some time hence better translated as " Samak will be forced to choose between protecting the interests of either Taksin or the people.'' duller but concise!

Another metaphor from Matichon:

"คุณสมัครย่อมอาจจะต้องตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่งที่ต้องเลือกพิทักษ์รักษาผลประโยชน์ของคุณทักษิณกับผลประโยชน์ของประชาชน"

"Khun Samak seems to be _____________ . He must choose between taking care of Thaksin's interests and the interest of the people."

How can we best translate, " . . . ตกอยู่ระหว่างทางสองแพร่ง . . . "? " . . caught on the horns of a dilemma . . ."? " . . . forced to decide between two paths . . . "?

I've seen เเพร่ง used before suggesting a fork in the road as in reaching a point where one must choose one path, in English we might say crossroads too,' his life was at a crossroads, which way would he go?'etc. But would you agree that fork and crossroads both imply some time has passed, perhaps years, whilst in Samak's case it's only been a few weeks regarding PP party leadership.

I don't think we can use dilemma as that suggests it's very hard to choose betwen the options, rather the writer is emphasizing Samak must choose one exclusive route which precludes the other. Thus your second phrase about paths sounds better. But to my ears 'path' suggests some time hence better translated as " Samak will be forced to choose between protecting the interests of either Taksin or the people.'' duller but concise!

I like your suggestion. What bothers me about the Thai phrase is that it seems more rationally stated as ". . . แพร่งสองทาง . . . ", that is, "a fork in the road" or, more literally, "an intersection with two paths forward". Maybe is is more "ไพเราะ" the way is is stated. We deal with what we have and your suggested translation is the best.

As to the fact situation, maybe the writer is being sarcastic since Samak seems to have openly chosen the first path, although he might argue that both paths lead to the same result.

This headline is from the September 20th Matichon newspaper:

ทักษิณ"จ้อบีบีซีกลับไทยมีรัฐบาลใหม่

"Taksin Talks to the BBC; Will Return to Thailand [When] There is a New Government"

My question is about the word: "จ้อ" - from Lexiton "to talk; babble; chat". This looks suspiciously like the English "jaw", or as we might say, the verb "to jawbone." This brings to mind another word from English use in Thai, that is, the slang word "เม้าธ์", defined in Domnern-Sathienpong as "to chew the rag"; "เม้าธ์แดก", on the other hand, means "to shoot the breeze". Is this word from "mouth"?

Has anyone actual heard these usages? And, are both from English as ทับศัพท์?

โจรเซเว่น ฯ ( seven eleven)[21 ก.ย. 50 - 20:06]

เที่ยงคืนเศษของวันที่ 17 ก.ย. ตำรวจ กก.1 ป. สร้างผลงาน น่าชมเชยด้วยการจับแก๊งโจรปล้นร้านเซเว่นอีเลฟเว่น ย่านถนนพุทธบูชา แขวงบางมด เขตทุ่งครุ กทม. ได้

การจับกุมครั้งนี้ตำรวจกองปราบฯใช้วิธีปลอมตัวแฝงอยู่ในร้านที่คิดว่าเป็นเป้าหมายของโจร

ร.ต.อ.บุญลือ ผดุงถิ่น รอง สว.กก.1 บก.ป. ลงทุนปลอมตัวเป็นพนักงานขาย ส่วนลูกน้องที่เหลือเป็นลูกค้าบ้าง แฝงตัวอยู่รอบๆร้านบ้าง

มี 3 คนร้ายบุกเข้ามาปล้น

จึงจับไว้ได้ 2 คน ตรวจสอบพบว่าไม่ใช่โจรขาจร เป็นตัวแสบมีประวัติ อาชญากรมาทั้งคู่

สิ่งที่ทำให้ต้องคิดต่อไปคือ ทำไมกองปราบฯจึงมาซุ่มจับโจรเซเว่นฯในย่านนี้

นั่นก็เพราะโจรเยอะ

ถนนพุทธบูชาเป็นเขตรอยต่อของ 2 พื้นที่ ครึ่งหนึ่งอยู่ในท้องที่ สน. ราษฎร์บูรณะ ส่วนอีกครึ่งอยู่ท้องที่ สน.บางมด

โรงพักทั้งสองแห่งไม่ค่อยให้ความสนใจถนนสายนี้

สายตรวจมาไม่ค่อยถึง

กลายเป็นช่องโหว่ให้พวกมิจฉาชีพเข้ามาก่อคดี ตั้งแต่จี้ชิงทรัพย์ กระชากสร้อย กระชากกระเป๋า ไปจนถึงการปล้นฆ่า

คืนวันที่ 16 มิ.ย. ปล้นร้านเซเว่นฯ สาขาบ้านสวนธนคอนโด ปากซอยพุทธบูชา 42 โจรยิง น.ส.สุดใจ บัวพิไล พนักงานร้านตาย

คืนวันที่ 18 มิ.ย. นายมาโนช โสด้วง พ่อค้าตลาดนัด ถูกคนร้ายรุมฆ่าตายที่อู่จอดรถเมล์สาย 75 ซอยพุทธบูชา 36

ล่าสุด เช้าวันที่ 18 ก.ย. คนร้ายบุกเดี่ยวเข้าไปในศูนย์บริการยางกู๊ดเยียร์อีเกิ้ลสโตร์ (goodyear eagle tyre store )ของ บ.อมรประสิทธิ์เซอร์วิสไทร์ ริมถนนพุทธบูชา ตรงเข้าไปในออฟฟิศ จะฉกกระเป๋าสะพายของผู้บริหารที่วางไว้บนโต๊ะ

พอดีมีคนเห็นคนร้ายจึงวิ่งหนีไป

ก่อนหน้านี้มีคนร้ายบุกเข้ามาฉกโทรศัพท์มือถือได้ไปแล้ว

นอกจากนี้ ที่ร้านยังเคยถูกคนร้ายพยายามงัดจะเข้าไปลักทรัพย์ตอนกลางคืน แต่ร้านติดสัญญาณกันขโมยจึงรอดตัวไป

สถานที่ต่างๆเหล่านี้อยู่ห่างกันไม่เกิน 1 กม.

กลับเกิดเหตุถี่ยิบ

ยังไม่นับการจี้ชิงทรัพย์ที่มีให้เห็นเป็นประจำในซอยพุทธบูชา 35, 36 และ 39

แสดงให้เห็นว่าตำรวจท้องที่บกพร่อง

รู้อยู่แล้วว่าย่านนี้โจรผู้ร้ายชุกชุม

สายตรวจกลับหายหัว

ต้องให้ตำรวจกองปราบฯเข้ามาวางแผนจับโจรในท้องที่

สน.ราษฎร์บูรณะและ สน.บางมด ต้องพิจารณาตัวเองแล้ว.

“เพลิงมรกต”

from this mornings thai radt .

a story about a street that lies on the boundary between two police precincts , and hence gets patrolled by neither , resulting in it being a high crime street and how the police eventually managed to arrest a couple of miscreants by disguising themselves as employees in a 7/11 they expected to be robbed.

not too difficult to follow.

For some of us, including me, the most difficult part of reading the Thai newspaper is the myriad of abreviations. Here is a list from the article above along with the pronounciation and translation:

ร.ต.อ. – ร้อยตำรวจเอก [rói dtam-rûat èk], police captain; Pol. Capt.

กย. – กันยายน [gan-yaa-yon] [N] September

ตำรวจ กก. – ตำรวจกำกับการ [dtam-rûat gam gàp gaan] [N] superintendent; chief of police

สว. – สารวัตร [săan-wát per Thai2English but commonly pronounced săa-rá-wát] [N] (police) inspector

มิ.ย. – มิถุนายน [mí-tòo-naa-yon] [N] June

บก.ป. – กอง “บังคับการปราบปราม” [bang káp gaan bpràap bpraam] Police Crime Suppression Unit

For some of us, including me, the most difficult part of reading the Thai newspaper is the myriad of abreviations. Here is a list from the article above along with the pronounciation and translation:

ร.ต.อ. – ร้อยตำรวจเอก [rói dtam-rûat èk], police captain; Pol. Capt.

กย. – กันยายน [gan-yaa-yon] [N] September

ตำรวจ กก. – ตำรวจกำกับการ [dtam-rûat gam gàp gaan] [N] superintendent; chief of police

สว. – สารวัตร [săan-wát per Thai2English but commonly pronounced săa-rá-wát] [N] (police) inspector

มิ.ย. – มิถุนายน [mí-tòo-naa-yon] [N] June

บก.ป. – กอง "บังคับการปราบปราม" [bang káp gaan bpràap bpraam] Police Crime Suppression Unit

Sorry no Thai font available here but here are a couple more (fairly common usage):

Paw Baw Taw Baw = Phu Bangkap Taharn Bok = Chief of Army

[edit: ผบ.ทบ. [N] Commander-in-Chief of the Army Syn. ผู้บัญชาการทหารบก]

Paw Baw Taw Baw = Phu Bangkap Tee Baan = The missus

[edit: ผบ.ทบ. ผู้บังคับที่บ้าน]

By the way, fascinating and very useful thread, thanks guys.

I like that ผบทบ -the missus!

Is a counter coup against her possible? Unlikely I feel!

Regarding acronyms, I found it useful to buy an exercise book, mark the pages according to the Thai alphabet and then file in acronyms according to their first Thai letter with the meaning in English and full wording in Thai. Create your own mini dictionary as it were. That way it's easy to reference them later when the acronym crops up again.

A point to remember is new acronyms are constantly being created and used in newspapers, an example being the recent anti coup movement- นปค if I remember rightly, so obviously dictionaries can't keep up to date with these.

The following is from an article in today's Matichon regarding the new Thai law prohibiting publicization of intra-family violence, once the proper authorities have been notified:

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้"

I am having difficulty parsing out the second clause. There seem to be two verbal clauses but I am not sure where the line between the two should be drawn. The first predicate is ". . . ต้องหยุดรายงาน . . ." and the second is ". . . . ต่อไปไม่ได้".

One reading is, "Once the proper authorities have the matter in hand [or have been notified), the press is required to stop reporting the news item and may not [report] any progress in the cast thereafter." This would create two clauses, the first, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสาร" and the second, "ความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้", which I realize is not a fully formed clause. Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

The translation may not change very much but I would like to understand the Thai phraseology. Thanks for your assistance.

Regarding acronyms, I found it useful to buy an exercise book, mark the pages according to the Thai alphabet and then file in acronyms according to their first Thai letter with the meaning in English and full wording in Thai. Create your own mini dictionary as it were. That way it's easy to reference them later when the acronym crops up again.

A point to remember is new acronyms are constantly being created and used in newspapers, an example being the recent anti coup movement- นปค if I remember rightly, so obviously dictionaries can't keep up to date with these.

Seems like a good idea to me, consider it done. By the way have you and Snow Leapord decided whether it is accordingly or appropriately yet? LOL :o

Seems like a good idea to me, consider it done. By the way have you and Snow Leapord decided whether it is accordingly or appropriately yet? LOL :o

Leopard

A great source for police ranks and functions can be found at http://www.buriram.police.go.th/chamni/data/eng_pol.htm

The information is in both Thai and English.

For you Scandanavian members out there, I have attached an article from yesterday's Matichon. The article cited a Reader's Digest article regarding a survey conducted of the best places in the world to live. Here is the first paragraph:

"ผลการสำรวจที่ตีพิมพ์ในนิตยสารรีดเดอร์ ไดเจสท์ เมื่อวันที่ 20 กันยายน ระบุว่า ประเทศในแถบสแกนดิเนเวียดูแลรักษาสภาพแวดล้อมและประชาชนของพวกเขาได้ดีที่สุด โดยฟินแลนด์มาเป็นอันดับที่ 1 จาก 141 ประเทศตามมาด้วยไอซ์แลนด์ นอร์เวย์ สวีเดน ออสเตรีย สวิตเซอร์แลนด์ ไอร์แลนด์ และออสเตรเลีย ตามลำดับ ขณะที่ไทยนั้นอยู่ในอันดับที่ 61"

"On September 20th The Readers Digest published an article showing the results of a survey showing that countries in Scandanavia took care of their environments and population the best [of any other country]. Coming out number 1 out of 141 countries was Finland, followed by Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, and Australia in that order. On the other hand, Thailand came out number 61."

Matichon_22_09_50A.doc

ขณะที่

are there any other ways of saying "on the other hand"

i read ขณะที่ more as 'whilst'

( nit picking i know , but its a quiet sunday morning.)

Lexitron says, "on the other hand [idiom] ; ในทางตรงข้าม"; a related term, it says, is "ในทางกลับกัน."

Another source book shows a bunch of synonyms for ขณะที่ but almost all deal with the temporal meaning of the phrase, such as, ตอนที่ ในระหว่างที่ ในเวลา เมื่อตอน etc.

Interesting distinction in your English: "Whilst", chiefly a British term, can mean "during the time that" and "at the same time that on the contrary." You imply that you want the Thai equivalent of the latter, not the former. (We Americans are too hillbilly to use a sophisticated term like "whilst".)

ขณะที่

are there any other ways of saying "on the other hand"

i read ขณะที่ more as 'whilst'

( nit picking i know , but its a quiet sunday morning.)

Lexitron says, "on the other hand [idiom] ; ในทางตรงข้าม"; a related term, it says, is "ในทางกลับกัน."

Another source book shows a bunch of synonyms for ขณะที่ but almost all deal with the temporal meaning of the phrase, such as, ตอนที่ ในระหว่างที่ ในเวลา เมื่อตอน etc.

Interesting distinction in your English: "Whilst", chiefly a British term, can mean "during the time that" and "at the same time that on the contrary." You imply that you want the Thai equivalent of the latter, not the former. (We Americans are too hillbilly to use a sophisticated term like "whilst".)

ในทางกลับกัน would be my preference for "on the other hand"

The following is from an article in today's Matichon regarding the new Thai law prohibiting publicization of intra-family violence, once the proper authorities have been notified:

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้"

I am having difficulty parsing out the second clause. There seem to be two verbal clauses but I am not sure where the line between the two should be drawn. The first predicate is ". . . ต้องหยุดรายงาน . . ." and the second is ". . . . ต่อไปไม่ได้".

One reading is, "Once the proper authorities have the matter in hand [or have been notified), the press is required to stop reporting the news item and may not [report] any progress in the cast thereafter." This would create two clauses, the first, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุดรายงานข่าวสาร" and the second, "ความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้", which I realize is not a fully formed clause. Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

The translation may not change very much but I would like to understand the Thai phraseology. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi David. I have read this sentence 6 times now, and I am as confused as you.

Could it be the sentence was rewritten a few times by the author who forgot to erase ไม่ได้ from an earlier construction, and this then escaped the eyes of the proofreader?

Hi David. I have read this sentence 6 times now, and I am as confused as you.

Could it be the sentence was rewritten a few times by the author who forgot to erase ไม่ได้ from an earlier construction, and this then escaped the eyes of the proofreader?

Great answer; thanks.

Alternatively, the first clause could be, "สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด" and the second, "รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไรต่อไปไม่ได้". This second reading at least completes the second clause but leaves the first without an object.

This sentiment have answered your question already. I think the mistake of this article is the error of leaving space.

"คือเรื่องถึงมือพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ สื่อมวลชนก็ต้องหยุด รายงานข่าวสารความคืบหน้าอะไร(อีก)ต่อไปไม่ได้"

It would sound better if add อีก in this sentence.

The topic sentence from an article in today's Matichon is as follows:

"เป็นเรื่องตลกที่ขำไม่ออกและกลายเป็นเรื่องเศร้าที่น่าสลดใจอย่างยิ่งสำหรับคนในกระบวนการยุติธรรม "

This is the first time I have seen the phrase "เป็นเรื่องตลกที่ขำไม่ออก"; I wonder if the English equivalent is "It is no laughing matter that . . . " or "I can find nothing to laugh about in this rediculous matter . . . "

The entire sentence would then read, "It is no laughing matter, but it is rather sad and heartbreaking for people who work in the judicial process."

Any thoughts? Seems like a good phrase to add to one's active vocabulary. Thanks.

Here is an interesting line from this week's Matichon Weekend:

"พล.อ.สุรยุทธ์ จะได้ปรับคณะรัฐมนตรีแบบ "บัวไม่ช้ำน้ำไม่ขุ่น" เพราะรัฐมนตรีทุกคนเสียสละลาออกเอง"

The question is the meaning of the phrase, "บัวไม่ช้ำน้ำไม่ขุ่น". The Thai book, "2,000 Metaphors" provides the following definition:

"รู้จักผ่อนปรนเข้าหากันมิให้กระทบกระเทือนใจกัน, ไม่ให้เดือดร้อนหรือกินใจด้วยกันทุกฝ่าย"

"to know how to alleviate [conflict] so that disagreement does not arise; to [prevent] distress or distrust among all parties."

A literal reading of the phrase would be, "to keep the lotus flowers from being crushed and to prevent the waters from becoming turbid [muddy]"

We have a similar, although not identical phrase in English for the second part of the metaphor, that is, "to muddy the waters." In English, to "muddy the waters" usually means "confuse the issue" but to state the phrase in the negative context, it could also mean to reduce conflict by creating clarity out of confusion.

So, here is a suggested translation of the sentence:

"General Surayut will have achieved a change in his Counsel of Ministers in a manner to "clear the waters" because all the [affected] ministers will have sacrificed themselves and resigned on their own."

Any thoughts?

a story from thai radt about the rougher and more unpleasant side of life on kao san road and its upsetting effect on local residents who have to walk through the area regularly.

มือน้อยๆที่ถนนข้าวสาร---------------------------------

สุภาพสตรีที่อาศัยอยู่ในถนนข้าวสาร บางลำพู ย่านพักอาศัยที่นักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติ เล่าถึงสิ่งที่ได้พบเห็นทุกวันบนถนนข้าวสารว่า มีหลายความรู้สึกเกิดขึ้น บนถนน

แห่งนี้

นอกจากแผงลอยขายเหล้า ที่ตำรวจปล่อยให้เข้ามาเปิดขายมากมายหลายแผงตามที่มีผู้ร้องเรียนแล้ว

ยังปล่อยให้นักเที่ยวทั้งคนไทยและต่างชาตินั่งกันบนทางเท้าเต็มไปหมด

จนบางวันไม่มีที่จะเดิน

ที่เห็นแล้วรู้สึกว่าขัดหูขัดตาอีกอย่าง ก็คือ เด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ ต้องบอกว่าเด็กยังเล็กมาก ๆ มีทั้งผู้หญิงและผู้ชาย เดินขายกันทั้งคืน ไม่ยอมหลับยอมนอน

อดคิดไม่ได้ว่า พ่อแม่ของเด็กเหล่านี้อยู่ที่ไหน ทำไมตำรวจ จึงปล่อยให้เด็กตัวเล็ก ๆ เหล่านี้มาทำมาหากินทั้งคืน น่าจะเรียกผู้ปกครองมาตักเตือนเสียบ้าง

หลายครั้ง พอคนต่างชาติมานั่งดื่มกิน เมาไม่ได้สติ ก็ไม่ระวังตัว เด็กบางคนฉวยโอกาสล้วงกระเป๋า

เธอเห็นมากับตา

เธอยืนยันว่าไม่ได้อคติหรือใส่ร้ายเด็ก แต่เห็นเด็กทำจริง ๆ โดยมีผู้ใหญ่บางคนสอนให้ทำ

พอพานักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติไปแจ้งความที่โรงพัก ตำรวจก็แค่ลงบันทึกประจำวันเอกสารหาย ไม่มีการสืบสวนหรือติดตามจับกุมใคร

ต่อมา ความรู้สึกของเธอกับเด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ ก็เปลี่ยนไป

วันนั้น เป็นวันที่ 30 ส.ค. หลังเลิกงานกลับบ้าน เดินผ่านถนนข้าวสารเหมือนกับทุก ๆ วัน

เกิดเหตุการณ์ที่น่าตกใจ

เด็กเสริฟร้านอาหารร้านหนึ่ง รุมชกต่อยฝรั่ง

จนหน้าตาแตก เลือดท่วมตัว แต่ไม่มีใครช่วยเหลือห้ามปราม ทั้งคนไทยและนักท่องเที่ยวต่างชาติ ต่างยืนดู

ส่วนตำรวจไม่รู้ไปอยู่ไหน

บรรดาเด็กเสิร์ฟในคราบอันธพาล รุมทำร้ายจนหนำใจ ก็แยกย้ายกันกลับไป ทิ้งให้ฝรั่งคนนั้นฟุบจมกองเลือด

สิ่งที่ทำให้เธอ ต้องน้ำตาซึมก็คือ มีมือน้อย ๆ จากเด็กเร่ขายดอกไม้ตัวเล็ก ๆ 2-3 คน ช่วยกันเอากระดาษทิชชู ซับเลือดให้ฝรั่งคนนั้น

ตัวเธอเองก็อดสงสารฝรั่งคนนั้นไม่ได้ แต่ไม่กล้าทำอะไรมาก ได้แต่วิ่งไปตามตำรวจให้มาดู ตำรวจกลับบอกว่า "รู้แล้ว ฝรั่งเมาแล้วกวนตีน"

จากนั้น ตำรวจคนนั้นก็เดินหนีไป.

สุภาพสตรี lady.

ร้องเรียน complain , protest.

ขัดหูขัดตา something unpleasant to see/hear.

อดคิดไม่ได้ว่า cant help but think that .....

อคติ prejudice , bias.

ใส่ร้าย malign , vilify

รุม to throng around , to mob.

ฟุบจมกองเลือด to collapse in a pool of blood

อดสงสารฝรั่ง cant help but feeling sorry for the foriegner

กวนตีน despicable

I have a question regarding the meaning of the following noun phrase:

บรรดาเด็กเสิร์ฟในคราบอันธพาล

คราบ , in addition to its literal meaning of "stain, mark, spot, or crust", is also used metaphorically to mean "in the guise of". อันธพาล means "delinquent; rascally; wayward; rough; unruly; refractory; recalcitrant."

What would be a meaningful translation of the entire phrase, then? Actually, I could understand the meaning more clearly if the phrase read,

"บรรดาอันธพาลในคราบเด็กเสิร์ฟ"

In effect, "ruffians in the guise of waiters." That would have a more biting meaning. Hopefully, there is a more reasonable reading.

Thanks; I appreciate both the post and for giving the reader a vocabulary list.

i wondered about that too , were there thugs hanging around there who pretended to be waiting staff in order to attack foriegners ?

but my understanding is that the waiters , possibly after being provoked , acted like thugs and attacked the foriegner ( who was drunk and probably unruly), as opposed to the other way round.

any other interpretations ??

i wondered about that too , were there thugs hanging around there who pretended to be waiting staff in order to attack foriegners ?

but my understanding is that the waiters , possibly after being provoked , acted like thugs and attacked the foriegner ( who was drunk and probably unruly), as opposed to the other way round.

You are correct, of course. I was just hoping for more poetry from the writer. "Thugs in waiter's clothing", like the proverbial wolf, would have been cool.

You are correct, of course. I was just hoping for more poetry from the writer. "Thugs in waiter's clothing", like the proverbial wolf, would have been cool.

All in all the article is a pretty sad reflection of several things, the indifference of the police towards crimes committed against drunken foreigners, the fact that there are extremely young boys and girls selling flowers until all hours and the willingness of a bunch of Thais to assault a drunk foreigner.

Good to see that the concerned citizen got published though.

how illegal workers are enriching the police in phuket and phangnga.

phenomenal amounts of money !!!

it illustrates how poor lawmaking encourages corrupt practices that enrich the police ( and probably government officials) and deprive the government of much needed revenue

its from todays thai radt.

i have tried to translate the article , and make it readable in english.

any comments , criticisms and corrections will be most welcome .

แรงงานเถื่อน [3 ต.ค. 50 - 19:54]

illegal labourers.

เจ้าหน้าที่กระทรวงแรงงานใน จ.พังงา แจ้งว่า สถานการณ์ แรงงานต่างด้าวที่

officials at the ministry of labour in phang-nga province report that the situation regarding alien workers ,

เรียกว่าแรงงานเถื่อนในเมืองไทยอยู่ในขั้นวิกฤติน่าเป็นห่วง เพราะผู้มีอำนาจกวดขันจับกุมมุ่งแต่หาผลประโยชน์

i.e. illegal workers , in thailand , has reached a worryingly critical state. this is due to influential figures applying the law and arresting them in order to take advantage of their situation.

ที่ จ.พังงา และ จ.ภูเก็ต มีแรงงานต่างด้าวผิดกฎหมายเดินกันขวักไขว่ไม่ต่ำกว่าครึ่งแสนคน

in pangnga and phuket provinces there are at least 50,000 illegal alien workers on the ground.

เห็นได้ตามสถานที่ก่อสร้างต่างๆ ซุปเปอร์ซัป ภูเก็ต ทับระมุ แพปลาคุระบุรี โรงเลื่อยไม้ยางพารา สวนยางพารา เรือประมง ฯลฯ

it can be seen on the various construction sites . supersap phuket ,tapramu , fishing rafts in kuraburi , sawmills , rubber plantations and fisheries etc. that

แต่ละแห่งมีแรงงานเถื่อนเป็นร้อยๆ บางแห่งเกือบพันคน

each place has hundreds of illegal workers , some have almost a thousand.

นายจ้างส่วนใหญ่จะมีแรงงานต่างด้าวจดทะเบียนเอาไว้รายละ 10-15 คน

most hirers register only 10 to 15 of their workers

เอาไว้เป็นไม้กันผี

to keep the authorities happy,

ที่เหลือใช้วิธีจ่ายเป็นรายหัวให้ตำรวจในอัตราหัวละ 500 บาทต่อเดือน

as for the rest of the workers , they pay the police 500b per head per month.

เหตุที่นายจ้างเลือกที่จะจ่ายให้ตำรวจ เพราะหากต้องการทำแรงงานเถื่อนให้ถูกกฎหมายนายจ้างต้องสำรองจ่ายหัวละ 3,800 บาท

the reason they choose to pay off the police is because if the want to follow the law they would have to pay 3800b/head as a security to the labour department.

ยังมีปัญหาอีกว่า หากได้ใบอนุญาตแล้วแรงงานเปลี่ยนนายจ้างก็สูญเงินเปล่า

furthermore , if a registered worker changes job , the hirer would lose the security deposit.

จ่ายให้ตำรวจดีกว่า

its cheaper to pay off the police.

จากการสำรวจล่าสุดประมาณว่า มีแรงงานเถื่อนเข้ามาทำงานเฉพาะธุรกิจประมงราว 1.5 แสนคน

according to the latest data , there are about 150,000 illegal workers in the fishing industry alone.

หากจดทะเบียนถูกต้องก็จะมีเงินเข้ารัฐเกือบ 300 ล้านบาท

if they register according to the law , the government would receive 300 million baht.

ปัจจุบันนายจ้างจ่ายตำรวจหัวละ 500 บาทต่อเดือน 1 ปี เป็นเงินรวม 900 ล้านบาท

at the moment , the hirers are paying the police 500b/head/month , that is 900 million/year.

หากรวมธุรกิจประเภทอื่นๆเข้าไปด้วย เงินจากแรงงานเถื่อนจะเข้ากระเป๋าตำรวจเป็นพันๆล้านบาท

if all the businesses pay the police , the police will gain thousands of million baht.

ดังนั้น ต้องคานอำนาจตำรวจ

therefore , inorder to reduce the influence of the police,

ทุกวันนี้ผู้ที่จะจับแรงงานต่างด้าวได้มีแต่ตำรวจเท่านั้น

who are the only ones who have the power to arrest the illegals.

ในส่วนของกระทรวงแรงงานฯ หน่วยงานที่มีหน้าที่ดูแลการทำงานของแรงงานต่างด้าวคือจัดหางานจังหวัด

the section of the labour ministry that deals with the affairs of the immigrant workers is the "provincial office of employment"

ทุกวันนี้จัดหางานจังหวัดมีหน้าที่ตรวจตราแต่ไม่มีอำนาจจับกุม

these days the p.o.e. has the duty to inspect , but they have no authority to arrest.

เมื่อพบแรงงานต่างด้าวต้องจดบันทึก ถ่ายรูป แล้วกลับมาทำหนังสือเสนอ ผวจ.เพื่อขอกำลังตำรวจเข้าจับกุม

when the p.o.e find illegal workers , they make a note and take a photo , report back to the provincial governor , who will then instruct the police to arrest.

ในทางปฏิบัติไม่ได้ผล

practically , this doesnt work

เมื่อทางจังหวัดขอกำลังจากตำรวจเพื่อจับกุม จะมีสายส่งข่าวไปเตือนนายจ้างล่วงหน้า กว่าตำรวจจะไปถึงแรงงานเถื่อนก็เผ่นหนีไปหมดแล้ว

when the governor asks the police to take action , an informant will warn the hirer in advance , before the police arrive and the illegal workers can run off.

เมื่อตำรวจมีอำนาจจับกุมไม่ยอมจับ

even though the police have the authority to arrest , they often dont.

กระทรวงแรงงานฯก็ต้องลุกขึ้นมาต่อสู้ นอกจากจะเป็นการคานอำนาจตำรวจแล้ว ยังเป็นการต้อนแรงงานเถื่อนให้เข้าระบบ

the ministry of labour should stand up and fight back , not only in order to reduce the power of the police , but in order to bring the illegal workers into the system.

ให้เสียเงินเข้ารัฐ ดีกว่าเข้ากระเป๋าตำรวจ.

its better to give the money to the govt. than put it into the pocket of the police.

“เพลิงมรกต”

จัดหางานจังหวัด i have translated this as " provincial employment office" because i dont know the actual name of the department.

เอาไว้เป็นไม้กันผี not at all sure how to translate this expression .

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Wright pens articles for Matichon Weekly called "ฝรั่งมองไทย", "A Foreigner's View of Thailand". This week he has a short but pointed article comparing Thailand to Burma. In his concluding paragraph he says,

"ผมไม่อยากชวนคนไทยให้ทะเลาะกัน แต่มนุษย์ที่มีชีวิตย่อมทะเลาะกันให้ได้ อีนังโมหิณีเสนอว่า ;-

"ขอให้คนไทยทะเลาะกันเถิด จะได้มีความคิดก้าวหน้า แต่ขออย่าให้เอาเยี่ยงอย่างพม่า อย่าตราหน้ากันเป็น "ขาว" กับ "ดำ" จนหมดเวทีเจรจา" "

"I do not wish to ask that Thais quarrel with one another but any human beings who are still alive have a tendency to disagree and to argue. Ee Nang Mohini has said,

'Let Thai people quarrel with one another; [quarreling] can only help them to think and to progress. But, please, do not let [the Thais] be like the Burmese who tend to label each other as "black" or "white". [These labels] eliminate the opportunity for negotiations.' "

My question is, who is อีนังโมหิณี ?

Looks like 'Mohini' is an avatar of Vishnu's, and apparently 'อีนัง' is a female impolite form of address. In this context, I am not sure whether this refers to the actual avatar of Vishnu as a literary/religious character, or a person well-known to Thais who is named after the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini

...or the Vishnu connection could just be a coincidence, of course.

Archived