Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

I think เท่านั้น just acts to add emphasis. In Thai, it finishes the sentence, but in English it would be placed elsewhere, as below.

That would be nothing but [nothing short of] a waste of time.

'mii dtae kaan sia weelaa bplao bplao thaonan' มีแต่การเสียเวลาเปล่าๆ เท่านั้น

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a short story in a newspaper dated November 5, 2004:

มือใหม่หัดขาย

A New Hand at the Store

ข้าพเจ้าสังเกตนักขายอาชีพ พวกเขาล้วนคล่องแคล่ว

I began to observe professional sales persons [and saw that] they were all very skilled.

พวกเขามีโต๊ะยาวเฉพาะกิจ ขาสองด้านพับได้ เหมือนแบกกระดานแผ่นใหญ่มาแผ่นหนึ่ง

They have long tables which are used specifically [for sales] and which have foldable legs. It’s like carrying a very large board around.

จัดแจงกางขาออกข้างหนึ่งและอีกข้างหนึ่ง ตั้งโต๊ะแล้วสลัดผ้าคลุมพรึ่บ

They set up and stretch their legs out on one side of the table; and, on the other side they fling out a table cloth.

บางเจ้าผ้าคลุมโต๊ะจับจีบระบายเสียด้วย และชื่อเสียงแบรนด์เนมของพวกเขาห้อยแขวนลงมาจากโครงหลังคาเต๊นท์

Some [shop] owners feature elaborate pleated and fringed table skirts and hang brand-name signs from tented ceilings.

บ้างเป็นแผ่นอคิลิก บ้างเป็นผืนผ้า

Some of these signboards are made from acrylic; some are make from cloth.

จากนั้นสินค้าทยอยมาด้วยรถเข็น จัดวางลงบนโต๊ะอย่างลงตัวพร้อมจำหน่าย

From there [once the site is prepared] the goods are unloaded one handcart after another on the table and arranged exactly in the right place, ready for sale.

My question is on the last sentence:

ในขณะที่มือใหม่หัดขายอย่างข้าพเจ้าเก้ๆ กังๆ เดี๋ยวนั่นตก เดี๋ยวนู่นร่วง พกความประหม่ามาตากหน้าด้วย

[All this is taking place] while a new hand, like myself, practices his selling [techniques] in an awkward and clumsy manner. Something falls down here; other things fall off there. My embarrassment is obvious to everyone.

เก้กัง [เก้ๆ กังๆ] [ADV] unsteadily; awkwardly; clumsily; ungainly; gawkily; gawkishly

ประหม่า [V] feel bashful; be abashed; lose self-confidence; lose courage; be nervous; be embarrassed; take fright

ตากหน้า [V] endure shame; be constantly gazed by the public; be shameless enough to (go and ask his mercy)

To be perfectly honest, I still don't fully see what ในหลายๆ ด้าน is supposed to refer to - is it supposed to be

"angles from which one considers gambling"?

"different aspects involved in the issue of gambling"?

or something else altogether?

Me too! In addition I have difficulty figuring out what the tag phrase "เท่านั้น" on to the "ในหลายๆ ด้าน" means in the context of the whole.

i think that's right. it refers to "many facets" or "many aspects" of the argument. thinking about what exactly a 'facet of an argument' is, i suppose we might also say 'on many points'. meadish's 'in many ways inconsistent' works too. or we might use another word to suggest a multiplicity of problems, such as 'riddled with hypocrisy and inconsistency'.

agreeing with meadish again, the เท่านั้น means 'mere' or 'merely' (which we would shift to earlier in the sentence) or, in this position, we could use ..."and nothing more".

so, including these various ideas:

...will therefore only ever end up in mere hypocrisy and inconsistency on many points.

a bit unwieldy, but more complete.

all the best.

• 3 weeks later...

From today's Matichon:

"พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ชินวัตร" อดีตนายกรัฐมนตรี และหัวหน้าพรรคไทยรักไทย แสดงภาวะผู้นำแบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด กำราบกลุ่มการเมือง 8 ก๊ก 9 แซ่ได้อยู่หมัด"

"Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Prime Minister and head of the Thai Rak Thai Party, demonstrated his position as the absolute and sole leader of the party. He intimidated and subjugated any dissenting political faction and kept them tightly under his thumb."

Question: What is the meaning of " 8 ก๊ก 9 แซ่" and where does this come from. The words look to be Chinese; I can find no dictionary reference. Thanks for your assistance.

From today's Matichon:

"พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ชินวัตร" อดีตนายกรัฐมนตรี และหัวหน้าพรรคไทยรักไทย แสดงภาวะผู้นำแบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด กำราบกลุ่มการเมือง 8 ก๊ก 9 แซ่ได้อยู่หมัด"

"Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Prime Minister and head of the Thai Rak Thai Party, demonstrated his position as the absolute and sole leader of the party. He intimidated and subjugated any dissenting political faction and kept them tightly under his thumb."

Question: What is the meaning of " 8 ก๊ก 9 แซ่" and where does this come from. The words look to be Chinese; I can find no dictionary reference. Thanks for your assistance.

'

" 8 ก๊ก 9 แซ่" is a new phrase which created by the journalist. It means 'political faction' as you used in your translation.

As for where does this come from, I'm not sure about it. But it sounds like an idiom 'ร้อยแปดพันเก้า' which means 'miscellaneous, various, all sorts of'. They might choose the number 8 and 9 from this idiom and mix with 'ก๊ก' which was from Chinese word for country or clan, and 'แซ่'(Chinese word for surname, family name, family, clan, clique).

Other points on your translation, 'แสดงภาวะผู้นำแบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด' in this phrase there is not any word saying about being a sole leader of the party because he is no longer the leader of the party. :o He just demonstrated his decisive leadership.

ได้อยู่หมัด should be translated to 'be completely empowered.'

'under his thumb' should be equal to the Thai saying 'ในอุ้งมือ'

Both might sound similar in English but in Thai they are different in use.

คุณยุทธ์ครับ,

Thank you for the explanation of the phrase "แสดงภาวะผู้นำแบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด" as "to demonstrate decisive leadership", rather than "to demonstrate a dictatorial leadership style."

According the Lexitron, เบ็ดเสร็จ means "[ADV] entirely; in total; altogether; absolutely; completely" while เด็ดขาด has two meanings: 1. "be decisive; be resolute; be firm; be determined; be resolved and" 2. "absolutely; resolutely; firmly; decisively."

Like many words describing qualities, a single idea can have multiple shades of meaning, some positive, some negative. For example in English "thin" is a desirable quality whereas "skinny" is not. Similarly, "fat" tends to be an undesirable quality in body shape whereas "chubby" is a cute quality. The phrase "decisive leadership" was used to describe the behavior of Winston Churchill, for example; the phrase "dictatorial leadership", on the other hand, was used for Joseph Stalin.

Your explanation of the phrase "แสดงภาวะผู้นำแบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด" as showing decisive leadership emphasizes the positive aspect of this political behavior. Is there a similar phrase which describes behavior in which the leader does not listen to others, either members of his own staff or members of outside groups in a fashion which is not praiseworthy? It seems that both interpretations are possible using the dictionary definitions of the words.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks, Khun David, for your explanation.

From your explanation, I think you are right. In this article 'แบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด' doesn't show positive aspect of Taksin for sure, thinking of the source of this article. :o

So, it has to be "to demonstrate a dictatorial leadership style' rather than 'to demonstrate decisive leadership". Sorry for my mistake.

'a decisive leadership' should be ภาวะผู้นำที่มีความเด็ดขาด.

Is there a similar phrase which describes behavior in which the leader does not listen to others, either members of his own staff or members of outside groups in a fashion which is not praiseworthy?

'แบบเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด' should have a positive meaning but it can be used in sarcastic way like in this article. The direct negative phrase should be 'แบบเผด็จการ'.

Please help me understand the phrase "ตีปลาหน้าไซ". The book คำคล้องจอง explains as follows: "พูดหรือทำให้กิจของคนอื่น ซึ่งกำลังดำเนนไปด้วยดีกลับเสียหายไป, ทำให้เขาตื่นกลัว จนเลิกล้มความตั้งใจที่จะทำ ตนเองก็เสียประโยชน์"

Possibilities for translation include, "to say or do something to interrupt someone while he is getting something accomplished; for one person to alarm a second person which causes the second person to cease his activities and thereby to cause harm to the first person" (from คำคล้องจอง) How about, "to cut off one's nose to spite one's face" or "to shoot oneself in the foot".

Here are two sample sentences from the newspaper:

1. "แต่ที่สุดแล้ว ก็หลีกหนีคำถามเรื่องตำแหน่งนายกรัฐมนตรีไม่ได้ แต่เขาก็คิดว่า มันเป็นแผนการตีปลาหน้าไซ ตัวเขาเอง"

"In the end, we cannot avoid the question regarding the position of the prime minister but he believes that this is a plan to ___________ ."

2. "เป็นการดับเครื่องชนในบรรยากาศหลังจาก นายสมัคร สุนทรเวช ออกมาตีปลาหน้าไซในข่าวลือเรื่อง การปฏิวัติ"

"It's a Kamikaze attack which occurred in the (political) atmosphere after Mr. Samak Suntharawet came out and ___________ regarding the rumor (of another) coup d'état."

In addition to explaining the meaning of the term, can you help find one or more English language common phrase or metaphors that convey the same meaning?

Thanks for your assistance.

Please help me understand the phrase "ตีปลาหน้าไซ". The book คำคล้องจอง explains as follows: "พูดหรือทำให้กิจของคนอื่น ซึ่งกำลังดำเนนไปด้วยดีกลับเสียหายไป, ทำให้เขาตื่นกลัว จนเลิกล้มความตั้งใจที่จะทำ ตนเองก็เสียประโยชน์"

Possibilities for translation include, "to say or do something to interrupt someone while he is getting something accomplished; for one person to alarm a second person which causes the second person to cease his activities and thereby to cause harm to the first person" (from คำคล้องจอง) How about, "to cut off one's nose to spite one's face" or "to shoot oneself in the foot".

Here are two sample sentences from the newspaper:

1. "แต่ที่สุดแล้ว ก็หลีกหนีคำถามเรื่องตำแหน่งนายกรัฐมนตรีไม่ได้ แต่เขาก็คิดว่า มันเป็นแผนการตีปลาหน้าไซ ตัวเขาเอง"

"In the end, we cannot avoid the question regarding the position of the prime minister but he believes that this is a plan to ___________ ."

2. "เป็นการดับเครื่องชนในบรรยากาศหลังจาก นายสมัคร สุนทรเวช ออกมาตีปลาหน้าไซในข่าวลือเรื่อง การปฏิวัติ"

"It's a Kamikaze attack which occurred in the (political) atmosphere after Mr. Samak Suntharawet came out and ___________ regarding the rumor (of another) coup d'état."

In addition to explaining the meaning of the term, can you help find one or more English language common phrase or metaphors that convey the same meaning?

Thanks for your assistance.

From the book 'สนุกกับสุภาษิตคำพังเพย' by นิคม เขาลาด has given an English equivalent for this saying as 'upset the applecart' which I think it fits with both of your examples.

I have a question from Professor Nithi’s article this week in Matichon Weekend. He discusses the disappearance of minor languages in general and in Thailand, in particular, due to economic and other circumstances. Toward the end of the article is this paragraph:

ภาษาชาวเขากลายเป็นธุระของด๊อกเตอร์ทางภาษาศาสตร์ แต่ไม่ใช่ของชาวเขาอีกต่อไป นี่แหละครับ ที่ทำให้คำตอบของนักภาษาเป็นกำปั้นทุบดินเกินไป เพราะเราจะให้ภาษาใดภาษาหนึ่งถูกใช้ต่อไปได้นั้น ต้องทำอะไรมากกว่าการรณรงค์, บรรจุเข้าไปในหลักสูตรการศึกษา, หรือสนับสนุนให้ใช้ภาษานั้นสัปดาห์ละวัน

My attempt:

“The languages of the hill tribes becomes the province of Doctors of Linguistics but is no longer that of the hill tribes themselves. This, my friends, is what makes the answer of the linguists to flippant and superficial. Because in order to make any one of these languages useable again, one must do more than just create a campaign, or insert them into the (school) language curriculum, or provide assistance for these languages to be uses once a week. . . . .”

My question concerns the phrase “กำปั้นทุบดิน”. Lexitron translates the phrase as “indistinctively” with a Thai definition, “พูดอย่างกว้างๆ , มีนัยว่าพูดไปอย่างไรๆ ก็ไม่ผิด แต่ไม่ได้ให้ประโยชน์อันใดกับผู้ฟัง”. We might translate this as “to state something very broadly, with a meaning that is not erroneous but does not provide any real understanding or benefit to the listener.” Domnern-Sathienpong is a bit clearer in its definition, “smart alecky, smart, flip, fatuous”. In the above context, I am using the words “flippant and superficial”.

The phrase “กำปั้นทุบดิน” is clearly a metaphor where the literal meaning is “to pound the dirt with one’s fist.” I can’t make out how the literal meaning of the phrase becomes the metaphor described and defined. Perhaps the meaning is locked in Thai rural culture and history, much like in English one might say “to knock on wood” or “to pull one’s ear.” If anyone knows where the phrase comes from and the relationship with its current meaning, I would appreciate knowing.

Lexitron’s antonym is similarly mystifying me: แจงสี่เบี้ย [V] explain in details; give an exposition; elucidate; clarify; expound Def. อธิบายละเอียดชัดแจ้ง. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

The phrase “กำปั้นทุบดิน” is clearly a metaphor where the literal meaning is “to pound the dirt with one’s fist.” I can’t make out how the literal meaning of the phrase becomes the metaphor described and defined. Perhaps the meaning is locked in Thai rural culture and history, much like in English one might say “to knock on wood” or “to pull one’s ear.” If anyone knows where the phrase comes from and the relationship with its current meaning, I would appreciate knowing.

Lexitron’s antonym is similarly mystifying me: แจงสี่เบี้ย [V] explain in details; give an exposition; elucidate; clarify; expound Def. อธิบายละเอียดชัดแจ้ง. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure about the origin of this metaphor “กำปั้นทุบดิน” but it's from intead of using proper instrument to pound the dirt you use your fist which you can do it but get no good result from doing that. From this action it's the same of the meaning of this metaphor which on some dictionaries they give the meaning of it as 'อย่างขอไปที' or 'พูดหรือตอบโดยไม่มีเกณฑ์ หรือหาเหตุผลไม่ได้' or even when you answer with truism it can be a “กำปั้นทุบดิน” answer because you can't give a good explanation for your answer. The antonym of this metaphor is แจงสี่เบี้ย because แจงสี่เบี้ย you can explain in details but “กำปั้นทุบดิน” you can't.

Khun yoot: I'm confused. I thought that ขอไปที was one way to ask someone to let you pass by (to walk in front of them). Is that wrong? :o

No, it's not wrong. But from my post it was 'อย่างขอไปที' which is an adverb phrase. It's used when you have done something without paying attetnion on it much just want to get it over. For example; A girl ask you if she is pretty but you don't even bother to look at her you give her the answer 'yes, you are pretty', this action can be explained in Thai as ตอบอย่างขอไปที. Or, your boss assigns you work to be done but you have done it without paying attention on details and the outcome is not so good. Your boss might say you work (ทำ)อย่างขอไปที.

Khun yoot: I'm confused. I thought that ขอไปที was one way to ask someone to let you pass by (to walk in front of them). Is that wrong? :o

No, it's not wrong. But from my post it was 'อย่างขอไปที' which is an adverb phrase. It's used when you have done something without paying attetnion on it much just want to get it over. For example; A girl ask you if she is pretty but you don't even bother to look at her you give her the answer 'yes, you are pretty', this action can be explained in Thai as ตอบอย่างขอไปที. Or, your boss assigns you work to be done but you have done it without paying attention on details and the outcome is not so good. Your boss might say you work (ทำ)อย่างขอไปที.

Whew. And thanks for pointing out the difference between the adverbial phrase and the polite request. That helps me greatly to comprehend the former: one wants to "just pass on by/get it over with" the situation at hand, without having to give it too much attention or thought.

Cheers.

Thank you for that phrase that I did not know; it is a very useful phrase. Domnern Sathienpong states the following English definition for อย่างขอไปที "half-heartedly; for the sake of form only; in a perfunctory manner".

From today's Matichon newspaper comes a sentence from an article about Chuan Leekpai:

"ไม่ใช่เรื่องใหญ่เรื่องโต เพราะคนอ่านคนฟังย่อมมีวิจารณญาณว่าอะไรเป็นเรื่องของการใส่ความ สร้างความเสียหาย อะไรควรจะเชื่อถือ"

My attempt:

"It should be no big deal because those who read and hear (about the accusations) have the good judgement to know what is slanderous and destructive and what is credible."

Please let me know if I correctly understand the meaning of "การใส่ความ สร้างความเสียหาย". Thanks.

From today's Matichon newspaper comes a sentence from an article about Chuan Leekpai:

"ไม่ใช่เรื่องใหญ่เรื่องโต เพราะคนอ่านคนฟังย่อมมีวิจารณญาณว่าอะไรเป็นเรื่องของการใส่ความ สร้างความเสียหาย อะไรควรจะเชื่อถือ"

My attempt:

"It should be no big deal because those who read and hear (about the accusations) have the good judgement to know what is slanderous and destructive and what is credible."

Please let me know if I correctly understand the meaning of "การใส่ความ สร้างความเสียหาย". Thanks.

Yes, you do. :o

From a newspaper article regarding international food shortages and Thailand's response:

. . . ไม่ว่าจะเป็นการขาดแคลนเมล็ดพันธุ์ข้าว เนื่องจากชาวนาขายข้าวแบบยกแปลง ไม่เหลือเก็บเมล็ดพันธุ์ไว้สำหรับการเพาะปลูกครั้งต่อไป . . . irrespective of whether (the issue) is a shortage of rice seeds due to the fact that rice farmers have sold their rice __________, and did not retain any seeds for planting in the future.

What is the meaning of the phrase, “แบบยกแปลง”? The implication seems to mean "lock, stock, and barrel", that is, "with nothing retained". Sometimes with farmers in English we say, "they are down to eating their seed corn." Is this a similar saying? Thanks.

From a newspaper article regarding international food shortages and Thailand's response:

. . . ไม่ว่าจะเป็นการขาดแคลนเมล็ดพันธุ์ข้าว เนื่องจากชาวนาขายข้าวแบบยกแปลง ไม่เหลือเก็บเมล็ดพันธุ์ไว้สำหรับการเพาะปลูกครั้งต่อไป . . . irrespective of whether (the issue) is a shortage of rice seeds due to the fact that rice farmers have sold their rice __________, and did not retain any seeds for planting in the future.

What is the meaning of the phrase, “แบบยกแปลง”? The implication seems to mean "lock, stock, and barrel", that is, "with nothing retained". Sometimes with farmers in English we say, "they are down to eating their seed corn." Is this a similar saying? Thanks.

I think you have the right understanding of it already. My idea is that it says, in the manner of taking up(taking away) their field./ They are selling in a way that takes up their whole field.

แบบ way manner

ยก take up; upheave; lift

แปลง plot; bed; garden

From Matichon Weekly comes this sentence regarding the increases in the price of food:

ในอเมริกา ราคาแป้งทำขนมปังแพงขึ้น 26% ผลพวงนี้ก็กระดอนมาถึงเมืองไทยด้วยกระมัง

In America, the price of bread flour has increased by 26%; the consequences of this (price increase) will perhaps rebound to Thailand as well.

My questions is whether these two clauses mean:

1. The inflationary increase in prices in the U.S. will result in inflation in food prices in Thailand, or

2. The inflationary increases in U.S. food prices will benefit Thailand because Thailand sells rice to the U.S.

My question revolves around the metaphorical implicaton of the word, " กระดอน [V] bounce; ricochet; rebound; leap Syn. เด้ง Def. สะท้อนขึ้น."

Thank you.

From Matichon Weekly comes this sentence regarding the increases in the price of food:

ในอเมริกา ราคาแป้งทำขนมปังแพงขึ้น 26% ผลพวงนี้ก็กระดอนมาถึงเมืองไทยด้วยกระมัง

In America, the price of bread flour has increased by 26%; the consequences of this (price increase) will perhaps rebound to Thailand as well.

My questions is whether these two clauses mean:

1. The inflationary increase in prices in the U.S. will result in inflation in food prices in Thailand, or

2. The inflationary increases in U.S. food prices will benefit Thailand because Thailand sells rice to the U.S.

My question revolves around the metaphorical implicaton of the word, " กระดอน [V] bounce; ricochet; rebound; leap Syn. เด้ง Def. สะท้อนขึ้น."

Thank you.

The answer is No.1. กระดอน in this case is like the effect from the inflationary increase in prices in the U.S. has rebounded to Thailand in the same manner.

From the newspaper:

กองทัพบกสั่งซื้อเลื่อยยนต์จากเอกชน แล้วไม่สามารถรับมอบสินค้าได้ต้องถือว่าเป็นกรณีการชำระหนี้เป็นพ้นวิสัย โดยที่เอกชนไม่ต้องรับผิด และส่วนราชการมีหน้าที่ชำระหนี้ต่อแทนแก่เอกชน

The Army ordered the purchase of power saws (chainsaws) from a private company; however the Army was unable to accept delivery of the goods, claiming that it ____________. The private company, therefore, was not responsible (for making delivery but the government was required to repay the debt in lieu of the private company.

My question is regarding the meaning of the phrase “กรณีการชำระหนี้เป็นพ้นวิสัย”. This seems to be a legal term along the lines of “cancelation of the contract based on force majeure”. Although according to Domnern Sathienpong, “force majeure” is translated into Thai as “เหตุสุดวิสัย”.

I found the following Thai definition of the phrase on a website:

การชำระหนี้เป็นพ้นวิสัย . . . หมายความว่า การชำระหนี้ที่ไม่สามารถกระทำให้สำเร็จตามความประสงค์อันแท้จริงแห่งมูลหนี้ได้

This definition seems to say, “การชำระหนี้เป็นพ้นวิสัย means an inability to repay a debt in full in accordance with the terms of the original debt instrument.”

I would appreciate if someone could provide the correct English language legal phrase for the Thai phrase. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question about a vocabulary item:

"ผลงานของเขานอกจากจะทำให้ต้องไปชีวิตหลังลูกกรงเหล็กอยู่พักใหญ่ "จักรภพ" ยังได้ปูนบำเหน็จด้วยการเป็นผู้สมัคร ส.ส. ในระบบบัญชีรายชื่อของพรรคพลังประชาชน"

His accomplishments, in addition to ___________________ for a long time, Jakrapop was rewarded by being a party list candidate for the House of Representatives for the People's Power Party.

What does the phrase "ไปชีวิตหลังลูกกรงเหล็ก" mean? According to Lexitron, " ลูกกรงเหล็ก" means "iron bar". In English "standing before the bar" means being a lawyer in a court of law or a barrister, as the British say. Does this phrase have the same meaning in Thai?

Thanks.

I think they mean "behind bars" as in "jail" :o

Thank you so much, Kitty. I really misunderstood that sentence. There are "bars" and there are "bars". I had never had made the connection between criminals being behind bars and lawyers standing at the bar - to say nothing of imbibing at a bar afterwards.

• 8 months later...

Yes, ผิว can be used for the surface or coating of things - but not everything. You can say

ผิวถนน (the outer road surface)

ผิวน้ำ (water surface)

ผิวเนื้อ (skin, complexion)

ผิวมะกรูด (the surface of the Kaffir)

for example. :o

Archived