Urine Drug Tests How to Act?

pr0fik

13 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just curious as I am staying at the Westin this week. What side are the police? Terminal 21 side? And exactly where do the stay and do they test many foreigners or is is a turkey shoot?

the checkpoints are set up on the other side of sukhumvit from the westin.  you should be fine as long as you stay on that side of the street.  that said, i'd still use the overhead walkway, easily accessible from the westin, if you need to go east on sukhumvit.  the checkpoints are set up around 10pm.  usually friday and/or saturday.  although it appears the OP got caught on a different night of the week.  there was holiday on tues so maybe that had something to do with it.

edit:  to be specific, checkpoint is at the southwest corner of asoke/sukhumvit intersection.  they stop taxis going north on asoke.  if you are taking a taxi back to the westin late at night, you want to avoid taking asoke from rama IV (this is a standard route to take if you are coming from the silom area).

Edited by buick
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NetJunkie said:

So your two puffs were what?

Have you tried not breaking the law? I find that the easiest way to deal with the police.

Curry puffs I guess

images (4).jpeg

4 minutes ago, buick said:

the checkpoints are set up on the other side of sukhumvit from the westin.  you should be fine as long as you stay on that side of the street.  that said, i'd still use the overhead walkway, easily accessible from the westin, if you need to go east on sukhumvit.  the checkpoints are set up around 10pm.  usually friday and/or saturday.  although it appears the OP got caught on a different night of the week.  there was holiday on tues so maybe that had something to do with it.

Sorry, but do you mean opposite on other side of Sukhumvit? Or is it on the Soi Cowboy other side of road? Unfortunately I have a group of guys from the US that I have to show around tonight.

10 minutes ago, buick said:

edit:  to be specific, checkpoint is at the southwest corner of asoke/sukhumvit intersection.  they stop taxis going north on asoke.  if you are taking a taxi back to the westin late at night, you want to avoid taking asoke from rama IV (this is a standard route to take if you are coming from the silom area).

Oh. So if I take the guys from Westin to Soi Cowboy walking there will be no police this:side 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I'm puzzled to know where the Rama IV meeting Asoke mentioned by several people is exactly; I'm pretty sure Rama IV only meets Sukhumvit at Prakhanong.

they set up the checkpoint at one of two locations.  one is where asoke hits rama IV.  the other is where asoke hits sukhumvit.  you are in a taxi, make a left off rama IV onto asoke and you are instantly in a checkpoint.  if the checkpoint is further up asoke at sukhumvit, you will see it ahead of you.

2 minutes ago, buick said:

they set up the checkpoint at one of two locations.  one is where asoke hits rama IV.  the other is where asoke hits sukhumvit.  you are in a taxi, make a left off rama IV onto asoke and you are instantly in a checkpoint.  if the checkpoint is further up asoke at sukhumvit, you will see it ahead of you.

Thank you. In all my 25 + years here I have never been subjected to this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buick said:

Maybe you are talking of where Rachadapisek meets Rama IV? Asoke begins at Sukhumvit and runs North.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thank you. In all my 25 + years here I have never been subjected to this. 

Me neither. No doubt there is a considerable degree of profiling involved in deciding who to target, and increasingly old farts are far down the menu.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Maybe you are talking of where Rachadapisek meets Rama IV? Asoke begins at Sukhumvit and runs North.

that is correct.  in my first post i mentioned a few names that might be used for that stretch and stated i'd use 'asoke'.  as an example, i think 'asoke montri' is used for the stretch of 'asoke' that starts at sukhumvit.  i once went to meet a older thai guy who was doing a condo deal with a friend of mine.  he told me he was at XXXX hotel on suhumvit soi 21.  i couldn't find it !!!!  i'd always called it asoke !!!

Edited by buick

5 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Me neither. No doubt there is a considerable degree of profiling involved in deciding who to target, and increasingly old farts are far down the menu.

i was 50 when i was taken out of the taxi for a search two years ago.  i look older than 50 (my friends say i look 20 yrs older but i like to think it is only 10 !!!).  my mom had gray hair at 19.  her dad was bald at 30.  so i enjoy bald on the top and shaved down gray on the side.  the police almost cut open my backpack as it had a separate section to hold a laptop.  a gel type substance is in there to cushion it a bit if you drop it.  they thought i might be hiding drugs in there.  but they eventually understood why it was in there.  a good english speaker was with them (tourist police, i assume), i think he was indian.

15 minutes ago, buick said:

It is not possible to turn left from Rama IV on to Asoke Road,  Asoke Montri begins at the Sukhumvit junction. Ratchadaphisek Road is the connection between Rama IV and Sukhumvit.

4 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

Did I miss where he said he uses speed?   Paranoia is a healthy attribute in Thailand. 

I say less haste, no speed and no weed is a cheaper solution in LOS :smile::thumbsup::stoner:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buick said:

marijuana is legal in many areas of the USA.  they could test positive for something they legally did in the USA. 

Don't they know that they are coming to a country where having marijuana in your system is illegal and a serious offence?  Where it is consumed is irrelevant as that would never be able to be practically proven. 

3 hours ago, buick said:

the road, i'll all it asoke (but i think it can also be ratchadapisek, sukhumvit soi 21, etc...) btwn rama IV and sukhumvit is well known for checkpoints. 

see my original post above and you'll understand why i used asoke.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It is not possible to turn left from Rama IV on to Asoke Road,  Asoke Montri begins at the Sukhumvit junction. Ratchadaphisek Road is the connection between Rama IV and Sukhumvit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, they do.

Even in Thailand, where they often go with the cheap, low-performance outdated version?

I know in the UK, they have an on-the-spot saliva test for cannabis.

Edited by Briggsy

Supposedly he said he used marijuana......since when can you get a positive on using that drug by peeing in a cup? What exactly makes it show up positive? I thought it would have to go to a lab for testing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Don't they know that they are coming to a country where having marijuana in your system is illegal and a serious offence?  Where it is consumed is irrelevant as that would never be able to be practically proven. 

people break laws in all countries all over the world every day.  some get caught others don't.

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

Supposedly he said he used marijuana......since when can you get a positive on using that drug by peeing in a cup? What exactly makes it show up positive? I thought it would have to go to a lab for testing.

they have on the spot testing, do not need a lab.  maybe the OP could explain how his test was conducted.

1 minute ago, buick said:

people break laws in all countries all over the world every day.  some get caught others don't.

I know that, but that doesn't justify someone being so stupid as to enter Thailand with the potential of having illegal substances in their system when they're planning on going to red light/entertainment areas where the use of those substances is so common.

1 minute ago, buick said:

they have on the spot testing, do not need a lab.  maybe the OP could explain how his test was conducted.

All police on-the-spot drug tests use a colour indicator.