Mobile streaming App that detects when a HDMI cable is plugged in and stops streaming. Any work around?

KhunHeineken

I have access to a Foxtel TV Set Top Box based in Australia. 

The set top box is a legitimate box with a paid subscription.  As part of the Foxtel service, the subscriber also gets to watch their Foxtel whilst away from their home, on a mobile device.  Eg. phone, tablet, laptop.

The name of the App is called Foxtel Go.  It is geographically blocked for use outside of Australia, but it works fine on my android phone and fine on my laptop, with the use of a VPN.

On the laptop, I can plug in a HDMI cable and watch it on my big TV screen, no problem at all. 

I then put the App on my Android TV Box, which is permanently connected to my TV,  for ease of access.  Installation is fine, but when you go to view content, a sign comes up saying something like "you can't use another screen. Disconnect HDMI cable."  Not exactly these words, but similar.

I Googled around a little and came up with an App called HDMI Virtual Switch.  I downloaded it and tried it, but it did not work.  Probably because I have a more recent version of Android than this App was intended for.   

Having a quick look on some forums, and the many complaints about this, it looks like Foxtel have some sort of code in the App to detect when the App's stream is passing through a HDMI port or cable.  Some are of the opinion the reason for this is so subscribers can not use the Foxtel Go App as a secondary service, in another room of the house, without paying for another Foxtel box.  Despite laptops being able to send to TV screens. 

Any of of you techies, geeks, IT gurus, hackers etc got a work around for this?  If not, any idea, in layman's terms, what Foxtel are doing to achieve this?  It's the first time I have come across it.

One suggestion was to try a HDMI to RCA cable.  This got me thinking is the code acting on the HDMI port on the Android box, or the HDMI port on the TV?  Could HDMI to RCA work? 

Obviously, I can't cast from the App either. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by KhunHeineken

I have access to a Foxtel TV Set Top Box based in Australia. 

The set top box is a legitimate box with a paid subscription.  As part of the Foxtel service, the subscriber also gets to watch their Foxtel whilst away from their home, on a mobile device.  Eg. phone, tablet, laptop.

The name of the App is called Foxtel Go.  It is geographically blocked for use outside of Australia, but it works fine on my android phone and fine on my laptop, with the use of a VPN.

On the laptop, I can plug in a HDMI cable and watch it on my big TV screen, no problem at all. 

I then put the App on my Android TV Box, which is permanently connected to my TV,  for ease of access.  Installation is fine, but when you go to view content, a sign comes up saying something like "you can't use another screen. Disconnect HDMI cable."  Not exactly these words, but similar.

I Googled around a little and came up with an App called HDMI Virtual Switch.  I downloaded it and tried it, but it did not work.  Probably because I have a more recent version of Android than this App was intended for.   

Having a quick look on some forums, and the many complaints about this, it looks like Foxtel have some sort of code in the App to detect when the App's stream is passing through a HDMI port or cable.  Some are of the opinion the reason for this is so subscribers can not use the Foxtel Go App as a secondary service, in another room of the house, without paying for another Foxtel box.  Despite laptops being able to send to TV screens. 

Any of of you techies, geeks, IT gurus, hackers etc got a work around for this?  If not, any idea, in layman's terms, what Foxtel are doing to achieve this?  It's the first time I have come across it.

One suggestion was to try a HDMI to RCA cable.  This got me thinking is the code acting on the HDMI port on the Android box, or the HDMI port on the TV?  Could HDMI to RCA work? 

Obviously, I can't cast from the App either. 

Any thoughts?

Hi mate I have Foxtel Go on my android box connected to my tv via a HDMI cable and it works with no problems at all.Private message me and I will give you the low down.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread.

I can confirm gaviny's information works and the Foxtel Go app can be viewed on a TV screen.

Any Australian members with friends or family back in Australia, who subscribe to Foxtel, maybe you can use their Foxtel ID and watch all the channels they subscribe to.  5 devices can be registered and 2 can stream at the same time. 

You will also need a VPN but that's pretty standard for many things. 

As gaviny did for me, I am happy to pass the word on how to do it, so feel free to PM me.

• 8 months later...
2 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Still going good for you I guess , just helped another guy living in Jakarta , he's chuffed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes.  All good.  Thanks again. I'm doing my part, as you did for me, and helping others. 

Since I started this thread, Kayo Sports has come on the scene.  So no need to have Foxtel, but if a friend or family member has Foxtel, you can piggy back of their account for the Foxtel Go App. 

If someone didn't know anyone with a Foxtel account, Kayo Sports is worth a look.  You get all of Foxtel's sports channels, but for a cheaper price.  A VPN is still needed if outside Australia. 

https://kayosports.com.au/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Bumping this thread.

I can confirm gaviny's information works and the Foxtel Go app can be viewed on a TV screen.

Any Australian members with friends or family back in Australia, who subscribe to Foxtel, maybe you can use their Foxtel ID and watch all the channels they subscribe to.  5 devices can be registered and 2 can stream at the same time. 

You will also need a VPN but that's pretty standard for many things. 

As gaviny did for me, I am happy to pass the word on how to do it, so feel free to PM me.

Hi KhunHeineken

Greatly appreciate if you could pass on Gaviny's workaround to me. I'm having he same issue with the foxtel Go app detection error because the HDMI is connected. Tried several things but nothing seems to work

thanks 

On 10/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, dsouzat1 said:

Hi KhunHeineken

Greatly appreciate if you could pass on Gaviny's workaround to me. I'm having he same issue with the foxtel Go app detection error because the HDMI is connected. Tried several things but nothing seems to work

thanks 

PM sent. 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:27 PM, johng said:

Its still a big secret...scroll down and find the answer ?

No secret.  Nothing illegal, or any breach of copyright.  Not publicizing it, so Foxtel doesn't create another barrier to watching your own account on a TV screen.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...