VIDEO: New Mercedes-Benz taxis hit Bangkok streets

webfact

VIDEO: New Mercedes-Benz taxis hit Bangkok streets

mb.jpg

video screenshot

A fleet of new Mercedes-Benz taxis are now available in Bangkok.

The Mercedes-Benz C Class sedans are operated by All Thai Taxi Co, as part of the government’s Taxi VIP project.

15 of the new taxi began operating this week, with officials saying that 85 more will be added within the next two months.

The plan is to have at least 5,000 luxury taxis in service by the end of the year, transport official said last month.

Fares for the luxury taxis will be 150 baht for the first 2 kilometres and 16 baht per kilometer thereafter.

The service is run by the Department of Transport and taxis can be booked through the Taxi OK app on Android and iOS.

Channel 3 Shared footage of the new taxis on their Facebook page.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-01

A bit of a slap on the hi-so's as they will be driving the same make as taxis.

However, even if the official taxis were to be Porsches, I will still continue using Uber/Grab !

For those wanting to ride in a wannabee style, they would rather hire luxury chauffeur cars with no mention of "taxi" on the roof....so wonder if this venture will suceed.

They have changed the sign to VIP from Taxi Meter. That means they do not have to use any technological equipment to ensure a fair fare!

I guess VIP in this particular case will mean Very Irritating Price.

"Fares for the luxury taxis will be 150 baht for the first 2 kilometres and 16 baht per kilometer thereafter."...The "brain" who decided about these fares had either too much lao kao, or ya ba...It will never work.

This is the 10th post with a comment in it and let me the first to say something positive. I have used All Thai Taxis and had a really good experience. I hope this new level of service works well and all the naysayers here so far never get to use them as they could never appreciate them.

29 minutes ago, todlad said:

This is the 10th post with a comment in it and let me the first to say something positive. I have used All Thai Taxis and had a really good experience. I hope this new level of service works well and all the naysayers here so far never get to use them as they could never appreciate them.

You a taxi ? driver ??

So if the service is run by the Department of Transport, they can fix the fare at anything they like whilst the rest have to abide by the law!!

Incidentally, when I was based in Singapore many years ago, all taxis where Mercs'.

1 hour ago, todlad said:

I can see the service working for someone or two guys on business going one office to another and prefering to sit in a comfortable back seat in quietness and not on sticky plastic seat covers suffering the clattering from worn suspension and the noise from a clapped out engine and an after-market loud exhaust.

So for me I think it will work.

I'll use this for longer distance trips that involve going on highway/tollway.

Big accident in a Merc, even "just" a C Class Vs an old Toyota you will likely walk away from the Merc. Same reason I use the AOT Mercs or 7 Series from the airport.

Thais have been obsessed with this for at least 30 years.

They put 2 and 2 together and make 7. Here's how the conversation goes.

Thai : "In Germany, they have Benz as taxis. They ergo (Germans) are very rich."

Me (aka smartarse farang) : "Actually you have misread the situation. In Thailand Mercedes Benz are ridiculously over-associated with social status, ridiculously overpriced due to import taxes (imported models) and due to restricted competition (Thai-assembled models). In addition, Mercedes Benz use very reliable diesel engines which can run for several hundred thousand kilometres with fewer breakdowns and lower maintenance costs."

Thai : "(with doubtful face) In Germany, they have Benz as taxis. They ergo (Germans) are very rich."

Casting pearls before the swine. In the Thai mind, taxi = low class, Benz = high class. Never the twain shall meet.

So, anyway, they have finally caught up and got what they wanted Mercedes Benz as taxis.

According to Press reports....

'' Each vehicle is equipped with a GPS tracking device, credit card reader, camcorder and police-powered panic button if passengers feel in danger.

For the journey, the passengers get free mineral water, newspapers and cool towels among other goodies.

Taxi VIP’s meter starts at 150 baht and increases by 16 baht every kilometer. During heavy traffic, it falls to 6 baht per kilometer.''

5 hours ago, webfact said:

as part of the government’s Taxi VIP project.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The service is run by the Department of Transport

Why is the government even involved in this business?

That likely means that the Thai taxpayer is funding the project that is being run by the government.

Government capitalization is unfair to private taxi operations and frankly could be better used towards a number of existing government populist programs.

Is there a reason why this business can't be privately owned and operated?
Sorry, but government presence in this project smacks of corruptible and abusive opportunities. Especially if government procurement laws and regulations were not followed in the purchase of the autos, maintenance and operation by All Thai Taxi Co.

Legitimate taxi businesses should petition the NACC to assure the government complies with all pertinent laws and regulations.

36 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Why is the government even involved in this business?

That likely means that the Thai taxpayer is funding the project that is being run by the government.

Government capitalization is unfair to private taxi operations and frankly could be better used towards a number of existing government populist programs.

Is there a reason why this business can't be privately owned and operated?
Sorry, but government presence in this project smacks of corruptible and abusive opportunities. Especially if government procurement laws and regulations were not followed in the purchase of the autos, maintenance and operation by All Thai Taxi Co.

Legitimate taxi businesses should petition the NACC to assure the government complies with all pertinent laws and regulations.

Who cares? 

Don't know if they still have them, but a few years ago there was a "limo" service offered from the Siam Paragon (cars were either Camry or Mu-7). Fixed price, about 400 baht, I think. Used them a few times, when the taxi queue was too long, taxi drivers too annoying or having too many parcels. So I guess this works out about the same - expensive compared to regular taxis, but not terribly so. As others said, a bit similar to cars available at the airport.

Main selling point (for me) would be if drivers  could speak passable English, and be somewhat more familiar with the concept of driving safely.

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Read up about state capture and the disastrous results for the population.

If it means when I'm in BKK and we want to go out to a nice restaurant and we can arrive not sweaty from useless air-con or half deafened from vehicle noise then I'll use the service.

It's not my fault that some taxi services use old clapped out cars and then complain that another party has a better service than theirs. 

Don't care who supplies the service it's my money and my choice.

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

So if the service is run by the Department of Transport, they can fix the fare at anything they like whilst the rest have to abide by the law!!

Incidentally, when I was based in Singapore many years ago, all taxis where Mercs'.

That must have been many years ago. I have been in and out of Singapore since 1988 and never saw those Merc taxis

Archived