U.S. B2 Tourist Visa for Thai Citizen

I am helping a Thai citizen apply for a tourist visa to the U.S. I've read all the requirements here and have a few question for anyone who may have recent experience doing this. The Thai citizen is a woman in her late 20's who has been employed for 5 years at the same business. She has many friends in the U.S. that she will be staying with for free and her travel expenses are being paid for by her boss as a reward for 5 years of work. She has no criminal record and no one in her family has traveled to the U.S. before.

If she intends to be in the U.S. 8 weeks in June/July 2019, how soon should she apply for the visa?

Should she buy her plane ticket prior to the visa interview to help prove her intent to return? It would be awful to get denied and lose the ticket though.

If friends are paying for most of her trip, how does she proof of that? Notarized letters?

Supporting Documents

- A contract from her employer stating her guaranteed salary/benefits for the year to prove income and intent to return. 

- Original bank book in her name showing regular income and savings over 100,000b

- A 1 page letter from her employer stating position, salary, length of employment, etc.

- 1 page planned travel itinerary and activities while in the U.S.

- College diploma

- Other suggestions?

Do not buy a plane ticket until she has the visa in her Thai passport.

I have successfully done 3 B2 visas, we submitted and had the interview about 6 months in advance of the planned trip.

Don't bother with the notarized letters.

The supporting documents you mentioned will be helpful. If she owns land, condo, etc those papers will be helpful too.

I see some BIG red flags that the IO will certainly see and ask about:

“I am helping a Thai citizen apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.”

How do you know this person and what is your relationship?

“She has many friends in the U.S. That she will be staying with for free”

Who are they, where did she meet them?

“travel expenses are being paid for by her boss as a reward for 5 years of work”

I'll assume she will have a letter on company letterhead from her boss explaining this?

“she intends to be in the U.S. 8 weeks”

That, is a long time to be away from work. How can she afford to be away from work that long?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but they will ask these questions and she better have some good, honest, truthful answers.

Good luck to her and let us know how it goes.

Good questions. I'll make sure she's prepared. Would any photo evidence of these relationships help? She would have plenty of that.

1 hour ago, Coconut Kidd said:

“I am helping a Thai citizen apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.”

How do you know this person and what is your relationship? We've been friends 6 years. I wasn't planning to go to the interview; just doing some research. Can someone go with her? Her boss is a dual Thai/U.S. citizen and would likely be willing to go with her if it's allowed.

“She has many friends in the U.S. That she will be staying with for free”

Who are they, where did she meet them? A few she worked with, a few are visitors who came to visit those she worked with. Plus I have some family willing to host her.

“travel expenses are being paid for by her boss as a reward for 5 years of work”
I'll assume she will have a letter on company letterhead from her boss explaining this? Absolutely. With the official stamp and signature too. 

“she intends to be in the U.S. 8 weeks”

That, is a long time to be away from work. How can she afford to be away from work that long? She's earned the extra time off + the 5 year bonus. I'll tell her to ask the employer to include that info in the letter.

• 3 weeks later...

It may seem counter-intuitive, but demonstrating strong ties in the U.S.usually hurts more than it helps. Show strong ties in the U.S. and the question arises whether those strong ties will keep the applicant there. It's strong ties in Thailand that you need to emphasize.

Archived