Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Do you miss Stickman?


moontang

Recommended Posts

Been about nine months since Stickman quit doing the weekly.  While it seemed like he was for ed to cover places and things that have really declined, he is a talented writer and a good g uy.  I miss the Sunday column, and probably better than the Post at 40 per copy....any thoughts or comments?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote to him at the time if it was a money issue, he should consider charging.  Maybe have 5-10 free articles a year and for the fans, even if it's just 5-10 dollars a year, it would have been a nice earner for him.  IIRC, at one point he had 300,000 site visits a month, and in spite of the snark he gets here from some, a loyal following.  It would have also freed him up to cover more general content.  The bar section of his column I just passed over -- booooring.  I did enjoy many of his opening pieces, as well as his selection of weekly letters.   

 

In any case, he answered at the time that his decision to discontinue the site was not about money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

I wrote to him at the time if it was a money issue, he should consider charging.  Maybe have 5-10 free articles a year and for the fans, even if it's just 5-10 dollars a year, it would have been a nice earner for him.  IIRC, at one point he had 300,000 site visits a month, and in spite of the snark he gets here from some, a loyal following.  It would have also freed him up to cover more general content.  The bar section of his column I just passed over -- booooring.  I did enjoy many of his opening pieces, as well as his selection of weekly letters.   

 

In any case, he answered at the time that his decision to discontinue the site was not about money.  

Yes, returning to New Zealand was a high priority for him.  It wasn't the same after left, but was still worth reading.  I would say the new owner had more to do with the end, than him working remotely.  The quality of the products he covered (mostly sponsors) have deteriorated so much (see:  What Happened to NEP), that must have been painful for him, like it is for many of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poanoi said:

i never bothered with stickman,

but there was a talented writer who started a site called "mangosauce",

frickin awesome

Yep, that mango guy had a way with words. Like Trink before him.

 

Bangkok definitely has room for a witty commentator who traipses about town filing reports about the quirky goings-on. Lord knows material's endless. We just need the right person.

 

I have a candidate in mind you might agree with if you read any of Steve Rosse's contributions on Stick toward the end. What I understand though is that he's stuck in  a minimum wage job in the mid-West somewhere, barely supporting a drug habit. But what a talented writer. If only he could get his shit together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

What I understand though is that he's stuck in  a minimum wage job in the mid-West somewhere, barely supporting a drug habit. But what a talented writer. If only he could get his shit together.

 

Perfect Thailand material. Why isn't he here already?  :whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

Yep, that mango guy had a way with words. Like Trink before him.

 

Bangkok definitely has room for a witty commentator who traipses about town filing reports about the quirky goings-on. Lord knows material's endless. We just need the right person.

 

I have a candidate in mind you might agree with if you read any of Steve Rosse's contributions on Stick toward the end.

That washed up guy, who likes to remind you that he once flew business class and had a pretentious hiso wife taking him for all he was worth, now living in some New Mexican She Tole?  Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breadth as Trink, but this Mangosauce seems worth a read,

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, moontang said:

That washed up guy

Yo, bro ... washed up, maybe, but can he write. Those pieces on Stick - which can still be dug up - wouldn't be out of place in a snob NY mag. The writing is that good. Man used to work on Hollywood scripts I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

Yo, bro ... washed up, maybe, but can he write. Those pieces on Stick - which can still be dug up - wouldn't be out of place in a snob NY mag. The writing is that good. Man used to work on Hollywood scripts I believe.

Hollywood TV and Movies are kind of like the NFL...anyone, who ever played is searchable.  Can you show me something he worked on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, poanoi said:

i never bothered with stickman,

but there was a talented writer who started a site called "mangosauce",

frickin awesome

Yes, he was hilarious.  Still reminiscing about  that goat in Korat thing, and that column about female sex tourists in Africa.

 

IIRC, Google flagged it as a sex site, and that was that for his advertising revenue.  That's a whole other discussion, but these internet companies have way too much power.  Some office drone at Google decides to (wrongly) classify you as a sex site, and they're judge and jury.  They're practically monopolies.  Atleast governments have some transparent rules you can live by and an appeal process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to tell the boss at a school in the US to <deleted>, because his spy-software flagged me for reading the bangkokpost online.  It was 1999, I think Trink may have been flagged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moontang said:

Hollywood TV and Movies are kind of like the NFL...anyone, who ever played is searchable.  Can you show me something he worked on? 

I'll do better. Here's the list of his stuff at Stick's:

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/author/steve-rosse/

Pick any at random. If you can find one of the thousands of expats slumming around Bkk who can write like that I'll buy him (and you) a beer. This one in particular

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2016/02/two-for-the-road/

moved me enough to write Steve a note asking to meet up when he's in Bkk next. He wrote back explaining his situation and asking if I could lend him $5.

 

Ah, well. I'm a fan of fine writing. And so always will be of Steve, who was born to be a Thailand raconteur but sadly lost his way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading a couple of Steve Rosse pieces but couldn't get into them.  A funny guy on that site is/was Phet, especially his earlier entries where he describes with self-deprecating humor his disastrous marriage to a Filipina.  Another writer there that I like a lot is Mega (around the traps in SE Asia).  He's very jaded, but spot on too.  

 

PS: I read that Steve Rosse piece mentioned above.  I agree it's well-written, but the content just doesn't do it for me.  I remember one of his other pieces that was rather depressing.  Each to their own of course.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Ah, well. I'm a fan of fine writing. And so always will be of Steve, who was born to be a Thailand raconteur but sadly lost his way.

Agree. I'm generally far from inclined  to plough through someone's badly written memoirs, but this guy had a definite talent. Stickman himself was blown away by the quality of the writing, it kind of put his own in the shade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Agree. I'm generally far from inclined  to plough through someone's badly written memoirs, but this guy had a definite talent. Stickman himself was blown away by the quality of the writing, it kind of put his own in the shade.

Yep, I had some notions of becoming a writer, short stories maybe, when I have more time of my own. Then I read Steve and that was the end of that fancy. There was no way I could write like that and, sad to say, even he's not been very successful. Ah, well, better to realize one's limitations sooner than later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss Stick's Sunday musings. Enjoyed reading them with my breakfast and coffee. 

 

Some of the readers submissions were very good too, and yes I also agree that the best were from Steve Rosse. 

 

He, and the other very good writers no longer send pieces to the site though because the new owners sneakily changed the T+C's to make any submitted piece their own property to profit from in any way they like and also refused to take down any previously submitted pieces.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i do miss stickman's weekly article.  i enjoyed the bangkok gossip section more than the opening piece most weeks.  i do remember towards the end of the column, stick had said the entity that he sold the site to was no longer willing/able to pay him.  and he really didn't want to do it for free given the time and effort (who can blame him).  an end of long era.  i hope he is doing well in NZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaksey said:

I miss Stick's Sunday musings. Enjoyed reading them with my breakfast and coffee. 

 

Some of the readers submissions were very good too, and yes I also agree that the best were from Steve Rosse. 

 

He, and the other very good writers no longer send pieces to the site though because the new owners sneakily changed the T+C's to make any submitted piece their own property to profit from in any way they like and also refused to take down any previously submitted pieces.

Good points.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, he's a man and explained we'll why he moved on, Australia I think.

Used to reaD em back in the day and take newbie advice and look for him in nana

 

by the way this is an anti disability post Charlie, Rollin' thunder...hurricane, highway to he'll...move on man he's outta there..

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thainess said:

Another talentless hack bites the dust. Boo hoo.

Enough talent to make a living from it for a decade or more it seems which is more than most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 6:37 PM, moontang said:

Yes, returning to New Zealand was a high priority for him.  It wasn't the same after left, but was still worth reading.  I would say the new owner had more to do with the end, than him working remotely.  The quality of the products he covered (mostly sponsors) have deteriorated so much (see:  What Happened to NEP), that must have been painful for him, like it is for many of us.

Yes, and he made some interesting comparisons with pay for play in NZ compared to BKK. NZ had become a bargain by comparison, but that's probably because prostitution is now a legal, taxable profession there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I miss Stickman ? It's like saying does one miss Na Na or , Soi Cowboy ?.... say hello to Thai Friendly and the others .. out with the old and in with the new [emoji100]

 

 

Sent from my iPhone X running a beta of iOS 12 using Thaivisa Connect ... out with the old in with the new [emoji100]

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...