Do you miss Stickman?

moontang

14 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

You have paid me the greatest compliment. I thank you. If only I could spin a yarn as well as Steve.

I do consider myself a fairly imaginative humorist though. But short sprints are all I have been able to manage thus far. Even a 4 or 5 page story, which Steve so effortlessly writes, causes me to run out of breath.

Listen Rosse !! Just to name one contributor Phet. He ran rings around the likes of any contributor (until he constantly prattled about his ex wife, ex bar girl <deleted>). Sadly now, he is a spent force. Just like the has been, would if he could, Rosse. PS I do hope, I really hope you do run out of breath hahaha. Bye now - you really, really are boring me something shocking. Hope you're going blue by now. Ka poof - abracadabra - ahhh you are gone.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Listen Rosse !! Just to name one contributor Phet. He ran rings around the likes of any contributor (until he constantly prattled about his ex wife, ex bar girl <deleted>). Sadly now, he is a spent force. Just like the has been, would if he could, Rosse. PS I do hope, I really hope you do run out of breath hahaha. Bye now - you really, really are boring me something shocking. Hope you're going blue by now. Ka poof - abracadabra - ahhh you are gone.

Phet, though evidently a nice guy, was a gasbag. If there was one person whose stories were an even bigger struggle to get to the finish line than Dana's, it was Phet.

14 hours ago, Melbun said:

B.S - Steve Rosse ?? A legend in his own mind - Just like Stickman. A lot of his stuff was absolute drivel. He only posted on Stickman's because he got free advertising. When that stopped he threw tantrums. You are Steve Rosse of his partner. OR his/her PR officer. I'm glad Rosse stopped writing. What absolute sh*t that stuff was. Now Dana was a real talent.

Steve hadn't lived in Thailand for 30 years when he was writing.  A real case of wanna be blues.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Steve hadn't lived in Thailand for 30 years when he was writing.  A real case of wanna be blues.

His stories remind me of  asking a distant relative about his baseball season.  Robbie declared:. "I hit a foul ball once; but we still lost." I once had a pretentious hiso gf where I worked, and even once flew business class..in 1989...

Read Stick last night, and he stated a lot things that get stated here, that I call BS on.

1.  The booming Thai Economy?  Nope.

2.  The new, high salaries of office staff?  Median household income remains under 30k.

3.  180 is the normal price for a beer at the adult venues?  Might as well admit it is a goddamn rip-off..and one of the reasons for daily doomsday reports from the bar industry.

4.  3000-5000 in CM?  Maybe I am the only white reader left, but that is rare.

5.  Many like LB?  but many more would prefer them banned from NEP.

6. And almost never a mention of one of the tens of thousands of places to go and have a good time, without spending 500 THB on a ten minute conversation with a P6 educated single mom.

And yesterday, it seemed like he didn't even write it..way too many errors for him.  Maybe he is gearing up to monetize the Indian invasion, but nothing useful for me.  

3 hours ago, moontang said:

His stories remind me of  asking a distant relative about his baseball season.  Robbie declared:. "I hit a foul ball once; but we still lost." I once had a pretentious hiso gf where I worked, and even once flew business class..in 1989...

Read Stick last night, and he stated a lot things that get stated here, that I call BS on.

1.  The booming Thai Economy?  Nope.

2.  The new, high salaries of office staff?  Median household income remains under 30k.

3.  180 is the normal price for a beer at the adult venues?  Might as well admit it is a goddamn rip-off..and one of the reasons for daily doomsday reports from the bar industry.

4.  3000-5000 in CM?  Maybe I am the only white reader left, but that is rare.

5.  Many like LB?  but many more would prefer them banned from NEP.

6. And almost never a mention of one of the tens of thousands of places to go and have a good time, without spending 500 THB on a ten minute conversation with a P6 educated single mom.

And yesterday, it seemed like he didn't even write it..way too many errors for him.  Maybe he is gearing up to monetize the Indian invasion, but nothing useful for me.  

Eureka !! A thinking citizen. Yep, I've said it many times. Don't believe a word he says and you can't go wrong. He makes just about everything up. No truth emanated from the fellow. It's almost as if he is jealous of punters enjoying themselves because he doesn't. And don't get me started about his fondness of ladyboys. AKA men in skirts. <deleted> would a hetero want with them when there are so many real pretty women.A very reasonable prices.

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Clear as mud... you may like to wallow in this non descript mire.

My advice - go back to sleep.

Why? And miss the whinging from nobodies jealous of somebody? Its waaaaaay too entertaining.

Look at how much more competition to his site, nowadays.  He almost had a monopoly after Trink was banished.  The way his is released Sunday evenings is good, and people got in the habnit, but it ain't really news.  When was the last time one of you went to a party or event that he informed you of?  I actually checked out lighthouse, because they have the guts to do drink promos...it was pretty good, but promos are plain as day if you walk through the cowboy...nothing to bring me back to Nana since the new roof.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Why? And miss the whinging from nobodies jealous of somebody? Its waaaaaay too entertaining.

Encrypted message again.  Maybe you are a nobody that can't clearly express yourself. Glad you're entertained. Doesn't take much obviously. Now I ask again: whom are we jealous of and for what reason ?? Reminder : this is an open forum of individuals to speak openly about our likes and dislikes. Criticisms are welcome - nutty 6 word expressions are clearly only what you are seemingly capable of. Correct ?? Are you capable of a coherent sentence to express what you are trying to say to the readership.

14 minutes ago, moontang said:

Look at how much more competition to his site, nowadays.  He almost had a monopoly after Trink was banished.  The way his is released Sunday evenings is good, and people got in the habnit, but it ain't really news.  When was the last time one of you went to a party or event that he informed you of?  I actually checked out lighthouse, because they have the guts to do drink promos...it was pretty good, but promos are plain as day if you walk through the cowboy...nothing to bring me back to Nana since the new roof.

I am probably one of a few who know the Cat house was named after the cat's and I have not been back since they stopped the all you can drink bottles of beer for 600 baht.  I think it was 600 baht.  

29 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Are you capable of a coherent sentence to express what you are trying to say to the readership.

Seems to me my sentence structure was appropriate and grammatically correct. It also clearly expresses my thoughts. I'm sorry it doesn't meet your standards

I went and looked at his latest.  Doesn't sound like Stick to me.  Unless he has gotten a lot younger and less mature.  He said his lens was misbehaving.  Huh?  And all the talk about his wife - never before.  Not going to the hospital when injured?  The whole thing sounded fishy to me. 

No more than I miss trink. 

Time marches on. Like trink, stickman was relevant 15 years ago, the Bangkok he reported on was vital and interesting, it ceased to be so. 

Likewise he was reporting for a demographic that has moved on, or is actively shuffling offstage. Drunken English teachers and aged sex pests have had their day, social media does the job the beer bars and gogos used to. 

Only very few still care, and their numbers are shrinking rapidly. 

EDIT, I just read through the comments, and those who. Care seem to be here. Colour me surprised. 

Another crumbling Thailand internet edifice. 

Mangosauce was howver epic, and knew when it's time had come. 

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I went and looked at his latest.  Doesn't sound like Stick to me.  Unless he has gotten a lot younger and less mature.  He said his lens was misbehaving.  Huh?  And all the talk about his wife - never before.  Not going to the hospital when injured?  The whole thing sounded fishy to me. 

It's Stick all right !! No other clown would be constantly giving you glimpses of NZ and claiming how wonderful it is. On a male, red light sex oriented site. Go live down there for a while - you would need to belong to the LGBT set, sip soy lattes, and be taking SSRI's to combat the extreme boredom. Hmmm I would say he partakes of one or a few of those :)) Always amused me in the last few years he lived in Bangkok and claimed he hadn't been with bargirls  (because of all the damage that's done to them. What a joke.

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

No more than I miss trink. 

Time marches on. Like trink, stickman was relevant 15 years ago, the Bangkok he reported on was vital and interesting, it ceased to be so. 

Likewise he was reporting for a demographic that has moved on, or is actively shuffling offstage. Drunken English teachers and aged sex pests have had their day, social media does the job the beer bars and gogos used to. 

Only very few still care, and their numbers are shrinking rapidly. 

EDIT, I just read through the comments, and those who. Care seem to be here. Colour me surprised. 

Another crumbling Thailand internet edifice. 

Mangosauce was howver epic, and knew when it's time had come. 

Huh  "like wise - he was reporting on a demographic that has moved on" --- Are your eyes closed when you go to BKK / Patts ??? Absolutely no !!  His site is finished Yes!! (because Stickman put the site on hold - had zero enthusiasm and now has tried to make this comeback. He basically f****d his own site up. In his absence YouTube has made it totally irrelevant. But the demographic of gentleman (of any age) - be they English teachers, s*x pests wanting to find "tenderness for a price" hasn't.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I am probably one of a few who know the Cat house was named after the cat's and I have not been back since they stopped the all you can drink bottles of beer for 600 baht.  I think it was 600 baht.  

200 for Chang 300 for Heineken was the aycd promo..16:00-20:00.

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, ChidlomDweller said:

I wrote to him at the time if it was a money issue, he should consider charging.  Maybe have 5-10 free articles a year and for the fans, even if it's just 5-10 dollars a year, it would have been a nice earner for him.  IIRC, at one point he had 300,000 site visits a month, and in spite of the snark he gets here from some, a loyal following.  It would have also freed him up to cover more general content.  The bar section of his column I just passed over -- booooring.  I did enjoy many of his opening pieces, as well as his selection of weekly letters.   

In any case, he answered at the time that his decision to discontinue the site was not about money.  

OMG - that's a joke - as if anyone remains in a business if it's not making money.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:37 PM, moontang said:

Yes, returning to New Zealand was a high priority for him.  It wasn't the same after left, but was still worth reading.  I would say the new owner had more to do with the end, than him working remotely.  The quality of the products he covered (mostly sponsors) have deteriorated so much (see:  What Happened to NEP), that must have been painful for him, like it is for many of us.

There was never a new owner. He was telling porkies to put the site in abeyance so he could ponce around boring NZ with other ponce mates for a while.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, Shaksey said:

I miss Stick's Sunday musings. Enjoyed reading them with my breakfast and coffee. 

Some of the readers submissions were very good too, and yes I also agree that the best were from Steve Rosse. 

He, and the other very good writers no longer send pieces to the site though because the new owners sneakily changed the T+C's to make any submitted piece their own property to profit from in any way they like and also refused to take down any previously submitted pieces.

New owners my ar*e. Stick did it.

read some of his stuff,and downloaded loads more to peruse at a later date. last DL about 10 yrs ago, one day when i'm bored I hope to remember I've got lots of his stuff on a USB stick. what I have read is good, mangosauce same same...

2 minutes ago, jastheace said:

read some of his stuff,and downloaded loads more to peruse at a later date. last DL about 10 yrs ago, one day when i'm bored I hope to remember I've got lots of his stuff on a USB stick. what I have read is good, mangosauce same same...

Yeh have to agree - the reader submissions are good but Sticks endless prattling about NZ is ridiculous. He tells a great deal of porkies and is not to be believed.

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Yeh have to agree - the reader submissions are good but Sticks endless prattling about NZ is ridiculous. He tells a great deal of porkies and is not to be believed.

He now sounds like some TV posters who returned to their home country.

Babbling on about how great his home country is, in comparison to Thailand, to try and justify to HIMSELF that he made the right move.

The only praises he has for Thailand, are saved for his invaluable bar sponsors, which are the "best" bars/gogos in Thailand ???????? (purely in his opinion), and are jam packed every single night ???????? ! 

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He now sounds like some TV posters who returned to their home country.

Babbling on about how great his home country is, in comparison to Thailand, to try and justify to HIMSELF that he made the right move.

The only praises he has for Thailand, are saved for his invaluable bar sponsors, which are the "best" bars/gogos in Thailand ???????? (purely in his opinion), and are jam packed every single night ???????? ! 

Yep - bulls**t artist. I don't believe a word he says. And I've come to believe he IS "the pretender" - trying to flog off gay sex with ladyboys. He seems to be very invested in these strange fellows - in spite of recently trying to smooth a tarnished image by morphing into the happily married man in NZ......... BS.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  My name is Steve Rosse.  It has been pointed out to me that I've been mentioned here in this thread.  I would like to say a couple of things.

First, this is me, nobody else is me.  This is my first post to ThaiVisa in a million years.  I have never posted or published anything unless it was under my own name.  Jesus, half the time people are criticizing me for being an attention whore, the other half they're accusing me of seeking anonymity under an avatar.  Make up your minds, haters.

Second, I think Stick did sell his site, and then immediately regretted it and tried to backpedal.  I think he's sick to death of Thailand, hates it, but doesn't know what else to do with his time.

Third, he's not into katoeys.  They're just paying him to promote their venues.  I've got a theatre degree, I've been friends with lots of gay men and women, and a few professional drag queens, and Stick aint the type.  He aint the type at all.

Third, thanks to the couple of people here who praised my writing.  As for why I did not take over Trink's column back in the 1990's:  Because I hated the premise of the thing, and I could see even then that it was a dinosaur.  (Forty years Trink wrote that column, and it won him no friends; just wait and see how many people come to his funeral.)  Why I'm not Thailand's premier "YouTuber" today:  Because I'm an only child of a single parent and five years ago my Mom got sick.  While she still lives (and now she's much better) I don't feel comfortable leaving the US.  I've visited Thailand three times since 1997, and honestly, it is not nearly as much fun as it was back in the day.  But I suppose that when I can finally retire and go live someplace of my own choosing, it will be Thailand.  Just because I've invested all this time in learning about the place.

And finally, no, I don't have a "drug problem."  I smoke weed every day and have since I was fifteen years old.  I have no problem with that, and where I live now it's perfectly legal.  After spending most of my life smoking two packs a day I now only smoke tobacco on the weekends.  I never touch alcohol, or any other drugs, so no, I don't have a "drug problem." 

I'm not that romantic or interesting.

Peace,

Steve 

Archived