Thai IDs for Foreigners and their beneifts

Patriot

Good afternoon.

Having acquired my Thai ID today, can I please regurgitate the argument regarding their benefits as I believe they are precious few!!

Can one travel throughout Thailand without one's passport? Probably not; no visa record

Can one use it as ID for banking purposes? Probably not; account name in English/Farng, ID in Thai

Can one use it for airline travel? Probably not; ticket and ID names will not correspond.

Can one use it to enter National Parks etc as a Thai? Maybe (The Khao Yai scam being the worst, as it is a through road with few alternatives)

Can one use it to secure preferential seating and discount at Spago? Probably ............... not sure!!!!

The authorities are more than happy as you have volunteered your thumb print and blood group; not that I have anything to worry about..... hmmm

Interested to hear others' views

Cheers and have a great weekend

CC

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, saakura said:

So pray tell us, why did you get yourself this pink card when you insinuate that it is practically useless? Or just weekend trolling?

Because it was so painless to acquire, just wondered what benefits others had experienced. 

There again I didn’t think it’d be too long before a keyboard warrior? tucked away on deepest Isaan, would come out with exactly the same post as your good self

My bank has accepted the pink card also i have used it to book into hotels. The post office accepts it as id when collecting ems packages. I have got into tourist attractions at Thai prices with it. 

Its been quite useful since I got it and my passport stays in my safe.

19 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

What does one need to get a Thai ID card for foreigners ?

The first step is getting yellow book from local Ampher, ID is 5 minute job after you get yellow book, all the same information. All Ampers are often different but usually certified translation of passport, blue book, Thai witnesses. Lots of old threads on the topic.

I have used pink ID 4-5 times around Pattaya to get Thai price and access to Thai only army beach. Opened a Thai name bank account (ID is your name in Thai), cant be used to operate my English name account. Also airline check-ins when the booking was made in Thai script. Some banks and airlines will accept for English name accounts and bookings.

1 hour ago, happylarry said:

My bank has accepted the pink card also i have used it to book into hotels. The post office accepts it as id when collecting ems packages. I have got into tourist attractions at Thai prices with it. 

Its been quite useful since I got it and my passport stays in my safe.

Thank you Larry ..... are you an Ubonite??

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I have used pink ID 4-5 times around Pattaya to get Thai price and access to Thai only army beach. Opened a Thai name bank account (ID is your name in Thai), cant be used to operate my English name account. Also airline check-ins when the booking was made in Thai script. Some banks and airlines will accept for English name accounts and bookings.

Thanks Geezer!

I also was considering the Pink ID card just to avoid hangling my passport around.

But what if the Police challenge you to produce a passport despite having the pink ID card ?...as the ID card does not show when you entered the kingdom, what visa you have and if you have overstayed ?...or am I wrong ?

20 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I also was considering the Pink ID card just to avoid hangling my passport around.

But what if the Police challenge you to produce a passport despite having the pink ID card ?...as the ID card does not show when you entered the kingdom, what visa you have and if you have overstayed ?...or am I wrong ?

Well I cant answer that question as I havent been asked by the police for my passport......only ever been asked for my driving licence when driving and they are thirsty.

But I would imagine that the police would realise how difficult it is to get a pink card and would therefore accept that the person was not an overstayer etc.

Dont forget you need a yellow house book before you can get the pink card so you already have many personal details on many government web sites.

10 minutes ago, happylarry said:

Well I cant answer that question as I havent been asked by the police for my passport......only ever been asked for my driving licence when driving and they are thirsty.

But I would imagine that the police would realise how difficult it is to get a pink card and would therefore accept that the person was not an overstayer etc.

Dont forget you need a yellow house book before you can get the pink card so you already have many personal details on many government web sites.

This has been discussed many times. A photocopy of your passport face page, plus a copy of your visa or extension of stay until date is acceptable when reduced to credit cad size providing all information is legible. Laminated back to back.

I have produced mine to a police check point and one operated by army troops. no problem.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If anyone has successfully used it at Khao Yai please let me know - that would motivate me to get one as I live near it and have occasion to use that road.

Two months ago we were driving south to north, I tried using my Driving License for a fee reduction but was told I had to have a Thai ID. I had to pay  I think it was 500 baht, but’d be interested if the pink one works; surely it will work???

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I've never been asked by the police for my passport in nearly 15 years. I have never carried it other than to show it to immigration or the bank. But now I have the 'Pink Card' I use that at the bank instead. As for the police looking to see when you 'entered the kingdom' etc etc, it doesn't happen. I'd bet yer average Thai policeman wouldn't know what the immigration rules are regarding overstay and visas. Not their job. As the Thais say 'Falang tink too mut.'

47 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I've never been asked by the police for my passport in nearly 15 years. I have never carried it other than to show it to immigration or the bank. But now I have the 'Pink Card' I use that at the bank instead. As for the police looking to see when you 'entered the kingdom' etc etc, it doesn't happen. I'd bet yer average Thai policeman wouldn't know what the immigration rules are regarding overstay and visas. Not their job. As the Thais say 'Falang tink too mut.'

The Pink ID card is just wonderful. I use it at the bank, post office, checking into hotels throughout Thailand, flying on domestic flights. Anywhere where ID is required to be shown. My passport only comes out when I am flying overseas. It stays at home. Thais love it because everything is written in Thai. Easy to read.

I can not answer whether or not it can be used to open a new bank account because all my bank accounts were opened years ago before I had an ID card. But for making transactions, my bank accepts my ID card. I know I just used my ID card to get my internet banking organised.

The only place in Ubon that still insists to see my passport is the Labour Department when I do my annual work permit.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

A public prosecutor, well known to me, told me that if challenged by the police to show the passport, that can be done in any police station within 24 hours.

Having a Thai ID number, a yellow Tambien Baan and a pink ID card for foreigners, means you are registered in Thailand.

On entering your ID number the database will show your passport plus visa, your fingerprint and anything else that is in the database.

His advise was to make a copy of your passport title page and your current visa or extension of stay in credit card format and keep that with you, although it is not necessary.

If you are a tourist and not registered in Thailand, so don't have a Thai ID number, then you must carry your passport always, you must be able to prove your identity.

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What airlines lets you make bookings in Thai script? 

I carry both Thai ID and Thai driving, But I make no offer than the Thai ID. It is great as it shows you are ' accepted' has staying in Thailand. The ID number is the only requirement for them to trace you. If the police are that interested in knowing more , its because you have done something that is requiring them to find out more! It is also helpful for Thai's who's command of English is low. Your name in Thai script phonetic, so they are quite capable of pronouncing it. Surely if you went to the bother of getting it then the rest of your paperwork is up to date, as you want to be known as a person Thailand is happy to have in their country?

It’s a great convenience. Domestic flight check-ins. Hotel check-ins, Thai price anywhere I’ve used it. Phone and SIM card purchases. Warranty registrations. Bonus is the change in attitude that occurs when you show it.

18 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

What airlines lets you make bookings in Thai script? 

Not sure but thats what a domestic check-in counter once advised me, they accept pink ID for a thai name booking. (probably more theoretical) but explains why pink ID not always excepted for an english name booking. 

Archived