BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patriot

Thai IDs for Foreigners and their beneifts

On 6/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, puchooay said:

For those that do have a yellow book, a question.....

Did your passport translation need to be stamped by your home country's embassy?

Muang Buriram district office are asking for this but at least 5 other districts, that I know of, are not.

Mine did not require stamp by home embassy.  I used lady to translate have used several times.  Told her what I was doing and she took care of it.  It may have had MFA stamp, I don't recall.  But she took care of the translation and all certifications.  Piece of cake.

Yes, it does. Passport copy must be stamped true document by the consulate. If not, the MFA in BKK can't stamp the translation legal. It seems to be a rather recent requirement and came up just a few years ago. Same thing with marriage. Bangrak, BKK required the passport copy stamped true by the consulate in 2017. No translation needed. Kinda makes sense.

Years ago my embassy made a photocopy of my passport and put their seal on it and an officer blessed it.  Today, my feeble antique brain can't even remember what I needed it for. Maybe I was doing something at the MFA.

I needed a translation of my passport for my yellow book/pink ID.  I did not need to have it blessed by the embassy. This was in Buriram province, but not A. Muang.

I've used it once so far. I opened a bank account. I wish I had tried to use it instead of my passport for my DL. My name would have been in both Thai and English. Also, my passport expires before my DL; but my pink ID has no expiry. 

23 hours ago, gunghang said:

Years ago my embassy made a photocopy of my passport and put their seal on it and an officer blessed it.  Today, my feeble antique brain can't even remember what I needed it for. Maybe I was doing something at the MFA.

I needed a translation of my passport for my yellow book/pink ID.  I did not need to have it blessed by the embassy. This was in Buriram province, but not A. Muang.

I've used it once so far. I opened a bank account. I wish I had tried to use it instead of my passport for my DL. My name would have been in both Thai and English. Also, my passport expires before my DL; but my pink ID has no expiry. 

Even using your ID card, you may not be able to get your name printed in Thai on your drivers licence. Here in Ubon Ratchathani my first 5-year drivers licence issued in 2010, had my ID card number printed in both the Thai and English sections and my name printed in Thai in the Thai section and in English in the English section. 

When I renewed the drivers licence in 2015, they refused to use my Thai ID card number (I have prermanent residence) and insisted that my Passport number be used in both sections. I pointed out to the police officer doing this, that my passport was going to expire in 6 months time, whereas my ID was for life. I said that last time my ID card number was used and not my passport. She said all foreigners must use their passport and to stop telling her how do her job!

I received the new driver's licence and on my way home, the police officer rang me and asked for me to return as they had made a mistake. Upon my return, I found that the "mistake" was that in the Thai section, my name was printed in Thai and not English. It must be in English. Foreigners can not have their name in Thai in the Thai section. 

But this was in Ubon Ratchathani. Buriram and other provinces may be different.

Next year when I renew my licence for another 5 years, I wonder what "changes" will be made this time. 

6 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

But this was in Ubon Ratchathani. Buriram and other provinces may be different.

Next year when I renew my licence for another 5 years, I wonder what "changes" will be made this time. 

Hopefully they have got briefed the real rules in between the years and you can proceed the normal way with TB and ID number. As things are usually done.

BTW, in another "problem office" at Pattaya Banglamung DLT, people have also reported that TB and ID are not accepted for DLs. I just recently changed my vehicle's ownership book in my Thai name and 13 digit number there. No problem, the officers were polite enough but the one who helps to fill out forms tried to tell everyone that it is not allowed. I told her to call BKK where I had just received specific instructions, also in writing. But she refused to admit being in wrong and was quite rude actually. It's good she holds no real position there and acts only as the translator in english I guess.