Thai IDs for Foreigners and their beneifts

Patriot

47 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

And 'American English' grammar does?    ?  

I never referred to American English grammar.  I am stating what the majority of the world and top industrialized countries use as a phrase for this type of activity. 

If you want to bring up various styles of speaking English, you should recognize that in the most highly developed non-Native English speaking economies all prefer American teachers and often in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, etc., my friends from the US get paid far more than UK teachers and my Canadian friends who teach are often told by the school they are from America on Parent-Teacher nights.  Thailand still offers the highest teacher salaries to Americans by far from just an informal discussion with my friends (UK, US, Australia, etc), but I am not an English teacher, so I have no first-hand information.  Here in Lopburi city, we have 3 British run language schools, and two of them are about ready to close.  My wife gets many phone calls from parents unhappy with the British accent of these school owners who would like me to tutor their children since I occasionally will do so when I have a month of free time.  I admit I cannot understand the Cockney accent of one major school in Central Lopburi when he has spoken to me and tried to say I was stealing his students.  He threatened me with defamation of character ... LoL.  I'm a lawyer who graduated YALE Law School and had the top foreign-owned law firm in Bkk from 2004-2009, as voted by the Bkk Post.  I hung up the phone on him and blocked his number.  I do not run a teaching school, nor do I want to and I certainly am not advertising myself as a teacher.  I just get a lot of calls from parents around here. 

I have friends from many countries since I have traveled to over 35+ countries and lived 4-years or more in 8 countries when I would start a new company somewhere.  I am not saying any one country has won an award for English teaching and communication.  Just based upon my international business experience noted that Thailand is the only country I have lived in that says "drink driving" and it makes zero sense grammatically, legally, or is effective communication of the issue at hand when pulled over. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

If you want to bring up various styles of speaking English, you should recognize that in the most highly developed non-Native English speaking economies all prefer American teachers and often in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, etc., my friends from the US get paid far more than UK teachers and my Canadian friends who teach are often told by the school they are from America on Parent-Teacher nights.

The most highly developed countries have their own english teachers who probably out perform most native english teachers in foreign countries. For example me personally, i never had a native english teacher and i've never lived in a native english speaking country, but i did still never come across a Thai who speaks better english than me. When looking only at Germany i wouldn't call the schooling system there good, but when looking at a global scale it seems to be quite good.

That the school says the Canadian guy is from America (USA?) simply has to do with the fact that most parents probably just don't know that half of Canada is native english speaking. I doubt a considerable amount of Thais even knows that there is a difference between British and American English.

20 hours ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Ummm, nope.  In the U.S., Canada, and last I remember, Mexico, your are labeled as "Drunk" when you exceed the limit.  A country such as Japan, where the limit is ZERO (0.0), then I would accept the term "drink and drive".  No such correct grammar as, "Whoops, I was drink driving".  At least not with all the schooling I went through, and not on any Medical Journals I have read researching the topic, but then again, I don't get out much ... ?

In the UK a police officer can give 'expert opinion' to a court as to whether a person is drunk, in the case of 'Drunk and Incapable' or 'Drunk and Disorderly' the expertly observed elements of which can not be used in any case related to the use of a vehicle whilst intoxicated in order to prove the offence. Those observed elements can be used as a reason to ask for a breath/alcohol and/or blood test but can certainly be used in the event of a refusal of either. So, although a police officer can say a person is drunk and he can be convicted of being so it is a different matter when a person is driving. You do not have to be drunk to be convicted of a drink driving offence and that is the difference.

For those that do have a yellow book, a question.....

Did your passport translation need to be stamped by your home country's embassy?

Muang Buriram district office are asking for this but at least 5 other districts, that I know of, are not.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Did your passport translation need to be stamped by your home country's embassy?

Muang Buriram district office are asking for this but at least 5 other districts, that I know of, are not.

Not required in Udon Thani...just show the original, give them copies with my signature in blue ink.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, puchooay said:

I never had to show a passport translation. The yellow book was adequate. For a passport translation to be accepted in Thailand it has to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs I believe.

I had to get a passport translation for the yellow tabian ban, yes...I think that is standard.

But it did not have to be certified by my Embassy.

The ampur recommended a local translation service to me for which I was grateful as it avoided need to go to Bangkok for an official MoFA translation. But some people have had to get that.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I did not need any translations done, nor any need for a trip to an Embassy at all nor any requests for such in 2006 when I applied in Khaen Dong district of Buriram for a yellow house book. In 2008 I received a new house book in a different district and no translations or fee requested. However I know certain Buriram district offices demand certain documents be translated and/or stamped. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, puchooay said:

Not in Nong Khai...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, puchooay said:

Mine did not require stamp by home embassy.  I used lady to translate have used several times.  Told her what I was doing and she took care of it.  It may have had MFA stamp, I don't recall.  But she took care of the translation and all certifications.  Piece of cake.

Yes, it does. Passport copy must be stamped true document by the consulate. If not, the MFA in BKK can't stamp the translation legal. It seems to be a rather recent requirement and came up just a few years ago. Same thing with marriage. Bangrak, BKK required the passport copy stamped true by the consulate in 2017. No translation needed. Kinda makes sense.

• 2 months later...

Years ago my embassy made a photocopy of my passport and put their seal on it and an officer blessed it.  Today, my feeble antique brain can't even remember what I needed it for. Maybe I was doing something at the MFA.

I needed a translation of my passport for my yellow book/pink ID.  I did not need to have it blessed by the embassy. This was in Buriram province, but not A. Muang.

I've used it once so far. I opened a bank account. I wish I had tried to use it instead of my passport for my DL. My name would have been in both Thai and English. Also, my passport expires before my DL; but my pink ID has no expiry. 

23 hours ago, gunghang said:

Years ago my embassy made a photocopy of my passport and put their seal on it and an officer blessed it.  Today, my feeble antique brain can't even remember what I needed it for. Maybe I was doing something at the MFA.

I needed a translation of my passport for my yellow book/pink ID.  I did not need to have it blessed by the embassy. This was in Buriram province, but not A. Muang.

I've used it once so far. I opened a bank account. I wish I had tried to use it instead of my passport for my DL. My name would have been in both Thai and English. Also, my passport expires before my DL; but my pink ID has no expiry. 

Even using your ID card, you may not be able to get your name printed in Thai on your drivers licence. Here in Ubon Ratchathani my first 5-year drivers licence issued in 2010, had my ID card number printed in both the Thai and English sections and my name printed in Thai in the Thai section and in English in the English section. 

When I renewed the drivers licence in 2015, they refused to use my Thai ID card number (I have prermanent residence) and insisted that my Passport number be used in both sections. I pointed out to the police officer doing this, that my passport was going to expire in 6 months time, whereas my ID was for life. I said that last time my ID card number was used and not my passport. She said all foreigners must use their passport and to stop telling her how do her job!

I received the new driver's licence and on my way home, the police officer rang me and asked for me to return as they had made a mistake. Upon my return, I found that the "mistake" was that in the Thai section, my name was printed in Thai and not English. It must be in English. Foreigners can not have their name in Thai in the Thai section. 

But this was in Ubon Ratchathani. Buriram and other provinces may be different.

Next year when I renew my licence for another 5 years, I wonder what "changes" will be made this time. 

6 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

But this was in Ubon Ratchathani. Buriram and other provinces may be different.

Next year when I renew my licence for another 5 years, I wonder what "changes" will be made this time. 

Hopefully they have got briefed the real rules in between the years and you can proceed the normal way with TB and ID number. As things are usually done.

BTW, in another "problem office" at Pattaya Banglamung DLT, people have also reported that TB and ID are not accepted for DLs. I just recently changed my vehicle's ownership book in my Thai name and 13 digit number there. No problem, the officers were polite enough but the one who helps to fill out forms tried to tell everyone that it is not allowed. I told her to call BKK where I had just received specific instructions, also in writing. But she refused to admit being in wrong and was quite rude actually. It's good she holds no real position there and acts only as the translator in english I guess. 

Archived