BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patriot

Thai IDs for Foreigners and their beneifts

I’m getting the reverse translated by Kroo Ooh as my Thai reading doesn’t stretch that far! I’ll post when I pick up on Friday. 

On 6/5/2018 at 10:06 AM, Hans Rayong said:

Province - not Amphur (read the backside of the card).

I don't know what your card says, but mine says "Amphur". But it's valide outside the Amphur if I also bring the Alien Book.

But "Amphur" or "Province" doesn't matter when it comes to the main point of my comment.

I have had a pink card for two years and this year something has changed in the way I can use it.  I have acquired a benefit I did not have before in using the card. My wife is a government employee and so I am eligible for government healthcare. Prior to this year I had to register at individual hospitals just in case I might require treatment. Each hospital issued it's own card. It seems that now the data-base is centralised and I can now use the pink ID card instead and do not have to register at each individual hospital. I realise that the healthcare issue will not affect most people holding a pink card but it does show that the ways in which the pink ID card is accepted are changing. That coupled with the inconsistency of most things here in Thailand means that what is accepted in one place may not be accepted in another. In other words you really do not know until you try. 

13 hours ago, Naroge said:

I don't know what your card says, but mine says "Amphur". But it's valide outside the Amphur if I also bring the Alien Book.

But "Amphur" or "Province" doesn't matter when it comes to the main point of my comment.

I understand, that you are wrong doesn't matter...

I rest my case Mr Expert. 

1 hour ago, Hans Rayong said:

I understand, that you are wrong doesn't matter...

I rest my case Mr Expert. 

You certainly can not rest your case Hans Rayong but I am beginning to suspect the ID card you have is completely different to what myself and others have.

On the back of my card there is absolutely NO mention of amphur or province. None whatsoever. What it does say in the 3rd point on the back of the card, is that this ID card is to be used in the area where it was issued. (When I moved to a new house in a different area, I returned my first card and got a new card for the new area).

However, under point 3 there is an over-riding statement which states very clearly that I can use this card throughout Thailand if I have permission to enter and reside in Thailand as an alien. This I have as a PR. It therefore over-rights the 3rd point on the back of the card.

2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

You certainly can not rest your case Hans Rayong but I am beginning to suspect the ID card you have is completely different to what myself and others have.

On the back of my card there is absolutely NO mention of amphur or province. None whatsoever. What it does say in the 3rd point on the back of the card, is that this ID card is to be used in the area where it was issued. (When I moved to a new house in a different area, I returned my first card and got a new card for the new area).

However, under point 3 there is an over-riding statement which states very clearly that I can use this card throughout Thailand if I have permission to enter and reside in Thailand as an alien. This I have as a PR. It therefore over-rights the 3rd point on the back of the card.

Your explanation is detailed and same writing as on my card (I just tried to write a shorter explanation). Thank you for your clarification.

New rules at Bangkokbank. After multiple calls to branches as well as head office today, Bangkokbank will no longer accept pink ID card to do banking. No surprise that about half the staff at the bank didn’t know that. I thought it was my branch making things up as I have used it extensively over the last year while building our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Naroge said:

Your explanation is detailed and same writing as on my card (I just tried to write a shorter explanation). Thank you for your clarification.

Apologize. I meant us 99.99% who do not have a PR.

Because it was so painless to acquire, just wondered what benefits others had experienced. 
There again I didn’t think it’d be too long before a keyboard warrior? tucked away on deepest Isaan, would come out with exactly the same post as your good self
Could be in UK for all you know [emoji23]

Sent from my X9079 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/7/2018 at 4:46 PM, DepDavid said:

New rules at Bangkokbank. After multiple calls to branches as well as head office today, Bangkokbank will no longer accept pink ID card to do banking. No surprise that about half the staff at the bank didn’t know that. I thought it was my branch making things up as I have used it extensively over the last year while building our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have a BKK bank account that I opened with Pink ID, account name in Thai. My local branch will only accept the pink ID (name in Thai) to operate that account, as they say passport name is in English and doesn't match the account name. The same branch wont let me use Pink ID to operate an English name account.

I haven't used it for a couple of months, so will be interested to see if the new rules are in use. I imagine that will mean any westerners with a "name in Thai" account (opened with Pink ID) will have to shut them down.

Only use mine when picking up a parcel from post office and then one time they asked for my wife’s ID total waste of time.

never carry my passport i have photo copies on my phone, i have shown that in the past, that remind me i just put a new sim card in, i will do that now lol

Last week I used the Pink card for checking-in, pre-security boarding pass check, and boarding pass check at the gate at Ubon Ratchathani and Suvarnaphum airports with Thai Samile .. no issue. Also used it for checking into Dynasty Inn, again, no issue. It may be a different story with the larger, chain hotels

The limitations on the reverse are ambiguous to say the least.

1/ This is not an Identification Card.

2/ Carry this card at all times in order to be checked.

3/ The named on this card is not allowed to leave the card's address area, except when having an alien ID document or having received written permission.

re #3: Does this mean that technically we SHOULD carry our passport at all time?

also re #3: what is the card's address area?? tambon, amphur, Jangwat, Country????

38 minutes ago, Patriot said:

The limitations on the reverse are ambiguous to say the least.

1/ This is not an Identification Card.

2/ Carry this card at all times in order to be checked.

3/ The named on this card is not allowed to leave the card's address area, except when having an alien ID document or having received written permission.

re #3: Does this mean that technically we SHOULD carry our passport at all time?

also re #3: what is the card's address area?? tambon, amphur, Jangwat, Country????

I covered this in an earlier post. When I received my Pink ID, I specifically asked about statement 3, the big boss came and explained that its a lost in translation thing, the statement means "not transferable", the person named on the card cannot move permanently to another area and keep using this card. If the person moves they get a new card from the new location. 

The big boss thought it was hilarious that it could be interpreted as meaning cannot leave or travel.

The big boss also explained something about a different interpretation if you are a Burmese condo builder as they do have some travel restrictions. At he end of the conversation the boss asked if I was a Burmese builder, I said no, she said mai pen rai, you can travel.

I have lived here for 5 years and never been asked for passport, let alone if pink ID would be acceptable. if its an immigration check I imagine they would want PP to check visa.