Thai words of Chinese origin

EricTh

you are right about that,

i knew chinese has influenced thai ever since

they favored thais over kublai khan, but i didnt know what words had migrated.

i almost get the impression thailand didnt have chairs and tables

at the time chinese arrived

8 hours ago, poanoi said:

you are right about that,

i knew chinese has influenced thai ever since

they favored thais over kublai khan, but i didnt know what words had migrated.

i almost get the impression thailand didnt have chairs and tables

at the time chinese arrived

They probably sit and eat on the wooden floor, there are still many rural area in South East Asia who does this.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke mandarin long before i went to Thailand, and I credit that with making learning Thai a lot easier. Thai was harder for me than mandarin, but that was probably a function of age.

But when you listen to many words you can hear the root.

Lao, is to my ears at least is tonally even closer

Some of them aren't surprising... Chinese congee is called by its Chinese name?  The word for "vegetarian"-- a type of vegetarian that I understand to have Chinese religious origins-- is the Chinese word?

(Besides, Thai has a LOT of loanwords.  The ones I always had the most trouble reading in my Thai lessons?  English.  English words written in Thai script/spoken with Thai accent  {Probably just because they're unexpected so my brain didn't connect}.  My poor teacher probably thought... well, who knows what, that I didn't recognize my own native language.  If she had a hundred baht for every time I'd stop reading/translating, look at her quizzically, she'd repeat the word, I'd still give a blank look, she'd repeat it with a more Western accent, and the light would go on... well, she'd be instant hi-so.)

Archived