Largest train station in Southeast Asia to open in Bangkok

rooster59

Largest train station in Southeast Asia to open in Bangkok

Bang Sue Central Station-2.jpg

A new train station in Bangkok, which when it opens will be the largest in Southeast Asia, is set to transform rail travel in Thailand.

Construction of Bang Sue Central Station is now more than 50 percent complete and is on schedule to open in 2020.

The station, which is located near Bang Sue intersection on Thoet Damri road, will become the hub for Thailand’s high speed rail links, from Bangkok to Nong Khai and Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

It will also be used for the proposed Eastern Economic Corridor high-speed rail line which will link three airports - Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao in Rayong, and which promises travel from Pattaya to Bangkok in less than one hour.

Bang Sue Central Station.jpg

As well accommodating the high speed trains it will also be used for the new electric trains and the older diesel trains used in Thailand, and help to connect the current Airport Rail Link and numerous MRT lines.

The new station will eventually replace the Hua Lamphong station, which has been Bangkok’s primary train station since it opened in 1916.

NNT reports the Bang Sue Central Station will cover more than 240,000 square meters.

However, a recent video by China’s Xinhua news agency put that figure over 300,000 square meters, which would make Bang Sue Central train station the largest in Southeast Asia.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-02

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Drove past this last week. It really is huge.

Wonder what they will do with Hualampong .......... a real landmark. Be a shame to see it go to seed or close.

I'm sure it was stated that it will become a railway museum. Personally I thought it was already...

51 minutes ago, Denim said:

Wonder what they will do with Hualampong .......... a real landmark. Be a shame to see it go to seed or close.

Yes, i also drove past a few times and it is really huge. I am certain that Hua Lamphong will be quietly demolished over time (leaving a small part as some relic to keep the activists quiet) and the land leased out to influential developers. These plans would have been made first  and the decision to build a new station taken later. I do not recall the public being informed of this mega project until a few days ago.

55 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

next they will be getting the trains

and then maybe the track

Thais seem to love doing things backwards.

They have set the journey prices already so we can reasonably expect that tickets for the HS trains have already been printed and will go on sale when the new terminal opens. That will avoid the rush when the HS trains start operating around 2050.

38 minutes ago, connda said:

Just guessing, but I imagine it has a parking lot the size of a postage stamp?

Seems anywhere there's barely ample parking here it's not long before it's chipped away at for food and retail structures.

2 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

next they will be getting the trains

and then maybe the track

and then the train drivers high on yaba, or lao khao, or those who insist that the brakes failed...

It is Chinese investment, finally China will take over for unpaid dept like in other countries who lost their properties to China.

Recent one is Malaysia, now spending 80% of its tax revenue is for paying loans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douglasbulloch/2018/05/31/while-china-is-facing-its-own-debt-crisis-it-is-also-exacerbating-others/#4ddf2ddf3fc3

A post containing offensive miss spellings of Thailand's locations has been removed. 

Another post containing a disallowed reference to the PM has been removed, keep it up and a warning will be headed your way. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

If the rest of Bangkok is anything to go by, it’ll be a shopping mall a week after it closes. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Replace with a ... shopping mall!

Well, if the access is well planned like with, say, Impact or Don Meuaiong airport ....

Impact; Thaifex fair took Wednesday me 185 minutes from lower Sukhumvit by BTS to Chatuchak and then by taxi). Back in the evening 210 minutes.
Thursday MRT via Tai Poon to the National Civic Centre; from there a free shuttle bus = 165 minutes and back in the evening (left 18h30 only) 40 minutes to Nana BTS. 

Get the public transport grid working professionally and conveniently; the train station serves one purpose only and it is not serving the public! 

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Impact; Thaifex fair took Wednesday me 185 minutes from lower Sukhumvit by BTS to Chatuchak and then by taxi). Back in the evening 210 minutes.

Impact is a dead loss. No public transport goes anywhere near it.  Car parking is a nightmare, et al.

3 hours ago, Denim said:

You can't save everything as a museum. Who in the World would be interested in seeing that old utilitarian building?

1 hour ago, connda said:

Just guessing, but I imagine it has a parking lot the size of a postage stamp?

I imagine that as it’s linked to all the public transport then they’ll be no need to drive there except for pick and and drop off. Therefore, no need for parking. 

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Many countries would treat such a heritage building with respect. Some of the space might be used as an up-market indoor market (ie no fish and veg), and the rest of the land - not the building itself - could be used for a much-needed five star hotel and luxury goods complex. Bangkok needs a few more of those ??☹️

3 hours ago, Denim said:

• Convert it into a museum maybe?

Any infrastructure project of this magnitude has to be a step in the right direction. Bangkok already has outstanding public transportation. The rest of the nation badly needs this. The current state of the trains is atrocious. I do see great progress being made on the Bangkok - Korat line. Good. Hope this progress continues long into the future. 

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

That will avoid the rush when the HS trains start operating around 2050.

Which will be a tad quicker than the American HS train that has just gone bankrupt... (Cal) or the British one that will go about an amazing  101 miles & is still being talked about after 19 years. (not one sod of toil turned yet......but hey...it wont be long)

Yes Thailand is putting a lot into infrastructure.....

They are building all the top levels.

I wonder if the infrastructure has been put in place yet ? Or will they wait as they usually do and dig up all the streets to put in drainage Etc AFTER the place has opened.

Have a new station, has anybody given any thought to rolling stock and tracks

Archived