Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

It would seem as if the tax increases are now fully biting on even the wines with added fruit juice, albeit after a bit of an hiatus.

If you work it out, this new price equates to around 250 baht for normal 750 mL bottle of the stuff, so in relative terms is not that expensive. But of course it is expensive if you are paying for a mixture of wine and fruit juice!

I've given up trying to compare the price of wine here with the prices back in Australia and New Zealand, because it's a thankless task, and depressing at that!!!

Luckily I'm still sourcing Australian wines here at around 369 baht a bottle (The Lyrup) although one has to look at the smaller outlets for this and others like it.

• Like 2

There are now newish cheap end brands that has fully imported no-fruit juice (non-orange tax lable) wines from Australia and France that works out at sub 300 baht per bottle, some even have big 2 litre size bottle too, works out cheaper than the likes of Mont Claire now

Looks like the wines with fruitjuice loopholes is closed for good

Still wondering if Thai authorities will consider wine with added 'grape juice' as one of the fruit wine category ?

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

It was yesterday.

That mean it is old stock or do you think different shops have different price for mont clair?

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

There are now newish cheap end brands that has fully imported no-fruit juice (non-orange tax lable)

Color of the tax label has nothing to do with fruit juice added. Import is blue. Those cheap bottles have also fruit juice added and are still old stock price. Wait until new stock arrives

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Old stock?

I honestly do not know, I never asked and he didn't tell me the history of the box, suffice to say it tastes as good as Mont Clair is going to taste. But on my next visit I will ask him.

7 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I've just checked the date on my 5 litre MC Red which I bought for 1005 Baht on Buddha Day/Tuesday - MFD 04-09-17

MFD 08-08-17. My offie is twixt Sattahip and Bangsare.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Wooohooo - We are safe from each other!!!

But it goes to show there are places out there with "old stock" and cheap prices.... .....

Old stock will run out quickly.