Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

7 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

But I digest.

We met up on a recent border run and I had mixed plum wine with the cheapest wine at the time ( NADIN ) and he said " Bugger me that is good , what wine is it ? ".

But I digest.

Probably only just with that mix!!!!

1 hour ago, OmegaRacer said:

I don't bother with wine in cartons. I rather drink 1 nice bottle worth 1000Baht than 5 liters of boxed wine for the same price.
In my experience you start to get nice wine when buying bottles around 800Baht up. 

There are also nice Thai wines: PB Valley (the medium and expensive ones) and Village Farm in Wang Nam Kiaw have some very tasty ones. They got the help from French professionals who helped them starting up and who regularly come to oversee the quality.

I have tasted a few Thai wines, but have never been impressed with them and even visited Monsoon Valley vineyard and did a little bit of a winetasting there, and again I was not impressed. This despite their top Shiraz supposedly having won a medal somewhere, but could not for the life of me see why?

I also remember tasting another Thai wine (PB?) which was just under the thousand baht mark and supposedly very good, but again I could not see the value in it.

A friend bought a bottle of the "Black Knight" red wine to dinner a few weeks back and although it was lacking body and much in the way of fruit, a couple of folks thought it was just okay??

As I mentioned previously, I am still managing to find some Aussie wines at good prices, and I will keep buying them for as long as I can.

The Thai are now drinking hard stuff: 40%++ instead of softer beer and wine.  This policy of government heavy tax measured in alcohol content is only encouraging alcoholism and early death.  Less sales will simply bring less taxes...  Now all are drinking whisky by the bottles.  The law needs changing, who can afford a THB 2000 steak with a THB 1000 wine glass?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

New  boxes of Montclair are now 3 liters for B995. It is the desire to keep Thais from eating or drinking anything imported. They protect the foreign reserves. With 420% import tax on rot gut you are not getting much value. Last time I was there Tachilek in Burma dos not have any box wines.

There is a shop there that does .Around B490 for 4 lt if i remember correctly.That was 2 months ago .

Edited by anto

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

While you are in Lotus JJ look for Chinese plum wine. A year ago it was 180 now 220B , it is very sweet but if mixed with the cheapest red plonk say, 2 parts plonk - 1 part chinese you get a very acceptable drink.

My litre bottle of Jameson from over t'border Maesai ( 500B ) is going fast so tomorrow over we go again . Wonder if they have Southern Comfort , did 2 years ago @ 350B.

If you like their plum wine then in those cold winter months up North take a look at the shelf where seesip degree sits and you shall see a red bottle with a red label with chinese characters on it. Heat that up in a saucepan, it's not quite gluhwein or Gloggy, but near enough to warm your cockles..

I was served it with a raw clove of garlic in a tin cup from a tin kettle in a small village way up North of Shenyang ....Bloody loved it!!

Perhaps I shall add it to a jug of Mont Clair and see what happens...

I used to complain about the high price of bad wine here.

Then they raised price by another 30% or more.

It worked!

I don't complain anymore.

Judging by the local Makro display where the same 2 boxes are missing for 3 weeks now. I think a lot of others are also not complaining.

I fully expect the lack of sales and profits will induce the usual response...another price hike.

I wonder what happens to all that wine when it's shelf life ends.

Edited by Psychic
  • Like 1

I imagine that there is someone “ up there” in the hierarchy of this lovely country who thinks native. Wine is not important , tax it big time. They would have no idea of the number of people who would not touch Thailand for holidays as they are quality wine drinkers in their own countries. I personally know of family members who refuse to include Thailand on their list because of the exorbitant price of an ordinary bottle of plonk. I am Irish, not a cheap country to live in or visit,  but the price of a bottle of Australian wine, not particularly remarkable, such as Jacobs Creek, is twice the price in Thailand than Ireland, and I shudder to think how cheap it is in Australia. But this particular penny has never dropped. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

I imagine that there is someone “ up there” in the hierarchy of this lovely country who thinks native. Wine is not important , tax it big time. They would have no idea of the number of people who would not touch Thailand for holidays as they are quality wine drinkers in their own countries. I personally know of family members who refuse to include Thailand on their list because of the exorbitant price of an ordinary bottle of plonk. I am Irish, not a cheap country to live in or visit,  but the price of a bottle of Australian wine, not particularly remarkable, such as Jacobs Creek, is twice the price in Thailand than Ireland, and I shudder to think how cheap it is in Australia. But this particular penny has never dropped. 

The average Jacobs Creek in Oz is around A$9 or 230 baht a bottle. It sells in a 7/11 here for around 700 baht or A$28.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

In big C, Makro and Fooland there is a wine called Laughing Bird...

Appeared 2 months ago.. 419 bahts for a 1.5 L glass bottle..

Not bad..  Now gone to 469

Have a nice day

3 minutes ago, domdom said:

Hello

In big C, Makro and Fooland there is a wine called Laughing Bird...

Appeared 2 months ago.. 419 bahts for a 1.5 L glass bottle..

Not bad..  Now gone to 469

Have a nice day

Tried it, but found it lacking body, especially after Castle Creek.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and tax increases.

Have a look at the header, I see it mentions wine, not baked beans. In fact every response except yours is only talking wine.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2018 at 3:10 PM, vogie said:

I bought 5 litres of Mont Clair for a tad over 1000 baht, there are nearly 7 bottles in a 5 litre box, which would work out at about 150 baht a bottle. When I look at it that way, I find it quite drinkable.

Wow, where did you get that? It's over B1,100 for 3 litres of Mont Clair in Makro.

Prices have doubled since I was here a few months ago, crazy. Are they really trying to encourage tourists to come here? 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, xylophone said:

Don't want to have to disagree with you Lacessit, but I'm going to have to on this point!

Most wines are shipped these days in air-conditioned containers, with some of the better wines exported in the belly of an aeroplane and given top treatment. 

I have imported wines from France to NZ on many occasions and the wine is perfect, as it has to be, otherwise the reputation of the producer and the country suffers.

There is possibly one exception and that could well be with the cask/box wines in as much as nobody knows for quite how long they could sit on a dock or similar, whereas the better wines and even those shipped by reputable companies usually get preferential treatment to ensure that they are not sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere!

If a producer and shipper/freight forwarder know their stuff, wine should not suffer when travelling distance, not more so than a few days rest wouldn't cure (the purists suggest that wine "bruises" or words to that effect when subjected to travel – – unproven as yet).

You may be right. However, I'd suggest that treatment is reserved for the top-end stuff retailing for 2000 - 3000 baht a bottle. Can't see it happening with stuff that's 399 baht.

Whites are probably OK. The red colour you see in the shiraz's, Cab Sauv's etc. is not a soluble compound - it's a colloid. They get upset easily.

I have read that an unopened box of wine has a shelf life of only one year. Can anybody verify this???

My old stock Mont Clair MFD is Sept '17 so I'm thinking of buying a few in..At 1005 a box it is surely worth it financially but will I be able to resist temptation..??

Also if it is only one year, there will be quite a large wine lake in Thailand Songkran next year!!

On 6/2/2018 at 4:51 PM, vogie said:

It was yesterday.

Then you were very lucky.  Where did you buy it?  5 litre boxes seem to have disappeared from the shelves to be replace by 3 litre ones at about the same price where I live.