Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

2 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Then you were very lucky.  Where did you buy it?  5 litre boxes seem to have disappeared from the shelves to be replace by 3 litre ones at about the same price where I live.

No I wasn't very lucky, if you read the replies from other members there are still old stock out there, mainly in the local off licences. Have you looked in your local offies. Probably they might be glad to get rid of it as according to the net, it only has a shelf life of 6 - 8 months, better get supping. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

No I wasn't very lucky, if you read the replies from other members there are still old stock out there, mainly in the local off licences. Have you looked in your local offies. Probably they might be glad to get rid of it as according to the net, it only has a shelf life of 6 - 8 months, better get supping. 

Yes, I've looked everywhere, seems I've missed the boat, but no problem, I've slowly been weening myself off my love of red wine, I simply refuse to pay exorbitant prices for sh*te red wine and even more exorbitant prices for good red wine.

• Like 1

Hello,
If, there is an expiry date on cubis and bags.
You have to look on the cardboard.
A wine cubi or bag-in-box keep its qualities for 6 to 8 months.
But when the container is open, it must be drunk within 4 to 5 weeks.
There, I trust you.  :burp:
White, rosé, red wine must be kept at less than 25 °.
If you have a wine cabinet, it's perfect, otherwise, all in the fridge.

• Like 1

Was at one of the Rimping supermarkets recently    they had a lot of 5 litre boxes of both South African and Australian wine all under 1000 baht  guess old stock        ,but when I  looked closer at the boxes  most of them looked blown  like both sides of box  curved as if full of air  ,would it still be drinkable or is that a sign its soured ????

Edited by ajnamoon
other remarks

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The red colour you see in the shiraz's, Cab Sauv's etc. is not a soluble compound - it's a colloid. They get upset easily.

Well I will agree that some of it could be colloidal and could be a result of lack of filtration or fining by the producer, but the other compounds in red wine give it its colour, such as tannins, polyphenols, flavanols, anthocyanins, catechins, proanthocyanins etc, not forgetting resveratrol of course, and these are stable and not affected by travel, but by age in many wines.

As for getting upset...……..that's me after keeping a special wine for years only to find it is corked on opening!!!!

I would suggest that even the cheaper wines are not subjected to excess heat etc, otherwise the shipper and producer lose out. And have only had one wine like that in my 11 years of drinking them here (no, not an Aussie wine).

48 minutes ago, ajnamoon said:

Was at one of the Rimping supermarkets recently    they had a lot of 5 litre boxes of both South African and Australian wine all under 1000 baht  guess old stock        ,but when I  looked closer at the boxes  most of them looked blown  like both sides of box  curved as if full of air  ,would it still be drinkable or is that a sign its soured ????

Saw one like this and the contents were disgusting!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

otherwise, all in the fridge.

I realize that I am the stupidest person on the forum and that none of you would ever do this but just in case you have imbecilic visitors or in-laws from the planet Zarg here is a warning......

If you take the bag out of the box to put in the fridge do not try to put it above whole prawns by sliding it in and ripping the guts out of the bag from the sharp spiky bits......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I also noticed Cedar Creek 4.5 litre at Tesco Lotus is less than 1,000 Baht so when my "secret" place runs out , that is where I will be heading..(I hope Vogie doesn't use the same offie and run the stock down!!!!)

Tesco On Nut now stocks ZERO boxed wines. NONE of any color, tho only drink red. And no longer stocks 2 ltr bottles of Castle Creek. :post-4641-1156693976:

7 hours ago, connda said:

What is 'silly' is that foreign countries don't reciprocate and force equally harsh tariffs on Thai imports into their own countries.  Thailand gets away with excessive tariffs because there is no downside to doing so. 

Spot on !  The UK imports around 15 thousand tons of rice P/A  from Thailand along with many other commodities and products at low tariffs.  Does anyone here know Boris !

On 6/2/2018 at 2:10 PM, vogie said:

I bought 5 litres of Mont Clair for a tad over 1000 baht, there are nearly 7 bottles in a 5 litre box, which would work out at about 150 baht a bottle. When I look at it that way, I find it quite drinkable.

Those days are coming to an end. This is old stock and once it's gone there will be no more.

In the future when they restock it will be about the same price for a 3 liter box.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jingthing said:

If you're on a budget, wine in Thailand is just out.

I would list that on the CON sides of living in Thailand.

Not on budget...just despise getting fleeced. 

Just another brick in the HUGE wall of CONS Thailand has building for a decade now. :bah:

Typically Thailand!

30 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I realize that I am the stupidest person on the forum and that none of you would ever do this but just in case you have imbecilic visitors or in-laws from the planet Zarg here is a warning......

If you take the bag out of the box to put in the fridge do not try to put it above whole prawns by sliding it in and ripping the guts out of the bag from the sharp spiky bits......

Oh gawd JJ ,  Full bodied red with just a hint of prawn ! I think I would rather have mulled Chang.

• Like 1

There are bargains* out there if you know where to look. There's life beyond Villa and Big C and there's certainly a lot better than fruit-infused wine boxes for a little bit more.

I have more of a gripe with the price of Thai-produced craft beers, exported for bottling then re-imported with large tariffs. An even more blatant example of the power of the Thai alcohol oligopolies. 

*The term bargain still entails a price much higher than you'd pay in the West but these are very drinkable wines where you might get change from a 500 baht note.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have tasted a few Thai wines, but have never been impressed with them and even visited Monsoon Valley vineyard and did a little bit of a winetasting there, and again I was not impressed. This despite their top Shiraz supposedly having won a medal somewhere, but could not for the life of me see why?

I also remember tasting another Thai wine (PB?) which was just under the thousand baht mark and supposedly very good, but again I could not see the value in it.

A friend bought a bottle of the "Black Knight" red wine to dinner a few weeks back and although it was lacking body and much in the way of fruit, a couple of folks thought it was just okay??

As I mentioned previously, I am still managing to find some Aussie wines at good prices, and I will keep buying them for as long as I can.

I tried a bottle of Cab. Sauv. from the ' Black Knight ' mob a few years ago and probably the best home grown wine but it was a silly price.

Just now, toofarnorth said:

Oh gawd JJ ,  Full bodied red with just a hint of prawn ! I think I would rather have mulled Chang.

Imagine - if you dare! - a Full bodied red man sticking his head into the ripped bag trying to drink as much as he can - OBVIOUSLY just to keep the floor clean that is....

46 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well I will agree that some of it could be colloidal and could be a result of lack of filtration or fining by the producer, but the other compounds in red wine give it its colour, such as tannins, polyphenols, flavanols, anthocyanins, catechins, proanthocyanins etc, not forgetting resveratrol of course, and these are stable and not affected by travel, but by age in many wines.

Now you're showing off. That's OK, I sometimes do that too. I worked in a wine laboratory for a year, so I do understand the terms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joloit said:

We, the consumers, have it in our own hands to stop this greedy act. Stop buying wine in Thailand!! Problem should solved soon!!

Surely u don't believe a boycott would work here! That would involve reason and logic. 2 qualities sorely lacking. If anything, they would just raise the prices again hoping to make more per sale...even tho there are no sales! 

Typically Thailand! :crazy:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Imagine - if you dare! - a Full bodied red man sticking his head into the ripped bag trying to drink as much as he can - OBVIOUSLY just to keep the floor clean that is....

You know how you have to pop the panel on boxes of wine JJ to get to the tap ?

A chap I know who has never bothered with wine since  got his Thai Wife to open it . She used scissors . I think he drank that in 2 days.

All these wonderful comments today has inspired me to get family members to bring out a bottle of Denbies Rose Hill Rose ( the last Rose should rhyme with Jose ).  Biggest vineyard in England.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Those days are coming to an end. This is old stock and once it's gone there will be no more.

In the future when they restock it will be about the same price for a 3 liter box.

Its come. 3 liter box of Mont Clare now 1175 in Big C Pattaya

• Like 1

Good thing you can still go out and eat dinner for two, with two glasses of good wine each, at a fancy restaurant for less than 3 000,- baht. Somtimes more, but the price in restaurants for wine is often the same as in the shops. Even if you brake it down to glass prices and not a bottle. 

I guess we just have to suck it up, or move to France ?

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

You know how you have to pop the panel on boxes of wine JJ to get to the tap ?

A chap I know who has never bothered with wine since  got his Thai Wife to open it . She used scissors . I think he drank that in 2 days.

All these wonderful comments today has inspired me to get family members to bring out a bottle of Denbies Rose Hill Rose ( the last Rose should rhyme with Jose ).  Biggest vineyard in England.

OMG!!! What amateurs!!

Turn it upside down, gently press with two fingers and it opens easily.The bag fits in a motorcy perfectly!!

I am of course refering to a box of Mont Clair not your wife...

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Good thing you can still go out and eat dinner for two, with two glasses of good wine each, at a fancy restaurant for less than 3 000,- baht. Somtimes more, but the price in restaurants for wine is often the same as in the shops. Even if you brake it down to glass prices and not a bottle. 

I have yet to visit my favourite eating places to see what effect it has had on the prices of wine ... Perhaps because 2 of them have closed down....

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The increase in price will have to be passed on to customers, the restaurant isn't going to absorb it.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The increase in price will have to be passed on to customers, the restaurant isn't going to absorb it.

We will see, and now there is "local quality wine" for a cheep price to ?

I think I pass, and will enjoy my wine when I go abroad, if its to bad. Last time in Bangkok I paid 460,- for a glass of ok Chablis at one the better Argentinian restaurants. 

TESCO Roi Et had the same very acceptable World Wines selection from Australia, 375 baht for 75 cl. That's about the same price its been for 5 years. Sure its expensive for what it is, it'd be half the price in California where I am from, but being a Californian is about like being an Italian, you have to have your wine. The Merlot is very good and Chardonnay is as good as you can ask for for 375. No fruit juice that is mentioned on the label and doesn't taste like it either.

• Like 2