Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

I saw some Russians in a top restaurant in Auckland order a bottle of Ch Margaux and mix it with Coke (in the glass)......pay $8000+ for a bottle of wine and mix it with Coke???

My god they know how to make people suffer!

• Haha 1

Just now, cyril sneer said:

are these any nicer than mont clair?

IMG_1359 (2).JPG

IMG_1358 (2).JPG

I did try the Laughing Bird wine once a while ago, and to be honest it wasn't all that bad, and in my opinion better than Montclair. 

Whereas Laughing Bird is predominantly made from grapes with some fruit/fruit juice added, I believe that the Lakeville wine is made from varieties of fruit alone.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

are these any nicer than mont clair?

IMG_1359 (2).JPG

IMG_1358 (2).JPG

Lakeside wines are very good for removing rust from chrome surfaces like bumpers or shower fittings.

I have tried them at cleaning the bathroom grout but not as good as the red can stain if not washed away with bleach after. One bottle however will be enough to clean all your bathroom and kitchen taps.

The Laughing Bird is not what it once was but not too bad although last I remember the alcohol content is down from pre tax increase days.

I actually think the Holla wine from Big C is preferable and cheaper although I notice the price is already creeping up a little.

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

Whereas Laughing Bird is predominantly made from grapes with some fruit/fruit juice added

Am I seeing that correctly, that they are still trying to charge 579 baht for it?

Lot of "real" wine options in the 500 baht plus bracket - not necessarily great but ok.

30 minutes ago, topt said:

Am I seeing that correctly, that they are still trying to charge 579 baht for it?

Lot of "real" wine options in the 500 baht plus bracket - not necessarily great but ok.

I think they are 1.5 or 2 ltr bottles, but having said that my go-to Aussie wine is only 440 b a bottle, and it is very good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I think they are 1.5 or 2 ltr bottles, but having said that my go-to Aussie wine is only 440 b a bottle, and it is very good.

Thanks I missed that - looks like 1,5l.

f you are referring to your Hopes End then I agree but unfortunately not seen it in Villa in Pattaya for quite a while. And even then it was at just over 500 baht here.

13 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks I missed that - looks like 1,5l.

f you are referring to your Hopes End then I agree but unfortunately not seen it in Villa in Pattaya for quite a while. And even then it was at just over 500 baht here.

That's a shame topt. We have mentioned this before....that I pay 440b for it; I consider myself lucky I have to say.

But then there is the Wolff Blass Eaglehawk range at 399b a bottle which is very drinkable and goes esp well with pizza and pasta as well as Thai food. 

No need for fruit wine with these prices around!

It's so ridiculous to see the prices that are being charged, even at retail, for what is very cheap and nasty wine in their relative home countries. 

I am missing my regular supply chain from abroad, direct import, mostly by friends, and my cellar is starting to run low. 

Looks like I will be drinking over priced cat urine in the future. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's so ridiculous to see the prices that are being charged, even at retail, for what is very cheap and nasty wine in their relative home countries. 

I am missing my regular supply chain from abroad, direct import, mostly by friends, and my cellar is starting to run low. 

Looks like I will be drinking over priced cat urine in the future. 

Why not just get a cat?

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, xylophone said:

Can you reveal the brand??? Aussie wines are generally pretty good, at least in my unprofessional opinion. Always willing to hear recommendations.

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Can you reveal the brand??? Aussie wines are generally pretty good, at least in my unprofessional opinion. Always willing to hear recommendations.

Laughing Bird is a SE Australian wine made from grapes and fruit/fruit juice.

I am not a fan of this type of wine so cannot recommend it.

A little off topic  but I am confused as to the current situation re' alcohol sales.

Last week a Traveling  sales van  called in and was  happy to sell me a Thai brand scotch whisky-ish and some white spirits equivalent to a cheap  vodka whereas 1 month  ago adamantly  would  not. Many places seem quite happy to sell beer and other common product like Hong Tong.

Yet local Tesco and  7/11 will not !

I do reside in one of the  4 provinces  that pedantically extended the ban when it was lifted elsewhere.

Was that reversed  or  not? I have seen no proclamation either way.

Despite that  my  wonderful wife  produced a bottle of "Y Not" from somewhere.

It is a fruit wine concoction but welcome in the  absence  of anything  at all.

Due to the drought there were no wild grapes to create my own beverages  this year !

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

A little off topic  but I am confused as to the current situation re' alcohol sales.

Last week a Traveling  sales van  called in and was  happy to sell me a Thai brand scotch whisky-ish and some white spirits equivalent to a cheap  vodka whereas 1 month  ago adamantly  would  not. Many places seem quite happy to sell beer and other common product like Hong Tong.

I do reside in one of the  4 provinces  that pedantically extended the ban when it was lifted elsewhere.

Due to the drought there were no wild grapes to create my own beverages  this year !

The alcohol ban has been lifted, at least here in Pattaya.

5 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would be very carefull buying vodka and white spirit if you don't know where it has been diistilled, if the guy or someone else for that matter has distilled it himself, if he has taken the methanol at the start of the process as well as the ethanol which follows as much as 2 oz can kill you or certainly make you go blind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

I would be very carefull buying vodka and white spirit if you don't know where it has been diistilled, if the guy or someone else for that matter has distilled it himself, if he has taken the methanol at the start of the process as well as the ethanol which follows as much as 2 oz can kill you or certainly make you go blind.

Lol. Thanks but the product is from a very large Distillery Company that has product in places such as Tesco.

I have purchased it  many times over the last few years at wholesale cost. The whisky is an equivalent  of  Blend 285 and at 60% of the cost of that is no problem to satisfy most undiscriminating visitors and defy competition to my well guarded  Irish .

• Like 1