Hua Hin is dead

There are many Pattaya threads proclaiming the end of that fine city. I don't know, I only go there on weekends/holidays with wife and the buses are always packed, hotels always full and restaurants and malls bursting with quality tourists.

So, I took a bus to Hua Hin today. The bus barely showed up and when it did literally 4 people boarded it including me and my wife. I don't understand how on earth they made a profit on that ride. When we arrived at market village the place was full of kids, but the restaurants were almost empty. Miyazaki, which is usually full in Pattaya by 6pm was totally empty in Hua Hin. Even everyone's favorite Sizzler didn't fare much better.

The very nice Hotel near the mall also looked a bit deserted despite the low season prices.

The only action I saw was when I turned on the tv and saw Danaboutthailand doing a bit inside Hooters.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will be stopping in Hua Hin (or close by)  towards the end of the month on our return from the South, I have a feeling I will be calling into Father Teds - been told their food is good, so any TV members fancy a meet up ? I'll post again nearer the time as I don' know how long our trip South & back North is going to take . ?

I always think that the big attraction of Hua Hin is that it is quiet. For two pins I would move there.

And I dont understand why people moan about the traffic either. When I'm there the roads always seem much less busy than in Pattaya.

I love Hua Hin off season, and the prices drops 35% on western food, and other local goodies. Greek youghurt high season often sold out, and 265,- baht, now 195,- 

Fresh fish have dropped significant and Mangosteen to 65,- baht kg. Cant get better than that. 

In the condomenium I live I hardly meet people around the swimmingpool, and less traffic. What to say? Sad for not being people left? Hell no ?

20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

We will be stopping in Hua Hin (or close by)  towards the end of the month on our return from the South, I have a feeling I will be calling into Father Teds - been told their food is good, so any TV members fancy a meet up ? I'll post again nearer the time as I don' know how long our trip South & back North is going to take . ?

Father Ted have decent food, and sorry to say not to many restaurants that I can pin out for you, but ther is decent food for decent prices. The good restaurants if often better in the high season also. I had a 2. Experience on the Nr one steak restaurant downtow, no naming, but I did let them know what I thought, and hope they have fixed that the next time I show up. 

What is "death" to one guy may be "quiet and comfortable" to another guy.

When it get's too quiet, Hua-Hin/Cha-Am residents can hop on the ferry and spend a couple of days in Pattaya.
Far easier than taking an 8 hour bus-ride from Nakhon Nowhere to a place that is less "death", when the need arises.

- My clairvoyant Romanian Gipsy predicts, that if the Ferry-Service can be expanded (using truly ocean going vessels instead of modified riverboats, increase passenger volume = lower prices), the Hua-Hin/Cha-Am area cold quickly become a favorite Retirement-Spot for Farangs that like a "quiet and comfortable" environement, knowing that the "neon-lights" are only 2 1/2 hours away.
Cheers.

PS: I could take the OP softly by the hand and take him to places in Thailand that are really "death". Even in low-season, Hua-Hin would appear as as jumping metropolis in comparison.:smile:

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

It will be like that.

The crowds will be Chinese.

Enjoy.

No it want, chineese is like brits, they go same place ?

just 10 min north, we had the beach for our self in High Season! 

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That would drive me crazy in about 3 minutes.

It is not only the crowds of people at Benidorm beach, it is the heat and burning sand that gets fluffed in to the air when somone passing you close, and with that hords, they have no other choice than to walk passed you. I mean who want it to be like that? Im so happy to enjoy the endless beaches in Thailand, and the possibility to get away from such crowds. Peace and quiet is good. Even the Chineese invade, they only go surten places, and do not go by themselves, and surtenly not yet stay on beach. They go on tours, yes, but stay on beaches no, except to take pics. 

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is not only the crowds of people at Benidorm beach, it is the heat and burning sand that gets fluffed in to the air when somone passing you close, and with that hords, they have no other choice than to walk passed you. I mean who want it to be like that? Im so happy to enjoy the endless beaches in Thailand, and the possibility to get away from such crowds. Peace and quiet is good. Even the Chineese invade, they only go surten places, and do not go by themselves, and surtenly not yet stay on beach. They go on tours, yes, but stay on beaches no, except to take pics. 

It is not really a problem for me, as the nearest beach at the seaside is at Bang Saen, about 450 km away. The nearest national park is at Mae Wong in Khampaeng Phet province and is the other side of the back garden fence, though the proper entrance is about 2 km away.

Honestly we are not worried about HH calm and quiet... we are happy about this.

Lot of people they don't like to go eating in that industrial restaurants like Sizzler, they prefer to cook at home, cheaper, safer and also a lot better ?

It's true, no one really understand how that shopping malls they can survive... but it's theyr matter and we didn't care too much because mainly we go there just for a short roundtrip enjoyng the air con inside more than shopping. Shopping who sometime it's really funny because the shops employer are all busy playng with theyr mobiles not payng any attention to Customers (this is why is not working?).

This is why you didn't met too many people inside there ?

Tourist season over, schools back, monsoon in full swing, etc. If Pattaya is full now, it must be murder in peak season. But if you like that sort of thing, then that's the sort of thing you like.

You mentioned you see 'Quality tourists' in Pattaya at the end of your first patagraph. What do they look like? as I am currently in Pattaya for 1 week and have seen none to which you describe. I see mostly fat balding over 60's white men with tattoos and cigarettes, wrinkled and constantly gloating at my girlfriend everytime we go to the pool or go for a walk. Are these the 'Quality tourists'  you mentioned?

On 6/3/2018 at 1:42 AM, Hummin said:

I do not thank you for the nightmares that I will probably do tonight thanks to you :wink:

17 hours ago, Ciocco said:

no one really understand how that shopping malls they can survive... but it's theyr matter and we didn't care too much because mainly we go there just for a short roundtrip enjoyng the air con inside more than shopping.

ok, so you go to the shopping mall when you want air con, what a blast,

on the bright side it must be bliss to be so easily amused,

not to mention dirt cheap

Everywhere has seasonal variation, and Hua Hin isn't Pattaya in any case. But if you think it is quiet, then you should go to where the Thai hang out. Try looking around Shabushi instead of Sizzler, Baan Khun Por instead of Father Ted's and Borfai instead of Bintabaht. HH is a little less concerned with / dependent on the Western tourist dollar than it was in the past. That leaves many of those slightly pricier bars, restaurants and cafes frequented by expats and tourists struggling at this time. The westerner percentage starts to climb again in September.

Archived