Hua Hin is dead

Haven't been to HH in a looong time, I think it was 2005!  My wife said it was a good town, kept clean(er) because the King stayed there.  I've been meaning to go back for a look. 

Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control?  Pattaya and Jomtien seem to be bursting at the seams with that. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@55Jay "Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control" - there doesn't seem to be anything like the problems we hear about from the other side of the gulf with this, and the presence of the Palace may well have something to do woth this.

Hua Hin's Westerner tourism levels have never really recovered from the Airport Invasion, nearly a decade ago. I moved there in 2007 and evenings in Bintablock were very busy. Since 2009, after such backlog of bookings as there was played through, the season has gotten shorter, later and generally smaller. In contrast to that, the numbers of Thai, Chinese and, increasingly Malay, tourists have made up a lot of the numbers meaning that it can sometimes be quite difficult to get a room in the budget and boutique hotel sector. Of course, Thai and Chinese eat chicken feet and rice and whatever, from the local stalls - you don't much see their presence in Burger King. Much of the increase in condo numbers has gone to Thais and the numbers of Thai during the various local festivals and holidays can get up to plague levels. Even recent efforts to expand tourism via the airport seem to be focusing on bringing Malay and Singaporean golfers to the resort, rather than facilitating access for Western tourists. On the other hand, life has actually been fairly good for the expat population, a few price rises notwithstanding.

6 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

@55Jay "Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control" - there doesn't seem to be anything like the problems we hear about from the other side of the gulf with this, and the presence of the Palace may well have something to do woth this.

Hua Hin's Westerner tourism levels have never really recovered from the Airport Invasion, nearly a decade ago. I moved there in 2007 and evenings in Bintablock were very busy. Since 2009, after such backlog of bookings as there was played through, the season has gotten shorter, later and generally smaller. In contrast to that, the numbers of Thai, Chinese and, increasingly Malay, tourists have made up a lot of the numbers meaning that it can sometimes be quite difficult to get a room in the budget and boutique hotel sector. Of course, Thai and Chinese eat chicken feet and rice and whatever, from the local stalls - you don't much see their presence in Burger King. Much of the increase in condo numbers has gone to Thais and the numbers of Thai during the various local festivals and holidays can get up to plague levels. Even recent efforts to expand tourism via the airport seem to be focusing on bringing Malay and Singaporean golfers to the resort, rather than facilitating access for Western tourists. On the other hand, life has actually been fairly good for the expat population, a few price rises notwithstanding.

Very concise summary.  Exactly what I had in mind.  Thank you! 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:56 AM, Hummin said:

No it want, chineese is like brits, they go same place ?

just 10 min north, we had the beach for our self in High Season! 

I'm not impressed with the Chinese tourists, but they're not that bad.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:14 PM, korkenzieher said:

Why would they want to 'facilitate access for Western tourists'? Is there something special about them?

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, ukrules said:

Yes, it's pretty quiet right now, it has been for about a month - since about the start of the low season.

I miss a low season. Wasn't too long ago that Pattaya had one.  One could actually walk across 2nd road.  There was little to no traffic.  I liked it.  XMAS and New Year of course were great times, but nothing wrong with less hustle and bustle

16 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Why would they want to 'facilitate access for Western tourists'? Is there something special about them?

On the whole, they spend more. And that is, apparently, what the government wants.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:21 AM, poanoi said:

ok, so you go to the shopping mall when you want air con, what a blast,

on the bright side it must be bliss to be so easily amused,

not to mention dirt cheap

You probably likes to change the meaning of words (but just need to read, not so difficult c'mon)...

I wrote " because mainly we go there just for a short roundtrip enjoyng the air con inside more than shopping" 

Being clear you misunderstand i'll explain using more easy words ok?

We do not like that place so much, and we honestly do not understand how they survive being empty all the time... (ok, we underrstand, but surely wasn't what they planned)  moreover having such a unfitted staff working inside, busy with mobile phones more than Customer care... 

Food inside are just mediocre, like in a lot of similar malls, overpriced and not tasty as the one you can easely cook home yourself with a minimum effort.

This is why we go there not so often, but it remain a kind of circus where however we pass sometime, and the thing we enjoy more it's the air con... who doesn't mean we go there for this dude, but it remain the only positive thing inside ?

But if you like the place, or the food, please enjoy it, i was just answering to the original post...

Peace and love

?

On 6/2/2018 at 11:30 PM, Hummin said:

Father Ted have decent food, and sorry to say not to many restaurants that I can pin out for you, but ther is decent food for decent prices. The good restaurants if often better in the high season also. I had a 2. Experience on the Nr one steak restaurant downtow, no naming, but I did let them know what I thought, and hope they have fixed that the next time I show up. 

I had my 3. negative experience this time, and Im not going back and pay high prices for ordinery food! Sorry the Number one Steak restaurant have lost its genuin prima quality mark in my eyes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't need to go to Hua Hin for peace and quiet in low season.  Jomtien is pretty quiet in low season too. Long stretches of beach with hardly anyone around.  I think Jomtien is pretty underrated if you are a beach person, at least in low season.  I wouldn't swim in the water though.  I go out to Koh Larn for that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes, I understand, but won't it affect the business? After all things are built because people come. I have never seen restaurants like Sizzler almost empty in Thailand. The mall was even packed in Sri Racha.

RIP SIZZLER Chiang Mai.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:26 AM, lapd said:

Don't need to go to Hua Hin for peace and quiet in low season.  Jomtien is pretty quiet in low season too. Long stretches of beach with hardly anyone around.  I think Jomtien is pretty underrated if you are a beach person, at least in low season.  I wouldn't swim in the water though.  I go out to Koh Larn for that.

A bit more healthy to swim around Hua Hin and endless nicer beaches as far you want go. 

Even the sharks loves the beaches here ?

It is a quiet time of year in Hua Hin. Think about it. Most of the ex-pats are Scandinavian. Best time of year (most years) to visit back home, or travel. And not as many tourists. HH does not get infested with Chinese tourists, like many other spots. Not as many. And western tourism is way, way down. Best time of year to visit HH. It has many charms. Vey pleasant town, in my opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 8:59 PM, ukrules said:

Yes, it's pretty quiet right now, it has been for about a month - since about the start of the low season.

I went to Burger King at Market Village in Hue Hin  on a week day for lunch on my own a while ago.  A chap was just finishing up as I entered.  I had my usual Whopper large chips and a large diet coke.  From 11.55 am to 12.35 pm 40 mins I was there.  I was the only customer for 40 mins.  It was there the busy time of the day.  There were 9 staff in the shop.  In Australia my order would have cost about $12 it was about the same price in Hue Hin. Nearly Bt300.  In KL when I pass through the airport this same meal 15.50 Rai just half the price it is in Aus or Thailand.  This order is the same meal and same price in downtown KL half the price as Thailand. I've had this meal in Bangkok and Chaing Mia.  It's about Bt 300 in both places... TIT.  I rest my case.

15 hours ago, David Walden said:

I went to Burger King at Market Village in Hue Hin  on a week day for lunch on my own a while ago.  A chap was just finishing up as I entered.  I had my usual Whopper large chips and a large diet coke.  From 11.55 am to 12.35 pm 40 mins I was there.  I was the only customer for 40 mins.  It was there the busy time of the day.  There were 9 staff in the shop.  In Australia my order would have cost about $12 it was about the same price in Hue Hin. Nearly Bt300.  In KL when I pass through the airport this same meal 15.50 Rai just half the price it is in Aus or Thailand.  This order is the same meal and same price in downtown KL half the price as Thailand. I've had this meal in Bangkok and Chaing Mia.  It's about Bt 300 in both places... TIT.  I rest my case.

Not a bad case either.When You get around, its so easy to get in conflict with a Town Mouse . They just thrive on Stereotypes and Visa probs.

On 8/13/2018 at 5:04 PM, spidermike007 said:

It is a quiet time of year in Hua Hin. Think about it. Most of the ex-pats are Scandinavian. Best time of year (most years) to visit back home, or travel. And not as many tourists. HH does not get infested with Chinese tourists, like many other spots. Not as many. And western tourism is way, way down. Best time of year to visit HH. It has many charms. Vey pleasant town, in my opinion. 

Heard there's a government offensive to attract Chinese tourists back to Thailand, Hua Hin is safe! Time to stockpile earplugs...

Just had tourist friends visit HH , and boy did they bag the place on return.

They complained of thousands of dead fish along the beach , dirty seas and a general  decline of the 'quarter ' that they had liked about 6 years back.

Just reporting ...

I was at Venezia in Hua Hin a couple of days ago, not only was it almost deserted, all the shops except the one you are obliged to walk through at the entrance/exit were vacated and most of the restaurants too. Got to be closing soon. I don't understand their attitude, overpriced for foreigners, no promotions are any attempt to lure in customers, obviously given up.

There's a lack of foreigners around but Cha Am is always busy at weekends when the Thais come down. doesn't really help the businesses though as they bring their own food or eat and drink on the beach.

Boring city HH , I will never go back , not even for a visit.

Regarding Chinese and Russians , they are are already invading all the tourist resorts , nothing we can do about that . 

Pattaya is fine even if the traffic is crazy all year round. 

On 9/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, ding said:

Sold!

We'll visit there early February to see if it's a good place to retire to.

I've lived in Thailand / Laos since 2010, and 95% of that time has been in HH. Chinese people do overrun this place, and more so this year of 2018. Me and my gf have seen a decrease of farang tourism within HH (she works in the tourism industry here) and we've been discussing why this is. She personally puts it down to a nationwide issue, that the current head of state is inadequate to control the economy, and make it prosper. I personally think it's mostly down to the rise in prices of things like accommodation, food and beer. Farang tourists are realising they can have an equally enjoyable experience, if not more so, for a far less cost, in neighbouring countries. 

All the while, Chinese tourists influx and overrun things, they get on their buses, stop, take pics, eat, and get back on and are gone. This is not ideal to the economy, but it is what it is. 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, zaZa9 said:

Just had tourist friends visit HH , and boy did they bag the place on return.

They complained of thousands of dead fish along the beach , dirty seas and a general  decline of the 'quarter ' that they had liked about 6 years back.

Just reporting ...

Dead fish is due to fresh water in the seawater, and it happens every rainseason. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1344140/tonnes-of-dead-fish-wash-up-on-hua-hin-beach

Dirty water is sand in the water washed up, also worse in the rainy season, due to wind rain waves etc. 

Every tourist place change by time ????

Hua HIn is still nr one all year around due to the weather, but high  seasons Thailand have better places yes. 

Archived