Hua Hin is dead

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I want to live Hua Hin, what to do? Start bar or restaurant? No wonder everyone have a bar or restaurant for sale!

The last 10 years, Hua Hin is not only Hua Hin center anymore, it is spread out to north to south and inland, no wonder there is less people around. A new big shopping center as well, and people have grown old and spend more time home.

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

not saying tourism hasnt declined just saying that its not a ghost town for 8 months of the year.

Murphy's bar has been for sale for over 8 years with no takers so far.....

Yeah I admit 'ghost town' is a bit drastic, it isn't a ghost town and I myself didn't say that, but things are for sure in decline in a big way. Like I've said before my Thai gf works in tourism here, and the company she works for has been bricking it this year. Talking to business owners and looking around, it is obvious anyway. There are certain areas that are booming though, but for the most part things are in decline, and it's not a matter of the high-low season 

33 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Yeah I admit 'ghost town' is a bit drastic, it isn't a ghost town and I myself didn't say that, but things are for sure in decline in a big way. Like I've said before my Thai gf works in tourism here, and the company she works for has been bricking it this year. Talking to business owners and looking around, it is obvious anyway. There are certain areas that are booming though, but for the most part things are in decline, and it's not a matter of the high-low season 

And tourists is not changing their behavior with new apps and other techs? New type of customers doing different things, and have different needs. 

I like Hua Hin for what it is, and perfect base for me. Middle of everything, and not to far from BKK. 

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

And tourists is not changing their behavior with new apps and other techs? New type of customers doing different things, and have different needs. 

I like Hua Hin for what it is, and perfect base for me. Middle of everything, and not to far from BKK. 

I like HH a lot too, in fact I prefer it when it's quieter like this. Just a shame for the businesses is all. 

Many bad business plans.  Who in their right mind would go to a buffet that had zero customers?  And places with no prices posted...my experience says always avoid that, even in the States.  Many are quite happy here. and some great people here...I miss Bangkok, where 30 THB still gets you a meal and a big smile from a beautiful Thai lady.. certainly not around Sukhumvit, though.

• 1 month later...

ONe goes to HH to avoid Pattaya ...for those who have seen the crazy bits of life, for those who no longer want the wild west madness or want a moderate place to live with wife or family. Its attractions are often hidden but with many Bangkok folk there most weekends its OK with a few bars and restaurants. Took me 40 minutes to find a parking place on Boxing Day. Not a place for drunken young ravers 

• 5 weeks later...

Hua Hin is busy. Was just there the other day. But, less busy than in previous years. Bookings are down, restaurants are not as busy, and many establishments are complaining that business is off. Less Chinese are visiting, and far less Western tourists are visiting Thailand than before. They were the spenders. The Chinese that are quoted on those studies that show them to be one of the top spenders while traveling are not coming to Thailand. The zero to low baht tourists are coming in droves and it is helping very few.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, tideout said:

Charming looking place.

Spent most of my last 4 years on/off from Australia in Cha-am. Not too big not too small. 30 km's north from Hue Hin  Presently the town is suffering much as the 100 metre wide beach, its greatest asset has mostly disappeared.  High tide with easterly winds has taken nearly all of the beach sand away and the sea keeps crashing onto the rocks placed there by the local Govt to try and stop this erosion without much success, also some of the concrete seawalls have collapsed recently.  Not good for tots and children as the beach was magnificent for children.  They need to climb over granite rocks to get to the water, boat ramps nearly all rendered useless.  Used to have mainly thousands of Thai families many with small children and teens playing scratch games of soccer or just having fun games at weekends on the wide sandy beach but not now, also the clogging up the roads around the beach on Sat/Sun which was was OK is now mostly free-flowing.  With the beach almost up to the beach road very little sand is now available, very few small children can be seen running around...still a very nice place but I do feel for the Thai Trader with their 20,000or so deck chairs for hire and about 10% rented and their efforts to make a Bht or two with their food stalls etc.  The banana boats for hire have just about stopped   The Bus Stop Soi lady bar owners many of them say they are going broke...Cha-am I think is still just right to retire in still.    

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2018 at 10:01 PM, champers said:

When you say "doing a bit inside Hooters" you don't actually mean that do you?

I am totally lost, what is 'doing a bit inside Hooters' means?  Is it sex? or selling ? I must get the answer b4 my missus comes back and all hell break loose if she suspects something untoward in my activities.

Hua Hin has been pretty busy for about 3 months from the middle to December to the middle of March.

Now it's quiet again. This is exactly as expected. It's busy in the peak / high season followed by a big and noticeable dropoff towards the end of March which is where we are now.

Went to HH early February, here's my take;

Clean long beach.

Sand not as nice as Samui or Samet etc.

Non smoking beach (winner).

Packed with wrinkly obese Farang under umbrellas all day.

Monthly Rent is fairly affordable for a tourist beach area.

The highway between the main town and the beach is a hazard. Pick a side.

There's a Euro sidewalk cafe vibe in areas.

Some ok gyms, not priced much higher than US real gyms. 

Local Thais are nice, not jaded like Samui and BKK in recent years.

Food Land there is nice, good food -cheap, AC.

Not a lot of grilled chicken and som tam.

It had plenty of people.

No pollution (hello BKK & Chiang Mai).

On 6/2/2018 at 11:06 PM, Golden Triangle said:

We will be stopping in Hua Hin (or close by)  towards the end of the month on our return from the South, I have a feeling I will be calling into Father Teds - been told their food is good, so any TV members fancy a meet up ? I'll post again nearer the time as I don' know how long our trip South & back North is going to take . ?

I was in Hua Hin last week. Stayed at the Baan Paploy across the road from Father Teds. Best night out at Father Teds. The Bangkok Beatles were playing and the beers were flowing. The place was packed.  I had the spare ribs which was among the best meals I ha e had in Thailand ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 5:35 PM, swissie said:

What is "death" to one guy may be "quiet and comfortable" to another guy.

When it get's too quiet, Hua-Hin/Cha-Am residents can hop on the ferry and spend a couple of days in Pattaya.
Far easier than taking an 8 hour bus-ride from Nakhon Nowhere to a place that is less "death", when the need arises.

- My clairvoyant Romanian Gipsy predicts, that if the Ferry-Service can be expanded (using truly ocean going vessels instead of modified riverboats, increase passenger volume = lower prices), the Hua-Hin/Cha-Am area cold quickly become a favorite Retirement-Spot for Farangs that like a "quiet and comfortable" environement, knowing that the "neon-lights" are only 2 1/2 hours away.
Cheers.

PS: I could take the OP softly by the hand and take him to places in Thailand that are really "death". Even in low-season, Hua-Hin would appear as as jumping metropolis in comparison.:smile:

never been on the ferry when it, been more than 20% full if they put the price down to 500 baht sure they,d make more profit long term.

25 minutes ago, kingdong said:

never been on the ferry when it, been more than 20% full if they put the price down to 500 baht sure they,d make more profit long term.

what's waiting when you get off the ferry in pattaya?

friendly songtheaws waiting to whizz you cheaply into the action zone or a horde of screaming 500baht taxi mafia?

20 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The timings are what put me off using the ferry more than the cost. They aren't conducive to having a short visit in either direction.

Just spent almost 4 weeks there and the place is the most quiet I've known it for a long time.

2 hours ago, alacrity said:

The timings are what put me off using the ferry more than the cost. They aren't conducive to having a short visit in either direction.

Just spent almost 4 weeks there and the place is the most quiet I've known it for a long time.

Yeah, it's dead again, low season started early this year.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:43 PM, ukrules said:

Yeah, it's dead again, low season started early this year.

Again, timings are important. The place has been mostly quiet for the past 3-4 years when I've been there. Doesn't stop me from visiting though. Just not so often nowadays. 

At least one of my female friends also claims that Hua-Hin is dead. Ready to go back to Pattaya to "work".

She claims that the Farangs in Hua Hin are "half dead" and refuse to spend money to have "fun". True/false?
Among others, maybe NCC1701A may want to comment?

Archived