Best value mobile data package for long term

jackdd

If anybody is looking for a long term mobile data package option i can recommend to search for this on Lazada: true 4mbps

What you will find then are offers for a True Move Sim card which includes a 4 mbps unlimited traffic data plan for one year for 1599 THB

I just got this for myself. 4 mbps is fast enough for mobile internet and probably faster than most shared wifi options in apartments.

What you will receive is a prepaid card which includes this 1 year data plan. To activate it you have to take to any True shop so that they can register it on your name (you have to take your passport there).

Calling is 1 THB per minute and of course you have to top up money to be able to do so, it's prepaid.

One thing that isn't mentioned there: You have the 1 year internet plan, but the validity of the sim card starts with 1 month, so you have to use it for calling a bit and top up money or it would expire.

But after you have used it "normally" for 90 days you can extend the validity by just paying a few THB (for example dialing *934*180# would extend it for 180 days and costs 12 THB) https://www.whoknown.com/2014/03/934-truemove-h.html

So for the internet it's 133 THB per month, if you factor in the necessary usage so that it doesn't expire it's maybe 150 THB per month, i think that's the cheapest options available for a reasonable mobile internet package.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/golden-dog-sim.html

The "list price" of the TrueMove H 'one-year service' is 1,200/1 Mbps/12 months (600/ 6 months) and 2,500/4 Mbps/12 months (1,400/ 6 months). I think those packages are being discounted because retailers want to unload them. I think True gave these to some channels as SPIFFs

Still a good deal.

Some like Line Mobile (a brand of DTAC) - their 5 GB (100 Mbps)/150 minutes of calling is currently on sale for 179 baht/month (from 329). https://th.linemobile.com/en/select_numbers

I bought the AIS Net Marathon 4 Mbps SIM for 2,500 baht for one year.  They say calls to AIS are 1 baht/hour, for one year, which sounds a bit too good to be true, and I haven't confirmed or found this not to be accurate yet, as I just topped it up and haven't counted down what calls are costing me yet.  Before the AIS net SIM I bought the dTAC "Go plern" net SIM, which was a terrible purchase.  It was supposed to be an internet SIM for one year and a month after I bought it dTAC completely stopped supporting the SIM; it seems to be only useful for voice calls.

I am so annoyed at Dtac now that I can't wait to throw that SIM card in the trash.  The problem is I opened two online bank accounts using my Dtac number, so I have to physically go to a branch of K-Bank and Bangkok Bank first to fill out a form to change my number.  And I should probably go to Thai Immigration and update my phone number there, what a drag. How else is Dtac annoying?  After they stopped supporting the SIM card they sold me they started to send me spam phone messages regularly to try to sell me internet service at ridiculous high prices.  My message to all.......avoid Dtac!

The AIS net marathon SIM card is not available at many stores.  I bought it directly from AIS online, they mailed it to me, and then I had to go to a Telewiz shop to get the number registered before I could use it.  I could select my phone number from a long list of possible phone numbers.....fun for the superstitious seeking a lucky number.  The AIS net marathon SIM is also available in a 1 Mbps version for 1,200 baht/year, which I don't recommend because that speed is not the best and voice calls are more expensive on that version.

10 hours ago, daocat555 said:

The problem is I opened two online bank accounts using my Dtac number, so I have to physically go to a branch of K-Bank and Bangkok Bank first to fill out a form to change my number

You can port-out your DTAC number to AIS or TrueMove H. This service has been available for many years now, and you will keep your number. It's called MNP, Mobile Number Portability.

http://www.ais.co.th/move-to-ais/en/step.html

http://truemoveh.digitalcampaignsite.com/v2/en/mnp_whatis.aspx

One thing that isn't mentioned there: You have the 1 year internet plan, but the validity of the sim card starts with 1 month, so you have to use it for calling a bit and top up money or it would expire.

I have one of these packages but I bought mine directly from True. I use it in a 4G wifi dongle.

The validity on my SIM/package (as shown by #123#) is one complete year from the date of activation. My balance is zero and always has been.

19 hours ago, daocat555 said:

Before the AIS net SIM I bought the dTAC "Go plern" net SIM, which was a terrible purchase.  It was supposed to be an internet SIM for one year and a month after I bought it dTAC completely stopped supporting the SIM; it seems to be only useful for voice calls.

I still use "Go Plern" SIM without any problems. Only one little annoying thing: they periodically send SMS "your internet speed is only 64k, but you can buy bla-bla-bla". However  not so often, so I don't care.

19 hours ago, daocat555 said:

The problem is I opened two online bank accounts using my Dtac number, so I have to physically go to a branch of K-Bank and Bangkok Bank first to fill out a form to change my number. 

AFAIR, you can change your mobile number at Kasikorn ATM. At least, I done this in 2012 when change mobile number.
And, as another people already suggested, you can port your number to another provider. Just come to the new provider's office and claim. They will give you new SIM card and after 3-5 days you number will be moved.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, jackdd said:

So for the internet it's 133 THB per month,

Sounds good...
Wonder is it possible to switch to this package with my existing True number...

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have one of these packages but I bought mine directly from True. I use it in a 4G wifi dongle.

The validity on my SIM/package (as shown by #123#) is one complete year from the date of activation. My balance is zero and always has been.

Can you give more details on the package as I cannot find it on the True site.

I have a True pocket wifi and their top up packages just got very expensive. Before 15GB for 15 days at 150 baht, the best now is 5GB for 7 days at 99 baht

Can you give more details on the package as I cannot find it on the True site.

As mentioned, it isnt on their site but if you go in and ask for it they know all about it (in the big shops anyway). I find it very handy with the 4G wifi dongle as it can be used in the car, in hotels, or at home if the broadband is down.

The only real drawback to it is that it apparently cannot be added to an existing number/SIM card, at least not with mine: I tried in two different shops and no one could do it, even after calling head office. You just have to get a new SIM and a new number. But if you are using it in a dongle or in a dual-SIM phone that's not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 12:33 PM, KittenKong said:

As mentioned, it isnt on their site but if you go in and ask for it they know all about it (in the big shops anyway). I find it very handy with the 4G wifi dongle as it can be used in the car, in hotels, or at home if the broadband is down.

The only real drawback to it is that it apparently cannot be added to an existing number/SIM card, at least not with mine: I tried in two different shops and no one could do it, even after calling head office. You just have to get a new SIM and a new number. But if you are using it in a dongle or in a dual-SIM phone that's not a problem.

It could. It just needed to be a specific kind of SIM in the first instance. 4G Net SIM.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Just noticed that all 3-months or 1-year Internet On-Top package sseem to have disappear from the AIS website ??

There used to be a package a bit more than 2'000B for a 1-year 4 GB on this page: https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package, central column Refill Package, but no more  ?  and 12 x the monthly rate is more than double of the disappeared yearly rate ...

Someone knows options available now ? (on AIS without changing SIM)

hello,

All 1 year packages are here, but do we know what happens after 1 year ?

Can we just renew for 1 year ?

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/simcard/en/marathon.html
https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/golden-dog-sim.html
https://goo.gl/mBi1Tr

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, jackdd said:

I just saw that they even got cheaper (probably because they have to be activated before end of this year), now they are sold for only 1299THB

It states; Newly registered to 31/12/2018 (for customers purchased from 15/1/2018)

That sounds as if they are only valid until the end of the year; 4 months for 1299 baht isn't good value.

Of course it could just be poor English, as there are other listings that don't have this. Buyer beware as usual.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

It states; Newly registered to 31/12/2018 (for customers purchased from 15/1/2018)

That sounds as if they are only valid until the end of the year; 4 months for 1299 baht isn't good value.

Of course it could just be poor English, as there are other listings that don't have this. Buyer beware as usual.

I bought one of these a few months ago and can tell you that the internet package is valid for one year from the day when i activated the sim card

35 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I bought one of these a few months ago and can tell you that the internet package is valid for one year from the day when i activated the sim card

This is just one seller and it could just be their poor English.

It's possible they meant that the SIM expiry date if unregistered.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to check with the sender before purchase to avoid disappointment.

anyone that has one of those cards actually read the terms and conditions to see the REAL limits of the plan (likely called fair use limits)

asking because I used to have something similar to this, was slower than 4mpbs but I used it on my computer (tethering) and even if they said "unlimited" my speed ended up being so slow that it was slower than dialup (literally unusable)

when I called about it they said it was unlimited BUT after X would go to Y speed and that speed was ... crap.

none of those plans are literally unlimited, they all have a fair use clause

I think my phone has dual sim and I might be interested in getting something like that, however if their fair use limits are low then its rubbish (for me). 4mbps is 500 KB/s maximum, minimum is 0 KB/s ?

3 hours ago, kekalot said:

anyone that has one of those cards actually read the terms and conditions to see the REAL limits of the plan (likely called fair use limits)

asking because I used to have something similar to this, was slower than 4mpbs but I used it on my computer (tethering) and even if they said "unlimited" my speed ended up being so slow that it was slower than dialup (literally unusable)

when I called about it they said it was unlimited BUT after X would go to Y speed and that speed was ... crap.

none of those plans are literally unlimited, they all have a fair use clause

I think my phone has dual sim and I might be interested in getting something like that, however if their fair use limits are low then its rubbish (for me). 4mbps is 500 KB/s maximum, minimum is 0 KB/s ?

No...your plan was not similar. 

This offer has no fair use limit, other than not for commercial usage

• 1 month later...

Update: 

I ended up having more and more connectivity issues with DTAC, especially when it rained.

Ping latencies went from 80ms towards 10.000 and more every few minutes. I tried this with two mobile phones.

So I ended up buying AIS SIM card. 6Mbps / 6 months for 1800 baht. 

I got to home and the reception was horrible. Similar kind of issues that I had with dtac. Only if I put my phone just under the roof of my house, I got decent connection.

I ended up buying a LTE MiFi device, which shares my mobile connection to my home. It was just 1500 baht, so I decided to give it a try. Boy, it made difference! Now my connection is rock solid. Latencies to 8.8.8.8 are 40ms, half what it used to be and I get full 6Mbps download and upload speeds. 

In fact, I have never had faster home internet than this ????

I updated the prices for long term SIMs to my website. True now offers 30 month (90 days) 6 Mbps and 10 Mbps packages, but not longer than that.

https://oilinki.com/blog/1-year-unlimited-data-sim-cards-thailand

393764366_Screenshot2018-10-1322_39_04.png.e35cdb7081e71261c8bc8d5e88878dc0.png

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

Update: 

I ended up having more and more connectivity issues with DTAC, especially when it rained.

Ping latencies went from 80ms towards 10.000 and more every few minutes. I tried this with two mobile phones.

So I ended up buying AIS SIM card. 6Mbps / 6 months for 1800 baht. 

I got to home and the reception was horrible. Similar kind of issues that I had with dtac. Only if I put my phone just under the roof of my house, I got decent connection.

I ended up buying a LTE MiFi device, which shares my mobile connection to my home. It was just 1500 baht, so I decided to give it a try. Boy, it made difference! Now my connection is rock solid. Latencies to 8.8.8.8 are 40ms, half what it used to be and I get full 6Mbps download and upload speeds. 

In fact, I have never had faster home internet than this ????

I updated the prices for long term SIMs to my website. True now offers 30 month (90 days) 6 Mbps and 10 Mbps packages, but not longer than that.

https://oilinki.com/blog/1-year-unlimited-data-sim-cards-thailand

393764366_Screenshot2018-10-1322_39_04.png.e35cdb7081e71261c8bc8d5e88878dc0.png

DTAC also has longer term 1/4/10 Mbps packages. 1 & 4 Mbps at 90/180/365. 10 Mbps at 90 days.

10 Mbps 90 *104*598#  1300 baht

4 Mbps 365/180/90  596/595/594 2500/1400/900 baht

1 Mbps 365/180/90  593/592/591 1200/600/550 baht

All prices subject to 7% VAT.

12 hours ago, oilinki said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with your blog, but a fair bit of what is there is either inaccurate or incomplete.

For instance, you just updated the page to show that DTAC has a 12 month 4 Mbps package, but even though I have listed it at 2500 baht + VAT, you have put it down as 2999 baht.

In addition, you state that True do not have long term deals for six months or longer. This is also inaccurate, as they do currently have 6/12 month 1/4Mbps packages at the same price as DTAC.

Which brings me to a third issue; no USSD codes on your page. So no one will know how to apply for the packages, even if they chanced upon your blog.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with your blog, but a fair bit of what is there is either inaccurate or incomplete.

For instance, you just updated the page to show that DTAC has a 12 month 4 Mbps package, but even though I have listed it at 2500 baht + VAT, you have put it down as 2999 baht.

In addition, you state that True do not have long term deals for six months or longer. This is also inaccurate, as they do currently have 6/12 month 1/4Mbps packages at the same price as DTAC.

Which brings me to a third issue; no USSD codes on your page. So no one will know how to apply for the packages, even if they chanced upon your blog.

1) Dtac website says it's Golden Dog yearly sim for 4 Mbps is 2999 baht.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/golden-dog-sim.html

2) I visited True shop yesterday and was told that they only have 90 day packages. I specifically asked if they have 6 month or 1 year - no have.

3) I don't know anyone who uses USSD codes to subscribe services from operators. Therefore it's too much work to find those from operators websites. People can call to the call centres and subscribe to services that way.

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

1) Dtac website says it's Golden Dog yearly sim for 4 Mbps is 2999 baht.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/golden-dog-sim.html

2) I visited True shop yesterday and was told that they only have 90 day packages. I specifically asked if they have 6 month or 1 year - no have.

3) I don't know anyone who uses USSD codes to subscribe services from operators. Therefore it's too much work to find those from operators websites. People can call to the call centres and subscribe to services that way.

Do you think people prefer to pay 2999 as opposed to 2675?

So it's appears USSD codes are better than visiting a True shop, as you can subscribe to True's six and twelve month packages that way.

Archived