Best value mobile data package for long term

jackdd

On 6/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, JamJar said:

You clearly have a problem with communicating. No one is being shirty. I am just trying to make sense of what you have written. It still makes no sense at all and I'm not sure that you know either.

You do know that the topic of this thread is best value mobile data package for long term, don't you?

DTAC can be great in some locations and dismal in others. Truemove H too. So what is "good" can be dependent on location. So unless you live with jackdd, you have no idea as to whether DTAC would be better for him.

Best to leave it there eh? 

hello,

as you seem to know your stuff, can you confirm that they are the cheapest packages ?

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, myjawe said:

hello,

as you seem to know your stuff, can you confirm that they are the cheapest packages ?

Thanks a lot.

Have replied to your post on the other thread. 

Also, there is the caveat of the speeds available in your particular location.

In one apartment, I cannot obtain more than 2 to 4 Mbps with either DTAC or Truemove H, whilst I can easily attain 15 Mbps and more with AIS.

In another apartment, I can barely obtain a signal with AIS, but can attain high speeds with DTAC. 20 Mbps on a 20 Mbps package.

So, if you want to go with, say a 10 Mbps package, do check the speed that you can attain with a particular network in your location. Using a day package, before committing yourself.

Hi Jack, so its like new truemove simcard? what if i have true simcard now(using as normal packages 350baht per month) - if i buy that from Lazada: true 4mbps can this registration be done to my current simcard?
Thanks

It's a new sim card with a new number. I hardly use my phone number for anything, so for me the change of the phone number is not relevant.

You could ask True if they can swap the number of the two sim cards, or something similar.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, JamJar said:

Though possibly they have all sold out.

Yes it seems the DTAC Golden Dog SIM is no longer available...its gone from their website..I went to one DTAC shop recently and asked  they said  "no hab"     mind you the shop I got  my Golden Dog SIM from  a year ago said they didn't have any  until I showed them it on their website  then all of a sudden they found them in a cupboard out the back !!

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

It's a new sim card with a new number. I hardly use my phone number for anything, so for me the change of the phone number is not relevant.

You could ask True if they can swap the number of the two sim cards, or something similar.

These cheap True 12-month data packages come with their own SIM card and number. They cannot be transferred to another number, nor can another number be transferred to that SIM.

I know, I asked. This is why I moved to CAT, number and all.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, KittenKong said:

These cheap True 12-month data packages come with their own SIM card and number. They cannot be transferred to another number, nor can another number be transferred to that SIM.

I know, I asked. This is why I moved to CAT, number and all.

CAT accepts any SIM Card ? I have an old number that I would like to keep.

How is the process to move to CAT ? can do it online ?

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

Thanks.

http://www.mybycat.com/en/

The new system requires only one day to activate after a MNP request is submitted by a customer to the old operator via their mobile phone by dialling *151* plus their ID card number, pressing # and then pressing the Dial key.

The user can then contact the new network operator by showing a text message that contains a quick code and a message from the old operator confirming that the MNP request has been received.

Then you can visit a Service Centre to get a new SIM and transfer the number; http://www.mybycat.com/en/Service_Center.php

33 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

Thanks.

Be careful of getting rid of your old number, as only they are able to still access unlimited data packages.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, iska said:

Jack, is it this simcard what you mean right? and truemove shops dont sell it by themself? Have to order from lazada?

233342560_true4mb.PNG.053a9a1a72abe9b9d530bb369e427009.PNG

Yes, only online.

Ordered this last week and it arrived today. Activated and seems to work well. 

• 2 months later...

Tried today, 100gb for 200 thb is not available anymore on AIS.

2019-07-12.jpg

But 32gb for 100 thb is available.

Have you found and just tried any other big package lately ? Thank you for your help.

Jamjar is the best and because of some idiots here he does not want to reply us anymore, you should feel ashamed.

• 2 weeks later...

coming to Thai next week for 6 months. Last trip someone local got me on Lazada a 6 month pre paid data sim with a separate number(Tru) for 300 baht plus tax, data limit was 300 gb (200 + 100 FB & Line) and the speed was 1mbps which was ok for me . no extra charges and calls to other Tru users were free. I just cant make sense of the Lazada website *at all* and i want to give a link to a friend to buy for me so its there when i get there next week . Can anyone see the most appropriate and cheapest for what i want as per last year? my phone number is with Tru but i guess as its a seperate card(dual sim phone ) i could use any network for the data. I tended to do a calls package seperately but maybe theres a good deal out there for data and calls too(although i dont need that many mins per month) thanks all . ps where's kneedeep when needed?! ????

The newest promotion is the same for Ais, DTAC and True. Run this through google translate. https://www.9tana.com/node/dtac-4mbps-10mbps/

If I read this correctly, almost any new SIM will work, and you need to apply the package immediately. Someone said before that Dtac Happy won't work. This promotion lasts until November 30, but once applied it should run for up to a year.

2 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

The newest promotion is the same for Ais, DTAC and True. Run this through google translate. https://www.9tana.com/node/dtac-4mbps-10mbps/

If I read this correctly, almost any new SIM will work, and you need to apply the package immediately. Someone said before that Dtac Happy won't work. This promotion lasts until November 30, but once applied it should run for up to a year.

thats what im looking for goldmagpie,  great link thanks(although i dont understand it all!)

if im reading correctly, 150 baht per month incl tax for unlimited data at a speed of 4mbps and calls to all networks included. Seems a decent deal as last year i was paying monthly equivalent about 90bt for 200 mins and 50bt for 1mbps, both plus tax

Could i apply that package to my current Tru sim card that ive had for a few years?

or would i need to get a new unused Sim and apply that code  to that SIM? and if new SIM then i think that needs a passport registration. Worth trying on mine and go from there 

there was a link in your link to a Tru offer same deal 150month/unlimited data @4mbps/all calls /all networks....i might go for that *900* 9613#

So last time i paid for the 6 months upfront. So with this do i just top up my balance and apply the code each month? im concerned about that deal expiring or will it know that i started it within the correct period? thats the bit im confused on

thanks for the help

13 hours ago, NightSky said:

so these promotions only work for the first year of a new registered number?

If you want to keep the same number more than one year you have to pay the usual prices.

See photos

A new sim/number limited to 12 months works for me. 

Sorry to be a bit dense, but practically.....

-I top up my tru balance over 150 baht

-just apply that code to new sim(after passport registration) 

-and I get 4mbps data & all calls/all networks 

-and I keep re applying it every month

-and it won't expire(up to 12 months) because it knows I started it within promotion period?

It's the how to actually do it bit I'm stuck on, thanks 

IMG_20191103_165514.jpg

IMG_20191103_165436.jpg

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

if you want to keep an old sim you have to look for deals on old sims

I'll probably go new sim but out of interest 

So when looking on these sites how does one search for those current SIMs typically or how are they normally displayed (as in keywords) ? Deals on old sims doesn't sound like it will cut it... Thanks 

On 11/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, goldmagpie said:

Thanks for the post, very useful.

Be careful with the sim card when using DTAC

Yesterday bought a new sim, put 200B credit on and entered the codes for the promotion. Message came back promotion not available.
Took the sim, receipts and a picture of the promotion to DTAC shop in central festival phuket.
The staff knew of the promotion and couldnt understand why it was not going on the sim, after some asking around they found out the promotion didnt work on a standard sim but needed to be on a Happy Net Sim. The staff opened a new happy net sim, transferred the 200B from the old sim and checked the promotion was accepted. All OK.  The add-on is showing in the mydatc dashboard as being valid through to November 2020.

Last year I had the DTAC golden dog one year add-on package, so I know nothing about renewing monthly addons.
Can I buy eleven 30-day addons today, all the same codes as this promotion,  so that I can forget about a refill until november 2020.

Will that work?

19 hours ago, thecolonel said:

I'll probably go new sim but out of interest 

So when looking on these sites how does one search for those current SIMs typically or how are they normally displayed (as in keywords) ? Deals on old sims doesn't sound like it will cut it... Thanks 

Weirdly they aren't always on AIS website, look on facebook and lazada. on lazada try "AIS 4mbps" search word

4 hours ago, ch4974 said:

...on the sim, after some asking around they found out the promotion didnt work on a standard sim but needed to be on a Happy Net Sim. The staff opened a ...

...Can I buy eleven 30-day addons today, all the same codes as this promotion,  so that I can forget about a refill until november 2020.

Will that work?...

Thanks for that bit about Happy Net Sim. Very useful. Except I can't find it online. So do you have a picture of the SIM packaging?

I think this promotion auto renews as long as you have sufficient balance on the card. If your balance dips below, there's a code to restart it, once you top up. For one of the telcos, the code for renewing the first time is different from the code you use the first month.

5 hours ago, ch4974 said:

Thanks for the post, very useful.

Be careful with the sim card when using DTAC

Yesterday bought a new sim, put 200B credit on and entered the codes for the promotion. Message came back promotion not available.
Took the sim, receipts and a picture of the promotion to DTAC shop in central festival phuket.
The staff knew of the promotion and couldnt understand why it was not going on the sim, after some asking around they found out the promotion didnt work on a standard sim but needed to be on a Happy Net Sim. The staff opened a new happy net sim, transferred the 200B from the old sim and checked the promotion was accepted. All OK.  The add-on is showing in the mydatc dashboard as being valid through to November 2020.

Last year I had the DTAC golden dog one year add-on package, so I know nothing about renewing monthly addons.
Can I buy eleven 30-day addons today, all the same codes as this promotion,  so that I can forget about a refill until november 2020.

Will that work?

Yeah that's precisely what I'm worried about, ie I buy a new(non tourist) sim and then the chuffing promo won't apply! ????

On 11/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, thecolonel said:

See photos

A new sim/number limited to 12 months works for me. 

Sorry to be a bit dense, but practically.....

-I top up my tru balance over 150 baht

-just apply that code to new sim(after passport registration) 

-and I get 4mbps data & all calls/all networks 

-and I keep re applying it every month

-and it won't expire(up to 12 months) because it knows I started it within promotion period?

It's the how to actually do it bit I'm stuck on, thanks 

IMG_20191103_165514.jpg

IMG_20191103_165436.jpg

this and 10Mbps are only for new simcards, looks like im getting new simcard then. and 10Mbps for 200

2 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

This page says that for DTAC any SIM costing 49 Baht works, except Happy SIMs. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.okpronet.com%2F

So, was the SIM that didn't work a Happy SIM?

The first sim that didnt work was a new standard sim (the one you choose from the 10 offered by DTAC staff) the sim that did work was a new "Happy Net" sim.

Is the "Happy" sim the same as a "Happy Net" sim?.

Sorry the packaging is gone. The Happy Net sim appears on the DTAC prepaid thai language page as one of the adverts scrolling across the top. Interesting it doesnt seem to appear on the english language page.

https://www.dtac.co.th/prepaid/?c_lang=th&c_pagename=&c_type=

I read from your original post about which sim worked or which didn't, which is why I posted the information about what was actually required in the DTAC phuket shop by the DTAC staff to get the product to work.   Maybe they changed the terms/requirements of the promotion, marketing depts are slippy like that.

The easiest way to get this package would be take the picture of the promotion into a DTAC shop and ask them to put it on a new sim card. Let DTAC sort out the sim details.

Again thank you very much for the original post. This dtac promotion is faster and cheaper than last years dtac golden dog package.

Archived