Ford EcoSport vs Toyota C-HR

I need to buy a small SUV and I'm caught between these two vehicles. I'd go for Toyota (for servicing mostly) but it looks so much like a Juke and that puts me off. The EcoSport looks good but it doesn't have navigation right?  It's really important for me to have GPS navigation (not via my phone!). Any views?  maybe Ford added GPS nav but I can't seem to find the info online (in Eng).

Which one would you go for?  and why?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i had the choice? Ecosport

The CH-R look funky? but little space/room in the back? lack of feet/headroom - Ecosport best in size of all small SUV.

Ch-R The Engine comes out of the Corolla, same design spec 10 years ago - out dated! Toyota produce new models always same engines why?

I would wait for new Updated Model Ecosport or even Storm model (bigger engine) look great? maybe 2019 Launch? 

How about the new MG ZS? Built in Sat nav/voice controlled smart computer. Same or more space than eco sport. I had a test drive and preferred it to the eco sport. Just depends on the service/reliability reviews.

IMG_0066.PNG.a4dbca4f3bc7169232596c4d304041fd.PNG

19 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

How about the new MG ZS? Built in Sat nav/voice controlled smart computer. Same or more space than eco sport. I had a test drive and preferred it to the eco sport. Just depends on the service/reliability reviews.

My Wife's cousin just picked up one of these to nip around in... After seeing it I couldn't believe the price... its a lot of car for the money (relative to Thailand) and it has all the 'toys' sat-nav, connected drive (has its own sim card - with a True network), full moon roof... 

The only question I would have is reliability and service - but engineering and design has developed to such a degree that all / most new cars these days seem to be of a similar reliability level without any major issues... (with the exception of the odd lemon - which any manufacturer seems to suffer). 

19 hours ago, DMC1 said:

A real possibility or even the GS?  2.0?

20 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

If i had the choice? Ecosport

The CH-R look funky? but little space/room in the back? lack of feet/headroom - Ecosport best in size of all small SUV.

Ch-R The Engine comes out of the Corolla, same design spec 10 years ago - out dated! Toyota produce new models always same engines why?

I would wait for new Updated Model Ecosport or even Storm model (bigger engine) look great? maybe 2019 Launch? 

Yes the Storm looks much better than the current Ecosport with the bigger engine. I could wait if it was certain to be released here in 2019 but i can't find confirmation of that anywhere so far.

A real possibility or even the GS?  2.0?

Yes, possibly, never took a proper look. However, I think the ZS is top value and similar price bracket as eco. HRV is nice but plus another 2-250k on top and then you have to add on the sat nav. When I looked at HRV when it was released it didn’t include sat nav and they wanted extra for it.

For me, I don’t use my car a great deal so the ZS price range is about right for me.

Just my view - but I think the old gear change issues, (even though they seem to be fixed now), will have impacted on resale prices for all EcoSports?  The C-HR will have much stronger residuals, but it's a bit small inside for an 'SUV' - so depends on if you need the practicality, and like the over-fussy exterior design details.

I'd go for the H-RV and forget about Sat Nav.  Google Maps on a phone is better than built in sat nav - and you need to pay for Sat Nav updates.  But if you want practicality, I think the X-Trail 2 WD at 1 million THB is unbeatable - it's significantly bigger, has a better ride and is from a class above the Ecosport and C-HR.

I have the X-Trail 4WD and am very pleased with it.  It comes with Sat Nav, but I prefer to use my phone.  The 2 WD drive X-Trail is significantly cheaper and has slightly more interior space due to the lack of a transmission tunnel, and the light colored interior of the 2 WD base model looks better than the interior from the more expensive models.  I can't really justify why I went for 4 WD, apart from the fact than I'm a bloke, so 'needed' it.

But the Eco Sport is 2 WD anyway, so I assume you didn't need all wheel drive?

A small SUV with quite a bit of room is the Honda BR-V which I rented a bit last year.  I looked at the time and it was a lower price than the HR-V and holds a lot of stuff in the back.  Not sure what is really different but the BR-V seems the better value option if you need room.  Don't know what options they have if you want to upgrade to NAV etc.

22 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Just my view - but I think the old gear change issues, (even though they seem to be fixed now), will have impacted on resale prices for all EcoSports?  The C-HR will have much stronger residuals, but it's a bit small inside for an 'SUV' - so depends on if you need the practicality, and like the over-fussy exterior design details.

I'd go for the H-RV and forget about Sat Nav.  Google Maps on a phone is better than built in sat nav - and you need to pay for Sat Nav updates.  But if you want practicality, I think the X-Trail 2 WD at 1 million THB is unbeatable - it's significantly bigger, has a better ride and is from a class above the Ecosport and C-HR.

I have the X-Trail 4WD and am very pleased with it.  It comes with Sat Nav, but I prefer to use my phone.  The 2 WD drive X-Trail is significantly cheaper and has slightly more interior space due to the lack of a transmission tunnel, and the light colored interior of the 2 WD base model looks better than the interior from the more expensive models.  I can't really justify why I went for 4 WD, apart from the fact than I'm a bloke, so 'needed' it.

But the Eco Sport is 2 WD anyway, so I assume you didn't need all wheel drive?

Well 'nice to have' but I'm not an 'off-roader' and cars I've had 4WD in I never used so it's not top of my list. What is important to me is SIZE I really don't like large vehicles (used to own a Vitara and regret selling it) and Rav 4 would be perfect but can't get them here. 

I think the Ecosport 1.5 engine is a bit under powered so was excited to learn of the 2.0 Storm version IF it goes on sale here. I'm tending to the ZS now but, again,  engine size?  I must say I think the ZS looks nicer than the Ecosport and the Toyota still looks like a larger Nissan Juke to me but, and this is a HUGE plus, Toyota's are so easy to fix and are ubiquitous.  

I'm a car nut and have either had or perused nearly every reasonably priced vehicle on the market.  If you want to stay under a million My clear favorite would be the CH-R Hybrid......Eco Sport is too small and has a tiny engine.  Have checked CH-R trunk and .golf clubs will fit in it along with three others.   I put down a deposit on a BRV but it was really cheap looking inside and I wanted a little more glam.  Size and price wise it would be second on my list.  You can now buy aftermarket NAV and camera systems.  We ended up with a Mazda 2 sedan due to price limitations and are quite pleased with it.....but I've had it over two years and am ready for something new......If you can go over a million get either the CRV or the X-Trail.   I like both but don't want that big of a vehicle. My Mazda costs me about 700 baht every ten days or so for gas.  That's something to think about as well.  Had a 2006 Ford Escape 3.0 and loved it but gas was probably more than three times what it is in the Mazda.  

22 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Agree. We just bought an MG-ZS. Looked at the Ecosport and didn't see anything special. Also looked at the CH-R and a couple of different Hondas. The deciding factor for us was the features for the money. We went for the middle one, D, because we couldn't see using a sun roof much. GPS, backup camera, and more space than a Mazda CX-3, for at  least ฿100,000 less than the Mazda similarly equipped. Test drove the ZS and found the power adequate for every day use for a couple in our 60s.

50 minutes ago, TGIR said:

I'm a car nut and have either had or perused nearly every reasonably priced vehicle on the market.  If you want to stay under a million My clear favorite would be the CH-R Hybrid......Eco Sport is too small and has a tiny engine.  Have checked CH-R trunk and .golf clubs will fit in it along with three others.   I put down a deposit on a BRV but it was really cheap looking inside and I wanted a little more glam.  Size and price wise it would be second on my list.  You can now buy aftermarket NAV and camera systems.  We ended up with a Mazda 2 sedan due to price limitations and are quite pleased with it.....but I've had it over two years and am ready for something new......If you can go over a million get either the CRV or the X-Trail.   I like both but don't want that big of a vehicle. My Mazda costs me about 700 baht every ten days or so for gas.  That's something to think about as well.  Had a 2006 Ford Escape 3.0 and loved it but gas was probably more than three times what it is in the Mazda.  

You didn't feel it looked like a bigger Juke?  I actually own a Juke now and I really don't like it. When i first bought it the funny door handles and style I thought I liked but I think it's pretty ugly now. I've disregarded Ecosport, thanks for input, and now it's ZS vs CH-R

OFcourse the Toyota chr hybrid runs 3.9 ltr/100 km, so fuelling just once a month?

With a gas tank of 43 ltr, you can do 1100 km, ok then its empty.

With the Fords i ve red in forum here, there are motor issues and Ford rejects responsibilities.

My son has a Ford and had 2  fuel nozzle problems, not Fords fault they said, had to pay for it.

So Ford? THey do have nice cars, but if you get motor issues and have them fixed and willing to go for a battle,

maybe Ford is nice. While the Toyota, specially the old corolla is one of the best running cars. Toyota didnt really change the engines? Would it mean they are still very reliable? I would probably go for the Toyota then. 

All though is said Mazda is also very reliable.

Im amazed by the MG it disappeared from market, but ok red its now a Chinese car and they bought the name.

I just got my C-HR few days ago : i feel so glad that i made the right choice for me. i tested all choices available and i am not gonna be hard on others brands but that Toyota Hybrid chr is just perfect and the kids love it!

The comfort is premium, audio and sat nav just real good and its still fun to drive, not a 'truck' at all and more flexible than the cx5 i liked in previous version.... Automatic radar cruise control is just awesome, can't live without it anymore and i go for 20km/l or 5l/100km on 'sport' mode all the time.. LOVE IT !

Next one will be MG ZS for Mme.. Nice car but no fun at all to drive.

The automatic gear box in the chr  is CVT for hybrid but compared to the Honda HRV it is much much better and also better than the mazda2 and 3 gearbox that screams like little girls each time you ask them to do their job horrible ?

If you like the chr design you'll love to drive it.

Agree. We just bought an MG-ZS. Looked at the Ecosport and didn't see anything special. Also looked at the CH-R and a couple of different Hondas. The deciding factor for us was the features for the money. We went for the middle one, D, because we couldn't see using a sun roof much. GPS, backup camera, and more space than a Mazda CX-3, for at  least ฿100,000 less than the Mazda similarly equipped. Test drove the ZS and found the power adequate for every day use for a couple in our 60s.

Yes, I looked at the middle one and asked if they could put the top model wheels on it as I didn’t fancy the sunroof on the top model either. They said no problem, just cost a little bit more. Everything else is the same spec.

American car companies are known for not having great customer support in America. Lived there for 43 years and read all the car mags etc and had many cars, but would never buy American because of their lack of customer support and the vehicles just didn't hold up. There used to be an ex-racing driver turned mechanic in the southern states called Smokey Yunnick, and he wrote and answered questions for either Mechanics Illustrated, or one of those. Smokey called it like it is, and often he stated that the problems with the American vehicles were inherent design defects, and the manufacturer would do nothing to address the issue. I remember especially the Cadillac with the V8 engine that was supposedly designed to also run on 4 or 6 or 8 cylinders and would shut off accordingly when needed. It was a disaster and didn't work properly, and Smokey said so repeatedly. His writing warned me off American cars. Sadly Smokey went to the Great Garage in the Sky some years ago.

Re CH-R vs Juke  -   At first I thought there was some similarity until we looked at one up close.  Nothing there but a passing resemblance.  The CH-R is "stylish" in my view and ugly in my wife's view.......I actually never even got in the Juke as I was turned off by the fact that style was everything and practical usage apparently not considered.

CH-R on the other hand, is Toyota built for quality (one would hope).  The Hybrid version is what I would take, not the base  model.  It has all the new electronic goodies I would want, specifically dual zone climate control, blind spot warning, 7 inch touchscreen, collision warning system, ten airbags, and more.  Also great colors instead of the two or three choices you get with most of the others.   Have fun selecting your new car and plz let know what you end up with.....I'm searching for my next one too, but have a house to sell before I can buy it.

Fairly certain the MG has a 4 speed transmission, not something you want.

Also lots of comments on thai forums about little things breaking very soon and it's hard to get fixes.. Just mundane things that should never break. Big hassle to own.

I think at the end it depends what you expect from your car.

I myself was looking at Honda HRV, Mazda CX-5, MG-GS, Toyota C-HR and a few others.

What was important for me, was some of the gimmicks like Blind spot and Navi. 

Because of this the Honda HRV which from looking was nice in my opinion, but not have the wished features (not available).

The Ford Ecosport in my opinion looks not good but the looking is always a personal decision.

At the end I had to make the decision between Mazda and Toyota. Yes the Toyota C-HR looks special but when you OK with the looks, then I think it's a great car.

When the Mazda would have a hybrid or the switch of cylinder option already (I think hybrid will come in 2020 for Mazda) then I would choose Mazda.

So my decision was to choose Toyota for 2-3 years and then look again if I want change or stay with the Toyota.

The only one I'd consider is the Madzda CX3.

The Ecosport is cheap and has tiny front seats.

CRV has crappy CVT.

Juke is fugly with awful rear seats.

The Toyota is also fugly and typical for a Toyota looks like it was designed by a group of people who have never met.

The MG looks nice from the outside, but engine and transmission is crappy and the interior is cheap.

Did I forget any?

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

16 hours ago, Mansell said:

American car companies are known for not having great customer support in America. Lived there for 43 years and read all the car mags etc and had many cars, but would never buy American because of their lack of customer support and the vehicles just didn't hold up. There used to be an ex-racing driver turned mechanic in the southern states called Smokey Yunnick, and he wrote and answered questions for either Mechanics Illustrated, or one of those. Smokey called it like it is, and often he stated that the problems with the American vehicles were inherent design defects, and the manufacturer would do nothing to address the issue. I remember especially the Cadillac with the V8 engine that was supposedly designed to also run on 4 or 6 or 8 cylinders and would shut off accordingly when needed. It was a disaster and didn't work properly, and Smokey said so repeatedly. His writing warned me off American cars. Sadly Smokey went to the Great Garage in the Sky some years ago.

This is very old info. I have been very impressed with the American cars I have rented in the past ten years. (This from a guy who just bought an MG, see above.) I think their near collapse ten years ago lit a fire under them, though they recognized the threat from the Japanese auto makers well before that. Ford and GM are well-made and a pleasure to drive. One of my favorites is the Ford Focus. Sadly, Chrysler doesn't impress. Jeep is the only reason they're still in business.

Just now, LawrenceN said:

This is very old info. I have been very impressed with the American cars I have rented in the past ten years. (This from a guy who just bought an MG, see above.) I think their near collapse ten years ago lit a fire under them, though they recognized the threat from the Japanese auto makers well before that. Ford and GM are well-made and a pleasure to drive. One of my favorites is the Ford Focus. Sadly, Chrysler doesn't impress. Jeep is the only reason they're still in business.

16 hours ago, Mansell said:

:offtopic:

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

:offtopic:

The OP asked about the Ford Ecosport. I thought his hit on American cars was unfair, based on old info. I chose the MG, but the Ford might be right for many, so the waters shouldn't muddied with 30-year-old info, IMO.

15 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The Toyota is also fugly and typical for a Toyota looks like it was designed by a group of people who have never met.

?  I think the C-HR Design Director should have said "jai yen, jai yen" to the team.  The brief seems to have been "include every design feature of every car built in the last 5 years".  It's like a four wheeled Yamaha Aerox.  But it's different and striking, so if you like the design - it's probably the best of the current small SUV crop.  CX3 and 5 look great - but small inside, and I think the OP wanted small exterior and practical interior - and that's the H-RV.

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

?  I think the C-HR Design Director should have said "jai yen, jai yen" to the team.  The brief seems to have been "include every design feature of every car built in the last 5 years".  It's like a four wheeled Yamaha Aerox.  But it's different and striking, so if you like the design - it's probably the best of the current small SUV crop.  CX3 and 5 look great - but small inside, and I think the OP wanted small exterior and practical interior - and that's the H-RV.

The C-HR is a new design body ok! But the engine technology is over 10 years old (out of date) same engines used from same as corrolla before? typical  of Toyota - where are the latest engines designs/updates? never happens!

18 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

The C-HR is a new design body ok! But the engine technology is over 10 years old (out of date) same engines used from same as corrolla before? typical  of Toyota - where are the latest engines designs/updates? never happens!

I do like the Hybrid bit of the C-HR I must say. I guess it's the eco-friendly electric car part in most of us but that can't be 10 years old surely?

Archived