Ford EcoSport vs Toyota C-HR

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

?  I think the C-HR Design Director should have said "jai yen, jai yen" to the team.  The brief seems to have been "include every design feature of every car built in the last 5 years".  It's like a four wheeled Yamaha Aerox.  But it's different and striking, so if you like the design - it's probably the best of the current small SUV crop.  CX3 and 5 look great - but small inside, and I think the OP wanted small exterior and practical interior - and that's the H-RV.

Yes the HRV does look nice but, and I don't know why, but I just don't like Hondas. Maybe I just need to get over this bias  lol.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I do like the Hybrid bit of the C-HR I must say. I guess it's the eco-friendly electric car part in most of us but that can't be 10 years old surely?

Don't know the specifics of the C-HR Hybrid components but Toyota have been making hybrids for a long time so no reason why not.  

On 6/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, BobBKK said:

Well 'nice to have' but I'm not an 'off-roader' and cars I've had 4WD in I never used so it's not top of my list. What is important to me is SIZE I really don't like large vehicles (used to own a Vitara and regret selling it) and Rav 4 would be perfect but can't get them here. 

I think the Ecosport 1.5 engine is a bit under powered so was excited to learn of the 2.0 Storm version IF it goes on sale here. I'm tending to the ZS now but, again,  engine size?  I must say I think the ZS looks nicer than the Ecosport and the Toyota still looks like a larger Nissan Juke to me but, and this is a HUGE plus, Toyota's are so easy to fix and are ubiquitous.  

I test drove the MG ZS. The engine (1.5L) is a let down and it only comes with a 4 speed automatic, which does not help at all. It lacks power. It's a shame as it offers a lot of functions for the money..if only it had a better engine with a better gearbox!

Try the MG GS model.  Less toys but the 1M baht 1.5L turbo has reasonable power, (165hp) and 7 speed dual clutch trans.    

The ZS 114hp 1.5L engine and 4sp auto are pretty poor in comparison.    

12 hours ago, Jitar said:

Try the MG GS model.  Less toys but the 1M baht 1.5L turbo has reasonable power, (165hp) and 7 speed dual clutch trans.    

or the 2.0? (218 hp)  the 4 WD version @  1.3m looks a possibility.

20 hours ago, Jitar said:

I was almost going to buy the MG Gs before the C-HR was released but few points was making me really thinking a lot before going to buy for Chinese branded car :

- quality of plastics and materials inside and outside are just ok, some are not bad at all, some are not good enough.

- the engine 1.5 turbo is OK, but not really good and enjoyable, powerboost comes often after you need it.

- the 7 speed transmission is OK, but sometimes it can make you angry and frustrated...

- the price of the car will drop dramatically if you consider to sale it after a couple years.

- after sale service is not reliable as any other main brand and will never be within the next 10 years.

- price is too high compared to a real brand name car like Toyota, Honda or Suzuki etc..

So i finally decided to go for C-HR and drove both versions, the benzine version which cost the same price as the MG GS 1.5 is much much more reliable and well finished (except that backspace is smaller and darker in the Toyota, but that is the only cons I could find), and once you're there why not add a little more to get the "Safety Sense" Toyota Pack, well : only available in top model hybrid in this country, never mind let's go for hybrid and be part of mankind evolution instead of holding into my old habits (driving in sport mode fueled with testosterone) and that is another game : trying to drink less gazoline as possible while still enjoying a decent powerfull drive in a very comfortable way,  C-HR has maybe the best seats available for now with lumbar support and suspension is excellent.. and it is still FUN to drive :)

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

or the 2.0? (218 hp)  the 4 WD version @  1.3m looks a possibility. 

Whaoo.. that is a lot of money for a Chinese car that lacks of refinment in many points, and you know you'll never be able to sale it for a normal price if you need to. I better go for the CX5 in that case: better engine, better quality, better services, can't be compared ! but it's true that the MG GS looks nice and drive correctly, if the price was interesting like Dacia in Europe that might be different and that is why the MG ZS is sold like cup noodles, price is good according to quality and functions, but for the MG GS 2.0, that is insane in my opinion.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, BobBKK said:

I do like the Hybrid bit of the C-HR I must say. I guess it's the eco-friendly electric car part in most of us but that can't be 10 years old surely?

Surely not ten years. More like 21. According to Wikipedia, the Toyota Prius has been "manufactured by the company since 1997."

I had a Nissan Juke the last 2 years.  Not a bad car.  When I saw the new Toyota CHR I knew I had to go check it out.  Test drive and it is a great car.  Smooth ride.  I decided to buy one.  I chose the Mid 1.8L because I do not need a Hybrid.  It can run on E85 so the cost of driving is good.  You can not really compare the Ford  to the CHR.  The CHR is more of a sport crossover than the others on the market like Honda HRV, Mazda.  Depends on what you like in the end.  I am completely satisfied with the CHR.  Looks and performance.

19 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Surely not ten years. More like 21. According to Wikipedia, the Toyota Prius has been "manufactured by the company since 1997."

I was talking 'Hybrid' i don't think elec/gas been around that long.

6 hours ago, spider1197 said:

I had a Nissan Juke the last 2 years.  Not a bad car.  When I saw the new Toyota CHR I knew I had to go check it out.  Test drive and it is a great car.  Smooth ride.  I decided to buy one.  I chose the Mid 1.8L because I do not need a Hybrid.  It can run on E85 so the cost of driving is good.  You can not really compare the Ford  to the CHR.  The CHR is more of a sport crossover than the others on the market like Honda HRV, Mazda.  Depends on what you like in the end.  I am completely satisfied with the CHR.  Looks and performance.

I have a Juke and really don't like it. After the novelty has worn off I prefer normal door handles and it has little power IMHO.  I'm still tossing and turning over CHR.

22 hours ago, Zendo said:

If you are not in a hurry wait for the toyota rush coming soon or the mitsubishi expander, that might suits your needs.

Thanks but they are both too big. If I had the choice I love the old Vitaras, Rav 4 etc.  A nice, small, compact 4WD  SHORT jeep-like thing is ideal for me but there is nothing like that here and import duties are murderous. 

6 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Thanks but they are both too big. If I had the choice I love the old Vitaras, Rav 4 etc.  A nice, small, compact 4WD  SHORT jeep-like thing is ideal for me but there is nothing like that here and import duties are murderous. 

Did you look at/consider Subaru XV?

10 hours ago, HidyHo said:

Did you look at/consider Subaru XV?

Hi yes and I quite liked it but servicing etc. is the issue here. I'd rather stick to the 'main' brands and i'll probably go for the Toyota Hybrid because of ease of servicing, I like the green electric bit, i liked the colour choice of a green (bit different than all the blacks, whites and silvers) and it's fairly cheap. Not over, over keen on the 'Juke' look but it might grow ion me - love the toys too.

6 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Hi yes and I quite liked it but servicing etc. is the issue here. I'd rather stick to the 'main' brands and i'll probably go for the Toyota Hybrid because of ease of servicing, I like the green electric bit, i liked the colour choice of a green (bit different than all the blacks, whites and silvers) and it's fairly cheap. Not over, over keen on the 'Juke' look but it might grow ion me - love the toys too.

The Subaru XV is a good car with a lot of power but it's really firm, not smooth enough on my opinion, you'll love to drive the CHR hybrid and will have a lot of fun on the road enjoying all the technologic toys ?

On 6/8/2018 at 4:58 PM, BobBKK said:

Those small high riding 4wd's are great and just the ticket for flooded Bangkok roads. Too bad they are not readily available here anymore. 

On June 5, 2018 at 9:55 AM, LawrenceN said:

This is very old info. I have been very impressed with the American cars I have rented in the past ten years. (This from a guy who just bought an MG, see above.) I think their near collapse ten years ago lit a fire under them, though they recognized the threat from the Japanese auto makers well before that. Ford and GM are well-made and a pleasure to drive. One of my favorites is the Ford Focus. Sadly, Chrysler doesn't impress. Jeep is the only reason they're still in business.

Renting a car isn't the same as owning one and dealing with the manufacturer. When we rent a car it is usually new and clean etc and our involvement with it is usually days or a few weeks. Not really enough time to start seeing the weaknesess. As for it being old news, what are you basing that on? I left California just 3 1/2 years ago so it isn't old news. Besides magazines for info, I had a very good friend who was rated the top independent mechanic in Los Angeles, and I had many conversations with him about American cars and foreign cars. Even people like Helen Mirren would bring their cars to him because he was honest and fair, and never ripped people off. And his knowledge was stretched over fifty years....he just retired.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:46 AM, BobBKK said:

The xv is the car I want to like....but it needs more power and a regular gearbox  (though the new cvt operates better than the last version), and service / parts are basically double that of a crv/cx5. 

On 6/9/2018 at 6:21 PM, mogandave said:

I saw a new C-HR today,  it was a turquoise/blue-green with a black roof.

I hated the styling and thought it looked tiny.

I actually loved that colour but agree the styling isn't really great but i'm probably going to go for the green one and get the C-HR as its best value and easy to service etc. 

I actually loved that colour but agree the styling isn't really great but i'm probably going to go for the green one and get the C-HR as its best value and easy to service etc. 

I liked the color,it was the shape (mostly the back) I hated.

Have you seen it in person? It looked pretty small.

That said, pretty hard to go wrong with a Toyota.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I liked the color,it was the shape (mostly the back) I hated.

Have you seen it in person? It looked pretty small.

That said, pretty hard to go wrong with a Toyota.

Yes I've seen one several times and being small is, actually, what i want. I didn't like the back too but, when all's said and done, it does look the better choice.

Thanks to all for input. I've made a decision and it's none of the ones we discussed. All the info has been most enlightening and I've rejected all of them for varying reasons.

Ecosport - underpowered

Sabaru - servicing etc.

MG - underpowered

Toyota (the very close near-winner) - I just can't live with the 'Juke' effect as I already have a Juke and don't like it much.

I've though long and hard and, as I enjoy going to craft markets and garden centers I'm going for a pick-up!  I know this thread was not about pick-ups but I just can't find the cross-over that was the right fit. I am getting a Ford Raptor in grey color (not silver). Great looks, 10 speed, 6 air bags, Navi and all that jazz. 1.699m a bit steep but within my budget. Glad to hear your views.

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Thanks to all for input. I've made a decision and it's none of the ones we discussed. All the info has been most enlightening and I've rejected all of them for varying reasons.

Ecosport - underpowered

Sabaru - servicing etc.

MG - underpowered

Toyota (the very close near-winner) - I just can't live with the 'Juke' effect as I already have a Juke and don't like it much.

I've though long and hard and, as I enjoy going to craft markets and garden centers I'm going for a pick-up!  I know this thread was not about pick-ups but I just can't find the cross-over that was the right fit. I am getting a Ford Raptor in grey color (not silver). Great looks, 10 speed, 6 air bags, Navi and all that jazz. 1.699m a bit steep but within my budget. Glad to hear your views.

maxresdefault.jpg

A Ford Raptor ?? Are u seriuous ??

That's funny ! Thanks for the entertemning post ! And have fun in the parkings mall with the biggest truck ever made... 

You made my day, thanks, lol ?

Ecosport - underpowered
Sabaru - servicing etc.
MG - underpowered

maxresdefault.jpg.9d7349f9bc52e68f87ce2befe4848fd1.jpg

What engine?

Archived