Ford EcoSport vs Toyota C-HR

7 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I thought you had a Toyota?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Yes, l  have a pickup which does exactly the job it was designed for, it does that admirably, and still is at 11 years old..:thumbsup:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You cant get around much then.The roads are quite nice  if you do.

I have driven/rode all over Thailand but obviously different roads to you. I was also in hospital last month following a feral dog running out in front of me and to put all my ‘cards on the table’, I used to tow caravans in UK.
Safe trips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I have driven/rode all over Thailand but obviously different roads to you. I was also in hospital last month following a feral dog running out in front of me and to put all my ‘cards on the table’, I used to tow caravans in UK.
Safe trips!

I think one should state ones yearly KMs before ones worth listening too., I have done 35 K a year  for 25 here.Its not that bad, its knowing the shit areas, Buriram and points NE ish.:violin:

I think one should state ones yearly KMs before ones worth listening too., I have done 35 K a year  for 25 here.Its not that bad, its knowing the shit areas, Buriram and points NE ish.violin.gif&key=477ce93ce0753a9247140ba7d00a91c977304c61486ed488d4d75219ad8cf329

There you go, you have just described the areas that I DO travel in, mind you it’s better than Brixton!

Back on-topic, I don’t like the look of the Toyota as it seems very claustrophobic when in the rear seats.

My apologies if someone's said this already - there's a lot of posts here and I don't have time to read them all.

Just a couple of points you may wish to consider when you are looking at cars with built in Sat Nav.  I rented a car with a built in Sat Nav but I found its central location difficult to get along with - it seemed to take my eyes off the road for 2 long.  I much prefer having my Sat Nav in the bottom right hand corner of my screen but the built in ones all seem to be central. For me its far easier to see there and rather that taking my eyes of the road I'm looking at it over the Sat Nav.

I've used Google maps and although its OK and free - you're screwed if you are following it through a tricky bit and a call comes through.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

My apologies if someone's said this already - there's a lot of posts here and I don't have time to read them all.

Just a couple of points you may wish to consider when you are looking at cars with built in Sat Nav.  I rented a car with a built in Sat Nav but I found its central location difficult to get along with - it seemed to take my eyes off the road for 2 long.  I much prefer having my Sat Nav in the bottom right hand corner of my screen but the built in ones all seem to be central. For me its far easier to see there and rather that taking my eyes of the road I'm looking at it over the Sat Nav.

I've used Google maps and although its OK and free - you're screwed if you are following it through a tricky bit and a call comes through.

Just turn the sound on, who looks at screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, KhaoYai said:

I have tested the build in Navi and compared the google navi app in Bangkok. 

Example: When I go to Tollway at Silom and want go to Rachtadapisek, then somehow the google Navi want that I leave at Yaotin road only to do a u-turn and then go back to Tollway, which would result in 50 baht extra and a few extra Minutes depending on the traffic.

That was the only example in 2 weeks driving, where google map was not that good. In the rest of the time I think it was about the same.

What I like more on the Build in Navi, is that on it shows me often which line I can or have to use. Which google not shows yet, and this is very comfortable, when you not know the area. As sometimes you have 5 lanes, and you not sure which lanes are used for turn right. Unfortunately not show this information always. But still a lot of the time. Many times for turn right the most right lane was much slower than the second or middle road (of 5 road). This because the most right lane was used a U-Turn as well… and the next 2 lines are used for turn right. This Information also can help a  lot.

One important point which is important on build in navis, is that they update themselve. Else it can happen, that in 1-2 years it's not usable that good anymore and then yes the google map will definitiv be the better solution. 

For me at the moment the Build in navi is the better solution.

About Toyota C-HR I am happy with that car and yes the engine not has that much power, but enough for drive arround in Bangkok or as well to other provinces. As you can't drive with 200 KM/H anyway.

My wife often reminds me about the limit, but i often find its nothing to do with safety, just easy revenues, so i just drive at a safe speed for the prevailing conditions at that time of day.The Camera pics take about a month to arrive.100% night shots, superb clarity.500 a snap.[emoji705][emoji440]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I can’t believe people actually recommend chinese MG brand cars just because they are cheaper. We can’t even trust quality of consumer electronics from chinese companies, how can people trust chinese cars with their life? Not to mention lack of chinese quality assurance and quality checks!

Just a short update and thank you for all your comments. I could just not find my ideal choice and ended up rejecting the Ecosport (for the reasons many of you outlined) and I could just could not bear the ugly Toyota even though i tried to convince myself that she wasn't too bad but like some ugly date you are embarrassed to be seen with I felt the same about the C-HR. I have a Juke already and don't like it and this is the Juke's ugly grown-up sister.

I wanted a combination of fun, practical use and could not find it.  A Rav4 or Shogun would have been perfect. Anyway I decided to go right back to the drawing board. I currently have two cars, the ugly juke and a great Isuzu 4x4. I decided to ditch the Juke, keep the Isuzu and buy something purely for fun so I bought a mini cooper sport (for that weekend fun gig). 

I started this thread genuinely 99% certain I would buy the Ecosport or the C-HR but comments, research and soul-searching have led me to believe I just can't have it 'all' in one vehicle here in Thailand.

No flames please everyone needs to be happy with their choice that fits their lifestyle. For me practical Isuzu Platinum 4x4 for those trips to markets, rainy days and long hauls and zippy fun with my Cooper for city visits with it's heavenly parking. Best wishes to all and stay safe.

I can’t believe people actually recommend chinese MG brand cars just because they are cheaper. We can’t even trust quality of consumer electronics from chinese companies, how can people trust chinese cars with their life? Not to mention lack of chinese quality assurance and quality checks!

I bought the MG ZS last week (฿769K without the sunroof, but with some nicer wheels) and it hasn’t fallen apart yet.....still going strong [emoji15]

I had a Honda Jazz for nearly 12 years and that was a great servant, never any issues apart from the expected maintenance etc. I just couldn’t justify spending close to, or over ฿1 million on a vehicle that doesn’t get used anywhere near everyday.

The MG ZS will do the job and serve its purpose in my case, and if it falls to bits I’ll let you know!!

On 7/7/2018 at 8:37 PM, muratremix said:

The computer you are using will have Chinese parts, regardless of make, probably most rides too. The MG is designed in the UK the last I heard...:stoner:

47 minutes ago, transam said:

The computer you are using will have Chinese parts, regardless of make, probably most rides too. The MG is designed in the UK the last I heard...:stoner:

The computer we're using has maybe taiwanese parts, or maybe it is assembled in China but it is not from a Chinese company. You need to understand quality of products coming from Chinese companies and Foreign companies producing products in China are not same.

You can buy a nice car design from car designers all over the world, a nice design does not decrease car fatalities in accidents.

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

The computer we're using has maybe taiwanese parts, or maybe it is assembled in China but it is not from a Chinese company. You need to understand quality of products coming from Chinese companies and Foreign companies producing products in China are not same.

You can buy a nice car design from car designers all over the world, a nice design does not decrease car fatalities in accidents.

I never mentioned Chinese company, l mentioned Chinese parts..

Where does fatalities come into the equation..

I never mentioned Chinese company, l mentioned Chinese parts..

Where does fatalities come into the equation..

I feel like we have been transported back to the ‘70’s and talking about Japanese ‘rice-burners’ against the British motorcycle industry. Look how well that ended up!

7 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I feel like we have been transported back to the ‘70’s and talking about Japanese ‘rice-burners’ against the British motorcycle industry. Look how well that ended up!

That brought back a memory...Must have been 1967, needed a timing chain for a 1959 Mini, back then it was go to the nearest BMC spares warehouse. Was surpised that my new chain was in a wrapper with made in Japan on it...

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Chinese must have made the first ignition system for Mini Minors, they stopped when it rained, i recall.

No they didn't....Ignition was protected from water on Mini's...:stoner:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

No they didn't....Ignition was protected from water on Mini's...:stoner:

Well Mr Know it All they did in Norway at first ,until they offered a free Condom Type rubber cover , n splash shield, i fetched my Moms back home a few times till they did.Get your facts right.!!

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Well Mr Know it All they did in Norway at first ,until they offered a free Condom Type rubber cover , n splash shield, i fetched my Moms back home a few times till they did.Get your facts right.!!

Perhaps the gaiters were not given to Norway eh.....Strange how Mini Coopers from way back when won rallies eh....Oh, my 1959 had gaiters from factory....Well I think it did...?

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps the gaiters were not given to Norway eh.....Strange how Mini Coopers from way back when won rallies eh....Oh, my 1959 had gaiters from factory....Well I think it did...?

Nice Try, but No Cigar.!!

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Nice Try, but No Cigar.!!

Weeeeeell, the Mini, Austin/Morris 1100 and the fab Maxi all had the same setup with no real ploblem, though a a tin of WD40 did help out in extreme cases....:stoner:

There was a plastic square water shield that went between the distributor and the grill. The rubber gaiters were an aftermarket part. Very useful on off road vehicles. The Chinese never made any ignition systems for the mini minors. If they did , they might have worked better. Lucas made the ignitions.

Archived