Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

TerraplaneGuy

Hi All,

Anyone renewed a 5 year driver's licence recently in Bangkok (probably at the Land Transport Office at Sukhumvit 99/1)?  Looking for an update please.  I'll be renewing both my car and motorbike licences.

Questions:

1. How long before expiry can I go to renew it?  

2. I hear I have to watch a one hour video and that it's shown only at 9:30 AM and 1:00 PM.  True?

3. Is this list of documents complete:

i Photocopy of Passport pages showing identity and visa/visa extension stamp
    ii [Work Permit  - I don't have one]

iii Original Residence Certificate from Thai Immigration or your Embassy not more than 30 days old (if you do not have a Work Permit – see item ii)
    iv Photocopy front and back of expiring 5 year Thai driving license (have original available for examination)

Correct? Anything else? I've seen people mention a medical certificate but some say it's not needed.

Thanks!

TG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the above is correct, not sure about having to watch a VDO though,

no need for work permit, letter of residency will do, you can renew a month before expiry, and as long as a year AFTER expiry with no penalty, but if you get stopped by police you're on your own...

One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday in 2024  - just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

Cheers! 

You could renew up to three months before expiry, but as mentioned it's wise to go a (couple of) day(s) after expiry to get almost 6 years.

Proof of residence is required.

Medical certificate is not needed for "5 yr to 5 yr" extension.

Watching video is very likely but can't comment on this Bangkok office.

Be there early after opening if possible (don't expect a quick in/out).

At my office took me about 3 hours.

Video watching was very "casual", sloppy.

And of course the physical tests have to be done again (reaction test, eye sight tests).

2 hours ago, maisodni said:

For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

Similar with Thai ID card (8th birthday, 8 to 9 years).

I did not have to watch the video last month but I did have to do the three tests for stopping, lining up the two rods and eye color side vision test. I had a copy of my drivers license but they never took the copy from me. Gave them my original license. Sign all your passport page copies and wear long pants. Have residency certificate and process from entry to exit took me about 1 hour 25 minutes and I went on a Wednesday or Tuesday around 1:30 pm. Lady at the front will check all your documents before you go to window number 9 to start the process. 

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You could renew up to three months before expiry, but as mentioned it's wise to go a (couple of) day(s) after expiry to get almost 6 years.

Proof of residence is required.

Medical certificate is not needed for "5 yr to 5 yr" extension.

Watching video is very likely but can't comment on this Bangkok office.

Be there early after opening if possible (don't expect a quick in/out).

At my office took me about 3 hours.

Video watching was very "casual", sloppy.

And of course the physical tests have to be done again (reaction test, eye sight tests).

Similar with Thai ID card (8th birthday, 8 to 9 years).

I will be changing from 2 year to 5 year soon, is the medical certificate needed ?, or is it up to the Immigration office ?

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I will be changing from 2 year to 5 year soon, is the medical certificate needed ?, or is it up to the Immigration office ?

From 2 yr to 5 yr a medical is required and of course DLT (Department of Land Transport) is the office to show up.

Immigration is only involved for a residence certificate (if no other proof possible).

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From 2 yr to 5 yr a medical is required and of course DLT (Department of Land Transport) is the office to show up.

Immigration is only involved for a residence certificate (if no other proof possible).

Okay thanks.

Yes I meant DLT, was having a senior moment, seem to be having a lot of them recently ?

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks.

Yes I meant DLT, was having a senior moment, seem to be having a lot of them recently ?

In BKK medical certificate required for 2 year renewal to 5 year license. Beware with the two year license renewing to the five year license you must renew the 2 year license before the expiration date of the 2 year license. You cannot wait to renew after the expiration date of the 2 to 5 year license like you can for the 5 year renewal to another 5 year license. 

You mentioned that you don't have a work permit. Are you holding a 'non-immigrant' visa ?

i.e. Type B, Type O ?.... If so you can renew for a 5 year Driving licence. 

If you hold a Tourist Visa, Elite Visa entered with a Visa Exempt Stamp you can only get the 2 year Temporary Driving Licence.

• 3 months later...

My problem is I am very soon renewimg my 2 y - 5y and my old int. licence as well as EU Swedish licance is out of date about 6 month ago. I can't even by law get a new EU and int. Licence until I law fully move back and register I än Sweden. Att the moment I am reg. Here for avoiding double taxations. Will it be a problem with my original licenses out of date? The Thai licence 2 y finishes in mid oct 2018. Hua hin. 

9 hours ago, djingen said:

The Thai licence 2 y finishes in mid oct 2018

I am not sure whether I understand your post.

But - if you want to extend your 2 yr Thai license to 5 yr license - why do you care about Swedish or international license?

Not needed.

Passport, proof of residence, old 2 yr license and health certificate is what you need at the DLT.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I am not sure whether I understand your post.

But - if you want to extend your 2 yr Thai license to 5 yr license - why do you care about Swedish or international license?

Not needed.

Passport, proof of residence, old 2 yr license and health certificate is what you need at the DLT.

Oh thank u I read I also needed a valid international licence as well. If not this is just great news thank u 

18 minutes ago, djingen said:

Oh thank u I read I also needed a valid international licence as well.

From the moment that you have a Thai DL there is no more need for foreign licenses etc.

That's only for the first application of converting foreign license to Thai license.

Just renewed mine.

You'll have to watch a 1hr video and at least in my DLT there was like 3 or 4 different times available, the last one was at 1:30PM.

I guess the time changes depending of each DLT, you should give them a call or go there before to check the timetable in advance, you don't want to be there and waste 2 hours because you went in at the wrong time.

Maybe i was lucky, but i arrived there around 12:45 and i was out at 3:00.

At the same time there was a Canadian guy who arrived early morning around 10 left at 2:45 (he was renewing his DL just like me)

So i would think it goes faster when you'r in the "last batch" for the video viewing.

Arrived / waited 30 minutes for them to fill my details in their system

Went to eye / depth tests : 5 minutes out

Waited 15-20 minutes for the video to start

Watched the video 1 hour

Went out to eat for 20 minutes, came back, BANG number 471 was called, i was 475.

Picked up the DL, about 10-15 minutes (somebody had screwed up my last name, they had to correct it in their system).

PS : Send my regards to Miss Manao !

2 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

talking about phyiscal fitness test and 2 days training for a renewal, doh !?

The text that you refer to describes a renewal/extension but doing a new license from scratch.

It looks quite consistent with the rules/procedures known.

And it indeed takes two days to do.

But renewal also requires the usual reaction and eye sight tests.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

The text does not describe a renewal/extension but doing a new license from scratch.

It looks quite consistent with the rules/procedures known.

And it indeed takes two days to do.

But renewal also requires the usual reaction and eye sight tests.

Oh okay.

Cause i tried to translate the page with google and it was talking about renewal, i was pretty sure the translation was doomed !

2 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Oh okay.

Cause i tried to translate the page with google and it was talking about renewal, i was pretty sure the translation was doomed !

"The medical certificate indicates that the applicant has no condom."

At least not perfect :cheesy:

Does anyone renewed your 2 year license to 5 years license before 1 year of it expired?

my 2 years license is valid until  November 2019, but can i go to office and get 5 years license now? 

When I got my 2 year I was told ( at the DLT ) that I could renew after 1 year to a 5 year.

I thought that was strange and queried it, she repeated that it could be renewed after one year.

I didn’t but am curious if that is true, and why ??

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

Anyone renewed a 5 year driver's licence recently in Bangkok (probably at the Land Transport Office at Sukhumvit 99/1)?  Looking for an update please. 

Correct? Anything else?

I went here last year and was turned away (like a schoolkid) because even though my docs were in order I was wearing short trousers. Told to come back wearing long pants only.

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I got my 2 year I was told ( at the DLT ) that I could renew after 1 year to a 5 year.

I thought that was strange and queried it, she repeated that it could be renewed after one year.

I didn’t but am curious if that is true, and why ??

True and well documented on their rule set.

You have up to one year after expiry to renew without additional effort.

True and well documented on their rule set.
You have up to one year after expiry to renew without additional effort.

Okay thanks.

I actually understood it that I could renew my 2 year for a 5 year after being 1 year into my 2 year license.
That’s what I thought strange !!

But I see from your reply ( to me and another poster) that you can renew 3 months before and up to 1 year after it’s expiry date.

Now that makes sense, I was understanding the lady at DLT totally wrong.

Another senior moment [emoji20]

On 6/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, maisodni said:

One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday in 2024  - just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

Cheers! 

Is this still true - I was told that if you renew after your license has expired, the new expiry date will be 5 years from the date you apply. Can anyone confirm ?

On 10/6/2018 at 6:28 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks.

I actually understood it that I could renew my 2 year for a 5 year after being 1 year into my 2 year license.
That’s what I thought strange !!

But I see from your reply ( to me and another poster) that you can renew 3 months before and up to 1 year after it’s expiry date.

Now that makes sense, I was understanding the lady at DLT totally wrong.

Another senior moment emoji20.png

If you have a two year license and want a 5 year license make sure you renew the 2 year license BEFORE it expires. If you renew your 2 year license after it expires you will simply get another two year license and not a 5 year license.  Different rules for 2 and 5 year license renewals. 

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

If you have a two year license and want a 5 year license make sure you renew the 2 year license BEFORE it expires. If you renew your 2 year license after it expires you will simply get another two year license and not a 5 year license.  Different rules for 2 and 5 year license renewals. 

Okay thanks,

That’s good info ????

Archived