Jump to content
New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 21 January 2019 00:16
TerraplaneGuy

Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Anyone renewed a 5 year driver's licence recently in Bangkok (probably at the Land Transport Office at Sukhumvit 99/1)?  Looking for an update please.  I'll be renewing both my car and motorbike licences.

Questions:

1. How long before expiry can I go to renew it?  

2. I hear I have to watch a one hour video and that it's shown only at 9:30 AM and 1:00 PM.  True?

3. Is this list of documents complete:

    i Photocopy of Passport pages showing identity and visa/visa extension stamp
    ii [Work Permit  - I don't have one]

    iii Original Residence Certificate from Thai Immigration or your Embassy not more than 30 days old (if you do not have a Work Permit – see item ii)
    iv Photocopy front and back of expiring 5 year Thai driving license (have original available for examination)

 

Correct? Anything else? I've seen people mention a medical certificate but some say it's not needed.

 

Thanks!

TG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the above is correct, not sure about having to watch a VDO though,

no need for work permit, letter of residency will do, you can renew a month before expiry, and as long as a year AFTER expiry with no penalty, but if you get stopped by police you're on your own...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday in 2024  - just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

 

Cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could renew up to three months before expiry, but as mentioned it's wise to go a (couple of) day(s) after expiry to get almost 6 years.

 

Proof of residence is required.

 

Medical certificate is not needed for "5 yr to 5 yr" extension.

 

Watching video is very likely but can't comment on this Bangkok office.

Be there early after opening if possible (don't expect a quick in/out).

At my office took me about 3 hours.

Video watching was very "casual", sloppy.

 

And of course the physical tests have to be done again (reaction test, eye sight tests).

 

2 hours ago, maisodni said:

For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

Similar with Thai ID card (8th birthday, 8 to 9 years).


 

Edited by KhunBENQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have to watch the video, tell them you understand Thai and then you don’t have to wait around so long. There were less English screenings when I went. You’ll get the gist of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not have to watch the video last month but I did have to do the three tests for stopping, lining up the two rods and eye color side vision test. I had a copy of my drivers license but they never took the copy from me. Gave them my original license. Sign all your passport page copies and wear long pants. Have residency certificate and process from entry to exit took me about 1 hour 25 minutes and I went on a Wednesday or Tuesday around 1:30 pm. Lady at the front will check all your documents before you go to window number 9 to start the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You could renew up to three months before expiry, but as mentioned it's wise to go a (couple of) day(s) after expiry to get almost 6 years.

 

Proof of residence is required.

 

Medical certificate is not needed for "5 yr to 5 yr" extension.

 

Watching video is very likely but can't comment on this Bangkok office.

Be there early after opening if possible (don't expect a quick in/out).

At my office took me about 3 hours.

Video watching was very "casual", sloppy.

 

And of course the physical tests have to be done again (reaction test, eye sight tests).

 

Similar with Thai ID card (8th birthday, 8 to 9 years).


 

I will be changing from 2 year to 5 year soon, is the medical certificate needed ?, or is it up to the Immigration office ?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I will be changing from 2 year to 5 year soon, is the medical certificate needed ?, or is it up to the Immigration office ?

From 2 yr to 5 yr a medical is required and of course DLT (Department of Land Transport) is the office to show up.

Immigration is only involved for a residence certificate (if no other proof possible).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From 2 yr to 5 yr a medical is required and of course DLT (Department of Land Transport) is the office to show up.

Immigration is only involved for a residence certificate (if no other proof possible).

Okay thanks.

 Yes I meant DLT, was having a senior moment, seem to be having a lot of them recently ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks.

 Yes I meant DLT, was having a senior moment, seem to be having a lot of them recently ?

In BKK medical certificate required for 2 year renewal to 5 year license. Beware with the two year license renewing to the five year license you must renew the 2 year license before the expiration date of the 2 year license. You cannot wait to renew after the expiration date of the 2 to 5 year license like you can for the 5 year renewal to another 5 year license. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mentioned that you don't have a work permit. Are you holding a 'non-immigrant' visa ?

i.e. Type B, Type O ?.... If so you can renew for a 5 year Driving licence. 

If you hold a Tourist Visa, Elite Visa entered with a Visa Exempt Stamp you can only get the 2 year Temporary Driving Licence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is I am very soon renewimg my 2 y - 5y and my old int. licence as well as EU Swedish licance is out of date about 6 month ago. I can't even by law get a new EU and int. Licence until I law fully move back and register I än Sweden. Att the moment I am reg. Here for avoiding double taxations. Will it be a problem with my original licenses out of date? The Thai licence 2 y finishes in mid oct 2018. Hua hin. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, djingen said:

The Thai licence 2 y finishes in mid oct 2018

I am not sure whether I understand your post.

But - if you want to extend your 2 yr Thai license to 5 yr license - why do you care about Swedish or international license?

Not needed.

 

Passport, proof of residence, old 2 yr license and health certificate is what you need at the DLT.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 11:20 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I am not sure whether I understand your post.

But - if you want to extend your 2 yr Thai license to 5 yr license - why do you care about Swedish or international license?

Not needed.

 

Passport, proof of residence, old 2 yr license and health certificate is what you need at the DLT.

Oh thank u I read I also needed a valid international licence as well. If not this is just great news thank u 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, djingen said:

Oh thank u I read I also needed a valid international licence as well.

From the moment that you have a Thai DL there is no more need for foreign licenses etc.

That's only for the first application of converting foreign license to Thai license.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×