New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 20 January 2019 23:53
TerraplaneGuy

Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

Just renewed mine.

You'll have to watch a 1hr video and at least in my DLT there was like 3 or 4 different times available, the last one was at 1:30PM.

I guess the time changes depending of each DLT, you should give them a call or go there before to check the timetable in advance, you don't want to be there and waste 2 hours because you went in at the wrong time.

Maybe i was lucky, but i arrived there around 12:45 and i was out at 3:00.

At the same time there was a Canadian guy who arrived early morning around 10 left at 2:45 (he was renewing his DL just like me)

So i would think it goes faster when you'r in the "last batch" for the video viewing.

Arrived / waited 30 minutes for them to fill my details in their system

Went to eye / depth tests : 5 minutes out

Waited 15-20 minutes for the video to start

Watched the video 1 hour

Went out to eat for 20 minutes, came back, BANG number 471 was called, i was 475.

Picked up the DL, about 10-15 minutes (somebody had screwed up my last name, they had to correct it in their system).

PS : Send my regards to Miss Manao !

Edited by Pepper9187

2 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

talking about phyiscal fitness test and 2 days training for a renewal, doh !?

The text that you refer to describes a renewal/extension but doing a new license from scratch.

It looks quite consistent with the rules/procedures known.

And it indeed takes two days to do.

But renewal also requires the usual reaction and eye sight tests.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

The text does not describe a renewal/extension but doing a new license from scratch.

It looks quite consistent with the rules/procedures known.

And it indeed takes two days to do.

But renewal also requires the usual reaction and eye sight tests.

Oh okay.

Cause i tried to translate the page with google and it was talking about renewal, i was pretty sure the translation was doomed !

2 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

Oh okay.

Cause i tried to translate the page with google and it was talking about renewal, i was pretty sure the translation was doomed !

"The medical certificate indicates that the applicant has no condom."

At least not perfect :cheesy:

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

"The medical certificate indicates that the applicant has no condom."

At least not perfect :cheesy:

Ahahahaha i didn't see that one at first !! Nice !!

Does anyone renewed your 2 year license to 5 years license before 1 year of it expired?

my 2 years license is valid until  November 2019, but can i go to office and get 5 years license now? 

Does anyone renewed your 2 year license to 5 years license before 1 year of it expired?

my 2 years license is valid until  November 2019, but can i go to office and get 5 years license now? 

When I got my 2 year I was told ( at the DLT ) that I could renew after 1 year to a 5 year.

I thought that was strange and queried it, she repeated that it could be renewed after one year.

I didn’t but am curious if that is true, and why ??

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

Anyone renewed a 5 year driver's licence recently in Bangkok (probably at the Land Transport Office at Sukhumvit 99/1)?  Looking for an update please. 

Correct? Anything else?

I went here last year and was turned away (like a schoolkid) because even though my docs were in order I was wearing short trousers. Told to come back wearing long pants only.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thanos said:

No.

Three months before is the tolerance period.

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I got my 2 year I was told ( at the DLT ) that I could renew after 1 year to a 5 year.

I thought that was strange and queried it, she repeated that it could be renewed after one year.

I didn’t but am curious if that is true, and why ??

True and well documented on their rule set.

You have up to one year after expiry to renew without additional effort.

True and well documented on their rule set.
You have up to one year after expiry to renew without additional effort.

Okay thanks.

I actually understood it that I could renew my 2 year for a 5 year after being 1 year into my 2 year license.
That’s what I thought strange !!

But I see from your reply ( to me and another poster) that you can renew 3 months before and up to 1 year after it’s expiry date.

Now that makes sense, I was understanding the lady at DLT totally wrong.

Another senior moment

On 6/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, maisodni said:

One tip:  Your existing license expires on your birthday.  Make sure that you go to renew your license a few days AFTER it expires.  You can still renew for several weeks after the license expires. If you do it this way, your license will expire on your birthday in 2024  - just short of SIX years in the future.  For some reason, their system  counts forward-only, to your fifth future birthday .

Cheers! 

Is this still true - I was told that if you renew after your license has expired, the new expiry date will be 5 years from the date you apply. Can anyone confirm ?

On 10/6/2018 at 6:28 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay thanks.

I actually understood it that I could renew my 2 year for a 5 year after being 1 year into my 2 year license.
That’s what I thought strange !!

But I see from your reply ( to me and another poster) that you can renew 3 months before and up to 1 year after it’s expiry date.

Now that makes sense, I was understanding the lady at DLT totally wrong.

Another senior moment emoji20.png

If you have a two year license and want a 5 year license make sure you renew the 2 year license BEFORE it expires. If you renew your 2 year license after it expires you will simply get another two year license and not a 5 year license.  Different rules for 2 and 5 year license renewals. 

Edited by Wake Up

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

If you have a two year license and want a 5 year license make sure you renew the 2 year license BEFORE it expires. If you renew your 2 year license after it expires you will simply get another two year license and not a 5 year license.  Different rules for 2 and 5 year license renewals. 

Okay thanks,

That’s good info 👍