New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 20 January 2019 23:47
TerraplaneGuy

Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

On 10/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, MJKT2014 said:

I went here last year and was turned away (like a schoolkid) because even though my docs were in order I was wearing short trousers. Told to come back wearing long pants only.

Serves you right.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
On 10/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, MJKT2014 said:

I went here last year and was turned away (like a schoolkid) because even though my docs were in order I was wearing short trousers. Told to come back wearing long pants only.

Serves you right.

Warning : Unnecessary post coming ;

AHAhahahAHahAHhAha

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2018 at 12:21 PM, ezzra said:

... you can renew a month before expiry, and as long as a year AFTER expiry with no penalty, but if you get stopped by police you're on your own...

Is this still the case, that you can renew up to a year after expiry with no penalty?  I saw the posts that said if you wait til a bit after your birthday (expiry date) you effectively get an additional year, but I want to make sure there's no downside to letting it expire before renewing.  Are we sure it's OK?

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Is this still the case, that you can renew up to a year after expiry with no penalty?  I saw the posts that said if you wait til a bit after your birthday (expiry date) you effectively get an additional year, but I want to make sure there's no downside to letting it expire before renewing.  Are we sure it's OK?

Yes, it is.

Trust me, i renewed mine 2 month ago and it was expired since 1 year (-) 1 day, it expired on 25 September 2017 and i renewed it on 24 September 2018.

No "no-no" no question asked.

Same price, no penalty, can't recall precisely but it's like 120 baht or something (for motorcycle D.L at least)

And you get a 2 year temporary D.L now, not 1 year like before.

And no ... i didn't drive with an expired D.L, i was away + didn't drive until i had my new DL when i was back.

Edited by Pepper9187

10 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Yes, it is.

Trust me, i renewed mine 2 month ago and it was expired since 1 year (-) 1 day ...

Same price, no penalty ...

And you get a 2 year temporary D.L now, not 1 year like before.

Thanks - but to be clear, I'll be renewing a 5 year licence (actually two of them, car and motorbike), but I see you refer to a 2 year temporary.  Does that make a difference?

Thanks - but to be clear, I'll be renewing a 5 year licence (actually two of them, car and motorbike), but I see you refer to a 2 year temporary.  Does that make a difference?

Doesn’t apply to 5 year but anyone renewing a 2 year license AFTER the license has expired will only be issued another 2 year instead of a 5.
Not a problem for yourself but good info for some ( me ) .

Source: post #29

On 10/5/2018 at 4:36 PM, Pepper9187 said:

Just renewed mine.

You'll have to watch a 1hr video and at least in my DLT there was like 3 or 4 different times available, the last one was at 1:30PM.

I guess the time changes depending of each DLT, you should give them a call or go there before to check the timetable in advance, you don't want to be there and waste 2 hours because you went in at the wrong time.

Maybe i was lucky, but i arrived there around 12:45 and i was out at 3:00.

At the same time there was a Canadian guy who arrived early morning around 10 left at 2:45 (he was renewing his DL just like me)

So i would think it goes faster when you'r in the "last batch" for the video viewing.

Arrived / waited 30 minutes for them to fill my details in their system

Went to eye / depth tests : 5 minutes out

Waited 15-20 minutes for the video to start

Watched the video 1 hour

Went out to eat for 20 minutes, came back, BANG number 471 was called, i was 475.

Picked up the DL, about 10-15 minutes (somebody had screwed up my last name, they had to correct it in their system).

PS : Send my regards to Miss Manao !

You give a lot of good information and thanks but you do not tell what DLT office it is all relative to. Please tell the location you used, thanks.

4 minutes ago, BobTH said:

You give a lot of good information and thanks but you do not tell what DLT office it is all relative to. Please tell the location you used, thanks.

Thanks !

I went there : DLT area 2.

https://goo.gl/maps/CAAM4KduacA2

It's the closest to where i live, i can't tell for the others DLT regarding the video timetable.

When u go there, whichever DLT, maybe if you can take a picture of the timetable and post it somewhere would be nice.

Edited by Pepper9187
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Wake Up said:

I did not have to watch the video last month but I did have to do the three tests for stopping, lining up the two rods and eye color side vision test. I had a copy of my drivers license but they never took the copy from me. Gave them my original license. Sign all your passport page copies and wear long pants. Have residency certificate and process from entry to exit took me about 1 hour 25 minutes and I went on a Wednesday or Tuesday around 1:30 pm. Lady at the front will check all your documents before you go to window number 9 to start the process. 

What location was this information from, thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Difference for the process / paperwork ? Not at all.

I couldnt get the 5 years because i was on tourist visa that time (i guess?)

One piece of advice i can offer as i made the mistake. Dont go in the afternoon thinking you will miss the morning scrum!. I turned up at 1.30pm and flew through all the tests, feeling very happy with myself thinking i would be done and dusted within a couple of hours until they informed me i would need to come back in the morning to watch the safety video. Last showing is at 1pm. (God knows why)

The whole place always looks a complete mess and completely disorganized, however it gets completed so there must be some method to the madness!

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

One piece of advice i can offer as i made the mistake. Dont go in the afternoon thinking you will miss the morning scrum!. I turned up at 1.30pm and flew through all the tests, feeling very happy with myself thinking i would be done and dusted within a couple of hours until they informed me i would need to come back in the morning to watch the safety video. Last showing is at 1pm. (God knows why)

The whole place always looks a complete mess and completely disorganized, however it gets completed so there must be some method to the madness!

May I ask what DLT location your are referring to? I need to go to Land Transport Office at Sukhumvit 99/1, same as the OP and looking for information pertaining to the office.

Edited by BobTH

3 minutes ago, BobTH said:

May I ask what DLT location your are referring to?

The one just down past Ban Chak BTS.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BobTH said:

What location was this information from, thanks in advance.

Around soi 101. Near Bang Chak BTS. 

• Thanks 1