New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 21 January 2019 00:04
TerraplaneGuy

Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

A week ago I passed by the Nonthaburi khonsong and asked about the renewal procedures for my expired 5-year licenses. A lady gave me a piece of paper with four stages to complete prior to returning to the khonsong.

1. Passport and visa

2. Evidence of residential address from the embassy

3. A standard medical certificate

4. Licence

I went to the Embassy of Finland to get the Evidence of address. There was a local Thai worker there who told me the Embassy has nothing to do with the residential address verification. He told me the khonsong should advice people to go to the Thai Immigration office instead. They are the ones to give the needed evidences. I had to leave the Embassy empty handed.

Has anyone else had this problem in his/her Embassy?

I have gotten the evidence several times during the past 20 years from my Embassy but I wasn't given one anymore. Additionally, the Embassy's local Thai employee told me the address verification costs only some 200 Baht in the Immigration. He seemed to be very well aware about the Driver's Licence renewal procedures.

Btw. Currently I'm in Thailand on a 1-month stamp in the Passport. Have people had their licences renewed with only the 1-month stamp? I wasn't given the three month visa back in home at the Thai Embassy. The Thai Embassy required a letter from employer or university in order to get the 3-month visa.

10 hours ago, Wasan said:

A week ago I passed by the Nonthaburi khonsong and asked about the renewal procedures for my expired 5-year licenses. A lady gave me a piece of paper with four stages to complete prior to returning to the khonsong.

1. Passport and visa

2. Evidence of residential address from the embassy

3. A standard medical certificate

4. Licence

I went to the Embassy of Finland to get the Evidence of address. There was a local Thai worker there who told me the Embassy has nothing to do with the residential address verification. He told me the khonsong should advice people to go to the Thai Immigration office instead. They are the ones to give the needed evidences. I had to leave the Embassy empty handed.

Has anyone else had this problem in his/her Embassy?

I have gotten the evidence several times during the past 20 years from my Embassy but I wasn't given one anymore. Additionally, the Embassy's local Thai employee told me the address verification costs only some 200 Baht in the Immigration. He seemed to be very well aware about the Driver's Licence renewal procedures.

Btw. Currently I'm in Thailand on a 1-month stamp in the Passport. Have people had their licences renewed with only the 1-month stamp? I wasn't given the three month visa back in home at the Thai Embassy. The Thai Embassy required a letter from employer or university in order to get the 3-month visa.

I believe the US Embassy will still give you a Residence Certificate if you hold a US passport to verify your address but it costs $50 US dollars or about 1,638 baht but you get it the same day. At Chaengwattana Immigration in Bangkok you can get one for 200 baht but they will only mail it to you and it can take up to 3 weeks to receive and they will only issue it to you if you have done a 90 day report with them. And I would think they mean a recent one because I was asked to see my last 90 day report when I applied last time this year. But as you know things can work differently at different offices here but this is the case at the US Embassy and Chaengwattana Immigration offices. They are changing the rules for the income verification notary services at some Embassies, I am not sure if this is why your Embassy rules have changed or not. At any rate good luck.

Any advice from Australians to get a residency certificate ~ I have to get 5 year driving license, 2 year temp expiring. Australian Embassy won't issue residency certificate anymore they told me; Immigration at Chaeng Wattana say they can't because I'm "not in the system" as I've never undertaken 90 day reporting. (For 6 years I've travelled overseas at least every 3 months so always used TM6s).

I just renewed my 5 year license today at the Sukhumvit, Bang Chak BTS, land transportation office.

As pointed out by others in this thread for 5 year renewal

1. Certificate of address not needed (if you have a WP)

2. Copy of your license not needed

3. Medical certificate not needed

4. Only bring a copy of your Passport and Work Permit along with the originals.

5. Best to go around 12noon and get in the last batch of people being processed. Going early, you will be in the cattle pen with mops of people and will take you an extra hour.

6. Go after your license has expired for an extra year.

Points of notice

1. The dreaded peripheral vision test has been greatly improved. They removed that white light that used be pointed at your face and blind you. It is now a soft light above your head. Very easy to see the colors now.

2. My group of people didn't need to do the color vision test. I guess if you can see the colors for the other tests, that was good enough.

3. I noticed that the gas peddle test would go from GREEN to RED consistently between 3 and 5 seconds (start counting "1" the moment the peddle is pressed). 70% of the time, the RED light appeared at 5 seconds, and 30% at 3 seconds. During my test, when I counted past 3 seconds and the light was still green, I new it would turn red at 5 seconds. I hit the brake in record time, and the lady gave me a surprised smile at my impressive performance. 🙂

I moved to Sathorn area in BKK and now looks like I have to get my 5 year licences renewed at the Region 1 Office in Bang Khun Thian, not the Sukhumvit office.  I started a separate thread about that.  Does anybody on this thread have any experience with the Region 1 Office?  For example do you need a medical certificate there to renew and do they require 2 original residence certificates if you're renewing for both car and motorbike?

When I went to get my 2 years temp driving license, car + motor for the first time I took two residence certificates, cost me 300b x 2 = 600b,  but the lady at DLT office looked me with surprise and said why do you have two originals ,  you only need one plus a copy...! 

On 1/11/2019 at 3:20 PM, Agusts said:

When I went to get my 2 years temp driving license, car + motor for the first time I took two residence certificates, cost me 300b x 2 = 600b,  but the lady at DLT office looked me with surprise and said why do you have two originals ,  you only need one plus a copy...! 

What DLT office was that?

On 1/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

I moved to Sathorn area in BKK and now looks like I have to get my 5 year licences renewed at the Region 1 Office in Bang Khun Thian, not the Sukhumvit office.  I started a separate thread about that.  Does anybody on this thread have any experience with the Region 1 Office?  For example do you need a medical certificate there to renew and do they require 2 original residence certificates if you're renewing for both car and motorbike?

I don't think it matters which office you go to. According to the website I am supposed to go to the Main Office Chatuchak and have always went to Area 3 on Sukhumivt like you. They have never said a word.