Renewing 5 year driver's licence in BKK

TerraplaneGuy

On 3/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, Beni said:

I am just not clear on whether I definitely need a residency certificate or if my work permit is enough for proof of residency.

Your work permit is enough. You don't need a residency certificate if you have a work permit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, ocddave said:

I am going in tomorrow to renew my 2 yr license to a 5 year, I thought I used my Yellow Book for proof of residency last time, hoping that is enough?

Just an update for anyone else, I just finished my conversion from 2 yr temp to 5 yr license at Nonthaburi. Below is the list of items they took, I brought more but they handed back most of the copies.

List of Items needed:

Pink Card

2 yr Temp Drivers License

Medical Certificate

copies of Yellow Book pages - (Signed)

copy of Passport Main page - (Signed)

copy of Passport last Stamped page - (Signed) - (in my case it was the 30 day under consideration for my 1 Yr non-Immigrant "O" marriage extension)

No video needs to be watched when going from 2yr temp to 5 yr, though they informed me I would have to watch the video on 5-5 conversion next time. My wife and I had pre-booked using the Online App, but we didn't need to do so. We just needed to do the colorblind tests, and the depth perception test, then get our pictures taken (and pay), and then we were out the door.

• 3 weeks later...

Need to get a five-year licence. I did the two-year in Pattaya, can I do the five-year in Bangkok?

Also. Please, does any one know: how long after a two-year licence has expired can you upgrade to a five-year licence?

My two-year licence expired in February (I've been away for work).

Please kindly advise! Thank you!

@JRG23 You can apply wherever you reside. You will have to supply proof of residence anyway.

In Bangkok I believe you have 90 days after expiry to renew. After that you have to start again.

Remember that a 5 year license is only available to those on a 1 year extension of stay. You will find it tough getting a 5 year license on a visa exempt, a visa on arrival or a 90 day visa.

Archived