Selling a Car in Bangkok that is registered in Chiang Mai

I have just moved to Bangkok with my 6 month old Honda Jazz I bought and registered in Chiang Mai. I have to go back to the UK and wish to sell my car as soon as possible. I am told however that I need to change the registration of the car to Bangkok before selling it here. Is this correct?  I am also told I need a certificate of residency for my new Bangkok address before I can change the registration to Bangkok but Immigration in Chang Wattanha say I cannot have a certificate until I have done a 90 day report in Bangkok. I did one in Chiang Mai just before I left 3 weeks ago. Ideally I need to go back to the UK soon for medical treatment but am stuck here until I sell my car as I am not expecting to come back for a while. I guess one option is to go back to Chiang Mai to sell it but I am living in Bangkok now and need 2 weekly hospital visits here and not meant to drive now. Someone mentioned giving power of attorney to someone else to sell the car on my behalf but not sure if that overcomes the issue of the car being registered in Chiang Mai and sold in Bangkok. Alternatively I am told I have to go to the transportation office in Chiang Mai to do a sale transfer. I am very confused! Any helpful suggestions or advice welcome. It was registered in January 2018, done 12,300km and as new. It is manual transmission. I am hoping to get around 465,000 bht if anyone knows anyone who may be interested. Photo attached (red plate no longer on the car)

IMG_2952.jpg

There's no need for you to change number plates...leave that to the new buyer...get a certificate of residence from Chaingmai...give the new buyer a "power of attorney" form certificate of residence ,receipt of sale,copy of your passport and visa,sign the blue book , that should be more than enough for them to get it transferred into their name.

If you're in a big hurry some car dealerships will take it ..but you might not get as much as you would from a private sale.

1 hour ago, johng said:

There's no need for you to change number plates...leave that to the new buyer...get a certificate of residence from Chaingmai...give the new buyer a "power of attorney" form certificate of residence ,receipt of sale,copy of your passport and visa,sign the blue book , that should be more than enough for them to get it transferred into their name.

If you're in a big hurry some car dealerships will take it ..but you might not get as much as you would from a private sale.

Thank you. So I need to return to Chiang Mai to get a certificate of residence there? Will the buyer need to go to Chiang Mai Transport Office to do the transfer?

Unless you can somehow get a certificate from Bangkok immigration (doubtful without 90 day report) you could try the British embassy which is a bit expensive...otherwise yes back to Chaingmai...I read they will issue same day for a small fee...or you can wait 3 weeks if you want it for free.
The new buyer doesn't have to go to Chaingmai they can do everything in their "home" province which ever province that happens to be.

31 minutes ago, johng said:

Unless you can somehow get a certificate from Bangkok immigration (doubtful without 90 day report) you could try the British embassy which is a bit expensive...otherwise yes back to Chaingmai...I read they will issue same day for a small fee...or you can wait 3 weeks if you want it for free.
The new buyer doesn't have to go to Chaingmai they can do everything in their "home" province which ever province that happens to be.

Problem is I don't have a property lease to get a certificate of residency in Chiang Mai or would they certify my Bangkok address?

Ok maybe you are stuck with the British embassy...or you could try going to Pattaya for a "holiday" and get a certificate from Jomtien immigration..I read they will issue with just a hotel address..but have not tried myself.

1 minute ago, johng said:

Ok maybe you are stuck with the British embassy...or you could try going to Pattaya for a "holiday" and get a certificate from Jomtien immigration..I read they will issue with just a hotel address..but have not tried myself.

Thank you!

17 hours ago, johng said:

Everything you say is correct, but doing it that way could limit the pool of potential buyers. I, for one, will only ever buy a used car, if I can go together with the seller to the DLT, and hand over the money when the blue book has been registered in my name. I would never take the chance, that there is something wrong with the paperwork, and I wouldn't be able to do the transfer.

Sophon

14 minutes ago, Sophon said:

if I can go together with the seller to the DLT, and hand over the money when the blue book has been registered in my name.

What if the car is registered and residing in Chaingmai but you live in Bangkok...you are limiting yourself to  only vehicle registered in your own province..you can't expect a seller to come to you and change vehicle province +  say the op changed registration to Bangkok and next week he has a buyer from Chaingmai wanting the car ?

All vehicles I've bought in Thailand 3 cars and 8 motorcycles  never once went with the seller to the DLT, get a receipt of sale,power of attorney,green/blue book signed by present owner and copy of their ID card or passport + visa...

20 minutes ago, johng said:

What if the car is registered and residing in Chaingmai but you live in Bangkok...you are limiting yourself to  only vehicle registered in your own province..you can't expect a seller to come to you and change vehicle province +  say the op changed registration to Bangkok and next week he has a buyer from Chaingmai wanting the car ?

All vehicles I've bought in Thailand 3 cars and 8 motorcycles  never once went with the seller to the DLT, get a receipt of sale,power of attorney,green/blue book signed by present owner and copy of their ID card or passport + visa...

Thank you. Last question I promise. I am told I don't need a certificate of residency to sell the car; only to  buy it. Just Passport and Visa. Do you know if that is correct?

4 minutes ago, GilesA said:

I am told I don't need a certificate of residency to sell the car;

Told by whom ?   it seems to depend on each province as to whether a foreigner needs one to sell or not

I've been keeping a small list of opinions  collected from this here forum

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is
Chonburi/Pattaya  yes
Nakhornratchasima/Korat  yes @ rdrokit
Khon Kaen  ??
Buriram for sure yes
Chiang Mai ?   yes @ramrod711    @idman  = no  @anto = no
Surin @idman = no
BKK ?

Sorry its so confusing   I wish they would drag themselves into the 21st century...there is no need for all the hassle it can and should all be done online...with one central  office handling paperwork  like the DVLA.

You could also go ask at one of the local ( MOT) testing centers displaying this sign..to see if they can help.

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

26 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

What was the purchase price? not sure of how but I'm in Chiang Mai if you get bogged down and need help?

I am asking 465,000 bht. Best offer I have had so far is 430,000 bht

16 minutes ago, johng said:

Told by whom ?   it seems to depend on each province as to whether a foreigner needs one to sell or not

I've been keeping a small list of opinions  collected from this here forum

Sorry its so confusing   I wish they would drag themselves into the 21st century...there is no need for all the hassle it can and should all be done online...with one central  office handling paperwork  like the DVLA.

You could also go ask at one of the local ( MOT) testing centers displaying this sign..to see if they can help.

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

Thank you

I will go to immigration again and insist they give me a certificate of residency! Lets see where that gets me! Seems crazy I have to wait 90 days to get a certificate of residency before I can then sell my car. I can't really get one in CM as I don't have a lease to show I live there. Crazy even for Thailand!

2 minutes ago, GilesA said:

Thank you

I will go to immigration again and insist they give me a certificate of residency! Lets see where that gets me! Seems crazy I have to wait 90 days to get a certificate of residency before I can then sell my car. I can't really get one in CM as I don't have a lease to show I live there. Crazy even for Thailand!

Just a thought. My Thai driving licence shows the same address as my Bluebook (and has my passport number so corresponds with my passport). Do you think that would be adequate ? ?

1 minute ago, GilesA said:

I will go to immigration again and insist they give me a certificate of residency!

go to the testing center (some are very helpful) first and ask them what the procedure is in your present location (which is Bangkok)

some provinces department of land transportation ( DLT) don't seem to require a certificate  others do.

also some immigration offices wont give you a residence certificate until you have done a 90 day report

again it depends on the office....  have you been to any car dealership  to see what they offer..it will probably be a bit lower than a private sale but  quick and easy for you.

Archived