Mad Dog's Closed?

millwall_fan

I have just heard form a normally reputable source that Mad Dogs bar by the moat has closed down as the landlord has sold the building without telling Nick. If true this would be a very sad end to one of Chiang Mai's longest standing Farang bars. I really hope this news is incorrect. Can anyone confirm or deny it?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

Thanks for that sanemax! My apologies for the false alarm, TV people! Great news though. Mad Dogs has provided decent food and beer since I first came to Thailand back in 1900 and frozen stiff.

Just had breakfast there this morning, from what Nick says he has about a year or two left on his lease. The landlord had mentioned a while back about building a hotel on the property but the last time I ask Nick he had heard no more. Building a smal guest house or hotel isn't a good idea at present the police have been going around giving the small places a bad time, no one really knows where they stand at present

2 hours ago, moontang said:

According to Tripadvisor, that bar just south of MD closed a few months ago.  Blue Sky....

That is still open as well .

Although Spotlight has closed , but they re opened around the corner , where the old Spicey used to be . (The Spicey  around the corner from where it is now)

DSCF2167.JPG

DSCF2170.JPG

15 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I would never patronize that dump. They allow smoking in there! I know they do because as you walk by, you can smell the cigarette smoke!

I could see how that would be a negative during the six months that the entire city doesn't smell like a smoldering campfire.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I would never patronize that dump. They allow smoking in there! I know they do because as you walk by, you can smell the cigarette smoke!

Smoking isnt allowed in there , people stand outside and smoke

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

That is still open as well .

Although Spotlight has closed , but they re opened around the corner , where the old Spicey used to be . (The Spicey  around the corner from where it is now)

DSCF2167.JPG

DSCF2170.JPG

Does this mean that Spotlight has lost it`s Gogo status and is now just a plain beerbar?

11 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Thanks for that sanemax! My apologies for the false alarm, TV people! Great news though. Mad Dogs has provided decent food and beer since I first came to Thailand back in 1900 and frozen stiff.

I do believe you must be the absolutely oldest TV member ever!  To what do you ascribe your longevity?  MD's food and beer?

10 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

I do believe you must be the absolutely oldest TV member ever!  To what do you ascribe your longevity?  MD's food and beer?

sorry, some of us members were here before MD even opened.  Tell Nick i miss the sesame seeds he used

to put on the outer crust.   All in all he has maintained good quality all these years.....so deserves credit !

Not many places can do that.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

sorry, some of us members were here before MD even opened.  Tell Nick i miss the sesame seeds he used

to put on the outer crust.   All in all he has maintained good quality all these years.....so deserves credit !

Not many places can do that.

The Overlander

30 minutes ago, Loaded said:

The Overlander

was it called that before Nick bought it?

wonder what the heck has happenned to the "old timers".

was kinda nice back then walking around the moat area........

a little less hectic than nowadays

but nowadays i live far away,  where the birds and the buffalo play.

i still go in once in a while.... Fon and Gai getting a bit older  lol

pizza still good

14 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Jeepers 1900!   must be Thailand's oldest bar and the farangs do look a little 'weathered' in there

14 minutes ago, rumak said:

Sanemax........are you one of the regulars sitting there at 11 am with a beer ?

or is that Mad Max ?

No, not me, I just go in there for the occasional feed , usually just for a breakfast in the afternoon 

2 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

'1900 and Frozen Stiff' was a phrase coined by Pte Walker in the British TV comedy Dad's Army to describe an indeterminate time in the distant past.  I hope that clarifies things for you!!

Just now, millwall_fan said:

'1900 and Frozen Stiff' was a phrase coined by Pte Walker in the British TV comedy Dad's Army to describe an indeterminate time in the distant past.  I hope that clarifies things for you!!

Really?  even after an extensive Google search (Googled the phrase, Dads Army, Pvt Walker).  I can't find it so it can't be very well known and certainly not in common use. Anyway thanks for the enlightenment (sort of).

7222120cc6612601c74ae4ca24d723666d6280b3.jpg

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Really?  even after an extensive Google search (Googled the phrase, Dads Army, Pvt Walker).  I can't find it so it can't be very well known and certainly not in common use. Anyway thanks for the enlightenment (sort of).

7222120cc6612601c74ae4ca24d723666d6280b3.jpg

BobBKK 'You stupid boy!'

Seriously: I've got every episode downloaded, but I confess I can't remember which episode it was......another excuse to start watching them all again! It would have been a reaction by Walker to one of Corporal Jones' reminiscences about the Battle of Omdurman or long forgotten battle!

6 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

BobBKK 'You stupid boy!'

Seriously: I've got every episode downloaded, but I confess I can't remember which episode it was......another excuse to start watching them all again! It would have been a reaction by Walker to one of Corporal Jones' reminiscences about the Battle of Omdurman or long forgotten battle!

Just teasing you a bit  ?  it was a great series

Maddog will close and move to a new location.  The English owner is planning on re-opening and is actively looking for a suitable location.  The only remaining question is the actual date the current location will close its door.  Spotlight is still the best Go Go bar in Chiang Mai, even at the new location.  The layout is OK but is a far cryfrom the original site.  Not to my liking as the oval shape bar is not at the new location.  The talent level however is still the same, top shelf stuff.

Just now, idman said:

Maddog will close and move to a new location.  The English owner is planning on re-opening and is actively looking for a suitable location.  The only remaining question is the actual date the current location will close its door.  Spotlight is still the best Go Go bar in Chiang Mai, even at the new location.  The layout is OK but is a far cryfrom the original site.  Not to my liking as the oval shape bar is not at the new location.  The talent level however is still the same, top shelf stuff.

I wondered where that had gone. It's moved huh?

1 hour ago, idman said:

So it looks like my informant was kind of correct but somewhat premature! 

When you say Spotlight is still the best Go-Go bar in Chiang Mai......isn't it the only Go-Go bar in Chiang Mai? Know ye of any others? 

3 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

The talent level however is still the same, top shelf stuff.

I haven't been in there in years .  What i did see ,  well let's just say that our top shelves must be different.

This truly is one time I just have to say ......"you should have been here 20 years ago ! "

Archived